Patreon's, Youtube's and Facebook's "Community Standards" they are not mine!

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
Saying they have to comply with site rules may make sense, but that does not mean that there isnt the intent of censorship behind it. Especially when the big sites push their political agenda, its a veil that is very easily seen through, but still people like to defend it.

And since we do live in the time where a few companies reign over news for example, I wouldnt really want to make up more excuses for them to do so. But hey, we are on road to Big Brother anyway. (See what I did there?)

Reactions: polywog

Fantabaldu

The Pirate King
Donor
Feb 19, 2019
Glamour is back in Patreon page...

As you probably already know, we had a rough couple of days.
If you haven't heard, Patreon temporary suspended our page for not hiding adult content behind subscription. We thought hiding the most explicit parts behind mosaic censorship would be okay, but we were wrong. We moved all explicit posts into Patrons only category. From now on we're going to be more careful with these things.
Don't worry, we have put way too much time and effort to abandon the game. We're going to work on it for as long as we can.

P.S.: We're actively working on 0.14, which will be released on schedule.
P.P.S.: I was going to add some picture for the news, but I couldn't find anything tame enough I wouldn't have to hide behind the pay wall. More and more content is becoming explicit. That's a good thing, right? =)

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Saying they have to comply with site rules may make sense, but that does not mean that there isnt the intent of censorship behind it. Especially when the big sites push their political agenda, its a veil that is very easily seen through, but still people like to defend it.

And since we do live in the time where a few companies reign over news for example, I wouldnt really want to make up more excuses for them to do so. But hey, we are on road to Big Brother anyway. (See what I did there?)
You are correct. My friend Jack Abramoff can explain it better than I can. Groups used to hire lobbyists to control politicians and push agendas, but those politicians weren't effective enough. It's a lot cheaper to buy control of corporations than it is to buy governments.
quote-some-issues-lend-themselves-to-grassroots-campaigns-homeschooling-works-well-but-others-...jpg

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017

We live in a world where people sue over get served to hot coffee or take offense over hurt feelings and what not. You know if you ain't political correct and so forth. That sites such as facebook, youtube, twitter, twitch, instagram, and god know what else, have rules and guidelines for the users to follow is just as much for their own protection. If I ran some sort of social platform with thousands of users I didn't want to find myself in court fighting windmills over dumb shit users on the platform does. And if you object to such rules and guidelines, well 4chan ---> way (along with other similar sites).

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Sigh, fact's is fact's, doesn't care who present them. Why are you trying to label me all kind of stuff rather than provide a fact that back up your claims?
cry all you want

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
So I was playing a game I like called Glamour and I reached as far as I could until I reached the end of line so to speak.
I went to their Patreon page to see if their was any updates to the game and bam Patreon took their page off and they
are investigating the site for possibly violating the "Community Standards" part of their site. Well first off all It's their rules
not the community...second isn't what Patreon doing might be considered censorship? Anyway another game or company
soon to be gone. What do you all think?
I see what you are saying... But my counter argument would be, why is it, do you think, that just because the Developer is being banned from Patreon, that they can't do well? How did any developers make money before Patreon? There are plenty of other means by which the developer can publicize, promote, and gain funding outside of using Patreon... Some of which have been around for decades... If development of a product is based solely upon the use of one means of getting funds, and they halt their project entirely because of it... That may be the sign of a lazy or non-creative developer that either can't adapt and overcome the situation, by finding alternate means, and/or they were just using Patreon's flawed system, to milk or scam folks in the first place (and therefore good riddance)... It's too easy these days for Patreon to be used to make a quick buck without any real checks and balance system to avoid scamming and milking... Patreon has become so popular by erotic/adult VN/Game developers, mostly because it's easy to use, but in some cases because it's rather easy to get away with underhanded behavior, with few systems in place, outside of reporting bad behavior by the public, to ensure rules are followed and folks are not being milked or scammed... It places too much power and trust into the hands of the folks who use their system... In any case, they are only one site in a sea of other options...

