Ren'Py Ren'py image size?

XartusStudio

Enchanting lewd
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2021
Hey all!

I have a question about the size of images in ren'py. I am wondering between 1920x1080 and 1270x720. Which one is better to choose?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
There is no single right answer.

Players will always prefer 1920x1080 if asked. But players are idiots.

If you are VERY good with a photo realistic render software like Daz3D or Blender, then a higher image resolution will allow you to show off that skill better. (See Estate: Dominate, which uses 2560x1440 images as an example of that).

But you don't NEED to go that high to show off your skill. (See Family, Friends and Strangers, which uses 1280x720).

If you are using or , the image size will affect your render times. So picking 1280x720 will massively improve how fast you can create each new scene. If you are using something like Honey Select, then render times matter less... so the image size becomes less about practicality and more about personal preference. I'd say the same was true for any 2D based game, whether you are drawing by hand or using some sort of sprite generation tool.

Nobody will ever give you a hard time for using 1920x1080. But honestly, most games don't need to be any higher than 1280x720. If it's your first game, I personally would suggest 1280x720 - but be prepared for some numpty to post in the comments when you first release your game complaining that it's not 1080p.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
There is no single right answer.

Players will always prefer 1920x1080 if asked. But players are idiots.

If you are VERY good with a photo realistic render software like Daz3D or Blender, then a higher image resolution will allow you to show off that skill better. (See Estate: Dominate, which uses 2560x1440 images as an example of that).

But you don't NEED to go that high to show off your skill. (See Family, Friends and Strangers, which uses 1280x720).

If you are using or , the image size will affect your render times. So picking 1280x720 will massively improve how fast you can create each new scene. If you are using something like Honey Select, then render times matter less... so the image size becomes less about practicality and more about personal preference. I'd say the same was true for any 2D based game, whether you are drawing by hand or using some sort of sprite generation tool.

Nobody will ever give you a hard time for using 1920x1080. But honestly, most games don't need to be any higher than 1280x720. If it's your first game, I personally would suggest 1280x720 - but be prepared for some numpty to post in the comments when you first release your game complaining that it's not 1080p.
I don't think players are necessarily idiots (sometimes it is) but outside laptop, decent 4k large screen (and native 4k resolution) are quite popular. And once Renpy resize a 1080 render 4 times to fit the screen; it ain't generally look really good lol. It's even worst if the render is not the best one let's say. First world problem I know :whistle:.

Generally when I'm doing small Renpy prototype, I render in 1080 (to keep every render under sub 10 min) and create a PS droplet into renders folder to resize them to 4k pre postwork and preserve maximum of details (tried various solutions like AI gigapixel and so on but meh).

It's maybe not the best solution tho. Definitely not a replacement for a real 4k resolution, but quite simple to work with (just drag 'n drop your renders files/folder). Maybe not a good thing for devs concerned with game size tho. But that way I don't yell at Renpy :geek:.

Here an exemple 1080>4k, it's far from perfect as you can see grain (some ppl may use denoiser on top but I hate that lol) but somewhat a good compromise (at least for a shit prototype). It's JPG tho, don't think I have original PNG anymore (it's an old vic8.1 test iirc).

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Here an example 1080>4k [...]

I think I can safely count that render at least as "If you are VERY good with a photo realistic render software like Daz3D [...]"

We mere mortals (and from what I see, that's at least 80% of RenPy/Daz devs) are better suited towards the 720p end of the scale, rather than the 1440p or 2160p that that picture deserves.

I take your point though, not all devs are going to be as poor at Daz as I tend to presume.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I think I can safely count that render at least as "If you are VERY good with a photo realistic render software like Daz3D [...]"

We mere mortals (and from what I see, that's at least 80% of RenPy/Daz devs) are better suited towards the 720p end of the scale, rather than the 1440p or 2160p that that picture deserves.

I take your point though, not all devs are going to be as poor at Daz as I tend to presume.
Plenty of people have their way with whatever engine. A simple look at that thread should convince you.

I think more games should benefit from a 'real' upscale than not imho (granted I didn't play lot of them). It's sad to see good renders ruined because resolution, feel like hard work going to waste. And extra step from a 1080 base are not that hard, that's what I mean.

Jofur

May 22, 2018
720p is never gonna stop me from playing a game (after suffering though a few 800x600 Japanese VN's, 720p is nothing), but it definitely makes your game feel a bit cheaper and uglier since things are pretty blurry unless you play in a window. This day and age I think you should aim at 1080p. It's what most people use after all.

I feel like with 720p you need a really good sense of cinematography since you aren't going for "crisp" visuals, good use of DOF can really offset the lower resolution for example. For games using real-time engines like Honey Select, 1080p is mandatory since even in 1080p these games can look a bit blurry due to the lower-quality shading and post-processing anti-aliasing.

A bit of an off-topic tangent, but I wonder if you could use those fancy new AI-upscaling tools to get some better resolution of some classic VN's. Would be a dream come true to see something like Majikoi in upscaled 1080p. You would probably have to port the entire game to a new engine though, so I can't see it happening.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Right now most people still use a 1080p display and 720p is enough for a game. However graphic cards are finally getting to a point where they can drive a 4k display at reasonable framerates while the cost of 4K displays is coming down quickly. If you think you will have final release of your game within one max two years you can go 720p otherwise I'd go with 1080p.