Unity - Pure Onyx [v0.104.0] [Eromancer]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Nijinda Futatama

Absolutely phenomenal visuals and animations. The H scenes in quality, length, and content are the best in this genre of games. The combat and movement animations and other visual elements of the game are top notch as well. Gameplay is pretty average and content overall is lacking. The enemies aren't half bad, they look great, function pretty well and present a reasonable challenge (mostly). However the mechanics for the player are woefully lacking. Hit detection on the vertical axis is really poor, large enemies are easily clipped through (both beneficial and detrimental at times), animation lock is the big threat to the player, and everything to do with sprinting is poorly responsive (it's difficult to start and stop sprint, really needs a dedicated button/key).

The extremely low ratings for the game are based off of the rate of progress and people's expectations, but I'm not going to rate a game still being worked on by those subjective standards. When the game is finished it's fine to be critical of what wasn't delivered, until then I'm rating it on what it has and most of it is extremely high quality with a moderate amount of content. My previous complaints are ultimately minor.
  2. 1.00 star(s)

Donjoe81

I had never heard of the Developer before and thought one person made it which would’ve been more impressive but doesn´t change the fact that the Game is terrible.

Not only was this game developed by a team but also was in development for 4 Years.
    I think going away from the standard VN or RPG Games and making a
    Beat 'em up game is pretty ballsy, but this just shows what you can do all wrong in a Beat em´up game.

The Controls suck.
    Animations are lame.
    Characters have no voices.
    The Game gets boring really quickly.
    The drawings are ok.

It kinda proves the point of many other reviews that this just feels like another cash grab and it feels like the Devs didn´t even try to make this even acceptable and that's why it doesn´t deserve more than 1/5 imo.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

Homo_Erect_Us

Two balls, two stars. :giggle:

Life is for the living. The dead can only but dream. Anyways. I pirated this gaming software thanks to f95zone.to which is a forum wher-... oh I am on f95zone yes. Sorry.

Doesn't matter how I got my hands on this, okay, so this is a game. This is like belongs to a genre called "Beat 'Em Up". In real life, it's YOU yes YOU gamer who gets beat up but in gaming, you can be the one beating them up. This is good. Yes. There are many good games in this genre.

But who are we kidding? We know very well what ya'll end up doing in these games. Keyboard spam and that is okay. If you can rhythm your fap motion and finger motion on keyboard right you DO have a shot at this.

GRAPHICS: Shit. Some drawing ok. Anime artist. Otaku developer draw some stuff. Looks like he did draw plenty cartoon/anime/hentai/yuri before. Tentacle is there? Not sure. I have only but tasted the latest alpha beta gamma theta.

You gets 1/5.

Gameplay:
    Rape! Okay. So there is lag between inputs, but as long as your input is proper you can get off.

You gets 0.5/5.

Sound:
    There is sound of the world, sound of the fight, music rock n roll cyberpunk, there is sound of literally the universe itself but... sadly no sound of your characters moans, grunts or you know basically no AH aHN~! AHHHH! That is not nice. Probably is sex kuchi kuchi.. splash .. squash.

You gets 0.5/5.

Conclusion:
    As a recently fired game journalist I would give it 2/5. This does not impress me. If this impress you, good. This review is not IGN review. I wasn't paid to review this. You like or you NOT like. Okay? OKAY!? Okay.

Thank you for your time! :BootyTime:
  4. 3.00 star(s)

Deleted member 3024206

Despite this game being in development for almost 4 years, I just found out about it now.

It has amazing art, 2D CGs are really fantastic. Animations flow well, girls are very hot and the sex scenes are great to watch.

Gameplay is interesting, but gets old very quickly. In this regard, it's a very bad beat 'em up. You have few moves possible and you'll probably end up using just 2 of them all the time since most moves are usually useless.

It would be easily a 5-star game if it was a new one. Dev wouldn't have had much time to polish the gameplay and to test new stuff, so it would be quite excusable. However, being almost 4 years old makes no sense.