As to the point concerning censorship... Patreon is a business, and as such they are limited by local, state, federal, and treaty laws, in all the countries they do business... Plus, it's bad PR (public relations) to appear associated to material that may place them in a bad light (by the general public) and hurt their bottom line... They don't want to be legally liable due to the bad behavior of their members... In fact, they are trying rather hard to actually distance themselves from liability due to Mature/Adult content entirely... You can see this through how they treat it... No site in their system that is Flagged as Mature/Adult is made available in their Website Search Engine... No links exist on their home page for easily navigating towards Adult/Mature sites... And those same sites are also forced into only allowing paying patrons to see or partake in their site discussions, for those flagged sites... This is all found in their Community Rules as well as Q/A sections with regards to Adult content... So in the end, yes technically it is a form of censorship, but it is plausible censorship, as they are a business entity subject to public litigation, and the sites are technically their property, so it's their rules or the highway... They have to protect themselves...

Heck, as much as they try to publicly distance their main site from Adult/Mature content, I'm surprised they allow it at all... Site members should feel lucky they can even use Patreon... If it ever became a major issue for them, I would not doubt they would nix Adult/Mature content entirely...

Zip

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
How did any developers make money before Patreon?
by making a website. It's easy to make money if you have something that attracts attention to your site. Now more than ever fans are engaged, constantly visiting to see the progress. If you don't have a website for your game(s) I highly recommend you look into making one.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
cry all you want

My confidential sources says your actual persona is "Kim Jong-Un".. come from my own authority after all... You know how silly this sounds? First you give out "keywords" that should prove you right. Then you refuse to actually provide any source, and when called on that fact you claim confidential sources. You enjoy that hole you did dig for yourself? geeeze.

Almost start believe you share cubicle with Alex Jones or something...

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
by making a website. It's easy to make money if you have something that attracts attention to your site. Now more than ever fans are engaged, constantly visiting to see the progress. If you don't have a website for your game(s) I highly recommend you look into making one.
Hehe, I know... I was being slightly flippant/sarcastic with that question... This niche industry wouldn't probably exist as it does, if folks weren't making money off it, in some way, prior to Patreon's rise in popularity, a couple years back... There are even some developers today who have never even used Patreon and still get donation money... Patreon is sometimes seen as some easy to use cash cow machine, that you rarely saw used at all by this niche industry, going back about around 3 years ago... Back then, Patreon had little to no rules regarding adult/mature content... It was when the gold rush was occurring around 2 or so years back, that they suddenly had to scramble to put more and more rules and infrastructure together to protect themselves from the onslaught... Especially with the huge rise in risque subject matter (i.e. incest, violence, nonconsensual sexual conduct, BDSM, etc.) around that time... The inherent flaw, is that they just don't put enough resources into rule enforcement... So they have to heavily rely on public reporting of rules violations... And in their defense, a lot of companies in a similar situation, do the same thing... It's expensive to pay a bunch of folks to monitor and enforce rules violations... Especially if the infrastructure was never originally designed to cope with the vast rise in Adult/Mature content creators flocking to their site back then, as well as today...

Zip

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Hehe, I know... I was being slightly flippant/sarcastic with that question... This niche industry wouldn't probably exist as it does, if folks weren't making money off it, in some way, prior to Patreon's rise in popularity, a couple years back... There are even some developers today who have never even used Patreon and still get donation money... Patreon is sometimes seen as some easy to use cash cow machine, that you rarely saw used at all by this niche industry, going back about around 3 years ago... Back then, Patreon had little to no rules regarding adult/mature content... It was when the gold rush was occurring around 2 or so years back, that they suddenly had to scramble to put more and more rules and infrastructure together to protect themselves from the onslaught... Especially the huge rise in risque subject matter (i.e. incest, violence, nonconsensual sexual conduct, BDSM, etc.)... The inherent flaw, is that they just don't put enough resources into rule enforcement... So they have to heavily rely on public reporting of rules violations... And to their defense, a lot of companies in a similar situation, do the same thing... It's expensive to pay a bunch of folks to monitor and enforce rules violations... Especially if the infrastructure was never originally designed to cope with the vast rise in Adult/Mature content creators flocking to their site back then, as well as today...

