Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Transparent Text Box Mod v2.6.4

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Hi, Penfold Mole , I firstly want to say that I LOVE this mod. Really hard to play a game without it.

I was wondering if there was a way to remove the textboxes around the names in https://f95zone.to/threads/research-into-affection-v0-6-11-boomatica-jd.15780/?

Some instructions, or a patch for your mod, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
checked it on 0.6.2v i have (havent played it for a while).
perhaps the easiest way - just open screens.rpy, delete lines 101-102 (calling NameBox.png), and if he havent changed gui much that should fix it.
I haven't played it for a very-very long time, either. And today I'm just so beat after work, can't keep my eyes open :sleep:

Thanks for trying to help him, Abhai , I hope it'll work for you, Wombat of Combat ! (y)

Cheers!

WhyNot

Apr 22, 2017
Hi, Penfold Mole. First, let me say that this is a great mod.

But, seems that this causes the phone icon in the game College Kings [v0.5.3] to not appear (which makes it unplayable). Tried first with mod v2.5.9, then with v.2.6.3. The quick menu toggles okay, but I only got the phone icon in the upper-right to show up by deleting the "y_outline" files and then either setting "quick_menu=True" or starting over.

Reactions: frozenfeet

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017

But, seems that this causes the phone icon in the game College Kings [v0.5.3] to not appear (which makes it unplayable). Tried first with mod v2.5.9, then with v.2.6.3. The quick menu toggles okay, but I only got the phone icon in the upper-right to show up by deleting the "y_outline" files and then either setting "quick_menu=True" or starting over.
Thanks for the info!

Without looking at the game code I can only say that if the game is designed in a way that my modification breaks it, there is little that I can do about it.
Sure, I could download the game and try to find the source of the problem and then try to create some exception for this particular game in my patch that creates a way around the problem, but right now there are a bit too many of these games already that need some specific exceptions to be created for me to work on.

My patch works with the default Ren'Py configuration and configurations that are not modified much in a few specific places of the configuration files. In case they are, either the game or my patch stops working correctly. I have created exceptions for a number of games I have played myself or at least checked them out enough to adjust my patch, but for the rest of the games, if the default configuration of my patch isn't working, then my patch just isn't working with them.
It is possible that at some point I'm going to have to change the statement about my patch working with the "most of the Ren'Py games" to "some". :rolleyes:

However, I was thinking about taking a look at this specific game myself already before, so it is possible that I will try to create an exception for it and release an update for my patch that will work with this game in the future. It will be mentioned in the changelog in this case.

/Note to self:
I'm going to have to start a list of games that are not working with my patch to keep track on the reports and give a warning to people trying my patch on games already reported.

Reactions: Abhai

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018

hmm, im kinda gonna bump here again - yet, if Im not wrong that game already has a transparent textbox/namebox/dialogues, so why using additional mod at first place?

WhyNot

Apr 22, 2017
hmm, im kinda gonna bump here again - yet, if Im not wrong that game already has a transparent textbox/namebox/dialogues, so why using additional mod at first place?
You're right, there's not really a need to use it with College Kings. I just automatically install this mod for practically every Ren'py game. In addition to the transparent text box, I like how easy it is to turn off the quick menu with the mod.

edit: fixed misspelling

Last edited:
Reactions: Abhai

frozenfeet

Aug 2, 2019
It is not working with "Public Sex Life H". There is a big black box around the dialogue.

Not sure if this game is on your list or not but I could have sworn it use to work because I would have been to distracted by the big black box to have not noticed it before.

I'm using version 0.21.

Also I had the same problem with College Kings. It didn't even occur to me it was because of your transparent mod.

So I went through and and added call screen phone every where I needed to open the phone, what a pain in the ass that was,:LOL:.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Thanks, z2lid and frozenfeet !

It's totally possible that a game works with my mod patch at first and stops working when original dialog box of the game gets modified in an incompatible way later on.

