POLL: Do you want to change the skin color of your MC? (white, brown, or black)

Do you want to change the skin color of your MC? (white, brown, or black)

• YES: Let me choose from [WHITE], [BROWN], or [BLACK] skin, for my MC. It's very important to me.

Votes: 134 45.3%
  • YES: Let me choose from [WHITE] or [BLACK] skin, for my MC. It's very important to me.

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • NO: Leave MC as [TAN WHITE] skin tone only. Spend more time on sexy renders for the love interests.

Votes: 57 19.3%
  • NO: Leave MC as [PALE WHITE] skin tone only. Spend more time on sexy renders for the love interests.

Votes: 52 17.6%
  • NO: Leave MC as [BROWN] skin tone only. Spend more time on sexy renders for the love interests.

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • NO: Leave MC as [BLACK] skin tone only. Spend more time on sexy renders for the love interests.

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • OTHER: I'll respond in the thread with my thoughts.

Votes: 23 7.8%

• Total voters

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
A Black MC would pretty much lose 98% of the playerbase. Bad idea.

Goeffel

Sep 10, 2022
well, this was interesting for me.

At first I would have subscribed 100% to the very first answer in this topic.
But reading on, I realised that "I don't care for such feature" is likely my answer only because I am white, and most male MCs too (jap.games they still look very "white").

And I am not so sure if black male MC = lose large % of players, resp. if that would matter.
Even if losing say 75% of pirate players, but maybe at the same time gaining 10% paying players (because game stands out with this feature, because some players would want to support such game) ... maybe the effects would sum up into the positive.

Last edited:

Zoe Archangel

Jun 23, 2024
For your typical renpy VN composed of static images, it might not be feasible to allow options, even if people want it.

A recently released game, Bare Witness, has 14,872 images/webms. Let's say the MC(or at least part of his body) appears in roughly half of these images. Each extra skin tone option would add another ~7000 files that need to be rendered and packaged with the game. You can use composite images to cut down on file size, but that requires additional programming time as well.

Reactions: AllNatural939

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
(jap.games they still look very "white").
You mean with the straight black hair and the small / flat nose? :LUL:

Japanese characters, including all Koikatsu and Honey Select games, don't look anything like Europeans, except, perhaps the skin color. Which can be made any shade with these programs.

And I am not so sure if black male MC = lose large % of players, resp. if that would matter.
Even if losing say 75% of pirate players, but maybe at the same time gaining 10% paying players (because game stands out with this feature, because some players would want to support such game) ... maybe the effects would sum up into the positive.
This is I think an excellent point which is not sufficiently considered by devs.