Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Save Editor [v1.6.1] [Last Moment]

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes

Ruffy2010

Jul 9, 2017
Is there a way to rename the name of the saved file? When saving, the date and time are displayed. However, I would like to change the name. I am playing a game with several episodes and each episode has a different ending. I would like to name this save game "Episode 1" for example. Is it possible to change the name?

WuzzyFuzzy

Jan 23, 2020
It appears that as of Ren'Py 8.1 there is an addition to the code called Save Security Token. The token checks to see if the save file being used originated from the same computer as the token written upon game start. It asks if the user trusts the save file YES/NO. It also checks for editing of the save file and will not load a save if it was edited with either Ren'Py Save Editor or saveeditonline.com. One can still use unren to enable the console and alter variables. I am hoping someone will be able to find away around the new code to enable the use of this and other save editors again.

EDIT: As derfirm mentions below, one can go to this thread to see more discussion and various workarounds (if one is so inclined) for the token system now being used in Ren'Py.

Last edited:

HillDweller

Mar 31, 2020
NOTE: I intended to post this here instead but posted it in this thread by mistake, and then deleted this one to avoid confusion, but it has magically come back from deletion. Oh well.

---

1) Any changes in the save files will invalidate the save file.

2) In this version of the game, you cannot use other people's save files to play.
you can no longer share saves, because the saves have been encrypted. Enjoy that wonderful idea
It doesn't appear to be explicit by this game's dev - it's base Ren'py engine functionality starting from 8.1.x, for "security reasons" (see below), and Ren'py version changed from 8.0.3 to 8.1.1 in this latest game version. Again I don't think the version upgrade was explicitly intended by the dev to mess with save loading; they likely upgraded for other reasons.

Saves use Python pickle format which can be abused maliciously (and I've seen exploit proof-of-concepts being posted online), so apparently the Ren'py developers have deprecated sharing saves altogether; see also:
-
-

This has been reported here too:

It appears that as of Ren'Py 8.1 there is an addition to the code called Save Security Token. The token checks to see if the save file being used originated from the same computer as the token written upon game start. It asks if the user trusts the save file YES/NO. It also checks for editing of the save file and will not load a save if it was edited with either Ren'Py Save Editor or saveeditonline.com. One can still use unren to enable the console and alter variables. I am hoping someone will be able to find away around the new code to enable the use of this and other save editors again.

Like the person above says, when loading unaltered foreign saves, you'll get a warning that the save has been created in another device, and a yes/no prompt to continue loading. You have to explicitly answer yes for each new device from which you want to load saves.

That said, you CAN share saves, as long as they're unaltered externally (from outside the game, like in save editors). Messing with the console and then saving is OK though.

False alarm for the most part.

Last edited:

Codex07

Jul 21, 2019
NOTE: I intended to post this here
Like the person above says, when loading unaltered foreign saves, you'll get a warning that the save has been created in another device, and a yes/no prompt to continue loading. You have to explicitly answer yes for each new device from which you want to load saves.
But the problem is that even when you click yes, it still unable to load it, that's why i'm confused, the "yes" button treated you the same as you click "no"

So no matter if you choose yes/no, it still unable to load it.

Last edited:

derfirm

Jan 9, 2021
Reactions: WuzzyFuzzy

doudouzi

May 16, 2023
But the problem is that even when you click yes, it still unable to load it, that's why i'm confused, the "yes" button treated you the same as you click "no"

So no matter if you choose yes/no, it still unable to load it.
I also found this problem when I use this tool to change my renpy saves, when I load the saves and I click yes, itjust didnt work like before,.
So saaaaaaaaaaad

hoborg

Jul 8, 2017
I also found this problem when I use this tool to change my renpy saves, when I load the saves and I click yes, itjust didnt work like before,.
So saaaaaaaaaaad
I'm having the same problem.
Click yes that I trust the file, but still doesnt load. Just throws me back to the load screen.

Pijee

Jan 14, 2019
not woring anymore pls update
"This save was created on a different device. maliciously construced save files can harm your computer"

Rex72

Aug 5, 2018
Latest save editor 1.61 still do not work. If renpy fails us lets find a different creator tool that will not!

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes