Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
Try using -O shift-jis with unzip through the command line:

Code:
unzip -O shift-jis filename.zip
Well, cp932 actually. You also need a natspec patched unzip in order to be able to do that (unzip -h | grep \\-O should give a line). In order to actually play games it might be needed to generate the ja_JP.UTF-8 glibc locale (locale-gen), and then it's necessary to define LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 environment variable (some games want more LC variables some less, ALL is safe) for every Japanese app. Yes, you probably don't need any system language support.

SS4312

Nov 3, 2018
Mac user here, trying to run RPGm games. Some of them work fine through Wine, however a few of them open up literally only the program bar. Sound plays, and I can navigate menus and press buttons fine by sound queues, but no screen shows. Going fullscreen only causes a white screen, no images load. Again, some RPGm games load just fine, but a few of them do this specific issue. The attached image shows the problem. The trees and such are from my desktops background.
Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 5.51.27 PM.png

Flugelbozz

Nov 12, 2018
Mac user here, trying to run RPGm games. Some of them work fine through Wine, however a few of them open up literally only the program bar. Sound plays, and I can navigate menus and press buttons fine by sound queues, but no screen shows. Going fullscreen only causes a white screen, no images load. Again, some RPGm games load just fine, but a few of them do this specific issue. The attached image shows the problem. The trees and such are from my desktops background.
View attachment 3816215
Im not familiar with running wine on macos, but since your window is missing, do you use dxvk (does it even work since metal)? how about the wine version?

scrumbles

Jan 12, 2019
So, there was this game built with Construct 3, and I wanted to play it natively.
I found out it was pretty straightforward: the engine is based on NW.js, I just had to find the right version.
The solution was given by this line of code:
Code:
strings -e b /path/to/game.exe | grep -A 1 FileVersion
where the main EXE was inside the directory win64. The terminal returned:
Code:
FileVersion
X.Y.Z
Alternatively, I could have opened the EXE in a HEX editor and looked for this hexadecimal value:
"460069006C006500560065007200730069006F006E00" (that is, F i l e V e r s i o n).

Then, I just had to download the archive nwjs-vX.Y.Z-linux-x64.tar.gz from , extract it, move the file package.nw from the game directory to the nwjs directory, and launch the game by doubleclicking the executable "nw". Hope it helps.

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
Ok lads, I'm on Archlinux and trying to play some older games, so I'm needing the version lib32 of gst-plugins-ugly for some of those rare codecs.
As it turns out, Arch doesn't offer that package anymore in their main repos, building it is nigh implossible given the number of unique dependencies also tend to break all the time during, including ffmpeg itself for some reason.

Anyone got a way out?

Flugelbozz

Nov 12, 2018
Ok lads, I'm on Archlinux and trying to play some older games, so I'm needing the version lib32 of gst-plugins-ugly for some of those rare codecs.
As it turns out, Arch doesn't offer that package anymore in their main repos, building it is nigh implossible given the number of unique dependencies also tend to break all the time during, including ffmpeg itself for some reason.

Anyone got a way out?
AUR seems to already have it , but if thats not working out for you, you might wanna get the files from fedora/ubuntu and plop them into the spots where arch finds them. I've had success with ncurses-compat and taking fedora files using this method. I don't use arch btw.

Bash:
rpm2cpio gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free-1.24.6-1.fc41.i686.rpm || cpio -idmv
Then compare the file paths and make sure they cp into the right places

Reactions: rrxm

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
AUR seems to already have it
Yeah that was the one I was trying for, but in the end I finally end up being able to make it, took me a good two days though, had go for most of the dependencies alone because a lot of them broke and aur helper wasn't helping with it.

But still, after making ugly/bad I was able to launch the player but the video in-game was just blank, I don't know why, but might try with clean prefix later. I could share those games if anyone wants to try it.

But another more important point, another classic game I was looking for, the original Kanotsuku, plays fine but crashes with a access error when on the loading screen.

Flugelbozz

Nov 12, 2018
Yeah that was the one I was trying for, but in the end I finally end up being able to make it, took me a good two days though, had go for most of the dependencies alone because a lot of them broke and aur helper wasn't helping with it.

But still, after making ugly/bad I was able to launch the player but the video in-game was just blank, I don't know why, but might try with clean prefix later. I could share those games if anyone wants to try it.

But another more important point, another classic game I was looking for, the original Kanotsuku, plays fine but crashes with a access error when on the loading screen.
list out the games with the errors. one of the fellow degens might have answers for you.
if its on f95, link them too

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
list out the games with the errors. one of the fellow degens might have answers for you.
In-game videos are a bit complicated, your best bet for that is vmware player. Sometimes wine-proton (with or without dxvk, and runtime provides all the deps such as gstreamer) is sufficient, but in many cases you actually need Windows, especially for older games.

aalexkj24

Dec 18, 2018

Try Lutris. I am also using Arch, but when i started Lutris for the first time, i noticed it is downloading ubuntu-16.04 32-bit packages

p0m

Apr 8, 2020
Hello! I'm trying to play Lutellaria using a dualshock4 controller, however, even in windows I need to use ds4windows in order for the game to detect the input. Is there a way to translate the inputs of my controller on wine as a xbox controller? thanks in advance!

