HTML Question regarding HTML Game Development

dignity

May 28, 2017
I've recently gained an interest in developing games with HTML, but through the various games I have played, most seem to have the same aesthetic, in regards to the design of the UI.
That means, game settings and save buttons are off to the right with a readily scripted save system that is prevalent in EVERY game (aside from sometimes being differently designed).

Examples include My Oblivious Milf, The Company, Hentai University, Become Someone, and Degrees of Lewdity.

Now, I am a newbie in both HTML and CSS, and my question is, have these games used some sort of template, or were they designed through the inspiration of one another?
If so, is there any documentation available for it?

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Most use Twine with SugarCube story format.

AnterosKage

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2023
I have started to do this myself and can agree with the above though I have found some information not accurate and others missing completely, I am happy to help with what I can and would appreciate any help in return on my game I am working on!

s1im

Jun 26, 2018
The SugarCube site doesn't use HTTPS, so my browser initially blocked access.

HTTP (vs. HTTPS) means that if someone is monitoring your connection, they can see any data you send or receive during your session.

The site does not ask for any personal info or payment, so I don't see any problem with the site not being secure. If they did require a password or a bunch of personal data to access the site, or if you had to pay a fee for anything, then it would be a hard 'NO'. You do have the option of getting the SugarCube source code directly from GITHUB (a secure site), and compiling it yourself if you have heartburn with your browser going to an unsecured site.

Just an FYI for anyone concerned about it.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
The SugarCube site doesn't use HTTPS, so my browser initially blocked access.

HTTP (vs. HTTPS) means that if someone is monitoring your connection, they can see any data you send or receive during your session.

The site does not ask for any personal info or payment, so I don't see any problem with the site not being secure. If they did require a password or a bunch of personal data to access the site, or if you had to pay a fee for anything, then it would be a hard 'NO'. You do have the option of getting the SugarCube source code directly from GITHUB (a secure site), and compiling it yourself if you have heartburn with your browser going to an unsecured site.

Just an FYI for anyone concerned about it.
It's not about lack of support for https (look at the link I provided further up to see the https://). It's about their certificate expiring today. Will be fixed as soon as they renew their certificate.