Railroading Devs Don't Understand Basic Laws

Jul 1, 2018
Shiiiiiiit! Dev's exposed! Mods, pull a Zuckeberg on this thread and remove this harmful misinformation so dev's can go back to making FANTASY and FUN games and don't have to spread updates out to 5 years apart due to making sure every single render and dialogue complies with modern law!

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Completely agree. As said in my previous post, there are scenarios where it's plausible for the player to go on the seedy path, in order to keep property (or lifestyle) he cares about. What isn't plausible (in a modern day setting) is to ENSLAVE the MC by means of debt. And by enslaving i mean completely stripping the MC of control, so that it's forced to DO ANYTHING - even stuff he/she'd never do if there was an alternative. This thread has "railroading" in the title for a reason: I'm not talking about subtly "coaxing" the MC onto a path, but outright railroading: "You must do something you'd never consent to, because of a plot-device that isn't plausible with modern day laws."
Ever heard of human trafficking? Usually: we pay you to get to this country, nw to pay us back you have to work as a whore etc)
Or the fact that in parts of the world poor villagers sell their daughters to brothels/gangsters etc.?

But seriously dude, I can agree with your overall point (many games are full of idiotic, unrealistic devices...), but you really chose a poor example. While less common these days, enslaving people because of debt was very common in the past and is still an issue in many parts of the world.
And the whole thing about just reporting it to the police, lol, yeah right, try that in real life and good luck.... Why do you think organized crime has never been eradicated.

Reactions: eventualdream36

M$hot

May 28, 2017
You're a dweeb that within like 2 weeks of ingame time manages to nail the girl next door, the sexy red head at the gas station, got some dome from your mom and fingerblasted your sister. That's all fine, that is an entirely realistic premise, obviously.

But being so in debt that you're basically owned is not? Earlier in life I was in such deep debt that my choices were super duper limited. I managed to get out (without prostituting myself, yay) but it really did feel like I was their plaything, nothing I can fight against. And this is a Western nation I'm in. The police do their best and aren't corrupt but it's quite clear they wouldn't be able to protect me if someone truly wanted me dead.

Another one, almost all the girls you meet are hot and (if not playing NTR) will eventually be your fucktoy, while your character isn't written as bringing anything of much value to the table.
I'm not actually hung like a horse with no care in the world, going around fucking 18 year old girls even if they are related to me. It's suspension of disbelief that carries me through games. SoaB is probably one of the least unrealistic life simulator games, and even there you fuck your sister, mom, aunt, best friends mom, best friends sister and half-sister plus a bunch of other women including 2x mother and daughter (not a super likely threesome) and 2 sisters (also not a super likely threesome).

While I agree that some devs make some choices that are weird, I'm pretty sure that in erotic games the agreement is that they give us material to fap to and we suspend our disbelief to enjoy their creation.

Reactions: ForgottenMan1