VN Ren'Py Onhold Overpowered [Ep. 12] [YoshiGames]

4.40 star(s) 19 Votes

tsunku

Engaged Member
Nov 6, 2017
While running game code:
IOError: Couldn't find file 'Ep10/tooru/tooru1.webm'.

eh??

ugh i can't get past that, why did you forget it?!?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020
So dude, good for you who have fun immersing yourself in story. There are games that players can immerse themselves in, but many visual novels aren't necessarily meant for that, they're generally meant to be interactive books where the player chooses the character's fate.

But I didn't come to tell you how you should play, you play how you want. I just wanted to make my point.

However, I noticed that people only make this request to change the character's name when the game has a male protagonist, because when it's a game with a female protagonist, no one asks to add the ability to change her name and if they ask, it's a minority too small.

Anyway, if it's about immersion, instead of just asking them to add ability to choose the protagonist's name, why not ask to add ability to pick the protagonist's gender as well?

It is just a reflection here that I would like to leave for everyone.

Although I personally don't feel the need to add name choice or anything like that, as Ren is clearly a character, just note that the choices are displayed in third person.

Again, I just wanted to prove my point and not dictate how others should play, you are still free to play how you want and want to immerse yourself in the games.
The reason why people don't ask for the ability to change the protagonist's gender is because it means a whole lot more work for the dev in making all those new renders to fit the new gender and then changing the dialogue to fit the new gender as well and suddenly you've got a VN that's double the download size and will double the amount of time it takes to make an update for the VN... (this is all imo)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: masterdragonson

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
The reason why people don't ask for the ability to change the protagonist's gender is because it means a whole lot more work for the dev in making all those new renders to fit the new gender and then changing the dialogue to fit the new gender as well and suddenly you've got a VN that's double the download size and will double the amount of time it takes to make an update for the VN... (this is all imo)
It's easier when there is a 3d engine behind it however for pre-rendered stuff that is the case. Triple the work load and maybe a relatively decent payoff. With swapping genders the writer either has to make the scenes more generic for dynamic gender pronouns or make vastly different scenes dependent on gender which takes more time.

This sadly is also why customizing the girls with different accessories is also a problem when everything is pre-baked. I always find it cute when you can gift girls things and they wear them.

As for the protagonist name it's not that hard to implement though there is a difference in wanting to be the hero vs how many dicks can you take. With mild tweaks to the code that patch could easily work on other Ren'Py games. Not sure about Unity games though since some auto translators inject a script into it to make that possible working out a similar concept shouldn't be that hard. Pretty much the same applies to RPG Maker games... For custom engines well that's a different story.

Still whether you play with the original name or a custom one, it's a fun game so hopefully people enjoy it :D

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
Not for the last three updates though. I would hate to have to start over with joiplay.
As a consolation prize if you get your saves from the 'Andriod/data/App Directory' and put them in 'game/saves' they will still work.

But yeah not having official support does cause issues.

Reactions: Pudthumper

jadih96207

Apr 30, 2021
Looks like your patreon last got an update in December so whats up? Any ETA on the next release? How you been doing?

Edit from Reya the Elf thread
The game will receive updates this month. Like I said on Overpowered thread, I had to pause the work on both games for a while but I'm back now

Last edited:

ActuallyArma

Sep 7, 2020
Chizuru's phone early in the game: Call from Baka-Nephew
Chizuru later in the game: I wonder where my Baka-Nephew is. I can't believe I forgot to take his phone number

I don't think she doesn't have his number and even if she didn't there's still your call history lol.

4.40 star(s) 19 Votes