VN Ren'Py Abandoned Power Corrupts [v0.04.0] [Double Prolix]

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
IMO project is way to ambitious to have any potential. First thing developer should do is to find his target audience and then start thinking about expanding it. Here we have gay and female character option since v.000002 which quadruples needed work.

Just why? It's impossible to complete without a sizeble team, and people who like to self-insert as a men will be dissatifited with amount of content as well as those who like to self-insert as a women, or those who just like a good, erotic story. Something what aspires to be for anybody, usually is for nobody. And never gets completed. So I strongly advice the author to take few steps back and rethink the concept.

minibw

Feb 25, 2017
On the other hand...so few other games include those kinds of options that they'll do a lot to draw in audiences hungry for a little scrap every now and then. I know that I personally wouldn't be supporting this project, or even interested in it, if at least the m/m options weren't available. :biggrin:

It sucks that so many creators get overwhelmed and end up abandoning their games, but that seems to happen a lot with ANY project, no matter WHAT you put in there. Setting realistic goals is one thing, but isn't making the game you want to make also important?

Big Whyte

Feb 15, 2017
Link:
Release: 4 Nov 2017
Version: 0.01.3
Platform: Win & Mac
Language: English

Change-log:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Can someone please put up some new download links to version 0.01.3 as I can't use this one as I get a message saying this everytime

Access to w3g3a5v6.ssl.hwcdn.net was denied
You don't have authorization to view this page.

HTTP ERROR 403

DoubleProlix

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
Straight male was the default in 0.01. Gay, lesbian, and bi options were added in 0.02. It's all situational, though; don't fuck guys if you want to play a straight male. The options that lead to sexual content are pretty clear about it.

Reactions: dussalant

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Please do not take this the wrong way, as I haven't tried this intro yet, but just from reading the description in post number one, I'm not sure I want to... When folks call these types of games sandbox, I know full well that the term is being very loosely used... Just because you can go a few different places and grind out stats for your character as well as grind out stats on characters you interact with, does not make it sandbox... For the true meaning of what a sandbox game is check out this site ( )... I'll have to try it out to truly see if this one is following in the same footsteps that most other erotic games do, after claiming the same thing...

And it also mentions Visual Novel scenes... I think you actually mean 'short story driven scenes'... A Visual Novel is a Novel (a fictitious prose narrative of book length, typically representing character and action with some degree of realism) with supporting visuals, not a short scene with some story elements to it... It feels as if throwing those power words "Visual Novel" into the description, it's just an attempt at hooking some fish beyond the folks just looking for sex scenes to get their kicks... It's always disappointing when you try out something being hyped as something it isn't, and then feel like your time is being wasted... The description may need a re-think before you get a bunch of bad reviews from folks thinking the game is not what is being advertised...

DoubleProlix

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
Please do not take this the wrong way, as I haven't tried this intro yet, but just from reading the description in post number one, I'm not sure I want to... When folks call these types of games sandbox, I know full well that the term is being very loosely used... Just because you can go a few different places and grind out stats for your character as well as grind out stats on characters you interact with, does not make it sandbox... For the true meaning of what a sandbox game is check out this site ( )... I'll have to try it out to truly see if this one is following in the same footsteps that most other erotic games do, after claiming the same thing...
Thanks for your feedback. What I mean by Sandbox here is that the structure of the game is such that the player will encounter different story blocks (what I'm calling Visual Novel scenes) as they pursue whatever activities they'd prefer to engage in throughout the city during their career as a superhuman. These are floating plot hooks that the player can choose to engage in or to ignore as they see fit... I envision the available story units as a sort of diffuse cloud.

That said the game isn't a pure sandbox; there is a strong core storyline patterned after comic book "issues"; each "issue" is really a set of those diffuse story units related to a central theme that are encountered (to be engaged with or avoided as the player sees fit) at the same time.

There is no grinding involved. You can train because training to improve yourself is a superhero trope, but the main function is to encounter story elements that might be tied to the training activity, facility, or characters.

As of version 0.4, It's also how skill points are spent; you get a set number of points per "Issue", and training while you have free skill points is how you improve your abilities.

There is no way to grind. The only way to get more skill points is to continue the story. You cannot max out all of your skill points without cheating, but you don't really have to be because there's multiple ways to access the same content.

