Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
How to remove case-sensitivity from "Linux Mint"?
What cold_arctus said. But there are ways to play games without them crashing because of missing files.
The most stupid one: unzip the game in a USB Flash drive. Its file system is usually Fat32, it can't differentiate uppercase and lowercase characters.
Other tricks make use of dd (see this post) and ciopfs (see for instance this script for RPGM MV).

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
How to remove case-sensitivity from "Linux Mint"?
You can't. For that you would need to write a complete new Linux kernel.
To disable case sensitivity on ext4/f2fs on per-directory basis you can use chattr +F /games/ command (available since kernel ~5.2) you mostly want this for broken rpgmaker games but wine will utilize it too (it's more effective or so I've heard). Fat32 is not really a good option here.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
To disable case sensitivity on ext4/f2fs on per-directory basis you can use chattr +F /games/ command (available since kernel ~5.2) you mostly want this for broken rpgmaker games but wine will utilize it too (it's more effective or so I've heard). Fat32 is not really a good option here.
Wow.. Ok, I didn't know that you can do that. Thanks for the information! (y)

nerogaf

Aug 23, 2019
Thanks for the command.
But: Workspace 1_004.png

nerogaf

Aug 23, 2019
Why "FAT32" is not really a good option here?

Nov 24, 2019
Only used chattr to make files immutable or undeletable... There are a few notes on , apparently you should use chattr on an empty folder first, and then extract the game contents inside.

Manual page said:
F A directory with the 'F' attribute set indicates that all
the path lookups inside that directory are made in a case-
insensitive fashion. This attribute can only be changed
in empty directories
on file systems with the casefold
feature enabled.
(Underline is mine)

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
Thanks for the command.
But: View attachment 1433250
Why "FAT32" is not really a good option here?

You should probably use mkfs -t ext4 -E encoding=utf8 to create new file system first. While I use a separate partition for all my games, I didn't notice any adverse side effects so far. As for fat32, it is slow, broken, and doesn't allow to do many things one would expect. You can also experience problems with many games when using it (including with wine).

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
You can't. For that you would need to write a complete new Linux kernel.
You can with ext4's +F attribute. I would not necessarily recommend enabling casefolding for an entire partition though, make an image file of an appropriate size and enable it on that, like in this example I posted elsewhere.
You should be able to work around it using this:
Bash:
dd if=/dev/zero of=case_insensitive_ext4.img bs=1 count=0 seek=10G
mkfs.ext4 -O casefold case_insensitive_ext4.img
sudo mount case_insensitive_ext4.img /mnt
sudo mkdir /mnt/case_insensitive
sudo chown youruser:youruser /mnt/case_insensitive
chattr +F /mnt/case_insensitive
Then put the game directory inside the case_insensitive one. Obviously you can mount this wherever you like, somewhere in your home directory even.
Know what you're doing with mounts and remember to umount it when necessary. This requires kernel 5.2 or higher.
I'm making a 10G sparse image file here but you can tweak to your liking (sparse means it won't actually use the space until it gets filled).
The ext4 filesystem has to be created with the casefold option enabled from the beginning though, you can't add support for +F later.
This issue isn't really all that common though surprisingly, you could probably make a new sparse image for each game you encountered that had the issue.

You should probably use mkfs -t ext4 -E encoding=utf8 to create new file system first. While I use a separate partition for all my games, I didn't notice any adverse side effects so far. As for fat32, it is slow, broken, and doesn't allow to do many things one would expect. You can also experience problems with many games when using it (including with wine).
Saw that this got covered after I'd already begun to reply. The downside is a big increase in metadata that the filesystem has to store or something.

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
Saw that this got covered after I'd already begun to reply. The downside is a big increase in metadata that the filesystem has to store or something.
Dunno maybe try mkfs.ext4 -O sparse_super2,casefold I think sparse_super2 was very good in that regard. It's available since forever. But you can't resize such partition and it's probably going to be broken if you try, not sure.

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Dunno maybe try mkfs.ext4 -O sparse_super2,casefold I think sparse_super2 was very good in that regard. It's available since forever. But you can't resize such partition and it's probably going to be broken if you try, not sure.
It's not really a problem for small image files (I assume your suggestion was for that because sparse only works for image files I think?), I just meant if you enabled casefold for an entire partition on a real disk.
Odds are you only actually want +F for a few directories/files, but if you have casefolding enabled for the entire disk you get an increase in metadata storage for all files as well as a UTF-8 only limitation (you may be unable to store non english character filenames which could be a real problem down the road and there's no off switch).

fasefive

Apr 27, 2019
Hey guys,
I recently switched to Arch Linux and I'm having trouble with NWJS games. the main errors related to fontconfig but i seem to have got rid of those by following some steps which tell you how to override the font directory e.g.

FONTCONFIG_PATH=fonts ./nw

I am still getting these errors though where the NWJS console pops up but it just has its default logo and the actual game doesnt run. I've tried downloading the latest NWJS and moving the game folder in but same issue.

[24343:24343:1007/190125.690611:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(376)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[24307:24341:1007/190128.909093:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(228)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking Bluetooth availability started. Please report if there is no report that this ends.
[24307:24341:1007/190128.909110:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(231)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking Bluetooth availability ended.
[24307:24341:1007/190128.923890:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(234)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking default browser status started. Please report if there is no report that this ends.
[24307:24341:1007/190128.932325:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(238)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking default browser status ended.

anyone else running arch and had a similar issue? never seen this using Manjaro so im possibly just missing a package..

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hey guys,
I recently switched to Arch Linux and I'm having trouble with NWJS games. the main errors related to fontconfig but i seem to have got rid of those by following some steps which tell you how to override the font directory e.g.

FONTCONFIG_PATH=fonts ./nw

I am still getting these errors though where the NWJS console pops up but it just has its default logo and the actual game doesnt run. I've tried downloading the latest NWJS and moving the game folder in but same issue.

[24343:24343:1007/190125.690611:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(376)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[24307:24341:1007/190128.909093:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(228)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking Bluetooth availability started. Please report if there is no report that this ends.
[24307:24341:1007/190128.909110:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(231)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking Bluetooth availability ended.
[24307:24341:1007/190128.923890:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(234)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking default browser status started. Please report if there is no report that this ends.
[24307:24341:1007/190128.932325:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(238)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking default browser status ended.

anyone else running arch and had a similar issue? never seen this using Manjaro so im possibly just missing a package..
Which game did you try to play?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I think its any RPGM game, examples
Town of Passion
Treasure of Nadia
Treasure of Nadia use tons of plugins. Some might not work with a newer version of NW.js.

I once had a similar issue with the game, but was able to fix it by using the provided NW.js files.

Wait a sec. you copied the game folder into the latest NW.js folder? You know, you only need to move the game's "www" folder and the "project.json" file to your new NW.Js folder.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 3 Votes