Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
Actually I just played through the update and she still texted me even after I said "fuck no". Is this a bug?
I think that's intended which is just terrible. I didn't want anything to do with date buttinsky either. It reminded me way too much of the ass-backwards dating system in The Sims 4. It was like this in 0.4 as well.
Overall, she's just desperate to be treated like a normal person, which the MC is reluctantly going to do before it devolves into a fuckfest.
But that's sort of at odds with her attempt to insert herself into the MC's date with Brooke.
It's an example of the illusion of choice problem that faces a lot of VNs.

Reactions: SubtleHustle

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
HOLY FUCK! How are people still supporting this scam!?

This wouldn't be so egregious if they didn't milk patrons for like 8 months for this poor excuse of an update.
Milking Patreons for 8 months?

The update was out in far less than 8 months.

If you don't like the value of what you received, stop paying them $ and find a creator you'd prefer to support.

As a supporter, I'm happy that they are improving their update time and their communication with their supporters.

Cheers!

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
Milking Patreons for 8 months?

The update was out in far less than 8 months.

If you don't like the value of what you received, stop paying them $ and find a creator you'd prefer to support.

As a supporter, I'm happy that they are improving their update time and their communication with their supporters.

Cheers!
So let's see. Ocean makes Summer is gone and Where it all began on his own AFAIK. He's also one who's been accused of milking. His games were launched more or less 4 years ago (one end of 2018, another first quarter of 2019). But In that time, WIAB had the initial release that went to 0.6 which had 6194 renders. It then got reworked and the rework has 2354 renders. Then there is Summer is gone which has 9300 renders so far. So in 4 years Ocean rendered 17748 renders while also doing the writing. And that's him working alone and creating custom sets in some cases. Meanwhile in 3 years the Radiant team managed to render just 2401 renders. So like almost 9 times fewer renders. The game may be good but the excuse that they're somehow stretched thin doesn't fly. Whether someone pays for the game or not is irrelevant, facts are facts. This is milkinog the highest degree.

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
So let's see. Ocean makes Summer is gone and Where it all began on his own AFAIK. He's also one who's been accused of milking. His games were launched more or less 4 years ago (one end of 2018, another first quarter of 2019). But In that time, WIAB had the initial release that went to 0.6 which had 6194 renders. It then got reworked and the rework has 2354 renders. Then there is Summer is gone which has 9300 renders so far. So in 4 years Ocean rendered 17748 renders while also doing the writing. And that's him working alone and creating custom sets in some cases. Meanwhile in 3 years the Radiant team managed to render just 2401 renders. So like almost 9 times fewer renders. The game may be good but the excuse that they're somehow stretched thin doesn't fly. Whether someone pays for the game or not is irrelevant, facts are facts. This is milkinog the highest degree.
I'm happy to support both Summers Gone and Radiant.

I actually do it with $, not claiming that my download of someone else's creation helps to pay their electricity, hardware costs, software and music licensing for example.

I know you are shocked to hear this, but people accuse Ocean of milking too - if you don't believe me, check out his thread because he did a new SG release yesterday.

It's just more of the entitled ones who take something for free and then complain about it, regardless of how good the creator is.

Imagine a hobo who dumpster dives for food behind a restaurant all the while complaining because they did not give him wine with his meal.

The hobo is, in fact, lucky to have gotten anything from the restaurant at all, let alone being thanked for taking a piss on their back steps.

Cheers to Radiant that has supporters who see past the hobo attacks and continue to support a creation that they enjoy.

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
I'm happy to support both Summers Gone and Radiant.

I actually do it with $, not claiming that my download of someone else's creation helps to pay their electricity, hardware costs, software and music licensing for example.

I know you are shocked to hear this, but people accuse Ocean of milking too - if you don't believe me, check out his thread because he did a new SG release yesterday.

It's just more of the entitled ones who take something for free and then complain about it, regardless of how good the creator is.

Imagine a hobo who dumpster dives for food behind a restaurant all the while complaining because they did not give him wine with his meal.

The hobo is, in fact, lucky to have gotten anything from the restaurant at all, let alone being thanked for taking a piss on their back steps.

