• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
To be fair, for many games the translation of "college" or "university" is, in reality, "high school". When they lean too heavily into that, I think Steam decides they're not stupid and deny the developers.
I think if they talk about mixers and alcohol, it's a safe bet it's college. For some reasons, the college experience through the eyes of hentai is "I need a girlfriend" and "look at me, I can handle alcohol."

• Thinking Face
Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I think if they talk about mixers and alcohol, it's a safe bet it's college. For some reasons, the college experience through the eyes of hentai is "I need a girlfriend" and "look at me, I can handle alcohol."
I don't see how alcohol at a mixer really means much, TBH. At least, it doesn't mean much for Americans. You can judge the state of things here however you want based on this, but it's actually pretty common for 15-year-olds and even younger to get their hands on booze and weed and get wasted at some party. Stronger drugs, like acid, meth, and speed, are much less common in general, but still show up here and there. (Some places have those much more often than others, ofc., especially huffing / Tide pods / meth.) Something like coke is pretty rare from what I've seen, other than at parties at some rich kid's house or w/e.

I'm also not sure why you brought up hentai. While there are several, ofc, loads of adult games are not hentai or even similar to hentai. So themes presented in those lewder anime / manga don't typically have much influence over AVNs in a more Western style. There are, of course, Western-made games that will specifically play into the Japanese tropes, but that varies quite a bit, and I've seen a lot more than don't than that do.

Sep 9, 2021
Do we know ETA of steam release?
patreon will be first, last I was subscribed he was hoping to release in December but he had a kid. From what I gathered it sounds like the game is finished, he's probably explained why its not out but most of his posts are locked behind a higher tier. once the game's on Patreon I'll sub and check for a steam eta

Reactions: Antera

Crese1967895

Mar 10, 2020
Do we know ETA of steam release?
Can't imagine people will be too happy when they realize the game isn't really complete. Routes that end halfway through, no tying of events, no resolution. This game is complete only in name.

Look, I'm not trying to hate on the author but unless he finishes the routes and ties everything together he's going to get a negative perception over at steam, atleast in my opinion.

His newer game looks better, and will hopefully have an actual end. It'd be a far better decision to release that in early access or in parts on steam than this clearly unfinished product.

Edit: Just saw that the game is being remade and finished for it's steam release, makes sense now. Still, seems like a big fuck you to patrons that supported this game, but who am I to complain, I didn't pour money into it

Last edited:

Tkdfsmith

Jul 12, 2022
Anyone got a walkthrough for sophie? i seem to have missed the very first scenes and can't do the "bowling" part?

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Anyone got a walkthrough for sophie? i seem to have missed the very first scenes and can't do the "bowling" part?
Did you follow the hint system in the game? I don't remember ever needing a walkthrough, but it's been quite some time now. It's always possible there was something unclear early on that I'm not thinking of. :unsure:

Tkdfsmith

Jul 12, 2022
Did you follow the hint system in the game? I don't remember ever needing a walkthrough, but it's been quite some time now. It's always possible there was something unclear early on that I'm not thinking of. :unsure:

Just says no hints avaialble to this time, i have all scenes with everyone minus sophie where i have none

Drake_McCoy

Feb 15, 2021
completed the game and it was great especially the romantic routes

but i absolutely hate this
1708785992570.png

what about the whole i will get every girl pregnent route?

Crese1967895

Mar 10, 2020
...but also...

I mean, you kind of are, a little bit.
Just an observation really. Can't imagine supporting a game for a while just for the dev to say he doesn't care for it anymore and it's all you'll get, then years later an actual release drops. Might be exciting to some, but that's why I don't support people's patreons unless I get something that's finished. I have and would spend money contributing to someone like JulioNIB or Qwardnaffle (GTA 5 and FO4 mod authors in that ordera) simply because I have access to a bunch of finished and infinitely replayable mods rather than a dev who I'm not sure will ever drop a completed game.

I'd even be willing to support a dev who has a history of completing high quality games, but not an up and coming dev or one who has prior abandoned/unfinished games. Simply put, I don't like to gamble.

Back to the point, I like Personal Trainer, and when it was still in development I was actually going to sub to Domiek. I guess I'm a little bitter with how it turned out, but again, I'm not going to start ranting about how the devs a piece of shit or something (Because that'd be untrue). He didn't have it in him to finish the game at the time (Probably burnout), and I can understand that. I like his games and if he actually does good on his promise to actually finish this one I'd consider sending some money his way.

This post got too long and ranty for my tastes, but have a good one

Reactions: Giovany

jhonatanw

Engaged Member
Jun 21, 2022

Another super productive period. I've finished writing, rendering and coding all of the endings as well as most of the events. There's just a handful of story events left to render and a lot of optional short environment renders, which I'll explain later. I've also finished the Character Index UI, which replaces the former Character Hint, Schedule and Replay Galley.
UI CHARACTER INDEX:
One of the problems with free-roam or sandbox games is the sheer number of clicking and guessing to try and figure out how to advance the story. I tried to solve this in the old version of Personal Trainer, but I had no idea what I was doing both code and UI wise, and it ended up a bit of a mess.

The hint system required the player to first encounter the character doing an activity, then this activity day, time and location was recorded on a tracker. The character then had to open the hint window, select the character AND THEN select a day on the schedule just to see where the character was located. It

(Convoluted & unintuitive mess)

The Memories (replay) Gallery was a separate window. I didn't know how to properly set one up in Ren'Py at the time so I ended up manually entering every line of text and code associated with each replay. Actually all of these UI elements, hints and schedules were manually entered by me. There were duplications of code with slight alterations all over the place and I'm shocked the game ran even relatively stable. It was embarrassingly bad and pretty much every element of the game featured such terrible and time consuming code.

9200+ lines of manually entering each calendar event, for each character, for each day, for each time slot. If only there were some sort of way to loop this coding for each statement... could call it a for loop!

PT RE Solution:

I knew that I wanted all of this info in one easily accessible window for the player. I also knew I wanted to avoid as much manual work as possible and instead design modular components for the core functions of the game. This required a full rewrite of the code (and why old save files won't work). There was no saving the old spaghetti code, it had to be burned with fire.

Now there is a Character Index window, which presents all of the girls in a single 3x3 grid. Selecting a girls portrait reveals the current in game hint and a scrollable replay gallery. At the bottom is the "Ending" section which unlocks once the selected characters storyline is completed. The player can then view the ending for that character and then resume playing the game at their own leisure.

THE MAP:
The original PT map left a lot to be desired. It took a lot of space but didn't really offer any useful information at a glance, it was solely a way of navigation.

(Six tiny labelless dots on a giant canvas... good work, Dom!)
One major complaint about sandbox games is the very tedious gameplay loop that looks something like this:
  • Advance time
  • Click every location known to mankind in hopes of seeing new content
  • Repeat

I've addressed this by implementing live character tracking on both the map as well as sublocations. This solves the annoying classic sandbox gameplay loop while also being an excellent schedule tracker replacement of the previous version. Now you will always have immediate feedback on where the main characters are.

The new map is functionally complete, but the UI graphics are a placeholder. I will work on matching it to the look of the Character Index window later.

Optional Short Environment Renders:
As mentioned earlier, almost all of the content has been completed, aside for this smaller optional stuff. Although these renders don't contribute directly to the story, they're nice to have for the overall atmosphere of the game. These are the minor characters with 3-5 render length interactions. I've also wanted to add non-interacting background chars that create the atmosphere of a busy world.

Since I ended up cramming a 24 hour day into 8, there is a lot of existing content that's fighting for a time slot. I've addressed this by semi-randomizing their triggers. For each location and time slot there is a list of possible events that can play, selected at random. There's some logic in place that limits each unique event to trigger only once per day and tackles the unlikely event of the same event triggering every single time.

The biggest benefit of these environmental characters is the visual feedback of your story progress. For those who played PT before, you know that by the end of the game everyone was basically running around nude and having sex in public without issue. I now have the opportunity to code in logic which limits which random interactions occur depending on your progress in the game. So earlier on you will have more modest interactions with minor characters and as the main characters become more corrupted through the main story progress, the random interactions will reflect that. As it stands, although the MC joins a women's gym under the pretense of being gay, all of the random minor characters pounce on him immediately while the main characters take some time to corrupt. It's not a show stopper but it's a bit jarring.

This type of content is small enough where it's very quick to produce but there's a high enough quantity of it which makes it a non-trivial amount of time invested. This is why I'm saving it for last as a maybe if the rest of development goes smoothly and I still have plenty of time left. Although I'm not announcing a release date yet, I've officially entered the "Crunch Time" portion of development. I can't wait to get back to working on In a Scent, to my beloved Gary.

Cheers,
Dom

3.90 star(s) 167 Votes