VN Ren'Py Pokemon Academy Life Forever [v05.11.2024] [Pokémon Visual]

4.70 star(s) 10 Votes

Yakis0ba

Aug 7, 2017
Wait, is it a kinetic novel? As in no choices? Or is the flirting choice-related?
There are choices (Pokemon stuff, classes, occasional dialogue choices) choose who you hang out with to build your relationship with them to unlock the next scene, etc), but the flirting happens within dialogue that's part of the story.

Brainfurt

Apr 2, 2023
no choice on the MC flirting with guys
There are choices (Pokemon stuff, classes, occasional dialogue choices) choose who you hang out with to build your relationship with them to unlock the next scene, etc), but the flirting happens within dialogue that's part of the story.
neil-patrick-harris-upset.gif

Will still give it a try - someday - but it's disappointing. Weird choice ngl. Thank you both.

• Haha
Reactions: Kylie Bloodmoon
Oct 18, 2018
That's not even really strictly true, except that the game is low on content right now. Your relationship event with Nessa is very obviously treated as a date, for example.

zeerin

Nov 9, 2017
The MC letting you know that they're flexible doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to build your relationships with those characters.
I've brought this up before, but there's no valid reason to let us know the MC is flexible. Give us the option to be with dialogue choices, but ultimately let us decide if the MC is flexible or nah. Which, btw, might be one of the best way of saying bi that I've ever seen.

loikl

Feb 14, 2018
It's great that this is still alive, but, just out of curiosity, is this going to have sex one day?

Nothing happens if not, but only to know where it is headed.

Jul 23, 2018
The MC letting you know that they're flexible doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to build your relationships with those characters.
The problem isnt that he is letting you know he is "flexible" but that he only seems to be "flexible" with the guys. With most of the women his "flirting" is downright standoffish other then with leaf. But he blatantly admita his attraction and his intent to attract guys multiple times. You may as well take them women out and make it gay pokemon academy. Like i said, i dont have an issue with you going the bi or gay route IF thats what you want, or if he equally flirts with the women and shows his intent to attract women as well. But there is very little of that. ‍♂

Reactions: Kozuki12

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
The problem isnt that he is letting you know he is "flexible" but that he only seems to be "flexible" with the guys. With most of the women his "flirting" is downright standoffish other then with leaf. But he blatantly admita his attraction and his intent to attract guys multiple times. You may as well take them women out and make it gay pokemon academy.
MC expresses his attraction to multiple women in the cast, both openly and in his internal thoughts. If he shows restraint it's with girls who are already in relationships, and that's hardly a reason to complain or claim the game "may as well be made gay".

Consider your perception may be caused by confirmation bias -- you don't like MC expressing his appreciation for dudes so each time he does it, that grates on you and is made memorable. While his flirting with women or drooling over them is something you expect, consider natural and don't pay it a second thought.

TFFBladez

Oct 10, 2020
I wondering if there will be some mod's made up for this to allow you to go to every elective in a day. I read so far at least this time they will let you swap electives. will you have enough time like a persona game where you can get all the story if you keep going around to everyone in the game year? or do the in-game days actually matter and it's a point where there is 7 days with alt schedules and you keep swapping around an the story only progress's from doing events?

Last edited:

zeerin

Nov 9, 2017
MC being bi and simply expressing it is a perfectly valid reason.
No, it's not. Because in a choice-based, character driven story, and considering the "no sexual content" tag, this very much is a character driven story, you want the player to be able to insert themselves into the character. With a kinetic novel, the player has no freedom to decide what the MC is like, so they base their decision to play on the tags. That way, if they're not into dudes fucking each other, women fucking each other, etc. they can avoid the game. But when the game is choice-based, forcing the MC to be bi is a failure of the narrative.

Reactions: Nixi~ and Yakis0ba
Oct 18, 2018
The problem isnt that he is letting you know he is "flexible" but that he only seems to be "flexible" with the guys. With most of the women his "flirting" is downright standoffish other then with leaf. But he blatantly admita his attraction and his intent to attract guys multiple times. You may as well take them women out and make it gay pokemon academy. Like i said, i dont have an issue with you going the bi or gay route IF thats what you want, or if he equally flirts with the women and shows his intent to attract women as well. But there is very little of that. ‍♂
Have you actually tried a bunch of the game yet? There's flirty opportunities with multiple girls. You can literally tell Hilda to her face that she's a hot mom, and Nessa's first relationship event is straight up a date. But first events with people mostly don't look like flirting, because firstly that would be weird if they all were, and secondly their purpose is to establish what these characters are about so their story can be woven into getting closer to them later.

