• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

RPGM PokéThroat [v0.2] [Berber86]

Nexor6

Aug 8, 2018
I would have liked too but it's technically impossible. SDT runs under Flash which is not supported at all and the game itself is developed with an old version of RPG Maker which absolutely does not support Flash in any way. So if you find me a way to mix the two, I will make that mixture. But I doubt it exists and it would take too much time to create from scratch when we're talking about a little free "game" ^^

Otherwise, for those interested, I will soon release 0.2 with some nice additions and the rest of the adventure. I think there will be a 0.3 before the final 1.0 with the full base adventure.
well whether its possible or not is secondary, because all that matters is the end product

Berber86

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2023
well whether its possible or not is secondary, because all that matters is the end product
You can have such high expectations for a AAA game developed by a big company. Here, we're talking about a free little game developed by a single guy who has no more knowledge than that and who does it in his free time.
So sorry if the game doesn't meet your expectations but you have to be realistic for a second too. I don't get paid for it, it's a hobby and I have other things to do than try to mix two totally incompatible basic technologies just to satisfy a few people for a free game.

Nexor6

Aug 8, 2018
You can have such high expectations for a AAA game developed by a big company. Here, we're talking about a free little game developed by a single guy who has no more knowledge than that and who does it in his free time.
So sorry if the game doesn't meet your expectations but you have to be realistic for a second too. I don't get paid for it, it's a hobby and I have other things to do than try to mix two totally incompatible basic technologies just to satisfy a few people for a free game.
yes its a free game, and sure its your hobby project. Im still gonna give my review based solely on how good it is and not whether its a hobby project or not, or done by 1 guy. Reviews and opinions are supposed to be based on the game only to estabilish a status quo that ensures all games are rated the same way, because all that matters is the experience. At least thats the way i do it and prefer to keep it that way

Berber86

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2023
Hi!
v0.2 is available! This is a little update that fixes some issues and adds some content.

For players who played v0.1, you need to follow this to keep your save:
You need to go to the "AppData/Roaming" folder in your "user" folder (you can open it by writing "%appdata%" in the Windows search bar or from the "Run" menu). In this folder, you will see the “PokéThroat Ascent v0.1” folder. You should rename it to "PokéThroat" simply to avoid losing the save every time you update the game.

The update also implemented the running shoes that are obtained in the first gym. You can get them by talking to Bea from the first gym again.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: DarkLink

Guipa

Feb 24, 2020
The game is fun but it has room for improvement, three things I feel it needs are a way to see what pokemon you can encounter in an area(it can start with all pokemon being hidden and you just know how many there are and then you can only see what they are upon encountering them), a way to fast travel, maybe with someone in the pokemon center with an abra to teleport you between camps(you'd need to have visited the camp to unlock the warp there though) and a move tutor/relearner maybe in the pokemon center to better build your movesets

Zbork

Feb 4, 2018
The update also implemented the running shoes that are obtained in the first gym. You can get them by talking to Bea from the first gym again.
Not sure this works. Assuming Bea is the white-haired girl in the gym, she just says "I have to train harder" and gives you a BJ. There's no options for conversation or any sign of shoes.

I'd also appreciate being able to skip the scenes with a hotkey. If you trigger one by accident it's a bit irritating having to wait 30s before you can do anything. Fast travel as mentioned elsewhere would also be very welcome.

EDIT: Okay, triggering combat every 5 steps is also really getting old. And the repels are extremely expensive for something that's just there to make walking around less irritating and time-consuming. Again, maybe this is me not appreciating Pokemon convention, but spending 10 minutes walking to the next interesting thing because I have to fight off/escape 100 low-level Pokemon is very dull. That's exactly the opposite of what I want from a game. Honestly the ideal for me would be no ambushes, just places I can deliberately go to trigger a fight. YMMV of course.

Last edited:

Berber86

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2023
This is my first time making a game and my first time using RPG Maker as a creator. And the more I advance, the more I realize that the base is not good: the map and its "story" limits me a lot in terms of possibilities and the gameplay is indeed too old-fashioned, too laborious.

Now that I have gained a little experience with this, I think I'll start from 0 on a healthier basis by taking into account all the feedback I have had. I put the Pokémon side on the back burner but I feel like it should be front and center when I read the comments. In any case, thank you to everyone who commented, played and gave me feedback, it's motivating to move forward! And Nintendo hasn't sent me any mail yet so for now, I'll continue :LOL:

Reactions: Gojii

Zbork

Feb 4, 2018
This is my first time making a game and my first time using RPG Maker as a creator.
(snip)
In any case, thank you to everyone who commented, played and gave me feedback, it's motivating to move forward! And Nintendo hasn't sent me any mail yet so for now, I'll continue :LOL:
Good on you for making the effort and taking feedback positively. Looking back I feel like didn't comment much on the positives. The new special candies for levelling up were much appreciated. You've clearly put work in to mix up the battles with different themes and strengths, and build the story side.

To me it feels like the issues with the game are down to Pokemon itself, which makes sense: it's an older game, designed to offer a lot of hours of play, and partly does that by being slow and grindy and making you think a lot about building up your roster and picking skills etc. But that distracts from the H aspect of your game, I think.

Looking forward to see what you do! This isn't at all bad for your first game.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Berber86