Waste_of_Time

Jan 2, 2021
Penfold Mole Thank you for creating this mod! I just discovered it and it is SO much better to be able to see the entire picture without the bottom third being covered by text box. Especially when the art and artist is really good! Nice job and thanks again! :)

Reactions: Penfold Mole

dacris69

M, TI
Donor
Nov 20, 2017
https://f95zone.to/threads/shattered-v0-11-yeda-games.42858/
using the mod with this game, crashes all the time before reaching the menu

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After initialization, but before game start.
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 82, in _init_language
renpy.change_language(language)
File "game/mod/screens.rpy", line 17, in <module>
size gui.quick_button_text_size
AttributeError: 'StoreModule' object has no attribute 'quick_button_text_size'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "Shattered-0.11-pc\Shattered-0.11-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 316, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "Shattered-0.11-pc\Shattered-0.11-pc\renpy\main.py", line 578, in main
run(restart)
File "Shattered-0.11-pc\Shattered-0.11-pc\renpy\main.py", line 75, in run
renpy.translation.init_translation()
File "Shattered-0.11-pc\Shattered-0.11-pc\renpy\translation\__init__.py", line 558, in init_translation
renpy.store._init_language() # @UndefinedVariable
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 82, in _init_language
renpy.change_language(language)
File "Shattered-0.11-pc\Shattered-0.11-pc\renpy\translation\__init__.py", line 638, in change_language
new_change_language(tl, language)
File "\Shattered-0.11-pc\Shattered-0.11-pc\renpy\translation\__init__.py", line 604, in new_change_language
i.apply()
File "Shattered-0.11-pc\Shattered-0.11-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 2553, in apply
value = renpy.python.py_eval(expr)
File "Shattered-0.11-pc\Shattered-0.11-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2059, in py_eval
return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
File "Shattered-0.11-pc\Shattered-0.11-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2052, in py_eval_bytecode
return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "game/mod/screens.rpy", line 17, in <module>
size gui.quick_button_text_size
AttributeError: 'StoreModule' object has no attribute 'quick_button_text_size'

edit, nvm it seems this mod is causing the error, they dont work together https://f95zone.to/threads/shattered-v0-11-yeda-games.42858/page-63#post-4620514

Last edited:

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Yes, the cause is in the file named game/mod/screens.rpy on line 17, as your traceback says. This is not a part of my transparency patch. My patch sets quick menu button size through the quick_button_text style, it isn't relying on the gui.quick_button_text_size variable that seems to be missing in this particular game.
By default those variables are being defined by the gui.rpy file that in some custom GUI modifications is missing and those variables aren't being used by the game.
In such case it would help to set that variable by the mod itself. Of course, it would be possible to do that only in case that variable is actually missing, for example:

Python:
try:
    gui.quick_button_text_size
except NameError:
    define gui.quick_button_text_size = 25

liquid74

Apr 3, 2020
Apparently it is impossible to define constants on condition in Ren'Py. This kind of construction doesn't work:
Code:
if condition:
    define c = Character ("bla", color="#FF0000")
RenPy will just define constant "c" no matter if condition is true or false.

It means that I have to roll back versions to v2.3, that is - remove all overrides for specific games until I can figure out (or not) how to accomplish what I tried earlier.

Sorry!

Until then here are separate patch files for View of Family and Dual Family:
Thank you so much! This removed that black box at the bottom that was taking up 1/4 of my screen and almost making the game unplayable. Good looking out!

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Thank you so much! This removed that black box at the bottom that was taking up 1/4 of my screen and almost making the game unplayable. Good looking out!
Thanks!

It's just that the post you quoted isn't exactly correct. It was my second post in this thread and I had very little knowledge of the Ren'Py and absolute zero in Python at the time.
the66 explained how it should have been done and the problem has been fixed for almost 3 years. ;)

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Penfold Mole could you please look at Confined with Goddesses The mod works on the textbox as expected, however the game also has a different text box (textboxth) for when the MC is thinking. Game size is 108.68 MB.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Since the game is relatively small, I did take a look at it.

A quick fix for the problem is attached. It redefines 'MC thoughts' mcth character at higher init level, leaving out window_background parameter.
Just put the file into the 'game' subfolder in the game main (root) folder.
The name of the file is irrelevant, just the rpy extension is a must.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chrisdarock19

Chrisdarock19

Oct 15, 2018
Since the game is relatively small, I did take a look at it.

A quick fix for the problem is attached. It redefines 'MC thoughts' mcth character at higher init level, leaving out window_background parameter.
Just put the file into the 'game' subfolder in the game main (root) folder.
The name of the file is irrelevant, just the rpy extension is a must.
Thanks for taking the time to make this.

Reactions: Penfold Mole
5.00 star(s) 6 Votes