Reactions: DeathAl

Yakis0ba

Aug 7, 2017
Have you actually tried a bunch of the game yet? There's flirty opportunities with multiple girls. You can literally tell Hilda to her face that she's a hot mom, and Nessa's first relationship event is straight up a date. But first events with people mostly don't look like flirting, because firstly that would be weird if they all were, and secondly their purpose is to establish what these characters are about so their story can be woven into getting closer to them later.
You can tell Hilda she's a hot mom. You can also not. That probably makes some difference to some people.

jak1165

Mar 10, 2018
No, it's not. Because in a choice-based, character driven story, and considering the "no sexual content" tag, this very much is a character driven story, you want the player to be able to insert themselves into the character. With a kinetic novel, the player has no freedom to decide what the MC is like, so they base their decision to play on the tags. That way, if they're not into dudes fucking each other, women fucking each other, etc. they can avoid the game. But when the game is choice-based, forcing the MC to be bi is a failure of the narrative.
You are free to not engage with any of the characters.

In fact, in the free roams, you can just....battle pokemon. The only option that feels "forced" on the player is your interactions with Leaf.

BlackwingYu

May 14, 2022
So, funny story. In May of last year, I Twitter dm'd Jeremy Hwang, former lead artist on PAL asking if the game was coming back any time soon. He basically admitted that progress had essentially come to a halt. A few days later, the PAL account tweeted out the big "abandoned project" tweet and we all found out. Fast forward 9 months, and PAL is back with a new dev team and rebranded.

But if you think about it, I wonder how long progress had already been halted for. The official account hadn't tweeted anything for over a year before I asked Hwang. If I hadn't sent that DM and got the former team to reconsider if they were getting anything done, I wonder if the game would still be in perpetual update hell. Then there wouldn't be an announcement of the project going down, and there certainly wouldn't be a new team working on it. I guess you really do just have to bug people about stuff sometimes.

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
No, it's not. Because in a choice-based, character driven story, and considering the "no sexual content" tag, this very much is a character driven story, you want the player to be able to insert themselves into the character.
Yes, it is. It's perfectly possible for a game to have a pre-defined character (including their sexuality) that the player has no influence over. In fact, bulk of the games on this site --including "character-driven stories"-- have pre-defined heterosexual characters and never give the player a choice in this regard. I don't recall seeing you complain in threads of those other games about this issue.

If you can't "insert yourself" into a bisexual character, and are also unable to approach it as reading/crafting a story about someone who isn't "you" but simply a person the story is about, then it's basically just a "you" problem. This developer has no real obligation to go out of their way to accommodate your preference, just like most of them don't.

Oct 18, 2018
Yes, it is. It's perfectly possible for a game to have a pre-defined character (including their sexuality) that the player has no influence over. In fact, bulk of the games on this site --including "character-driven stories"-- have pre-defined heterosexual characters and never give the player a choice in this regard. I don't recall seeing you complain in threads of those other games about this issue.

If you can't "insert yourself" into a bisexual character, and are also unable to approach it as reading/crafting a story about someone who isn't "you" but simply a person the story is about, then it's basically just a "you" problem. This developer has no real obligation to go out of their way to accommodate your preference, just like most of them don't.
It's also not that hard for people to just ignore the bits where Red's like "I could go with guys too" if they intend to only go after girls. That side, it's not like it should be weird for people to compliment others, even of the same sex. You can say "my friend is handsome/pretty/etc" without it having to have sexual interest.

Reactions: DeathAl and ffive

zeerin

Nov 9, 2017
You are free to not engage with any of the characters.

In fact, in the free roams, you can just....battle pokemon. The only option that feels "forced" on the player is your interactions with Leaf.
Wrong. MC decides, on his own, that he's bi and to flirt with some of the guys without any input from the player. The definition of forced.

4.70 star(s) 10 Votes