Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

Mar 30, 2019
You'll need to be more specific as to what the actual "irregularities" and "questionable content" you're referring to are (otherwise, your response just comes off pretty ambiguous/unclear).

Granted, not saying OAL Part 1 was flawless (then again, no game ever is), but not like I or people who actually played and enjoyed it had issues with it to consider it questionable.
It's been a long time, i had no intention of finishing the game once i encountered something which caught me off guard... I'll just let it go. And looks like people who didn't like it were the ones capable of pledging because those who liked couldn't come forward to support him.

Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
Except that one had few irregularities and some questionable content.

This is spot on to the core. He was totally bewildered. The success took him by surprise which he wasn't prepared for beforehand, second release highlights that.
That's what I thought at first, but I think that's what he was after. Polarity had some success, not much, but enough. Why try to develop two games at once if you are struggling with one and you have moderate success? The simplest explanation I can find is that he was after that initial big success.

Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

Mar 30, 2019
That's what I thought at first, but I think that's what he was after. Polarity had some success, not much, but enough. Why try to develop two games at once if you are struggling with one and you have moderate success? The simplest explanation I can find is that he was after that initial big success.
The simplest explanation I can find is that he was after that initial big success => and didn't know how to capitalise on after that initial success is what i call getting perplexed.

JohnnyFlex

Jan 24, 2018
Probably did not expect the game to "take off" and are scrambling to plot/create the game.
As posted previously, there is a BIG change in the feel of the game from its initial offering to what it is now.
It went from "feels" to an absolute generic, even childish teenage fantasy. Add to the fact the dev is willing to write out certain characters because of audience dislike shows this game have not been fully planned and story boarded out.
Maybe it's just me, but who starts a story driven project without knowing the endpoint? That doesn't seem smart to me.

Lotex

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but who starts a story driven project without knowing the endpoint? That doesn't seem smart to me.
I'd say it depends on how you build the story. If you want to create one story with maybe a few side scenarios it's a must have to know it from start to finish, but if you want to just go along with many smaller scenes it's not exactly necessary.

Since this game seemed pretty story-driven I'd say it's the former.

Notshauna

Jul 13, 2017
It's not unheard of for success to lead to feature creep, but given the whole game seems incredibly ambitious from moment one I don't think that's it. It kind of just strikes me that they haven't truly considered how large the complexity of their goals are given that they intend to have a lot of different story paths available.

Going a year without an update means next one needs to be pretty special and I wonder if that's weighing on them too. Either way if the update is good and substantial no one is going to remember or care about how long it took to come out, but if it's not both of those things they won't hear the end of it.

JohnnyFlex

Jan 24, 2018
It's not unheard of for success to lead to feature creep, but given the whole game seems incredibly ambitious from moment one I don't think that's it. It kind of just strikes me that they haven't truly considered how large the complexity of their goals are given that they intend to have a lot of different story paths available.

Going a year without an update means next one needs to be pretty special and I wonder if that's weighing on them too. Either way if the update is good and substantial no one is going to remember or care about how long it took to come out, but if it's not both of those things they won't hear the end of it.
As long as the update is good, and actually has a decent amount of playtime, I won't have an issue with it having taken so long to come out. I just hope they don't make a habit out of dropping updates once every 12 months.

Cynicaladm

Oct 21, 2020
You would think that but there are so many devs that are plain stupid...
It's not that uncommon actually, for a story to change and evolve as the project grows.

Adding new characters, writing situations that suddenly present new development opportunities that you had not accounted for initially, broadening the scope of the narrative... many tales morph and grow during the production phase.. few authors can say that the books they write follow a preordained plotline to the letter. unless it's a whodunnit where the solution of the plot must find the foundations in the beginning stages of the book which constrains the liberty of the author, a lot of people write and find quirks and twists and turns to characters and events as they familiarize themselves with them and get more and more into the mindset of each character.
this is really not a rare situation and I expect the same is true for many a game developer when the game is fundamentally driven by the narrative.

not that this means all devs are good and have a good plan or plot in mind, or that some devs might not lose their way as the project goes along, but it is not necessarily a sign of stupidity for a dev to conceive and develop the plot of his game in freeform.

Reactions: PHIL101-YYouPPHard

CHAD-MAN

Aug 12, 2017
If you guys wondering if the dev (well, at least Dammed) is alive... well, he is, but he rathers have senseless discussions with one of the most salty testers in the AVN scene, on the Chasing Sunsets thread, about virgins and *sloopy seconds* and whatnot, rather than hurrying the f up and release this way overdo new chapter, so chances are he actually takes a look at this thread too.

Priorities, I guess.

D9074

Feb 21, 2021

for me it dont even need to be that special, the only thing that annoys me on a big break between updates is fuck all content. like AWAM when that took so long to update and considering the updates before it was so small it just made me never want to play it again. it was about 10-15 mins of content. when devs do that after such a long break multiple times is when i just lose all interest and wont even give them another chance.

Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

Mar 30, 2019
If you guys wondering if the dev (well, at least Dammed) is alive... well, he is, but he rathers have senseless discussions with one of the most salty testers in the AVN scene, on the Chasing Sunsets thread, about virgins and *sloopy seconds* and whatnot, rather than hurrying the f up and release this way overdo new chapter, so chances are he actually takes a look at this thread too.

Priorities, I guess.
Well I'm intrigued now i need some contexts
Virgin? Sloppy seconds?

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
I'm more shocked to see someone else there, what the hell is naughty captain doing there from summer scent? He's not so subtle there! Worrying signs
I play Chasing Sunsets, and Stoya and Kentyrr are friends of mine. That should be enough reasons for me to lurk on Chasing Sunsets' thread.

And I was very subtle. I always am.
:sneaky:

• Wow
Reactions: Melkai
4.30 star(s) 271 Votes