And it also mentions Visual Novel scenes... I think you actually mean 'short story driven scenes'... A Visual Novel is a Novel (a fictitious prose narrative of book length, typically representing character and action with some degree of realism) with supporting visuals, not a short scene with some story elements to it... It feels as if throwing those power words "Visual Novel" into the description, it's just an attempt at hooking some fish beyond the folks just looking for sex scenes to get their kicks... It's always disappointing when you try out something being hyped as something it isn't, and then feel like your time is being wasted... The description may need a re-think before you get a bunch of bad reviews from folks thinking the game is not what is being advertised...
Again, thank you for your feedback. In this case I'm referring to "Visual Novel" as a genre, not "Visual Novel" as a completed game. Everyone knows the traits associated with the typical VN genre - backgrounds, foreground character sprites, text boxes, menu choices, sometimes stats.

There are short VN sequences, but the larger structure (as I mention above) is shorter blocks (usually a scene or two) accessed through menu choices and map screens. I would hope that most people get what I'm talking about, but I'll consider your concerns carefully and try to come up with a better way to describe things.

Reactions: botc76 and Zippity

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for your feedback. What I mean by Sandbox here is that the structure of the game is such that the player will encounter different story blocks (what I'm calling Visual Novel scenes) as they pursue whatever activities they'd prefer to engage in throughout the city during their career as a superhuman. These are floating plot hooks that the player can choose to engage in or to ignore as they see fit... I envision the available story units as a sort of diffuse cloud.

That said the game isn't a pure sandbox; there is a strong core storyline patterned after comic book "issues"; each "issue" is really a set of those diffuse story units related to a central theme that are encountered (to be engaged with or avoided as the player sees fit) at the same time.

There is no grinding involved. You can train because training to improve yourself is a superhero trope, but the main function is to encounter story elements that might be tied to the training activity, facility, or characters.

As of version 0.4, It's also how skill points are spent; you get a set number of points per "Issue", and training while you have free skill points is how you improve your abilities.

There is no way to grind. The only way to get more skill points is to continue the story. You cannot max out all of your skill points without cheating, but you don't really have to be because there's multiple ways to access the same content.

Again, thank you for your feedback. In this case I'm referring to "Visual Novel" as a genre, not "Visual Novel" as a completed game. Everyone knows the traits associated with the typical VN genre - backgrounds, foreground character sprites, text boxes, menu choices, sometimes stats.

There are short VN sequences, but the larger structure (as I mention above) is shorter blocks (usually a scene or two) accessed through menu choices and map screens. I would hope that most people get what I'm talking about, but I'll consider your concerns carefully and try to come up with a better way to describe things.
I'll have to give it a go sometime and see how it's working out... Thanks for the information on your plans, as it's always awesome to hear back from author/s so quickly... Thanks...

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
(This review has been moved to the review section above, for this thread)

Last edited:
Reactions: DrackDrap

DoubleProlix

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
I'm glad you feel it shows promise, Zippity. And the visuals will change a lot - what you see now are placeholder assets until I can afford to commission real artwork.

Reactions: Zippity

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
I'm glad you feel it shows promise, Zippity. And the visuals will change a lot - what you see now are placeholder assets until I can afford to commission real artwork.
Gotcha... Yeah, I really like the mechanics so far, and can't wait to see what it looks like once all the mechanics are done... Best of luck getting those visuals updated, as I'm sure it's always tough putting these things together... I applaud folks who have the creative ingenuity and patience to work on these type of projects...

svnhddbst

Jun 19, 2017

honestly, consider putting this explanation on your patreon page, it's interesting enough just as a "forum post explaining the structure of the game" to make people that may have been leary of "throwing money into another game pit".

DoubleProlix

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
I had a public post describing the general structure, but I could put something on the page itself, sure.

DoubleProlix

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
Okay, so after repeatedly bumping my head against some of Ren'Py's limitations I've made the decision to switch development over to Unity. Essentially I was spending more time trying to get Python to do what I wanted than anything else, and that meant that while I was busting my ass coding, I didn't have much to post in the way of actual changes.

So henceforth development is going to be splitting. The main project is going to still be a sandbox superhero corruption sim (in unity). This won't produce any "new" content for awhile, but since all the art and writing is done it shouldn't take me too long to actually catch up to where I am now.

The other branch is going to use the work I've already put into Ren'Py into writing more "traditional" VN content. Branching storylines, but not as much of a RN-driven sim. This is going to produce a more regular update schedule because I'm not wasting time re-inventing the wheel in python.

These VNs will probably need their own threads as sort of "side stories" from the main project, but should I start a new thread for the sandbox, or will this one suffice?

Reactions: Drakis910
3.00 star(s) 1 Vote