VN - Ren'Py - Pale Carnations [Ch. 4 Up 4 Public] [Mutt & Jeff]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Gallion

Hell of a game.
    Perfect mix with the modern western games and the japanese VN I used to play. The renders are fantastics, maybe except for Veronica for her specific physic who can be unattractive to some people, all the LI characters are gorgeous.
    Very intriguing story who create a very strange tension, with the MC being involved with some wicked stuff in a closed and dark environment.

Have a great time to play it.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Shadofax

I love Honey Select like fk. This game is perfect on so many levels for me. I get bored with Daz because there aren't many people that can create fresh chicks and most of the games that are made with it have the same characters. HS seems to have way more options to make girls. Thank you! :p
  3. 5.00 star(s)

doc-jones

At first, I was put off playing this game because of the artistic style, but I saw the reviews and I thought, I could power through. Once the story got going and I saw some of the girls in all of their glory, I immediately called myself an idiot for not playing this game sooner. The MC looks like a dork and I hate his hairstyle, but the game is legitimately so good it powers through that as well.

The story is sublime, the choices are absolutely insane to think about, how many different ways the story could seem to go, and I genuinely think there is no weak link between any of the girls, I was a little disappointed Lucy did not become a main character, but every single one of the carnations really make me feel something for them, which is great in a game about power dynamics. Mina and Hana as the "girlfriend" material characters are also amazing, and honestly, I do not know who I will pick at the end, all 5 girls are my favorite when they are the last one on the screen.

The "bromance" leaves a lot to be desired, because whenever I start coming around to Ian, I see how he treats women in this game, and while you can see where he learned it from, there seems to be a path to turn him into a good dude, I'd rather keep my distance, and I think that's okay. I like how there is ambiguity in the decisions.

All in all, this is one of the best games on this site, I literally reached the end of the latest update (CH. 4 Update 3 at the time of writing this) and audibly went 'No!" Now I'm going to have to wait for updates like everyone else has probably been doing, way to go devs, you have a new fan!

Also towards the end of the update I am at, the MC gets a makeover with a new hairstyle and he loses the glasses for a night, and I literally went 'Finally". The MC is a great, well-written character with childhood trauma that isn't overbearing but you can clearly tell it affects him, the only thing that was holding him back was the dweeb haircut and the glasses, I think it was great!
  4. 5.00 star(s)

SixtyNineGaming

This is a VN with incredible writing and I regret not playing it earlier. The main highlight of this one is it's writing. I love when creators put realistic characters in absurd scenarios - if done well, it can lead to some very good stories. That is why I love magical realism stories and that is one of the reasons pale carnations is so good.

Every single character, including the protagonist, is fully fleshed out and feels like a real person. This contrasts well with the high end brothel/ sex game setting and leads to some great story telling.

Also, as a person who LOVES muscular women, I fell in love with Veronica. I love how the dev didn't just leave it as an aesthetic thing, and instead fleshed it out by making her love for the gym both her backstory and her motivation. Its rare seeing muscular women in media, but seeing one whose muscles actually matter to the story was truly refreshing.

I also love how the dev represented LGBT+/queer people. As a bi/pansexual person, I feel sad with the amount of latent homophobia in a lot of VNs. Veronica's bisexuality is never questioned, and her marriage with a woman is treated casually. The MC doesn't do the awful "no homo" thing when asked if he ever felt attracted to men. The aromantic girl doesn't get treated as a freaky/bad thing.

I used to see the 4.9 stars and think that there's no way the game could be that incredible, but after playing it, I can say it deserves that rating.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

hyfka

V.: Ch4 Update 3

There is quite a bit of content here.
    The story is both the main strength as well as weakness of this game.
    On one hand, there are a few different routes and options feel like they matter.
    But on the other hand the story is always very grim and dark. At times it feels like your choices didn't make a difference and things are constantly going to shit either way.

As a side note, since prostitution and hard BDSM is the main theme of the game, you get to see plenty of other male characters get their dick wet. And while not technically NTR, you also get to see MCs mom get gangbanged a lot. As for the five main girls, they get fucked by a woman and blackmailed etc, but the furthest it goes with other male NPCs is a bukkake scene (and optional sharing)

Basically it's a great game but was just a tad too grim/extreme at times for my taste.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Mr_Stubbs

A game that truly deserves the title of Masterpiece!

Excellent story and elegant visual style.

Animations of sex scenes are realized at the highest level.

A lot of unique and charming female characters for every taste and color.