I'd be excited for further releases but considering how much content we currently have, I'll likely just look at it again in 4 years time.
  5. 2.00 star(s)

Really_GG

Welcome to the 90s, where retro style, music in this genre, the picture will inspire you, and the game will be a lot of fun and you will play it for hours
    NOT ABOUT THIS GAME
    I liked the concept and idea at the beginning of the release, it was interesting what would happen next, and then worse
    Every update makes the game worse
    Combat controls are terrible
    Graphics - good
    PC game optimization is poor
    She lags, although I have a good laptop
    Enemies are typical bots
    Animations - there are interesting animations and moments when enemies grab you
    But the biggest disadvantage of the game is expectation and reality.
    Waiting - wow what a game, download it and it will be fun
    Reality is such shitty control in battle, everything lags, played for 20 minutes and deleted it
    Bottom line: a typical 80-90s style mini-fighting game, there is a beautiful picture but the game optimization is terrible
  6. 2.00 star(s)

TourGuideFromDisney

Simple idea, but an exaggerated development time, incremental small updates, and an unrealistic roadmap makes this project unbearable to support. What started off as Streets of Rage with rape, has now turned into a politically correct H-Game where; every sex act is now strictly consensual... somehow... Never mind they're trying to rearrange your face with knuckles and chains, but the protagonist is completely fine fucking guys trying to kill her.

I get it... but consensual or not, there has not been any valid studies that link "violence" in video games to actual violent behavior, much less sexual. At least leave the original concept/animations in the options menu, instead of bending over backwards towards the politically correct crowd. Do they even pay for H-games in the first place?

So these virtuous saints are so stoic to watch a woman being spit roasted, fucked by animals and insects, but the moment she's being forced to have sex for killing off a few dozen gang-banger and cops... it's suddenly too real?

Not only did the developer spend almost a year undoing every introduction animation before sex (to make it consensual), but the amount of work needed for this simple H-game is completely overblown for what it is. All you need is 3-4 stages, at most 7-10 minutes per stage, a build up of plot for the protagonist/antagonist, and a payoff in the final stage. Instead, it's been the same beta phase for the past year(s), none of the items/equipment/progression system to actually save and carry over, and there's still no actual story/plot. Not even a character bio...

When you actually see what's going on the developer's patreon, you see all this concept art, all these huge levels planned, characters, yet none of them seem like realistic goals for a game of this scope. Unless the developer is purposely holding back another build of the game that's half-way done, there is no way this game will ever be finished at the pace it's been going.

This is an H-game, yet the developers are trying to push this game like a Double Dragon remake.
  7. 2.00 star(s)

CourierNPC

[Review edited on January 26th, 2024]
    Pure Onyx is not recommended at the moment due to its severe repetitiveness and lack of content. It has its challenges, of course, but people should be able to master this game rather quickly.

After a few sessions, I replayed it from the beginning only to collect all the H-scenes since you can ace the game with the cheats provided in the console commands.

For people who want more content, I suggest not playing this game immediately. Pure Onyx has at least one or two animations monthly at best, while the rest is focused on bug fixing and more bug fixing each update drops, and any new enemies or stages implemented in the game may take a couple of months before they can be released as a fully-fledged content for the game. As an estimate, it took Pure Onyx four and a half (roughly) years to implement clothing damage and removable equipment (per January 2023 Update).

One thing that can be praised from this game is that its performance on lower ends (at least with 8GB RAM and 4GB VRAM) is something that I did not expect. It's smooth sailing with a little hiccup here and there and the art made by XXOOM, one of the buff lady BDSM artists out there. The visuals looked nice and the characters are enticing enough, but as far as positive points go? Only these that are... seem reasonable. Clunky controls and a slower pace don't make the game any more fun than it is: A beat 'em up, Cyberpunk-themed game with scene collecting at the forefront.

SFX is pretty minimal, so I don't know if I can even give my thoughts on it.

The art direction is nice, it fits the theme in some simplistic way

Do note that this was advertised as "Beat 'Em Up RPG" and yet after 6+ years in development, none of it was present.

Hours played:
    Totally newbie:
    More or less, 25 minutes from the very beginning (no scenes at all).

Have some scenes already:
    More or less five to ten minutes in the Slums level to get the majority of the scenes you want to see

Rough estimate(s):
    Impatient for content: Maybe 5 years from now?
    Including unmentioned Development Hell: Maybe never?
  8. 3.00 star(s)

pussyaddict0606

Well... Hello!