Cheers to Radiant that has supporters who see past the hobo attacks and continue to support a creation that they enjoy.
It might shock you to read this, but I mentioned in my post that he gets accused of milking too. But clearly in your rush to be Captain Save a Hoe you didn't read very carefully. And the reason I posted the comparison in terms of the volume of renders done is precisely to show the difference between someone who does a lot of work and someone who just bilks people. I've seen people who pause billing on Patreon if they are unable to deliver for a while. Doubtful this has happened here. Also like I said, whether someone is paying or not is irrelevant. If it quacks like a duck...

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
Also like I said, whether someone is paying or not is irrelevant.
It's completely relevant. There are many games that have long time spans between releases and, as long as this is understood by a project's patrons, then by definition 'bilking', 'milking' etc isn't taking place. It's when someone takes, or actively solicits, patronage based on performance claims ("I'll deliver X amount of content with Y girls on Z date") and then repeated doesn't honor that commitment that we get into fraud territory.

People that aren't supporting a project don't really have any standing and their claims of 'milking' ring a little hollow.

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
It's completely relevant. There are many games that have long time spans between releases and, as long as this is understood by a project's patrons, then by definition 'bilking', 'milking' etc isn't taking place. It's when someone takes, or actively solicits, patronage based on performance claims ("I'll deliver X amount of content with Y girls on Z date") and then repeated doesn't honor that commitment that we get into fraud territory.

People that aren't supporting a project don't really have any standing and their claims of 'milking' ring a little hollow.
So what would your definition of milking be then? Or I suppose it doesn't exist? I guess the saying "there is a sucker born every minute" applies.

• Haha
Reactions: Ashrand and Grelk

Dogorti

Jan 23, 2021
So what would your definition of milking be then? Or I suppose it doesn't exist? I guess the saying "there is a sucker born every minute" applies.
milking is just exploiting a game beyond its useful life, that is, extending things in a useless way just to get the most out of it, an example would be that game called "my pleasure" or dmd, but missing deadlines is usually not milking at least for me, it just means that the dev is irresponsible or has no idea what to do with his own game. At least that's what I think

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
Great question.

Milking has historically meant using the rules and procedures meant to protect a system to, instead, manipulate the system for a desired outcome. If we focus on developers that actively solicit donations, milking would be:

- Promising a certain type and quantity of content by a particular date and repeatedly not delivering on those promises
- Continuing to accept this transactional, conditional patronage despite not delivering
- Playing on the innate goodwill of people to extend this situation as long as possible

Developers that make it clear that patronage is 'tipping', and will not let it affect their plans, are not 'milking' anyone.

And a person not supporting a project is not being 'milked' because they didn't pay for anything in the first place. Griping that someone is 'milking' without contributing, or making a good case, is like someone that complains to the newspaper company that their neighbor's newspaper wasn't delivered on time.

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
milking is just exploiting a game beyond its useful life, that is, extending things in a useless way just to get the most out of it, an example would be that game called "my pleasure" or dmd, but missing deadlines is usually not milking at least for me, it just means that the dev is irresponsible or has no idea what to do with his own game. At least that's what I think
That's another definition and agree completely with the idea that a concept can be run into the ground by 'milking'. What most people here seem to mean is when someone takes 'too long' to deliver content, often regardless of what the actual facts are.

Last edited:

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
An excellent definition : See WVM, and the wagon train of excuses that BrainDrop has given over the past year or two. I'm sure we'll see that Milfy City update any day now, too.

There are, without question, sone definite milkers out there. This one doesn't feel like it, but it is a slow development cycle. I have ni idea where their bottleneck is. Could be hardware limitations, could be family or work obligations.

I certainly wish they were faster, I really like the way Maddie looks, and more Vanessa gets my approval.

