Problems working with artists

Anorak

Feb 28, 2017
Maybe i wasnt precise enough - this isnt about you being 'too thick'.

It is commendable that you try to respect the artists wishes but you seem to set their priorities above your own in this context. You have the overall oversight and artistic idea and the overall schedule - not the artist you task with doing something. To keep a schedule on the entire project requires you to make hard , clear lines in terms of what, when, where. You not calling /contacting them is bad when you deal with someone who hasnt worked for/with you before.

The contract i linked was to show you that contracts can be self-made and as simple as the example. Contracts dont have to include a monetary aspect. They are about defining those what, when , where etc in a form hat doesnt leave room for interpretation about them. In words many dont like: you are the employer (at least in terms of this particular part). Your job is to make deadlines, enforce them and also to define intermediary steps to avoid something being worked on that cant be used once it is finished. It is common - every freelancer who has ever worked on something as simple or complex like a website can tell you too - to have steps between start and finish of a given part of your project. That includes art and graphics. Artists come in a variety of flavours. Artists that insist on 'creative freedom' in terms of not being willing to follow deadlines and at least a very basic project organisation are simply not meant to be tasked by you.
Thank you, that's easily understandable, but I have just one last question then.
If I could make a contract like that myself to set simple rules and standards, what would the 'invoice 0708' in the top right mean? I was wondering if that was some legal code or something. I could understand everything else on that contract..

Anorak

Feb 28, 2017
Imho. When you commission work don't pay all in advance/up front. Half'n Half,and rest uppon completion works though. I got no idea how much art you did commission from each artist though. When talking about a entire game it sounds like a lot though. Did they know it was for a entire game? Out of curiosity, do you have any example of what they did?
All of them were told in advance that it was going to be a long term project and that they were expected to draw for the entire game (But also that there were no specific deadline in place). And yeah, I do have a few pieces of artwork of what they did.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Thank you, that's easily understandable, but I have just one last question then.
If I could make a contract like that myself to set simple rules and standards, what would the 'invoice 0708' in the top right mean? I was wondering if that was some legal code or something. I could understand everything else on that contract..
Ignore that part - the example is basically the same form that artist uses as contract or invoice. So just a date for a contract

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Maybe i wasnt precise enough - this isnt about you being 'too thick'.

It is commendable that you try to respect the artists wishes but you seem to set their priorities above your own in this context. You have the overall oversight and artistic idea and the overall schedule - not the artist you task with doing something. To keep a schedule on the entire project requires you to make hard , clear lines in terms of what, when, where. You not calling /contacting them is bad when you deal with someone who hasnt worked for/with you before.
When you commission work. An agreed time frame is one of the more important things you really want have included in a contract though. But if the artist tell you they need x amount of time on a given number of pieces. It doesn't help you any to keep contact them for progress and updates though, they get back to you when they have something to show. Also there is a difference between an artist that have this as a living, and those that have it as a hobby they do in their spare time. When working on a larger thing such as a game, you really wan't to go with the former, not the later. They are after all, if not professionals, at least their reputation means a lot more to them when it's their acutal living.

Basilicata

Radioactive Member
Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear your story.
There's a very important factor here: And that is time. Many artists draw beautiful masterpieces but take a lot of time to.
Others can draw a beautiful face but fail to draw it in various angles. Frustration, self doubt and deadline pressure is an artist killer combination that money cannot push back. Of course there are true professionals but it's hard to find them and very expensive to hire them.
About oriental art: A hentai artist can be quick and efficient. Why? Because all the faces look basically the same. That's why to distinguish them, he has to change the color of the hair, hairstyle, glasses, body type etc. If you draw the same face over and over and over again, it's easier to do it fast. Also, if every artwork from every artist looks the same, it's easier to change artists midway and find reference images.
Drawback? No originality, no personality. Personally, I'm not a fan anymore. At least, western art has variety.
Lastly, creative people are opinionated people. Maybe an artist needs more freedom to do his thing. Ever heard of the ? Check it out.
You're not alone. Most 2dcg are abandoned because of the artist.
Personally, I do everything. Art, code, writing. And fail in all three lol The most difficult part and easier to criticism is the art.
I draw comics on paper ever since I was a kid. I even had a scholarship in an art school. But now, I prefer to trace my art (like Eva Kiss and others). It's not prettier, I know. But it's way more faster and consistent. Each traced image takes me 4-8hours. If I didn't trace, that time could be between 4 hours to 4 days. Who knows? But I'm not a pro.
My advice? Not much. Show what you have, story wise to the next artist and ask him for feedback. Ask him to write something too. Make your project (singular), your project (plural). See where that gets you.