Tutorial RPGM Putting RPG Maker Games Into Debug/Test Mode

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
Check for one of thous files:
RGSS10XY.dll == XP
RGSS20XY.dll == VX
RGSS30X.dll == VXAce
where X is a sub-version number and Y can be E or J depending on it being English or Japanese version of the engine.

Reactions: SmurfyBlue

Elijah Hu

Feb 8, 2018
You can manually put your RPGMaker games into debug/test mode by following these instructions.
What this does is allow you to open the in-game F9 debug menu where you can edit switches and variables without having to download an extra save editor or anything like that.

MASSIVE WARNING!: Messing with switches/variables without knowing what you're doing can and will mess up your save/game. Yes, you can just revert it by opening the menu again but that doesn't always fix it.
You have been warned!

This is done by making a shortcut to your Game.exe and adding the "test" parameter as a launch command (I believe that's what they're called?).
Right click the shortcut and go to properties and then in the target box you should have something like this:

(I'm using my Urban Demons Folder as an example)
Code:
"D:\Downloads\Urban Demons 0.7.6\Game.exe"
So basically it is
Code:
"P:\ath\to\your\Game.exe"
And then you add the word "test" at the end so it becomes
Code:
"D:\Downloads\Urban Demons 0.7.6\Game.exe" test

or

"P:\ath\to\your\Game.exe" test
YES the test is outside the "".
That's how it works!

For RPGMaker VX and VXAce you use the word "test".
For RPGMaker XP you use the word "debug" instead of "test".

If you've done that and run the game through this newly created shortcut then pressing F9 while in-game will open the debug screen.
But The Debug Mode Does Not Work on Some Games, Because it is not Registered Version.

SmurfyBlue

Ex Patch Maker
Aug 6, 2016
But The Debug Mode Does Not Work on Some Games, Because it is not Registered Version.
Registered Version? You're gonna need to be a bit more specific Elijah, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Nor do I understand the relevance of linking me to a specific page but not a specific post. And the words test, debug and cheat don't even appear on the page you linked...

crraved

Nov 1, 2017
After searching around for a little bit, I found the solution to fix the "Failed to load script" error.
Just head over to or any other RPG Maker Decrypter and decrypt the game. You should be able to get into debug mode without problems afterwards

Feb 21, 2018
UPDATE
someone figured out how to do it with MV games!
https://f95zone.to/threads/enable-rpg-maker-mv-debug-test-mode.52388/
-
Go to your game directory, find the file "package.json"
open it with a text editor.
Find "main": "www/index.html",
change it to
"main": "www/index.html?test",
save it and start the game.
Try F8-F12 for effects (CTRL for walk through stuff)
-
-
If the above does not work for a specific game
use nwjs-sdk

copy to game directory
run nw.exe to play game, press f12

Last edited:
Reactions: SmurfyBlue

ZinxUwU

Oct 2, 2020
Oh, it's VERY possible you need an unpackaged/extracted game. I always download unpackaged games or extract them myself so I never even thought about that being a possible problem!
i know this is old but im hoping you will respond cause when i tried this i got an error saying

*Error - 2023-11-19 23:33:16 (Sunday)
Exception : SecurityHazard
Insecure - debug flag can't be change.
trace:
["( ★WF-RGSS Scripts★共通 ):120:in `check'", "( ★WF-RGSS Scripts★共通 ):306:in `update'", "( ももまる:ウィンドウサイズ ):75:in `update'", "( Scene_Base ):47:in `update_basic'", "( A1共通スクリプト ):694:in `update_basic'", "( Scene_Base ):41:in `update'", "( Syran:polyglot_Amend ):85:in `update'", "( Scene_Base ):14:in `main'", "( MOG:Weather_EX ):853:in `main'", "( SceneManager ):22:in `run'", "( ★WF-RGSS Scripts★共通実行 ):62:in `block in <main>'", ":1:in `block in rgss_main'", ":1:in `loop'", ":1:in `rgss_main'", "( ★WF-RGSS Scripts★共通実行 ):62:in `<main>'", "ruby:in `eval'"]

how do i fix this?