van321

Jan 7, 2021
Good game; it does a great job of making dope the one hated antagonist (Hector notwithstanding), and everyone else, even Jose, is relatable or at least understandable.

I really like Audrey as a character (mainly her character archetype), though I'm not sure I completely buy why she's fallen head over heels for the MC. At times it feels like she throws herself at him, whereas that kind of behavior feels more natural with Mary (best friend with benefits going back years) and Sam (MC and her are similar and love seducing each other). I can't for the heart of me play the Junkie path knowing it involves corrupting Audrey (it looks like in the Gallery I missed some Audrey scenes).

Zoey Raven

Game Developer/Walkthrough/Guide Maker
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Good game; it does a great job of making dope the one hated antagonist (Hector notwithstanding), and everyone else, even Jose, is relatable or at least understandable.

I really like Audrey as a character (mainly her character archetype), though I'm not sure I completely buy why she's fallen head over heels for the MC. At times it feels like she throws herself at him, whereas that kind of behavior feels more natural with Mary (best friend with benefits going back years) and Sam (MC and her are similar and love seducing each other). I can't for the heart of me play the Junkie path knowing it involves corrupting Audrey (it looks like in the Gallery I missed some Audrey scenes).
Because Audrey's been in love with him for years and has just now found the confidence to actually express it. Also the more contact she has with him the more she feels it.

Reactions: c_oriole

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
Excellent interview! Congratulations on 13 years! My late wife had 21 years when she died in a freak accident, so from my time with her I know how precious your years are. You're producing one hell of an excellent VN. Thank you for sharing, if not exactly your story, then your knowledge about the life experiences the addicted among us.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Excellent interview! Congratulations on 13 years! My late wife had 21 years when she died in a freak accident, so from my time with her I know how precious your years are. You're producing one hell of an excellent VN. Thank you for sharing, if not exactly your story, then your knowledge about the life experiences the addicted among us.
Thank you, and I'm sorry you lost you wife too soon. I can't imagine what that would be like.

Reactions: UncleFredo
Jul 6, 2021
Yeah, don't think I congratulated you yet. It's a big accomplishment making even 1 year. I worked in a facility that started as a D & A treatment, then move to the DUI/HWH unit (DUI = 60 days for people who got a 2nd DUI, HWH = halfway house for people who finished D & A for further treatment) but then moved to a parole violator unit. DUI ones were more successful at least from what I could see, but Drugs and HWH came back sometimes and I sometimes saw their names in the paper (either jailed or OD death) later because they relapsed. One guy was there 3 times, then in the corrections unit after a state prison sentence, then died from that damn fentanyl/heroin mix. Too many never make it, others never even make a real effort. Some of the court committed planned on using the minute they got out. One on the night before release snuck heroin in and OD'd in the early AM. I had to call 911 on him. They got to him on time and got him out of it on Naloxone or whatever then had in the early 2000s that did similar. He went to jail. He had hours before he'd get out and could likely get away out there. No idea whatever became of him. Place closed in 2008, and this was before 2004. I was moved to a corrections unit in about 2006 - or the corrections movement was moved where I was assigned actually. Worked 3rd shift very late 1998 - March 2008. With a couple weeks on 1st.

Reactions: Zoey Raven

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
First time player - although I have been a low-tier patron for longer than the game exists.

That said: Anyone else feels ... weird playing this game?
I don't even smoke, I rarely drink. The way the addiction is presented in this game is horrifying. At least at the first chapter (where I am). It seems the whole existence of these two young people is centered around getting their next fix. And while it is not reflected in the game mechanics, from the dialogue it seems like there's something similar to a "time limit".

If I saw a witch's curse in a fantasy game that had such effects, forcing one to live to next hit and require it as often I would say "Come on... that's too much."
Even in vampire games, the vampire usually can go a couple of nights before things get bad. At least from the first chapter it seems like both the MC and his girlfriend would get nuts AND get sick if they go even 48 hours without a needle.

Spatenklopper

Jun 4, 2021
I don't even smoke, I rarely drink. The way the addiction is presented in this game is horrifying. At least at the first chapter (where I am). It seems the whole existence of these two young people is centered around getting their next fix. And while it is not reflected in the game mechanics, from the dialogue it seems like there's something similar to a "time limit".
Then you have no idea what real addiction means, because that's exactly what it is.

Reactions: UncleFredo

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
First time player - although I have been a low-tier patron for longer than the game exists.

That said: Anyone else feels ... weird playing this game?

If I saw a witch's curse in a fantasy game that had such effects, forcing one to live to next hit and require it as often I would say "Come on... that's too much."
Even in vampire games, the vampire usually can go a couple of nights before things get bad. At least from the first chapter it seems like both the MC and his girlfriend would get nuts AND get sick if they go even 48 hours without a needle.
That's exactly how it should make you feel in the beginning, and it's the life of an addict. But, if you were to play on, you will find they are people too, that have lives and experiences just like anyone else. Might help to look up the physical effects of opiate addiction.

Comparing needing junk to a vampire needing blood is the very definition of fantasy and reality. Someone who has a physical dependence on opiates as strong as heroin starts feeling the affects of not having it in less than 12 hours. Source: Me. I lived this for many years. It's explained in the game overview.

One of the purposes of the game is to enlighten people like yourself about addicts as a whole.

The overall purpose of the game is to shed light on what it takes to get out of that, and get clean.

If you are only on chapter one, then much more is explained through the events and narrative of the game. Addiction is horrifying, but that's not the totality of the game. If you are interested in finding out, all I can say is play more. You've barely scratched the surface. Either way thanks for your patronage.