The presence of variability and various fetishes.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

JohnTestpilot

Very natural writing, non-cringy dialogue, no recycled tropes, believable plot, no stupid meme references, all(most) girls are likeable, MC is for once not some perfect, filthy rich Gary Stu but also not a retarded loser incel. The game gives enough freedom as to make choices that actually has some impact. A bit heavy on the BDSM side but not full-on fetish-specific, also not wholesome vanilla but incredibly a lot of nuance.

Undoubtably one of the best Honey Select renpy games if not the best, Pale Carnations is one those adult VNs you should absolutely pay attention to even if you don't like the subject matter explored in the game.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

ogoman

This is the first time I've ever felt compelled to leave a review on this site. While the subject matter tackled in this story is not at all conventional and in-line with what I normally would like, I have a great deal of respect for the story, its characters, and of course, its authors. Each character feels incredibly compelling and has a great deal of depth. Some of the choices are extremely challenging, purely on a moral level. I think this is just a testament to the level of writing found in this story, which is so far unmatched in my opinion. After playing several other VNs (some of the other top ones on this site), I had sort of forgotten that writing can genuinely be this good. I cannot even begin to adequately articulate just how fucking amazing I have found the experience of playing this game, This is one of the best VNs i played... 10/10 hands down
  9. 5.00 star(s)

PhantomRem

Review For Pale Carnations(Ch.4 Update 2)
    Before beginning this review I just want to say that this game is without a doubt the peak for what VN games should strife to be,100% deserves its top 3 rating on this site. I always avoided this game since I heard a lot of great things about it, and I wanted to make sure it had enough content before diving in, and after playing the current update available to the public, It was all they said it would be and more!
    1.The Main Character
    Starting of with the main character Edwin, what immediately grabbed my interest about him is that he isn't the typical good guy protagonist most other main characters are on this site, yes you can still play as a good guy(which is pretty preferable since most of the main girls in the game rather nice guy Edwin) but embracing his sadistic side is more enjoyable, so I played the asshole Edwin with the help of a walkthrough mod, because trust me if you go full blown bastard you will lose a lot of points with the girls, which is pretty weird since the whole premise of the game takes place in a brothel and only a few of them enjoys him being rude, but it did not take away my enjoyment for the game and I got most of the scenes so that's a win in my book. All in all he is a pretty interesting character and I cant wait to see how far he descends down the road of his true desires.
    2.The Main Story
    The Plot is pretty straight-forward, you play as a guy who is studying to go med-school to become a doctor and with the help of your best friend, lands a job at an esteemed brothel for the rich, at first the main character is pretty hesitant but he quickly adopts to his surroundings and meets a lot of interesting characters along the way. There are some interesting conspiracies brewing in the background while the main character goes about his daily life and i can see that he is most likely going to be in the centre of it.
    3.The Main Girls
    Next up are the main girls. at first I was pretty hesitant about how good they would be, I mostly play harem games on here but I have no issues with brothel games, I didn't know if I would really like any of them since I figured they would be banging other guys on the daily, but thank god that most of the main females aren't actual whores so it makes the experience better. Mina, Hana and Felicia are without a doubt my favourites, I appreciate that the dev lets you romance Hana if you go her path, and Mina is my favourite out of the 3 with Hana in a close second. I would have liked to see a poly relationship with Hana, Mina and our main character, it has been discussed a bit between both the girls as jokes but it would be pretty great. At the moment though Hana wants a strictly traditional relationship so I don't really see that threesome coming any time soon, which is a bummer since you essentially have to choose between the 2 of them, still I have no doubts the dev will somehow make that work somewhere down the line.
    My Final Thoughts
    Playing through this has been an amazing experience, also the fact I started the game around the time the next update already announced to release soon, makes me pretty excited to continue where I left off, If anyone is still on the fence about the game for whatever reason, play it you wont be disappointed, yes it isn't a harem game, but the relationships you form with the characters make the experience worth it.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

Much Too Desensitized

I cannot even begin to adequately articulate just how fucking amazing I have found the experience of playing this game. Seriously. I've read at least several dozen essay-length reviews about aspects of this story in this comment section - all better than I could ever manage - and I've found myself agreeing with most of them.

Just...

Only so many games make you start crying while your dick is in your hand, okay?
  11. 4.00 star(s)

meltyquestfan

Rating:

This is seriously a masterpiece, no doubt about it. But man, oh man, they really dropped the ball when it comes to the choices. Like, what were they thinking? It's like they have no clue how to make choices that actually make sense in a game. And don't even get me started on having to go back and fix those choices. But hey, despite my rant, I still think this game is the bomb. I'll definitely be back for more. Best of luck to the devs!

if you really want to fully enjoy this game, my advice is to play it with the guide/cheat mod. Trust me, it takes the experience to a whole new level. You get to explore all the juicy content you want without any frustration or time waste. It's like unlocking the true potential of the game.

