Reasearch for an upcoming game. Please share your opinion.

Angel1984

Game Developer
Jul 25, 2020
Hello. I've wanted to post a pool but as it's restricted to only few answers we'll settle with plain posts.
This is a reasearch of most popular kinks witch will be used in an upcoming project .
Please select 3 of your favorite tags and post them below. Witch tag is most preferable in your search.

nulnil

May 18, 2021
1: Combat
2: Side-scroller
3: 3D Game

Don't care too much about kinks as long as it's nothing too extreme.

Reactions: Angel1984

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Witch tag is most preferable in your search.
Why not make the game you want to make, with a story you love, game mechanisms you can handle, and kinks/fetishes you know about ?

Wanting to please everyone will lead you nowhere.
Firstly, because the few hundreds (if you are really lucky) who will answer are just a small part of the 5 millions members of this site, who themselves are just a small part of the people who will potentially want to play your game. Therefore, those answers will tell you nothing.
Secondly, because those few hundreds will all give a different answer. Therefore, in regard of all the opinions, you'll probably have nothing that will goes above the 20%.
Thirdly, because you'll have to make a game with a story that will not be totally yours. Therefore, instead of being a pleasure, it will be a burden.
Fourthly, because you'll perhaps have to implement game mechanisms that you'll hate, or don't fully understand. Therefore you'll struggle with them, and not take enough time to debug them.
Fifthly, because you'll perhaps have to write about kinks/fetishes that disgust you, or for which you know nothing. Therefore, even the more hardcore fans of them will hate your game full of stupid clichés.

And all this for what ?
To have a consensual game ? There's no consensual game. You can pick any game you want, you'll always found people to say that it's overrated, when they don't say that it's deep shit.
To have a successful game that will make you earn tons of money ? Limiting to Patreon, there's less than 5% of the creators who earn enough to live from their passion. Most of them are on the scene since years, and it's the reason why they earn so much. As for the others, around 50% don't even earn enough to pay for their monthly grocery list, and around 20% can't afford a beer/week with their earning. Still limiting to Patreon, you'll be one among ~5,000, and you'll start the same month than ~30 others. Your game will need more than appealing tags to be tried, because there will be two/three games that will come out at the same time and with the same tags.

Do what you really want, and perhaps you'll succeed one day. And if you don't succeed, it will not be such a problem, because at least you'll take pleasure doing it, and interacting with the players. But if you try to please everyone, you'll be soon forgotten, like all those who tried before you.

Angel1984

Game Developer
Jul 25, 2020
Why not make the game you want to make, with a story you love, game mechanisms you can handle, and kinks/fetishes you know about ?

Wanting to please everyone will lead you nowhere.
Firstly, because the few hundreds (if you are really lucky) who will answer are just a small part of the 5 millions members of this site, who themselves are just a small part of the people who will potentially want to play your game. Therefore, those answers will tell you nothing.
Secondly, because those few hundreds will all give a different answer. Therefore, in regard of all the opinions, you'll probably have nothing that will goes above the 20%.
Thirdly, because you'll have to make a game with a story that will not be totally yours. Therefore, instead of being a pleasure, it will be a burden.
Fourthly, because you'll perhaps have to implement game mechanisms that you'll hate, or don't fully understand. Therefore you'll struggle with them, and not take enough time to debug them.
Fifthly, because you'll perhaps have to write about kinks/fetishes that disgust you, or for which you know nothing. Therefore, even the more hardcore fans of them will hate your game full of stupid clichés.

And all this for what ?
To have a consensual game ? There's no consensual game. You can pick any game you want, you'll always found people to say that it's overrated, when they don't say that it's deep shit.
To have a successful game that will make you earn tons of money ? Limiting to Patreon, there's less than 5% of the creators who earn enough to live from their passion. Most of them are on the scene since years, and it's the reason why they earn so much. As for the others, around 50% don't even earn enough to pay for their monthly grocery list, and around 20% can't afford a beer/week with their earning. Still limiting to Patreon, you'll be one among ~5,000, and you'll start the same month than ~30 others. Your game will need more than appealing tags to be tried, because there will be two/three games that will come out at the same time and with the same tags.