Last edited:

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
Then you have no idea what real addiction means, because that's exactly what it is.
That's thankfully true. Nobody in my close circle has such issues. People with such problems were always friends-of-friends or "that neighbor of that aunt of that friend".

The daughter of a family in my expanded circle was struggling with drugs at some point in her late teens. I don't know how it was as we rarely spoke and her parents were not open about it.
What I know is that eventually she moved to a different city, started a family and has a very decent job. I am friends with her at facebook but it's more the "happy birthday!" once per year kind.

The ex-husband of a cousin of my mother (divorced for like 30 years) was addicted and we suspect he was the one that broke into my aunt's house a couple of times. I have never seen that man in person. Just hear that he exists.

And that's the extend of my real-time exposure to the issues this game touches.

That's exactly how it should make you feel in the beginning, and it's the life of an addict. But, if you were to play on, you will find they are people too, that have lives and experiences just like anyone else. Might help to look up the physical effects of opiate addiction.

Comparing needing junk to a vampire needing blood is the very definition of fantasy and reality. Someone who has a physical dependence on opiates as strong as heroin starts feeling the affects of not having it in less than 12 hours. Source: Me. I lived this for many years. It's explained in the game overview.

One of the purposes of the game is to enlighten people like yourself about addicts as a whole.

The overall purpose of the game is to shed light on what it takes to get out of that, and get clean.

If you are only on chapter one, then much more is explained through the events and narrative of the game. Addiction is horrifying, but that's not the totality of the game. If you are interested in finding out, all I can say is play more. You've barely scratched the surface. Either way thanks for your patronage.
I was not trashing the game friend!
What I meant to convey is that at least as it seems right now, I would play even if there was no sex in it. If it wasn't for the disclaimer that you know what you're talking about in the game, I would have probably considered it extreme.
In the game (still first chapter) there's another woman (Mary) that seems to ... better manage the addiction. The one the MC calls naïve for leaving drugs on the table before she goes to the bathroom.

What is more... stunning in a way, is the way this is presented. TV shows or movies about such issues certainly exist and I bet some would be realistic and all. But they would be dark and sad etc. etc.
So far this game... it doesn't take a fatalistic, dark approach. Your commentary (at least in the 1st chapter) seems to be a bit dark and bubble-breaking but generally the game is not dark and brooding. It has its ups and downs.
Things are good and you watch two young people fucking and then you see them selling the grandma's ring and vomiting in alley... and then you see them watching movies, talking about how a steamy BJ could have turned to a threesome and avoid talking about how they could afford the drugs.
It's... unique. It is honest, I would say. Something like "This is how the life of some addicts is, without effort to make it seem bleak or gloss over the issues. Whether it is worse or better than you thought, that's what it is. And that's what addiction means - at least for those two."

I honestly would suggest that, after you finish the game, you should make a PG15+ version of it for steam, so I can send it to friends. Honestly, it can't be that hard to cut the adult parts; fade to black to the sex scenes should do it.

As for my patronage, I am very low tier patron, no need to thank me. :)

PS. I love your self-references in the game. They make me laugh.

Reactions: Spatenklopper

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
That's thankfully true. Nobody in my close circle has such issues. People with such problems were always friends-of-friends or "that neighbor of that aunt of that friend".

The daughter of a family in my expanded circle was struggling with drugs at some point in her late teens. I don't know how it was as we rarely spoke and her parents were not open about it.
What I know is that eventually she moved to a different city, started a family and has a very decent job. I am friends with her at facebook but it's more the "happy birthday!" once per year kind.

The ex-husband of a cousin of my mother (divorced for like 30 years) was addicted and we suspect he was the one that broke into my aunt's house a couple of times. I have never seen that man in person. Just hear that he exists.

And that's the extend of my real-time exposure to the issues this game touches.

I was not trashing the game friend!
What I meant to convey is that at least as it seems right now, I would play even if there was no sex in it. If it wasn't for the disclaimer that you know what you're talking about in the game, I would have probably considered it extreme.
In the game (still first chapter) there's another woman (Mary) that seems to ... better manage the addiction. The one the MC calls naïve for leaving drugs on the table before she goes to the bathroom.

What is more... stunning in a way, is the way this is presented. TV shows or movies about such issues certainly exist and I bet some would be realistic and all. But they would be dark and sad etc. etc.
So far this game... it doesn't take a fatalistic, dark approach. Your commentary (at least in the 1st chapter) seems to be a bit dark and bubble-breaking but generally the game is not dark and brooding. It has its ups and downs.
Things are good and you watch two young people fucking and then you see them selling the grandma's ring and vomiting in alley... and then you see them watching movies, talking about how a steamy BJ could have turned to a threesome and avoid talking about how they could afford the drugs.
It's... unique. It is honest, I would say. Something like "This is how the life of some addicts is, without effort to make it seem bleak or gloss over the issues. Whether it is worse or better than you thought, that's what it is. And that's what addiction means - at least for those two."

I honestly would suggest that, after you finish the game, you should make a PG15+ version of it for steam, so I can send it to friends. Honestly, it can't be that hard to cut the adult parts; fade to black to the sex scenes should do it.

As for my patronage, I am very low tier patron, no need to thank me. :)

PS. I love your self-references in the game. They make me laugh.
I didn't take it as you trashing the game at all, I just wanted to be clear on why they would be in that state so quickly. Thanks for playing, and glad you enjoy it!

Spatenklopper

Jun 4, 2021
I don't want to completely destroy your illusion now, but what you are proposing may seem good, but it is not.
This is still a game, one with a heavy background, but still one to feel good about.

The bare reality of an addict is different and not for the better.

If you want to ruin young people's desire for drugs, take them to where the "corpses" are.
It's brutal but effective, just like drugs.

4.50 star(s) 128 Votes