TLDR:
    +Everything is good (story, character development, fetishes ...etc)
    +Animations are the best from whats available
    +Actual god tier UI and QoL. Should be the standard for every renpy project.

- choices are poorly made and only there to confuse the player. If you care for a path then this game will definitely disappoint you.

Highly Recommended only with cheat/guide mods :BootyTime:

Updated Review:
    [Ch. 4 Update 3]

Another amazing update comes with juicy content and a surprise Victoria scene! It is the best and I swear that girl got the best bod in the game. Please show us more!

But here we are again talking about choices and paths, if you are not in "friendly" terms with one character then basically ~70% of the update is unavailable for you! I can't understand how devs are ok with wasting their time not even showing their hard work to the players. To each their own I guess. 4/5 again!
    tldr: you must play this game
  12. 5.00 star(s)

TundraMouse

This takes one of the most archetypal hentai kinkfest setups and filters it through the sensibility of a modern romance. The result is a surprisingly sweet, psychologically sound drama that renders its characters with more depth and realism than most games ever attempt.

And yet, this care for the characters is matched at every step by sprawling sex scenes that give a ton of variety and manage to run the gamut from lovely and romantic to genuinely depraved, depending on player preference. They have the detailed progression of studio H-games, but instead of simply upping the ante with increasingly lurid images, they manage to both tell a story and reveal character even when the text breaks down into incoherent moans and the sounds of bodily fluids.

And all of this tremendous detail, in both the narrative and the sex, is delivered through distinctive art and the most fluid animations I’ve ever seen in a visual novel.

There is so much great art and great writing in this game. Thoroughly engrossing, immersive, and smutty. And with a huge amount of content for just 4 chapters. One of the GOATs for sure.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

imjusthereforthebrowsing

Absolutely not everyone's cup of tea but everyone should probably still give this game a try. there are some really good scenes and really well written characters here if you can get past the kinks on display.

Its also quite possible to play this game relatively vanilla and nice if you choose, even if lots of content requires a more extreme playthrough.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

phxpoo

5/5, 10/10 hands down. Second best game on this site if sorted by rating and I absolutely agree with that, it's one of the best. Felicia and Mina are my favourites in this game, lots of content with any main girl, hopefully something with Sophia is coming too Can't wait for the next updates.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Titouille

Gameplay:
    Visual Novel, multiple relations paths
    Elaborate choices system that lead you to different relations with the protagonists. The story is anyway following one main path.

Story:
    Writing is top-notch, with a suspenseful intrigue around an "Eyes Wide Shut" universe. The story unravels progressively, and I was eager to see the next part. Characters are deep and diverse. Slowly, you sink in a very dark and sad story. It's like a corruption game where you are the one being corrupted, although it's balanced with characters that let the MC stay sane.

Graphics/Animation:
    Top-Notch graphics and animations. With some beautiful pictures for transitions. It's a huge work done here.

Overall impression:
    I wasn't prepared. Easily one of the best VN I've played here, that has a strong story behind, delivered impeccably while engaging the player in a feeling that he is part of it.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

geminiw45

Fantastic game!

I don't look so much for story and/or logic in these games, but mostly for interesting setting, hot chicks and more than decent sex scenes, and not only I wasn't disappointed but was pleasantly surprised and even shocked a few times, which is a good thing in my view (I could have done without the arachnid short scene I have to admit).

Great original and perverted story (and scenes), awesome characters in looks, attitudes and personalities , lots of sexy clothes, heels, and other details that I really enjoy and find sexy, nails, hairstyles, jewels...

Thanks and congrats and hopefully many more chapters to come!
  17. 5.00 star(s)

ChurryOp

Summary (Ch.4Up2):

Multilayered and engaging plot, beautiful characters, great story, and some of the hottest sex with HS models around. Play it and surprise yourself with the characters you end up feeling connected with. Very highly recommended.

Story:

Takes place in a small modern city, where you find yourself rapidly dragged into the seedy underbelly. The story is simple but not basic, and ties the various threads of the past and present together to form a rather compelling tale. While this is a VN, the player’s choices are meaningful from both a storytelling and gameplay point of view: choices don’t have strange, unforeseeable outcomes, and their impact is mainly immediate. Also, many of the choices steer the player’s inclinations as opposed to simply opening or closing paths.

