people's opinion rpgmaker vs ren'py

Do you prefer rpgmaker or ren'py gamea

• rpg maker

• ren'py

Results are only viewable after voting.

tukahon

Aug 7, 2016
I was thinking in the creator point of view, but your argument is more than valid. This said, is the problem really the game engine, or the way it's used ? Take Ren'py by example, it can do more than the simple VN style ; still it's what 95% of the creators do.
Going this way, RPG maker is probably the worst option, because it's the more limited game engine. But still, a goodly done RPG Maker game, even if it's a walk simulator, is better than a badly done Ren'py one, or even Unity/Unreal one.

In an ideal world, we would have RPG Maker used for old style RPG games, Unity/Unreal used for real time 3D games, GameMaker for platform and sprite action games, and Ren'py for the rest. Each engine being used for what it do the best. But, well, if the world were ideal, I think that we would know it already.
You have made some very valid points, Your sentences before pretty much hit it spot on i think with rpg maker being idiot proof,

and think that would be the best engine for my ideas and then when I am done we will see how many people will bash it :)

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
and think that would be the best engine for my ideas and then when I am done we will see how many people will bash it :)
In the end it's the game which matter. It's not a secret, I dislike the way RPG Maker tend to be used nowadays, but it doesn't mean that I dislike all the games made that way. So, good luck for your project.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
In that case go for it, here's a few general tips:

-invest in customization, much of people's problems with rpgmaker is the stock UI, combat and menus. Use appropriate stats and get rid of stuff you're not using.

-be organized in your programming, always name your variables and switches and comment complex branches and chains.

-always make clear instructions and keep a backlog if possible, people tend to get lost in such games and walking around can be very frustrating.

The-real-Vastitas

Game Developer
Jul 16, 2017
invest in customization
True that, no one needs another RPGMaker game using vanilla assets...if you do create your own Tile-sets, chars, animations, menus and the like be wary of the workload though...another tip...
The more you wanna change RPGMakers core functions the better off you are using Ren'py...it's more code work and does not pay off...use or write plugins ( if it's an RPG you create there is a ton of them available by now ) just do yourself a favor and stay away from the mess they don't want you to touch...another one...
get feedback early on...I could have saved myself a lot of work if I would have done it and if you are in for support it doesn't hurt if your project is known before it's first release...and last but not least...
It's not a secret, I dislike the way RPG Maker tend to be used nowadays
create your game and convince him that there is hope for the engine and no one
will bash it

tukahon

Aug 7, 2016
In that case go for it, here's a few general tips:

-invest in customization, much of people's problems with rpgmaker is the stock UI, combat and menus. Use appropriate stats and get rid of stuff you're not using.

-be organized in your programming, always name your variables and switches and comment complex branches and chains.

-always make clear instructions and keep a backlog if possible, people tend to get lost in such games and walking around can be very frustrating.
noted on the points with clear up the UI, and backlog. caude its very true the generic things is what people get annoyed with and the getting lost part I have encountered myself way to many times..

I am not so worried about the programming part, I am pretty fluent in C++ and python so i know to keep my stuff organised :D

but very much thanks for the comments

tukahon

Aug 7, 2016
True that, no one needs another RPGMaker game using vanilla assets...if you do create your own Tile-sets, chars, animations, menus and the like be wary of the workload though...another tip...
The more you wanna change RPGMakers core functions the better off you are using Ren'py...it's more code work and does not pay off...use or write plugins ( if it's an RPG you create there is a ton of them available by now ) just do yourself a favor and stay away from the mess they don't want you to touch...another one...
get feedback early on...I could have saved myself a lot of work if I would have done it and if you are in for support it doesn't hurt if your project is known before it's first release...and last but not least...
create your game and convince him that there is hope for the engine and no one
the workload is the part I am concerned about, I am not in it to create any profit instead i kinda just wanna create a game with my ideas and just hand it out for free to the community as a "give back" (cant only be leeching).

as this is my first rpgmaker project I am looking at cutting down the pipeline to bare minimum, using daz (not making custom models in maya with groomed hair, no animations, I have helped a few creators with their 3rd animations before on here. ), and not make too much of my own tilesets etc but have them fit the story that is told ofcourse.

i am from the school of aim lower first and get it done then make next project bit better and bigger and so on rather then aim for the stars and end at 0.1 cause i simply cant keep up with the crazy structure and promises i built up.

I am also not gonna release anything until it's completed as I atleast want to give people some enjoyment from the game and not a 0.1 release.