Do what you really want, and perhaps you'll succeed one day. And if you don't succeed, it will not be such a problem, because at least you'll take pleasure doing it, and interacting with the players. But if you try to please everyone, you'll be soon forgotten, like all those who tried before you.
Thank you for the question. :)
I've been making games for past 8 years now and one thing i learned is that you dont make a game for yourself..
You make a game for the customer.
Programmers and artist have a tendency to have quite a different taste. Furthermore my own kinks are NTR, Incest ,and Corruption.. That further solidifies my point.
Third. I kind of know what game we (yes i have a team) want to make.. incorporating most popular tags will help but not define the project.

Reactions: TundraLupus

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
1) male protagonist
2) rape
3) incest
as far as I'm concerned they are one of the few things I look at before deciding whether to download it or not

cocoloth

Jun 16, 2020
1)Male Protagonist
2)incest
3)Pregnancy

I like to self insert, I love the taboo of fucking my mom, I also like pregnant women having sex.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I've been making games for past 8 years now and one thing i learned is that you dont make a game for yourself..
You make a game for the customer.
Hmm... Is this really true ?
I don't doubt that you're making games since so long, nor that it's the conclusion you came to, but I have doubt regarding the said conclusion.

Of course, EA or Ubisoft, and their arm long surveys, are selling. But the games that are effectively praised are those made by more independent studios. And this is far to be something new.
The guys at Apogee Software or ID Software were making the games they wanted to play, based on the fact that they were, before anything else, players like any others. And thirty years later, their games are still seen as the bests of their time (well, except probably Duke Nukem Forever), while most games made by AAA studios are forgotten.
Would have ID Software asked what players want, Wolfenstein 3D would have never been made. Then Romero and Carmack wouldn't have mixed their talent and ideas to make Doom. Of course, Doom wasn't the first game in effective 3D, but the few attempt before this were mostly failures, partly because 3D wasn't what players thought they wanted.
It's because they didn't cared about what players say, assuming that a part of them will enjoy what themselves enjoy, that they made a game totally unexpected. A game that started a genre, and a genre that started a revolution. What would have, at this time, never reached 5% in a preference poll, is now what a vast majority of players will include in the same kind of poll.

Programmers and artist have a tendency to have quite a different taste.
Reason why teams have a leader who define the project and its limits.

Ramagar

Nov 19, 2017
As it has already been pointed out, make something that you are familiar with. It makes things a lot easier for you. You know the ins and outs so to speak of the topic. That way when other start to complain, you have knowledge to prove your point.

If you do something that you you are not familiar with, you can quickly get off topic and lose the main story plot.

Oct 14, 2022
1: Corruption.
2: Incest.
3: Pregancy.

I like games that focus on corrupting your family into sexual obediance.
Bonus points if you can whore them out, share them and/or impregnate them(birthing the kids is also a nice bonus)

It is all about the power.
I often add male progtaganist, vaginal sex and management to get rid of the female protaganist, limited demo's and visual novels.

There is a lot of junk.
Most games arent worth the effort to download.
If i can fastforward my way to the sex you failed as a game.

Angel1984

Game Developer
Jul 25, 2020
Hmm... Is this really true ?
I don't doubt that you're making games since so long, nor that it's the conclusion you came to, but I have doubt regarding the said conclusion.

Of course, EA or Ubisoft, and their arm long surveys, are selling. But the games that are effectively praised are those made by more independent studios. And this is far to be something new.
The guys at Apogee Software or ID Software were making the games they wanted to play, based on the fact that they were, before anything else, players like any others. And thirty years later, their games are still seen as the bests of their time (well, except probably Duke Nukem Forever), while most games made by AAA studios are forgotten.
Would have ID Software asked what players want, Wolfenstein 3D would have never been made. Then Romero and Carmack wouldn't have mixed their talent and ideas to make Doom. Of course, Doom wasn't the first game in effective 3D, but the few attempt before this were mostly failures, partly because 3D wasn't what players thought they wanted.
It's because they didn't cared about what players say, assuming that a part of them will enjoy what themselves enjoy, that they made a game totally unexpected. A game that started a genre, and a genre that started a revolution. What would have, at this time, never reached 5% in a preference poll, is now what a vast majority of players will include in the same kind of poll.

I've sent you my portfolio in private conv as i would prefer not to assosiate my partners with f95.