Zip
There is those that got their own websites in addition to patreon, subscribestar or whatever else they use though. I guess places such as Patreon made the monetizing process a lot easier. The less time used to admin and run things, can be used on actual work on your project at least from a hobby perspective that most creators of these games is at.

Reactions: Zippity

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Hehe, I know... I was being slightly flippant/sarcastic with that question... This niche industry wouldn't probably exist as it does, if folks weren't making money off it, in some way, prior to Patreon's rise in popularity, a couple years back... There are even some developers today who have never even used Patreon and still get donation money... Patreon is sometimes seen as some easy to use cash cow machine, that you rarely saw used at all by this niche industry, going back about around 3 years ago... Back then, Patreon had little to no rules regarding adult/mature content... It was when the gold rush was occurring around 2 or so years back, that they suddenly had to scramble to put more and more rules and infrastructure together to protect themselves from the onslaught... Especially the huge rise in risque subject matter (i.e. incest, violence, nonconsensual sexual conduct, BDSM, etc.)... The inherent flaw, is that they just don't put enough resources into rule enforcement... So they have to heavily rely on public reporting of rules violations... And to their defense, a lot of companies in a similar situation, do the same thing... It's expensive to pay a bunch of folks to monitor and enforce rules violations... Especially if the infrastructure was never originally designed to cope with the vast rise in Adult/Mature content creators flocking to their site back then, as well as today...

Zip
I made strip poker and sex arcade games for gentlemen's clubs in the 80s people pumped stacks of quarters into those machines. Patreon is just a tip jar, but some people think it's a store.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
There is those that got their own websites in addition to patreon, subscribestar or whatever else they use though. I guess places such as Patreon made the monetizing process a lot easier. The less time used to admin and run things, can be used on actual work on your project at least from a hobby perspective that most creators of these games is at.
It's like a self fulfilling prophecy... The rise in it's popularity among Game Streamers as well as other media forms, put it's name out there, several years back... So then, when some of the big hitters, of the Erotic/Adult VN/Game niche industry, several years back, began using Patreon, folks saw how much money it was possible to make using Patreon... That, in turn, kicked off the gold rush that occurred, to try and get a piece of the pie, which then created a snow ball effect... Patreon had to try and scramble to keep up, and it's use across the board was sky rocketing, not only in this market, but lots of others as well... It's only in recent times, that we are seeing some mellowing out, and Patreon is finally catching up, hence you see more rules violators getting their comeuppance... The internet is like this up and down ocean of varying internet starters and social based companies, coming and going... Tons of available options, if you just look...

Zip

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Most of it is protecting themselves from potential legal trouble, people dont like it but its a sensible thing to not want illegal (or super controversial) things on your website. And besides that, its their website. They allow you to post there, as long as you follow the rules. You agree to that when you make your account and click "I agree with the terms of service" or whatever.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
I made strip poker and sex arcade games for gentlemen's clubs in the 80s people pumped stacks of quarters into those machines. Patreon is just a tip jar, but some people think it's a store.
That's because their system can kind of be treated like it, even though that is not how they promote themselves... In the end, as long as their rules are followed, they probably don't care... They skim their money off the top and move on... It's not like their system is some ground breaking marketing scheme... They don't promote Adult/Mature content, even if they allow it's existence... It's popularity is primarily due to how easy it is to use and abuse...

They don't withhold money for , but they do report it based on location and local legal requirements... So depending on where you live, and how much you make in a year using Patreon... They will report donations to people like the IRS and so on... But since they do not actually withhold any of that money, it is then the legal responsibility of the site owner to pay income and local taxes on that donation income... Filing the proper paperwork themselves... Patreon wipes their hands clean, from a legal standpoint, with regards to that aspect of making money from their site... They do what is required of them, but it's up to the member to do what is required of them... It's another open door that could be abused... I bet ya there are plenty of developers using Patreon that probably never even bothered to read up on that aspect of the site's usage...

