Possible problems of copyrighted content on free game

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Well, once you've taken your meds, perhaps you'll change your mind.
OMG... it's the smartest reply I've ever seen...

At least you've conceded that a game dev who provides links to youtube, is not in any way bound by youtube's TOS
Read again, I never said the otherwise. Smart as you are, it's surprising that you missed this.

This said, my day off being now over, EOT.

Philly_Games

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2017
Music if u want custom stuff you have to pay out the nose. You can find some free stuff out there but make sure you check the license. U need an attribution license for commercial use. Now mind you, there is limited stuff out there especially if u are looking for something specific.

For my new game i needed music suitable for a cyber punk theme. I found very few songs that fit what was in my head for free. Things for clubs and stuff was easy but anything more dark or subdued was tough. I ended up spending over $1200 usd on licensed tracks. Yeah im crazy but it was worth it and players seemed to really like the music so I think in the end it will work out.

• Wow
Reactions: niffi

anonimasta

Feb 27, 2018
I've been reading your replies, and first of all, thank you for caring. Second, please let me reinforce the fact that the game is intended to be FREE as in no storefront launch, no Patreon-locked versions, just a free game to (hopefully) be distributed on this very website. I don't know whether or not you were already taking that into account but I find it hard to believe that copyright holders would be that strict on a project of this nature.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I've been reading your replies, and first of all, thank you for caring. Second, please let me reinforce the fact that the game is intended to be FREE as in no storefront launch, no Patreon-locked versions, just a free game to (hopefully) be distributed on this very website. I don't know whether or not you were already taking that into account but I find it hard to believe that copyright holders would be that strict on a project of this nature.
Not all of them. Some of them put their work out their for free - without any conditions - and some of them want money for it - regardless of your use case.

It all depends on the specific track you want to use.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Ive put gym videos on facebook and had the sound blocked because of the music in the background from the gym, there is dascham page on facebook too that uses youtube, they had 3 or 4 weeks with no sound while the argued with youtube over music in cars on the videos. The music industry would ban us singing in the shower if they could.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Hello. Having been inspired by the various VNs I've been playing from in and outside of here I began creating one of my own as a (secret) hobby/side project to potentially being released here (if by some miracle I even get there on this lifetime XD). Thing is, as I write the script and come up with ideas for scenes, more often than not I do it while picturing the "soundtrack" to said scene.

I know that eventually some of the resources used to make this kind of VNs (such as "alternatively aqquired" assets for DAZ 3D) end up breaking it anyway. Sound-wise, however, pretty much all of the music I recognize on said type of games, is royalty free (I've heard "Sneaky Snitch" in at least 3 different ones) which makes me ask: why? Is it because those games are being funded and using non-royalty free music gets them a lot of heat? Is it because there is some kind of disadvantage appeal-wise to using other kind of music (as in feeling somewhat jarring during gameplay)? Or is simply it because music was an afterthought later in production?

I'm mostly seeking opinions from VN devs with any experience but I appreciate any given attention.
All type of media have a license: Photos, Software, Music, ... Even the games you make.

If you use DAZ3D models in rendering without purchasing them, DAZ3D geometry with the wrong or without license, music from Justin Bieber or a random photo you found on facebook you will get away with it at first (Since no one knows about the project unless you had followers to begin with) but eventually as the project gets bigger, more people will see said things and wonder where they came from.

Some things are easier to track than others, one such thing is music/sounds.

There are many licenses, the most common ones are:
Public domain, Attribution and Attribution non commercial.
When making a free game, you are allowed to use more content because of the "Attribution non commercial" license mixed with public domain and attribution ones.

Kevin MacLeod has already been mentioned, so let me share another website which you may find useful:
It is not out of the question to contact new musicians and ask them if you can use their tracks with an attribution non commercial license, they gain exposure and you gain a track to use in your game.

Reactions: fried

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
posting links to copyrighted music...

c020e522fd9a52cb877d7d57fa70e881.jpg

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Thought I'd pop in here and muddy the waters a bit.

So, a number of months back, Doctor Seuss Enterprises (DSE) sued two individuals for their Star Trek + Doctor Seuss Mashup of the book "Oh, The Places You'll Boldy Go". I posted about it here:

Anyways, short form, David and Ty (the Mashup authors) prevailed in the lawsuit this week. Their book was deemed fair use, and the case was dismissed. Of course, with any work where you borrow on the works of others you roll your dice and take your chances, but this was a win for the Fair Use camp.

This case is a fascinating read, for those who like to read about such things.