Patreon alternatives due to censorship

• Thread starter Deleted member 2694590
  • Start date

WeirdWorld

Game Developer
Nov 2, 2017
They just have the power to ban you. You goes against their Terms of Service, what is enough to break the contract they had with you, but that's all. I doubt that there's a country that classified "breaking the terms of a service contract" as criminal.

But don't forget that then you'll have to rebuild all of your support. Everyone of your patrons previous to the ban will have to find you again, and accept to follow you to the place you now are. Unless it happen really early, it will take months, perhaps years, before you return back to the level of support you had before the ban.
I see, thanks for the answers. Last question I promise, can they ban you for past stuff you've made? So say you made a game that breaks the rules on patreon, got away with it until it's completion and then deleted every post referring to it on your patreon page, only to start a new, rule abiding game. Could they ban you?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I see, thanks for the answers. Last question I promise, can they ban you for past stuff you've made? So say you made a game that breaks the rules on patreon, got away with it until it's completion and then deleted every post referring to it on your patreon page, only to start a new, rule abiding game. Could they ban you?
Well, I would say that it totally depend of the circumstances. If they can prove that you did it, then yes they probably can ban you for that.
And there's many way to prove that. Among them, they can still find what you deleted in their backup, and it's possible that they don't effectively delete the post from their database when you delete them from your account. There's also the , and the fact that your game mention your Patreon account.
I don't know if they could win in justice with such arguments, but just removing all mention once the offense is finished is generally seen as the proof that you knew perfectly that you did something illegal, and rarely a way to protect you.

Reactions: WeirdWorld