Reactions: The-real-Vastitas

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Ther organization part is more of a general tip in case you were a beginner, I'm guilty of creating messy codes in my younger and less enlightened days.

About the rest, some stuff can't be helped like the tilesets, they can be a pain if you don't have much artistic skills, but I usually find that the attention to detail makes for more unique environments than unique tiles.

Also, since you're planning on releasing a small game, you'll find that people here can be quite helpful with advices on writing and even coding if you need, especially if you're doing free stuff ;)

Reactions: tukahon

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
I don't go wild for either but have had much more fun with Ren'py games. RPGmaker often has a serious disconnect between the gameplay and h-content. There's also the overuse of stock assets. Plus it seems to attract new creators whose first attempt at a game isn't that great. But I will say I'd rather play a well-designed game with solid RPGM gameplay than something cobbled together out of menu options on Ren'py, since RPGM is better for having an open, explorable world and animated combat.

Dec 15, 2017
For Strictly VN content go with Renpy because since you are able to backtrack through chat logs.

For more interactive games with exploration and stats RPG maker works well.

People complain about RPGmaker battle but here is an idea If anyone wants to take my idea feel free to use it.

For battles instead of doing actual fighting, make the battle a seduction sequence. I've tested it and you can have scripted dialogue and pictures pop up midbattle, so basically, have the player use seduction techniques instead of attacks. When HP or whatever you rename it to is at a certain point, you have a state of undress or a pose change with optional dialogue. At the end of battle you would have a full on sex scene. If you want game over sex, you can also add that and the story reason would be that you were seduced and settle down instead of being the seducer building a harem.

The battles in essence would be the H scene.

grandefarao

Jun 4, 2017
If it is to create a Visual Novel, it better be with some game engine other than RPG Maker, because the RPGM, especially the MV consumes a lot of memory that in the final version and, depending on your computer, can make the game almost unplayable.

PinkysBrain

Jan 27, 2018
Neither engine makes much sense outside of their niche. So walking sim with simplistic RPG mechanics and simplistic turn based combat for rpgmaker vs. a combination of visual novel/CYOA and simplistic life sim which renpy often turns into. Of those options I prefer renpy. I'd like them to have more game mechanics ... but most developers go with the flow and it's not in the flow of renpy. I think map building in rpgmaker is just too much effort for too little payback, I'd rather have more dialogue.

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
I prefer Ren'py to RPGM, simply because 90% of the games I have tried in RPGM resorts to the old "walk to the other end of the city and then return here" every 2 minutes, just to pad the playtime. I you make a VN, then do it in Ren'py. If you make an RPG with VN elements, then do it in RPGM, and if you prefer to make a walking simulator, then go ahead and fck the hell off!

Seriously, I am usually calm and collected, but this single mechanic might be the one which pisses me off the most in RPGM games. I will take a short, but well-made game over a game padded with useless walking or similar tedious mechanics to extend the playtime, which adds nothing to the story.

Centurion

Jan 20, 2018
when I am done we will see how many people will bash it :)
I'm not going to try to tell you which to use but wanted to point out that some people won't even download a RPGM game so you might also want to use other ways to gauge your decision like comparing it to similar games - popularity, likes, thread activity...... You could even put a poll at the beginning of your game thread asking whether folks would rather have the game using the engine you choose or the other one.

tukahon

Aug 7, 2016
thanks for all the feedback of your opinions, seen many good points here,

what I personally struggle with ren'py is, it either becomes too "clicky" and there is no difference between the scenarios or i tend to get lost on all the different rooms etc (i know the latter is not an issue with the engine but with me :D)

workload wise people say that making the rpgmaker maps are a very annoying task, which it is, but if you go the ren'py route you basicly need 6-7 times more 3d renders to make a complete/not empty story which is quite a bit of work aswell.

I've chosen rpgmaker as it appeals more to me with my current idea, i won't make anyone run for many minutes to end up doing nothing cause if i don't enjoy something i simply wouldn't put it in a game.

D

Dr PinkCake

I think it boils down to what type of game you're trying to create. I just can't stand slow rpgm games without directions. The only rpgm game I like is the Cock hero game, but it's only the videos that are great about it. VNs on the other hand, I could easily mention 10+ games that I've thoroughly enjoyed. You don't get stuck as a player in VNs.

WhitePhantom

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
I'll be honest, I cannot stand RPGM Games, having to just walk around for ages and click on doors every other minute just drives me insane.