While the main premise is straightforward, the stories of almost all of the characters in the game play a key role in adding depth and emotion to the game. Moreover, the main character’s own story grows out of the larger story and builds a compelling vision of him…and the choices possible can drive the direction of that growth. Memories, tales of past situations, and casual conversations have images and context to them. There are almost no walls of exposition or cringe-inducing dialogues to tell the player what to think.

Characters:

The cast is relatively small, but very deep. There are no ‘throw away’ characters, including the males in the story. Every one of them contributes to both the environment and the sense of urgency or despair that drives the game.

The girls are, almost uniformly, the best-looking HS models out there. Not a wide range of body types or styles, but that’s more in keeping with the nature of the story than the limitations of the developers. A lot of care went into facial expressions and having enough scenes to convey emotions without having to tell the player what the emotions are – extremely well-done.

The MC is a pretty typical HS male visually, a bit of a magic dick but not a raging chad, and very developed in terms of back story and outlook. He’s not a generic self-insert nor a witless dweeb, so playing the game really gives a sense of not only pushing but of establishing his boundaries. His interactions with the other characters, including his best friend, feel genuine and realistic.

Speaking of best friends, his is one of the few done really properly. The interactions and dialogue they share, the way they relate, and the progress of their relationship makes his friend truly a part of the game and not comedy relief nor a simple foil for the story. Choices involving his friend are significant because he’s important.

Sex:

The sex. Oh, the sex. It starts at pretty hot and gets better from there. It’s frankly ridiculous how much is in the game, but in the best way. While having a strong BDSM theme, the game nonetheless explores a number of other kinks in a very organic way (none of them seem out-of-place in the story). Some of the scenes are pretty rough, but the player can frequently effect those to some extent. Nonetheless, the story, animations, and images aren’t for the weak of heart.

Having said that, it was a delight to see actual aftercare and some sense of people dealing with each other as people in many of the scenes. More than a cherry on top, it expanded the emotional range of the various characters. None of the scenes are re-skins or recycles (new characters, old actions), so all of them are directed and individualized. The variety of scenes is excellent, the animations smooth and involved, and the replay mechanism very accessible.

My only criticism is that some of the scenes are simply too long. Heresy, I know, but some of them seem to drag on and become more expository than erotic. Sometimes less is more.

Environment:

The game environment is beautiful, with gorgeous opening screens and cinematic fades at strategic spots. While it plays as a VN, at times it enters a sandbox mode (for variety, one assumes). Both play very clearly, with no unexpected surprises: if an option will end free-roam, the option warns the player in the text.

The music fits the scenes very well, while not very memorable otherwise. That is exactly the goal of background music, and the developers hit the target squarely.

Scenes are directed and not simply rendered. The backgrounds, lighting, positions, and camera angles are carefully and not distractingly chosen. Special pan and zoom effects are used sparingly and intentionally.

tl;dr: sorry, you read everything to get here. Go play Pale Carnations.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

ubira

the amount of content is very good, the progression of the story is kind of slow, many times nothing significant happens, but not that it's bad, the atmosphere that the story creates is sometimes very heavy and toxic, but to be honest, I'm only here for Mina and Hanna, when a scene comes from them it always encourages me to continue, I hope I can have both, I didn't find any errors during my gameplay, and the amount of game updates is good, it's not constant to the point of you have to keep downloading it every time, and when you update something significant always comes, and it doesn't force you to replay everything again like some games do, so it's worth all the stars and for now I keep this game in my favorites.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

Gr8M8

The best one in my opinion, there isn't one vn game I've tried so far that is so consistently good overall!

There's a lot I could say, but aside from the overall scenario itself that my horny self seems to really like, I think what stands out the most is the quality of the writing which is miles ahead most of the adult games I've given a try! The characters actually feel distinct and full of personality, to the point where I'm actually somewhat invested and interested in knowing more about them.

Easy 10/10, can't wait for the next updates and the conclusion!
  20. 5.00 star(s)

ToxicZ

I just finished playing Pale Carnations over the last week, and like many others have said, its a masterpiece.

Everything about the game is incredible. The overall story is written in a captivating and mature way. The models are gorgeous and only get better with the animations. The dialog between the characters just takes each scene to a different level, mix all of that together and you get some extremely hot scenes. Even scenes with no sex will have you wanting more. The thing thats stands out for me the most however, is how each character is crafted to have their own unique personailty, charm, attitude and even flaws. They all feel alive and constrast each other very well. Its one of the first games I think i've played where I love ever one of the main characters, even if some take a little while to grow on you.

Anyways, I won't gush anymore about it, the rating this game has should say it all. If you're looking for a mature game, with sexy, well crafted characters, and a good story, this is it. Easy 6/5