Zip

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Most of it is protecting themselves from potential legal trouble, people dont like it but its a sensible thing to not want illegal (or super controversial) things on your website. And besides that, its their website. They allow you to post there, as long as you follow the rules. You agree to that when you make your account and click "I agree with the terms of service" or whatever.
Just because something is illegal on a little island off the coast of Europe, doesn't mean the whole world has to obey the queen's wishes. Those goofy laws don't apply to the rest of the world. By pushing these agendas through corporate policies, they are attempting to circumvent the rule of law... a one world government, a new world order. There are things on the internet that are illegal in your country, if YOU download them YOU are breaking the law in your country, people in other countries don't care about your laws. Corporate policies are extremely biased. Facebook, Patreon allow things that are illegal in many countries, and collects incriminating info on their users. Corporations need to obey the will of the people, not the other way around.

0_86cebb8e-fb31-484c-ae78-ae34e495ecc4.jpg flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
That's because their system can kind of be treated like it, even though that is not how they promote themselves... In the end, as long as their rules are followed, they probably don't care... They skim their money off the top and move on... It's not like their system is some ground breaking marketing scheme... They don't promote Adult/Mature content, even if they allow it's existence... It's popularity is primarily due to how easy it is to use and abuse...

They don't withhold money for , but they do report it based on location and local legal requirements... So depending on where you live, and how much you make in a year using Patreon... They will report donations to people like the IRS and so on... But since they do not actually withhold any of that money, it is then the legal responsibility of the site owner to pay income and local taxes on that donation income... Filing the proper paperwork themselves... Patreon wipes their hands clean, from a legal standpoint, with regards to that aspect of making money from their site... They do what is required of them, but it's up to the member to do what is required of them... It's another open door that could be abused... I bet ya there are plenty of developers using Patreon that probably never even bothered to read up on that aspect of the site's usage...

Zip
That could turn into a brutal eye opener when Mr Tax Man come knocking :p

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Just because something is illegal on a little island off the coast of Europe, doesn't mean the whole world has to obey the queen's wishes. Those goofy laws don't apply to the rest of the world. By pushing these agendas through corporate policies, they are attempting to circumvent the rule of law... a one world government, a new world order. There are things on the internet that are illegal in your country, if YOU download them YOU are breaking the law in your country, people in other countries don't care about your laws. Corporate policies are extremely biased. Facebook, Patreon allow things that are illegal in many countries, and collects incriminating info on their users. Corporations need to obey the will of the people, not the other way around.

You probably will find they care more about the laws and rules in the home of the orange dotard and other swamp creatures, not so much the British ones. Fair share of goofy laws over there. More happy about bog down the courts with lawsuits and crap too.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017

View attachment 292827 View attachment 292828
That's kind of a dystopian view that doesn't work in reality... The will of the people is displayed in the form of Local, State, Federal, as well as Treaty Laws... People forget that, just because the country you live in may have less restrictive laws themselves, the treaties they have with other countries (aka International Law) also come into play... A law in the U.K. can be enforced in the U.S. if the user is a citizen of the U.K. but violates said law while locally in the U.S. based on any treaty requirements regarding said law/s... There are no laws I know of, off the top of my head, that allow for the public to just waltz up to a corporation and tell them to do something or not do something, where they were then legally obligated to comply with said request...

Citizens can try to change laws and statutes with regards to what a Corporation is allowed or not allowed to do... But a corporation is typically allowed to self govern within the scope of said laws and statutes... Even if that means they create strict censorship rules with regards to public use of their systems... They are not violating freedom of speech laws, because you don't have to use their systems... You can opt in and use their systems, or you can opt out and go somewhere else... Now, if they issued a gag order for an employee not to relinquish information about something happening with in the company, or reveal what someone said in the corporation, without out some sort of legal precedence that would allow them get away with said gag order, then that would definitely be a violation of your freedom of speech, depending on location... I could go on, but then I would be definitely getting too far off the threads topic...

Zip