This thread smells like a future abandoned game
our track record begs to differ :). .. Shure hope not :D

With all due respect.
You seem somewhat not familiar with an indie dev scene realities.

With all that said i find it strange that when a dev is asking for an input and want's to actually make something for the players is met with a resistance :D.

Last edited:
Reactions: TundraLupus

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
With all that said i find it strange that when a dev is asking for an input and want's to actually make something for the players is met with a resistance :D.
You are not being met with resistence, it is just that in all these years many people before you have asked the same questions, and you can easily guess how their projects went. We are basically sparing you that loss of time, and suggesting a better route (making something you enjoy).

If you are so sure you are different from the others before you, and you can complete a project that you might not even enjoy yourself, you should also know that people with specific fetishes can tell the difference if they are written by somebody who doesn't understand or enjoy them, I actually found this the hard way.

Imho, it's a needless risk. There is a market for everything, so you may as well make something you enjoy, and other people with your same fetishes can enjoy as well.

Angel1984

Game Developer
Jul 25, 2020
You are not being met with resistence, it is just that in all these years many people before you have asked the same questions, and you can easily guess how their projects went. We are basically sparing you that loss of time, and suggesting a better route (making something you enjoy).

If you are so sure you are different from the others before you, and you can complete a project that you might not even enjoy yourself, you should also know that people with specific fetishes can tell the difference if they are written by somebody who doesn't understand or enjoy them, I actually found this the hard way.

Imho, it's a needless risk. There is a market for everything, so you may as well make something you enjoy, and other people with your same fetishes can enjoy as well.
This is ... actually a legit arguement ..

Still... i/we don't see this pool results as set in stone... only something to keep in mind of ..

For example if my thing is NTR i know ppl tend to actively fight against it... kink shame... and you know it's kind of a factor.
Let's say bestiality even if it's not my thing would be another instance of said factors.

And to my suprise Incest is kind of popular here at least up to this point... witch is a thing i know now and will be more likely to incorporate :).

Last edited:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Still... i/we don't see this pool results as set in stone... only something to keep in mind of ..
Ah, that's different. I believe I did a couple of those at the beginning as well, it makes sense if you have multiple stories and ideas, and you want to pick the one people will most likely enjoy the most.

• Love

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
With all due respect.
You seem somewhat not familiar with an indie dev scene realities.
Indie doesn't necessarily mean amateur. And, sorry if it hurt your pride, but a studio that works without team leader is way more amateur than indie, this whatever its success so far.
During my long life I've been part of many teams on my free time, mostly for Open Source projects, but not only. And what I learned from this, is that the lack of team leader always lead to a loose in time and capabilities, what in the end will be felt in the quality of the final product.

As Winterfire implied, it's not resistance, it's experience sharing.
I'm 51 years old, past most my life codding, as job and as hobby, seen thousands of projects starts and fail, been part of some. I witnessed the video gaming scene during all my life, since I'm few months older than video games, seen studios go big, seen them disappear without leaving a single trace in people's memory, for some not even mine, despite them being the EA or Ubisoft of their time. I also witnessed the adult gaming scene during the last five years, seen dozens of people wanting to make the game that will please the players, all believing that they were different from all those who came before, and I'm still waiting to see more than an advanced demo of their game.

And now I tell it like it is. But in the end I'm just a guy talking on the net, nothing more, and you do whatever you want with this knowledge I share. I'm just human, therefore I can't be always right and, statistically speaking, there's bound to be a time when I'll be wrong. Who know, perhaps is it now, perhaps not.

Angel1984

Game Developer
Jul 25, 2020
Indie doesn't necessarily mean amateur. And, sorry if it hurt your pride, but a studio that works without team leader is way more amateur than indie, this whatever its success so far.
During my long life I've been part of many teams on my free time, mostly for Open Source projects, but not only. And what I learned from this, is that the lack of team leader always lead to a loose in time and capabilities, what in the end will be felt in the quality of the final product.
Oh i've failed and been humbled enough not to be offended by constructive critique ;).
I was'nt saying our projects lack leadership.. Only that there are teams large and small and not every project needs a dedicated person for the task.(i feel like some of it was lost in translation dough ;) ) I would also be carefull not to call small time dev's amateurs :). Some take pride in their independence.

Reactions: anne O'nymous