Great animations. Nice level designs for a side-scroller fighting game. Totally EPIC lewd animations and scenes. A very big potential.

So you just discovered this game, right? Yeah... I was saying all this stuff too when i first discovered this gem.

But let me tell you this;
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Remember kids. Greed is a sin. It makes you a corrupt person. A loser at the end.
  9. 1.00 star(s)

ZeroG187

I started playing this a month ago, I thought this game looks nice and decent and is in early development, and could've give this a 3-4 star rating. However when I heard this game was in development for +4 years, I can see the frustration, disappointment, hatred surrounding this game.

You play as Onyx fighting against crime gangs, corrupt police officers and some other grotesque things that are trying to rape her and survive in the city of Babylon.

The gameplay is like streets of rage, double dragon, and any arcade beat em up games. However the combat mechanics, and everything surrounding it is very messy:
    -Sometimes the hit detection won't connect
    -Enemies won't give you a chance to attack back when you are knocked down
    -Lack of combo moves
    -Hard time attacking the smaller enemies
    -Inventory and equipped items are irrelevant (except healing items)
    -No struggle animation when grabbed (April 2022 version).
    -Lack of progression/skills when picking up items or leveling up.

With all of these things, you can die a lot, or easily exploit the enemy AI by just kicking or running attack moves.

The Hentai scenes contain regular rape, monster sex, some unborn cock vore (Don't look it up, if you dare), insect sex, futaXFemale (Only background) and some lesbian sex (favorite). They are nice and well animated. There is also a gallery to obtain the hentai gallery and they're easily dropped by enemies, which means you don't need to get grappled to see the scenes.

And That's it I told you everything that this game has to offer. There is only 3-ish stages, they all play the same, but also have 10 waves of enemies, "a" Boss fight. No story, your just in the map and start the stage.

+4 years in development for a less than 1 hour game? Is it worth paying $5 (itch.io)? Or Supporting them on Patreon or SubscribeStar?
  10. 1.00 star(s)

Ravs

First time playing this game. I was really impressed with the initial artwork and 15 mins of the game.

I'm amazed that after 15 mins of gameplay that I saw everything this has to offer and it's been in develop for 4+ years. Definitely shameful given the size of the team.

I hope no one decides to back these guys.
  11. 1.00 star(s)

( Y )

Review for the update of the [2022-05-22].

Nothing to say that hasn't already been said both in the rate and in the thread:

+ The only remarkable thing about this game is its animations and its artistic section. Of course, Onyx is a pretty hot girl.

- However, writing all the negative aspects is pointless, so I will just limit myself to mentioning that the developers in question continue to scam their audience, with mediocre updates and little content (content that should have been released months ago, they barely do, among other examples).

I strongly recommend that:
    · Do not pay for this game.
    · See for yourself the scam, there are many evidences about this.
    · Try it, but nothing more.
  12. 2.00 star(s)

Little your dream

The game had an interesting start at the beginning of the release. Retro from the 90s. Olds will remember what female characters were in those days. The atmosphere of the game in the style of the 80-90s.
    As you can see from the bad reviews here. The developer makes too little content per month. Animations 1-2. Enemies 1-2 pieces. But it's not scary. It's a scary combat mechanic. He's terrible. But also the optimization of the game. 25 fps on my good laptop. GTA 5 I have and then 70 fps on average. As in other games of this kind, you have to lose to see all the scenes. There are no goals and no quests. Just go and fight with opponents. Everything
  13. 1.00 star(s)

DKOC

So, why 1 star?

1. The fighting is absolutely terrible. As this is 90% of the game, it is worth noting, the following major issues:
    -> The floor is made up of like 1000 tiny one pixel lines. You have to be precisely on the same line as an enemy, for your attacks to connect. So if they are above or below a line from you, your punches and kicks will miss, despite being in range. However, they are not bound to the same restriction. So they can hit you, but you can't hit them.

-> You cannot sprint in the level, but your enemies can. Dodging is completely pointless, as enemies can interrupt your attacks or dodge, mid-animation, and hit you or grapple you.

-> There is only one way to hit the maggots, a special stomp attack with a very tiny hitbox.

-> Even with god mode active, you can be stunlocked, knocked to the ground, and grabbed to be fucked. And you still suffer all the normal consequences, such as exhaustion if you are fucked.

-> Even with one punch mode active, if you aren't on the same line as the enemy, you cannot hit them.

-> When you are surrounded by enemies, you'll constantly be interrupted, knocked around and you have no Area of Effect attacks.

-> You cannot strip her naked. You can remove her items, but it doesn't affect her appearance. In fact, changing items doesn't affect her appearance either, so its hard to tell when you have the best equipment active or not.

-> Trying to perform mod-attacks is basically impossible, especially when surrounded. It is also a very awkward keypress too.

2. The sex stuff, although very well animated, has no looping controls. You can zoom in a bit though. There is a go forward with a scene, but you cannot loop the current scene or go back a scene and it automatically advances to the next scene after a few seconds. This is also present in the gallery. In fact I found the gallery quite limited in its features, which you also cannot make her nude in the gallery. Unlocking gallery scenes is very random, and you get them by defeating enemies... except the same scene can drop multiple times, so getting the last few scenes is next to impossible.

The other issue with the sex animations is that there are only two cum layers, there is an annoying fade to black at the end of sex, and the transitions between scenes are jarring and jerky.

3. To get stuff, you need to defeat enemies. This is really hard to do, even with god mode and one punch mode active. The stuff dropped by enemies may be better than your own stuff but more often is the same or worse. So it is hard to progress on gear alone. There are no quality tiers or ways to craft gear or ways to improve gear either. There is a salesman, but their prices are extremely high and you get so little money and couldn't figure out if you can even sell your items.

4. There is no mouse controls in the menus. You have to use keyboard to navigate around.

5. I exited the game, and restarted it. It did not keep my progress and had to restart from scratch.

Until these issues get addressed, I'd avoid this one like the plague.
  14. 1.00 star(s)

bloodmane

Do not be fooled by the pretty aesthetics of this game. This is for the awareness of new users that are potentially going to pledge or be hooked by this game.

The game is barely being updated.
    Not much progress on the game content itself.

Gameplay. It has nothing unique to offer.
    - No unique mechanics
    - Only 1 combo string for punch and kick for each
    - Not even item uses outside of medkits
    - No grab attacks from the player.

H Scene. While the animations are nice it has turn into a bad direction making it consensual and a low amount of animations
    + Good animation
    - Bad variety per grouped positions
    - Illogical consensual in a beat em up setting?
    - No voice over in the span of 4 years of development.
    - No gameover
    - Bad 'struggle' transition
    - Only a handful of animation in the span of 4 years of development.

For context.
    This game is getting a rate of .2 new enemies per month and around .3 new animations per month. and that pace is extremely slow for a project that is earning a lot and has claimed that it has a lot of people involved. The developer keeps getting distracted with side projects and side updates that doesn't involve gameplay or H animations, which we only care about. They got distracted with an H animation series instead of focusing on the game itself.

Sure the game has good animations, but at what cost? I am fully aware of the struggles of animating and programming but this is just a blatant milking scheme. For how many years this game is being developed it doesn't even have any Voice Over yet, nor game overs.

The recent change of making it consensual even destroys the logic of the game and further puts the game in a wrong direction.

Tested latest version. April 2022 version.
  15. 3.00 star(s)

fenmer2032

April 22 Patch:

Great Animations, Models, music and overall atmosphere for what's there and love the cyberpunk theme but the actual gameplay is kind of rough.

PC keyboard controls feel clunky during combat and to make things worse if an anyone is literally an inch above or below you all your attacks slide right off them which makes the already clunky fighting feel even worse.

Not being able to use items without going into the menu stops the flow of gameplay and just feels bad, the AI at times just feels like its lost, enemies will try to go around you to flank but most of the time will just get stuck above you where neither of you can hit each other, and getting animation locked because you got released from a grab into 4 enemies swinging at you just feels bad not gonna lie.

Great concept everything but the actual gameplay is great, sex animations 10/10.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

Juicetown

The art and animations are truly next level. The gameplay on the other hand leaves something to be desired. 5/5 because I believe if they can maintain the animation quality and wrap a good game around it this game will be something else!
  17. 1.00 star(s)

Tsuyoi

Absolutely abysmal updates while raking in tons of cash, constantly generates hype around a project, drags it out and takes a ton of money, then puts it on hold and starts a new project, rinse repeat.
  18. 1.00 star(s)

OrangePeel

Game itself is a 3 star quality game; graphics and animations are nice, but there's no real progression, items don't affect appearance, and you experience all the content in about 30 minutes with insane amounts of repetition.

The 1 star overall rating is to penalize the scummy behavior of the authors (lower overall score hopefully will lead to fewer people supporting them on patreon), which is purportedly a 12 person team, but push out content slower than solo devs. The updates they do post on patreon mainly say "oh we're working on this", or "oh we're redoing parts of the engine because", likely just to satisfy patreon's requirement for updates to keep farming subscriptions. I don't know what went wrong, but I was following their previous game, Malise of the Machine, and thought they were a talented studio with lots of potential. Maybe they focused too much on graphics overhauls and the engine, which hasthe drawback that the more fancy you make it, the more effort there is to make content for it. Content updates dried up pretty quickly and they abandoned the game with the verdict that it was a tool learning experience.

I'm honestly surprised they still earn 10k+ on patreon given how consistent their lack of content updates have been. Are people that starved for 3D graphics porn with almost no content? What about just playing Skyrim with mods?
  19. 5.00 star(s)

reilynn

Best beat-em up H game I've seen. The animations are simply unreal. Not sure how this has 3.5 stars there's really nothing like this out there even remotely. Plays pretty smooth to for an unfished game. Lots of complex sex scenes and punching to nejoy.
  20. 4.00 star(s)

daniromaniro

This is a review for the November 2021 update.

UNDERBOOB IS BEST BOOB 'M JUST SAYIN'

Gameplay
    - still at a "proof of concept" level. There's still only the Test Mission level and UI is clumsy, particularly when it comes to using items mid-battle. Pleeeeease devs, just implement item shortcuts, we don't hafta live with pausing the game, going to the item menu, and choosing what healing item we want whenever we wanna heal.
    But I digress.
    Boxing with punks and sometimes insects functions alright, you can tell Onyx to punch the fuck outta someone, or kick their balls. You can do one or two combos, but that's it. It lacks variety in both enemies and actions you can do, and the bosses are just jabbing fodder. At the very least, the feedback of each action feels pretty good, they have a good punchy sound effect, and the animations for 'em are well-made. Speaking of which–

Animations - I'll skip over the "normal" animations cuz though they are good, really, that's not what you're really interested in looking at. Yeah that's right, it's the s e x. Yeah well, you betcha they're good. Like, really good. They even have appropriate facial expressions, so you don't have to worry about the girl looking dead af as they're being plowed!
    Don't really get why we can only unlock an animation via dropped items though. Why can't we just unlock the respective animations whenever the character gets assaulted? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sound - This is also really young. The necessary sounds are all here, but background music is repetitive, and there's no voice acting at all. I'm not expecting voice acted dialogues, just the moans, but alas.

Lastly, lemme just talk about the graphics real quick.
    Hey, they nailed that 80s cyberpunk aesthetic they're going for so far!
    And the UI may be clumsy, but at least the menu looks stylish as fuck.

Honestly, what really saves this package-in-progress is the really good animations. Yeah they're that good. So then you might say, this is just another glorified gallery, right?
    To an extent, I suppose. If you don't care for the immature beat-em-up gameplay, it totally is just a gallery. But personally, I had fun with punching jacked up dudes and sexy female cops. I feel that with enough updates, slight improvements in the gameplay design and a bit more to the customization, this could become a competent beat-em-up for its calibre.

Still, I can say that people are definitely justified in feeling like this game is another one that would be stuck in development limbo. It seems that the devs started working on this in 2018, now 3 years later, closing in on 4, there's still only a meager amount of work done. The animations I praised, particularly the H-scenes, they're still really few. I understand that animating these things take time, and I highly doubt Eromancer has a robust team in them, so I'm still more than willing to give the lack of variety a pass.

Is this worth the 5 bucks you'd spend on their Patreon? Just for the animations alone, yeah! In the first place, animations this good are worth tons more in other places. Eromancer is just giving us a game along with 'em.