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
That's another definition and agree completely with the idea that a concept can be run into the ground by 'milking'. What most people here seem to mean is when someone takes 'too long' to deliver content, often regardless of what the actual facts are.
Yeah OK, so 3 renders per day on average over 3 years is totally not taking people for fools. I mean denial is not just a river in Egypt. And they are still asking for MORE money. Stay salty. And keep paying. :D
" And a person not supporting a project is not being 'milked' because they didn't pay for anything in the first place. " I never said I was. I said the ones paying are.
"
Promising a certain type and quantity of content by a particular date and repeatedly not delivering on those promises
- Continuing to accept this transactional, conditional patronage despite not delivering
- Playing on the innate goodwill of people to extend this situation as long as possible "
Sounds like exactly what these guys are doing. :D

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
An excellent definition : See WVM, and the wagon train of excuses that BrainDrop has given over the past year or two. I'm sure we'll see that Milfy City update any day now, too.

There are, without question, sone definite milkers out there. This one doesn't feel like it, but it is a slow development cycle. I have ni idea where their bottleneck is. Could be hardware limitations, could be family or work obligations.

I certainly wish they were faster, I really like the way Maddie looks, and more Vanessa gets my approval.
How could I possibly know what WVM is? :) Sure I like the way the characters look, and the writing is OK but when you're taking in 6,000 a month you have no excuse. I mentioned above how Ocean works on 2 games and he delivered a damn lot more. Oh, and Ocean I seem to recall he was working a job too. Maybe even two, but don't quote me on that.

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
Yeah OK, so 3 renders per day on average over 3 years is totally not taking people for fools. I mean denial is not just a river in Egypt. And they are still asking for MORE money. Stay salty. And keep paying. :D
" And a person not supporting a project is not being 'milked' because they didn't pay for anything in the first place. " I never said I was. I said the ones paying are.
"
Promising a certain type and quantity of content by a particular date and repeatedly not delivering on those promises
- Playing on the innate goodwill of people to extend this situation as long as possible "
Sounds like exactly what these guys are doing. :D
There are a lot of games where the developer has a regular job and does game creation as a hobby, and they're not going to crank out 50 renders a day. This is fine as long as everyone knows that going in, because a lot of us don't care when the updates come out.

Denial is refusing to accept reality, but your read on this doesn't reflect what most of us think and care about.

Reactions: SD3 and RaBuddy

iamownzor

Jan 22, 2019
I feel like there's a little truth to both sides here.

a) if a dev is honest about what they're doing, and people keep giving them money, that's entirely on the people giving them money.

b) if a dev is honest about what they're doing, but is dishonest with their motives, and is going slowly for the purpose of keeping a steady monthly income as long as people are hoping for a new release, that's on the dev.

Is it A or B here? I don't have the answer. Just positing.

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
In the end, I've never been good with others telling me what to do with my $.

I choose who to support and when, much the same way I choose the car I want to buy and when.

I like Radiant and the story being told, so I will support it regardless of how many other people come to F95 and tell me what a bad idea that is.

I'll also offer what I call pro/con/pro feedback.

This means that I acknowledge the good and the bad in the creators I support.

Radiant received a decent update about 6 months after the last rev, and the dev's listened to their supporters and worked to give us improved communication.

Was the communication perfect - No.

Did the update give me as much triplet content as I wanted - No!

But there was enough content and improvement for me to continue to support them with $.

The constant accusations of milking are Silly and childish - and the self-appointed guardians of other people's $ are so often people who just come here to take something for free, then whine about it and complain when anyone else dissents.

At a certain point in time, once I know that the recording is broken and there is nothing for me to learn from a particular complainer, I just hit ignore and the noise level drops appreciably.

To those who are here to enjoy Radiant, Cheers!

armond

Apr 26, 2020
I feel like there's a little truth to both sides here.

a) if a dev is honest about what they're doing, and people keep giving them money, that's entirely on the people giving them money.

b) if a dev is honest about what they're doing, but is dishonest with their motives, and is going slowly for the purpose of keeping a steady monthly income as long as people are hoping for a new release, that's on the dev.

Is it A or B here? I don't have the answer. Just positing.
I'm tempted to believe it is b) because what I know about game development does not line up with progress as I have seen here. Even for a solo dev. Look at the architect or the sexbot guy, or the two guys at summer heat. All very reliable about releases. Yet this dev only has excuses and can't or "won't" deliver and when they do it's perfectly serviceable but they say it will be a buggy mess and to please not release it here, they only want patrons (who at this point are sunk cost compliant) to have it. It all smells like rotten milk to me.

4.30 star(s) 271 Votes