JackMiejov

May 20, 2021
I'm curious about the release cadence with VN games. I started playing them last year after being bored and stuck at home during the pandemic, so I'm somewhat new, but I've played several dozen. I've been a software engineer for almost 30 years and I've worked on the engines of a few AAA titles. I know some games take several years to release, but they also go through re-planning when technology advances beyond the original plan, which tends to happen when the game takes more (or trends to more) than about 4 years to develop. I see literally ALL of the high-quality adult VNs releasing updates over 10 times during development, and many of them exceeding 20. How can an 8-month release cadence ever work? That would mean 6 to 12+ YEARS to finish a game, which is guaranteed obsolescence.

Sorry if this is a weird post, I was doing some personal research on release cadence of the "high-quality" VNs and Radiant was the longest by far. I'm baffled that developers don't see the money they're leaving on the table, and I find it difficult to believe they're doing it simply for the enjoyment. I'm surprised any developer plans for a release cadence longer than ~2 months and I'm surprised patrons/subscribers put up with a cadence of over ~4 months. I'd love to see data on the patron/subscriber turnover for VNs with various release cadences to see if I'm correct.

Alphahelix42

Oct 8, 2020
What are your specs ? But yeah don't go into making a VN if it takes you 18h to render a single image.

But these devs are not newbies, they were already making VN before this one, and with the amount of support they got they can buy top rig, shortage or not (you can buy 3090 from scalpers even though they're twice more expensive)
Sorry I couldn't get back earlier, had a full day today. To answer your question, here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Radeon 9 3900X
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
Primary Drive: 1TB M.2 SSD (Gen3)
Dedicated 3d Application and Resource Drive: 1TB M.2 SSD (Gen3)

I know what the limiting factor in my system is, it's the GPU. I am and have been very well aware of this fact, but when my 2080 died, this was literally the only one that I could find anywhere near retail, and it was pure luck that I found it back in December. Now that prices are coming down, I do intend, eventually, to grab a 3080 or 3080 Ti, as I only buy PC components from reputable and known dealers, not random people charging 2.5x or more retail and not being guaranteed to even get what I paid for, as has happened to several people I know.

In case anyone is wondering, if I just load a single figure into a scene, and put a non d-force hair on, no clothing, then it'll run the render on the GPU, but only the first render, after that, the VRAM isn't fully cleared, and every subsequent render fills up the VRAM, forcing it to slide over to a CPU render, which takes for freaking ever. It seems that Daz Studio uses a minimum of right at 4GB of VRAM when using iRay, and doesn't clear everything after the render is finished. I've done everything that I can think to do, and everything that I have read to do to help alleviate the problem, but none of it works. This, is why it takes so long for me to render any kind of actual scene, it's using CPU render instead of GPU render.

Also, to answer the question about the image size, it was 2560x1440, as my friend wanted it for a native res background.

KingWeWuz

Mar 8, 2019
It's been over a year since Polarity was updated. If by 'works on' you mean he periodically posts on Patreon, then yeah, I guess he works on it.
I hate to simp, but look, this is what he said about 20 or so days ago:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

He's a little late on Radiant but it's out for testing and his high tier patrons. it is coming soon.

He's going to release a 2 chapter polarity if I recall correctly, so we can safely assume 200% the normal update content.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Here it is ... into the update req+ forum 4 everyone to +1 and chatter:
https://f95zone.to/threads/radiant-v0-3-0a-rk-studios.87451/
I think its time it gets leaked here. Let's see who does and how soon?
Who can create a post under https://f95zone.to/forums/game-requests.3/ for this?

I cannot.

He's a little late on Radiant but it's out for testing and his high tier patrons. it is coming soon.

He's going to release a 2 chapter polarity if I recall correctly, so we can safely assume 200% the normal update content.

Reactions: _Goldie

d_pedestrian

Engaged Member
Jul 18, 2020

Let's say i am a developer who develops 2 games but from 2 different patreon accounts. Will this be fair to my subscribers if i am not updating a game for 7 months because I'm working on an another one? That's what happening here.

I don't think it's fair to radiant's subscribers to wait for 7 months because the developer is working on an another game.

KingWeWuz

Mar 8, 2019
Let's say i am a developer who develops 2 games but from 2 different patreon accounts. Will this be fair to my subscribers if i am not updating a game for 7 months because I'm working on an another one? That's what happening here.

I don't think it's fair to radiant's subscribers to wait for 7 months because the developer is working on an another game.
He never promised he would quit working on one game or the other. He promised he would quit his own job and work full time on what his patreon is funding.

Regarding the lateness; all funds given to him are agreed upon by the users. He's not forcing anyone to pay for what he's doing, it's a willing thing. If he were secretly doing both games and was caught I'd understand, but that's not the case. He's being open and honest about what people are supporting, and that seems fair all things considered.