Flugelbozz

Nov 12, 2018
Hello! I'm trying to play Lutellaria using a dualshock4 controller, however, even in windows I need to use ds4windows in order for the game to detect the input. Is there a way to translate the inputs of my controller on wine as a xbox controller? thanks in advance!

archwiki best friendo

p0m

Apr 8, 2020

archwiki best friendo
"Proton-GE does not support mapping DualShock 4 to an Xbox gamepad like Wine or Wine-GE does" that actually confuses me, because it makes me understand that there is built in way of doing it in wine

And following now shows a xbox controller, but going to wine control in terminal shows that even if there are 2 possible controllers(the xbox and my ds4), the xbox controller on dinput does not respond to my inputs. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Flugelbozz

Nov 12, 2018
"Proton-GE does not support mapping DualShock 4 to an Xbox gamepad like Wine or Wine-GE does" that actually confuses me, because it makes me understand that there is built in way of doing it in wine

And following now shows a xbox controller, but going to wine control in terminal shows that even if there are 2 possible controllers(the xbox and my ds4), the xbox controller on dinput does not respond to my inputs. Any ideas?
Can you check if there is a dinput8.dll in the game files? If so, You can try overriding it in winecfg to "native, built-in" to see if the game picks up your inputs then. More info

Last edited:

p0m

Apr 8, 2020
Can you check if there is a dinput8.dll in the game files? If so, You can try overriding it in winecfg to "native, built-in" to see if the game picks up your inputs then. More info
unless its baked into the game exec, I don't see one, other than audiogroup1.dat, audiogroup2.dat and data.win, which I can't open in txt editors without turning it into gibberish

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
unless its baked into the game exec, I don't see one, other than audiogroup1.dat, audiogroup2.dat and data.win, which I can't open in txt editors without turning it into gibberish
Why don't you map gamepad buttons to keyboard? I used Qjoypad previously and it worked flawlessly. Actually, I'm interested what are the current options for qt6 and wayland since there are quite a few games I'd need mapped to keyboard. I found Antimicrox - is it any good?

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
Not sure if its the same as your case, but I had to map the gamepad with xbodrv, its one of the methods for it to work, it creates the xbox device emulating from the dualshock device (so you should remove the other one so the game doesn't mistakenly use it instead). The default method for xboxdrv tho, is just enabling a driver for the xbox controller, so do it the mentioned method you need to it manually.

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
I'll just give preference to this one, I happen to have to torrent of the game prepacked if anyone wants to try it out.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So to be clear, I'm able to start and play the game just fine, however after saving and trying to load, it will crash on that screen with "access error" message.

p0m

Apr 8, 2020
Not sure if its the same as your case, but I had to map the gamepad with xbodrv, its one of the methods for it to work, it creates the xbox device emulating from the dualshock device (so you should remove the other one so the game doesn't mistakenly use it instead). The default method for xboxdrv tho, is just enabling a driver for the xbox controller, so do it the mentioned method you need to it manually.
since english isn't my main language the way you worded it actually helped! Now the inputs are being read in wine control, but not by the game itself? do I need to point the game towards the controller?
Captura de imagem_20240823_121354.png Captura de imagem_20240823_121424.png

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
since english isn't my main language the way you worded it actually helped! Now the inputs are being read in wine control, but not by the game itself? do I need to point the game towards the controller?
So I don't quite remember if I was able to play wine games without issues, but mostly proton games on Steam, though I am able to play generally speaking some wine games on my native gamepad drive.

Now for method I mentioned (I apologize for the wording because I was very sleepy last night).

First of all, attached file is my xboxdrv config (renamed txt because it wouldn't accept otherwise), maybe it will work for you but probably not, because mine was a generic gamepad in the format of a DualShock, not an actual DS4 like yours. But here is where mapping happens, it also takes on the /dev/input/by-id depending on whatever is gonna show up for you.

Next I ran sudo "xboxdrv --evdev /dev/input/event21 --config ./gamepad.cfg"
Which also depends on which dev/event your gamepad is gonna be, this is going to create another device which is the virtual XBox controller, so you should now have both devices as /dev/input/js
However, the first js0 now shouldn't be getting any input, as all input will be going to js1 instead as the virtual xboxdrv, according to the map you've done.

So the js* devices are what mapper for games and presumably for wine as well, if you could you would pick the second one on games, but most games don't have that option, so to avoid conflicts, this is the part now where you manually remove the first joystick device with
rm /dev/input/js0 this should be enough as the joystick device is a plug-and-play for the user runtime and have user ownership.

This is what I had to do everytime to get the gamepad running, if the config doesn't work for you, you can probably find a config if your gamepad is the original DS4 or some other famous brand, but if everything else fails, you can conjure your own. Also, if its bluetooth, it adds a whole nother layer of issues to deal with, so I recommend wired only.
After doing all that you should be able to test with your native or wine joystick thingies.
View attachment gamepad.txt

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes