POLL: Character Customization Preferences?

Which combinations of customization-illustration would you like to see in a game? (Choose up to 3)

• AI-generated images based on predefined characters, full aesthetic customization only in text.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Actual art based on predefined characters, full aesthetic customization only in text.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nxtm4n

Jun 11, 2017
So I'm currently in the beginning stages of writing my own game, and I'm trying to make a decision about character customization - specifically, about how much of it I should offer, and how that can or should affect the art I provide with the game.

Firstly, I should clarify that the game is almost entirely text-based. The only art I'm currently planning to include is character portraits for each character - possibly multiple depending on their status, but at least one portrait for each NPC. The question, then, is how I handle the PC's portrait, and those of the two NPCs who (if the Incest setting is activate) are your relatives.

Character Customization-wise, I currently offer a selection of 8 predefined characters (each with specific appearances, interests, and so on) which you can then customize to your heart's content (changing both purely aesthetic aspects like the color of their hair and skin, and options that affect available content, like their genitalia or what things they start with an interest in).

The easiest option - other than entirely dropping the idea of art for the PC - would be to either drop the appearance-based customization (while still allowing you to change things like the character's name and interests) and just a portrait for each of the predefined characters - or, alternatively, have a note under your character portrait if you've changed your appearance, admitting that it doesn't reflect your actual appearance.

Slightly more complicated would be to track, during character creation, which portrait is most like your character, and to display that instead. This probably means that instead of having a specific portrait for each of the 8 predefined characters, I would have portraits for simple intersections of skin color, hair color, and hairstyle - say, a blonde, dark-haired, and redheaded portrait for each hairstyle of long hair, short hair, and curly hair, for each skin color of light or dark. That would be ~18 different portraits to start of with, which isn't so bad - it would, however, get exponentially larger as I add more portraits.

To enable real character customization that gets reflected in the portrait, I would need to entirely change the artstyle I'm using. Currently, I'm using an image-generating AI model I like - I've attached some examples of the style it generates in, and my profile picture also uses that model. I'm during this because it's relatively quick and I like the art style I get with it - however, it's far from the best way to create images combinatorially.

To do that, I would want something more like a paperdoll, where I wouldn't need a unique image for every combination of aspects - just one for each aspect, which could combine together. There are a ton of tools out there I could use for this, or I could do it myself - I'm a passable artist, and I've done paperdoll-esque setups for OCs of mine before (although typically I'm just slapping a new outfit on top of a nude base, rather than changing physical features - still, it's the same principle).

The downside of that, of course, is that I wouldn't just be losing the art style of the AI model - I would also be making vastly more work for myself if I ever want to start adding art outside of the character gallery. While that's not something I currently plan to do, using the AI model to generate images of the NPCs begging for facials or similar would be much quicker and more doable than drawing it myself - I'm a decent artist, but I'm not a quick one, and in the time it would take to make a decent image for a scene, I would be able to write an entirely new scene.

The somewhat long-winded question, then... which of those options would you enjoy seeing in a game? If you have any other suggestions, views or things to think about, feel free to let me know.

Lewd Asshole

Dec 18, 2022
I voted for both options with art best fitting the full aesthetic customisation and for my third vote I went for no art and full customisation in text only. Something like the system of TiTS (so no specifics, but it changes with muscle mass, breast size, cumflation and that kind of stuff).

But before asking that question, you should ask if you really need a custom portrait for the main character. Cause if you're gonna railroad the player all throughout the game then there's no point in letting him change his character. Giving total freedom also means having to write around crazy weird characters like turbo lanklets, morbidly obese or danny devito kind of characters so it's not just the art you're gonna have extra work with here if you go that route.

About the PC's relatives, just match skin and hair colour and it's good enough. A lot of people aren't even that similar to their parents so just hitting the obvious stuff should work fine.

have a note under your character portrait if you've changed your appearance, admitting that it doesn't reflect your actual appearance.
Please don't.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
So I'm currently in the beginning stages of writing my own game, and I'm trying to make a decision about character customization
So the answer is obvious: None

Make a game, see how fucking more complex, and time consuming, it is than you thought. Then, if you still want to offer character customization for your next game, come back at this moment to ask what the few people who will answer can possibly prefer.

[...] and how that can or should affect the art I provide with the game.
Here also the answer is obvious.

What would you think about a game that would let you choose a fit tall blond thirtish girl with green eyes and DD boobs, but that would systematically show you, and talk about, a short dark haired twentish girl that abused pizza yet have near to no boobs ? Not much good I guess...
If you let the player choose, he will expect the game to be exactly about what he chose. And if it's not what happen, most of the time he will close the game and search another one that don't starts by false advertising.

Firstly, I should clarify that the game is almost entirely text-based.
What change nothing to what I said.

Each time you'll talk about the girl, you'll have to take count of what have been chosen by the player. She have blond hairs and go in Spain, she'll not pass unnoticed among all those dark haired girls. She have an androgynous body, there's surely people who will confuse her with a boy. She have big boobs, she'll attract perverts' attention, and clothes will not fit the same way. She's unfit, she'll want to make pause time to time. And so on.

And, of course, since the visuals will be extremely limited, players will pardon way less the fact that you don't invested enough in your game to provide one that will exactly correspond to their choice.

Ying Ko

Jun 16, 2018
I chose "No images, full aesthetic customization in text", but "no images, partial customization in text" would be more advisable, as in a variation on a theme for that character. If you want portraits you could include a portrait "slot", where the player could replace the blank default image with an image of their liking, after reading the characters bio.

HarveyD

Oct 15, 2017
My personal preference is actual art and the paperdoll system. Having my own character in a game is always great. But that's a lot of extra work.

You seem to have gotten the AI you're using to produce some fairly decent art already though. And you also mention you're mainly only going to be using portraits for characters. You've also created some predefined player characters already. So it sounds like the work has been done. You're just asking if you should bog yourself down doing more work.

When you're making your first of anything you really need to be looking at all of the things you can cut. Not worrying about what you should add. Just stick with what you already have. Perhaps even cut customization entirely except for maybe name and genitals.

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

nxtm4n

Jun 11, 2017
Cause if you're gonna railroad the player all throughout the game then there's no point in letting him change his character.
I'm not sure why you assume I'm going to be railroading people. The player will be able to choose which of the NPCs they want to pursue, as well as being able to make choices about how to interact with them and react to events, as they make their way through the game.

If I wanted to railroad people, I wouldn't make a game - I'd write another book.

Giving total freedom also means having to write around crazy weird characters like turbo lanklets, morbidly obese or danny devito kind of characters so it's not just the art you're gonna have extra work with here if you go that route.
Perhaps I should clarify, there's not going to be total freedom in character customization, precisely for that reason. While you're able to customize a number of things, all characters will end up within a certain range in order to avoid precisely the issue you mention.

So the answer is obvious: None

Make a game, see how fucking more complex, and time consuming, it is than you thought. Then, if you still want to offer character customization for your next game, come back at this moment to ask what the few people who will answer can possibly prefer.
I'd appreciate it if you didn't treat me like I'm an idiot. Yes, making a game is complex and time consuming. I'm well aware of that, because - while this is my first time making an erotic game - it's not the first time I've made a game, nor is it my first foray into erotica. Yes, an erotic game of the sort I'm working on is an ambitious project, but it's a kind of project I've done before. While you have no way of knowing that I'm not a novice - nor do I have any way of proving it that I'm willing to share - that doesn't make it okay to be an asshole.

Each time you'll talk about the girl, you'll have to take count of what have been chosen by the player. She have blond hairs and go in Spain, she'll not pass unnoticed among all those dark haired girls. She have an androgynous body, there's surely people who will confuse her with a boy. She have big boobs, she'll attract perverts' attention, and clothes will not fit the same way. She's unfit, she'll want to make pause time to time. And so on.
Again, please don't assume that I'm stupid. That's exactly what the customization is for - some characters like certain attributes better, being toned/muscular opens up new options for going to the gym or running and meeting characters that way, etc.

My personal preference is actual art and the paperdoll system. Having my own character in a game is always great. But that's a lot of extra work.

You seem to have gotten the AI you're using to produce some fairly decent art already though. And you also mention you're mainly only going to be using portraits for characters. You've also created some predefined player characters already. So it sounds like the work has been done. You're just asking if you should bog yourself down doing more work.

When you're making your first of anything you really need to be looking at all of the things you can cut. Not worrying about what you should add. Just stick with what you already have. Perhaps even cut customization entirely except for maybe name and genitals.

Keep It Simple, Stupid.
While this is basically the same advice that anne offered, I appreciate that you weren't condescending about it.

It sounds like you're suggesting to limit people to the predefined PCs (except for changing the name and genitals) so that the art can be consistent - is that right?

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'd appreciate it if you didn't treat me like I'm an idiot.
[...] that doesn't make it okay to be an asshole.
Again, please don't assume that I'm stupid.
And, funnily enough, while you were so focused on what you believe you worth and that everyone should assume without even knowing, one instant before, that you exist, at no time you addressed what effectively matters in regard of your question ; despite it being addressed twice...

"If you let the player choose, he will expect the game to be exactly about what he chose. And if it's not what happen, most of the time he will close the game and search another one that don't starts by false advertising."
"And, of course, since the visuals will be extremely limited, players will pardon way less the fact that you don't invested enough in your game to provide one that will exactly correspond to their choice."

nxtm4n

Jun 11, 2017
And, funnily enough, while you were so focused on what you believe you worth and that everyone should assume without even knowing, one instant before, that you exist,
I'm not objecting to the assumption that I'm new to this - as I said, you have way of knowing anything about me. I'm objecting to you being an ass about that assumption.

A person being new doesn't mean you get to be a dick about giving advice to them, no matter how good that advice is. Cruelty to newbies does nothing but make people who might otherwise have enjoyed a hobby, might even have one day made something you enjoyed, get frustrated and give up.

at no time you addressed what effectively matters in regard of your question ; despite it being addressed twice...
...because I have no obligation to pay the slightest attention to advice or input offered by someone who gives it like an asshole. People who offer input with the bare minimum of respect that is 'not being rude to people you've just met'. Which is why I'm going to Ignore you and move on with my life.

• Haha
Reactions: anne O'nymous

nxtm4n

Jun 11, 2017
After seeing people's responses here and elsewhere - in particular about why people want character customization and what they want it to do - I think I'm probably going to be cutting it entirely.

My writing style tends towards having a strong voice for the main character, and the scenes I have written already are no exception - I guess over a million words of novels and roleplay are a hard habit to get out of! However, that's not really compatible with people wanting to be able to project themselves onto their PC by customizing them. Being able to specify the size of her tits or the color of her hair isn't likely to matter when, regardless of exactly what she looks like, she still has a distinct voice that may not fit with the character you want to make her into.

...and, while I'm not afraid of all that goes into making sure customization is properly reflected in a game, I am cognizant that it can balloon the depth of any individual piece of content. Take the sex scene I have written for the game already, for example - I started out intending for it to have two variations (one for a futanari main character, one for a female) and ended up with six - the futa scene split into two for characters with huge dicks and normal sized ones (huge dicks got to suck themselves off), and all three of those scenes had major variations for whether or not incest was on! If I had committed to a single character, I would only have had to write one of those six scenes, which would mean more progress on writing other scenes.

Is it better to have one scene with 4-6 variations, or 4-6 entirely separate scenes? I'm not certain, but I know which one will fit better with my writing style.

As for my ideas that don't fit in with the character I end up settling on... well, those I can just save for another game down the line. I may already have a rough idea of how that one will work, and in some ways it'll be entirely the opposite of this one.

This means cutting a decent amount of code, a few thousand words of content, and rewriting much of the rest... but hey, it's not as if I don't enjoy the process! And honestly, this will probably mean that my first release will be able to come out sooner.

TL;DR Thank you all for the feedback! I've made my decision, which is to cut the character customization elements so as to not mislead the player about how much they can influence who the main character is... and, as a side benefit, to allow me to create character portraits that actually fit her.

balitz Method

Jan 30, 2018
The easiest practical approach to character customization in a text game is to focus on having the text, which is the bulk of what's there, acknowledge the player's characteristics when it can and just flat-out not worry too much about visual representation. Alternatively you can always let the player upload an avatar picture if that's the extent of the imagery in the game. Trying to lean too hard on AI will probably alienate as many people as it'd please.

The other issue, as you seem to be discovering, is that writing scenes for different body types &c can balloon the amount of work you have to put into writing any particular scene. People do really like to be able to craft a particular character type that they find sexy and then plop them into an erogame but that instant interest does carry a price. Some devs deal with it by allowing customization while severely limiting how much impact those customizations have, others deal with it by having multiple writers who tend to focus on particular ideas in the hopes that they cast a wide enough net together to please most of the fanbase, but what I prefer to do with a customizable protagonist is write a defined character who can be steered by the player into several niches. That way the scenes can focus on what that particular niche is about without having to account for a bunch of others.

You can't cover everything that way, but I feel like a real character who's impacted by one of the available states is more interesting for me to write and a reader to engage with than allowing for a player's absolutely perfect chimera sue but only acknowledging its shape in a bland way.

nxtm4n

Jun 11, 2017
The other issue, as you seem to be discovering, is that writing scenes for different body types &c can balloon the amount of work you have to put into writing any particular scene. People do really like to be able to craft a particular character type that they find sexy and then plop them into an erogame but that instant interest does carry a price. Some devs deal with it by allowing customization while severely limiting how much impact those customizations have, others deal with it by having multiple writers who tend to focus on particular ideas in the hopes that they cast a wide enough net together to please most of the fanbase, but what I prefer to do with a customizable protagonist is write a defined character who can be steered by the player into several niches. That way the scenes can focus on what that particular niche is about without having to account for a bunch of others.

You can't cover everything that way, but I feel like a real character who's impacted by one of the available states is more interesting for me to write and a reader to engage with than allowing for a player's absolutely perfect chimera sue but only acknowledging its shape in a bland way.
I feel the same way, and that's what I'm going to try to shoot for.