Ciccio92

Jul 13, 2020
Sorry I couldn't get back earlier, had a full day today. To answer your question, here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Radeon 9 3900X
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
Primary Drive: 1TB M.2 SSD (Gen3)
Dedicated 3d Application and Resource Drive: 1TB M.2 SSD (Gen3)

I know what the limiting factor in my system is, it's the GPU. I am and have been very well aware of this fact, but when my 2080 died, this was literally the only one that I could find anywhere near retail, and it was pure luck that I found it back in December. Now that prices are coming down, I do intend, eventually, to grab a 3080 or 3080 Ti, as I only buy PC components from reputable and known dealers, not random people charging 2.5x or more retail and not being guaranteed to even get what I paid for, as has happened to several people I know.

In case anyone is wondering, if I just load a single figure into a scene, and put a non d-force hair on, no clothing, then it'll run the render on the GPU, but only the first render, after that, the VRAM isn't fully cleared, and every subsequent render fills up the VRAM, forcing it to slide over to a CPU render, which takes for freaking ever. It seems that Daz Studio uses a minimum of right at 4GB of VRAM when using iRay, and doesn't clear everything after the render is finished. I've done everything that I can think to do, and everything that I have read to do to help alleviate the problem, but none of it works. This, is why it takes so long for me to render any kind of actual scene, it's using CPU render instead of GPU render.

Also, to answer the question about the image size, it was 2560x1440, as my friend wanted it for a native res background.
it's pretty strange that a gpu dies out from nowhere, which is your power supply? 99% is the power supply that gives bad current with wrong tension and high ripples

Alphahelix42

Oct 8, 2020
it's pretty strange that a gpu dies out from nowhere, which is your power supply? 99% is the power supply that gives bad current with wrong tension and high ripples
Not the power supply, I'm running a Corsair RM850. My machine was built new in November of 2020 with the only part being re-used being the GPU. I know they don't generally just die, but it can happen. Power supply is fully modular and I'm using the cables that came with it and not aftermarket cables, also of note, I had a separate cable for each 8 pin plug, not two plugs from the same cable. Tried the card in a different machine, no joy, so far, no problems with the new GPU, and no power problems for the rest of the system.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019

It is fair if you tell people what is going on to make an informed decision. If you know that a dev will not be full time on a game, subscribe and then demand he drops his other stuff, that'd be unfair.

Ciccio92

Jul 13, 2020
Not the power supply, I'm running a Corsair RM850. My machine was built new in November of 2020 with the only part being re-used being the GPU. I know they don't generally just die, but it can happen. Power supply is fully modular and I'm using the cables that came with it and not aftermarket cables, also of note, I had a separate cable for each 8 pin plug, not two plugs from the same cable. Tried the card in a different machine, no joy, so far, no problems with the new GPU, and no power problems for the rest of the system.
corsair rm has problem tension with a not so much high temperature if is not the last version that solved in part that problem, the corsair rm series is not so good, the rm x version is very very good. never reason with brand for Psu. note that if you have a UPS that doesn't have a pure sine wave tha Psu give you bad tensions to the pc

Backdoorman

May 19, 2018
100$ and 70$ for an update on a game that barely updates? Damn these guys are killing it. I am almost tempted to buy it, to leak it here just out of spite.
Sorry, can you tell me is 0.2.1 the original game? 1st release? I've only played the first but wnt new updates.Ate there any?

RandoCard3

Mar 17, 2019
I’am patron (5$) and i have shit :D :D
From the news update in the Discord:
"Chapter 3 Early-Alpha is live for Platinum-tier Patrons and Pearl SubscribeStars.

This is an early test build. We will release the official build (v0.3) to Gold Patrons and Bronze SubscribeStars soon, and then finally to $5+ subscribers shortly after that. Android port should be ready later today."

Anthony2

Jan 7, 2019
There's more variables as well. One dev on here pushes it with many, many (background) characters in a scene which slows down the process considerably. Of course that's not really the case here.

So why don't you take some of your money and give it to devs deserving of it for regular, high quality, content heavy updates and good communication?

Yes, it is astonishing how many people keep subscribing, either because they forgot, or because of sunk cost fallacy. Or because they really like the game and its difference from other games. I could be one of those forgetting myself. And I would not subscribe here, nor can I imagine a scenario where I would sub for the equivalent of more than a trible A game per month.

However, what I find deeply disrespectful is telling other adult people what they have to do with their money they worked for. You want a sports car? Well, I wouldn't, but your money, go, do your thing. A cruise in the caribbean? Sounds boring to me, but so does your job, you earned your vacation. Daily visit to restaurants to not have to cook? Now, that I could get behind. But it is their money from their work and thus it is their call what to do with it, not yours or mine. If you think otherwise, please post your monthly expenses and I will comment on what I think of it.
i do id like to complain too is that okay. why do u defend these devs?

4.30 star(s) 271 Votes