Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Transparent Text Box Mod v2.6.4

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

bsg9000

Apr 5, 2019
I just want to share what must be the most interesting of coincidences. I found this page for the same reason as all of you- the text box. I didn't even know about hitting the "H" key, so I did it for the first time it to see Rin's lower half and when I advanced to the next frame, the text was "I don't like it when something gets in my way."
HA!

Netgear

Jul 25, 2018
In the game "Sweet Affection", the text box does disappear, but the two name box are still there.
It's still less intrusive then the big text box, but it would be great to have thoses two small box disappear to.

Sep 18, 2018
In the new Harem Hotel update, the game have added 3 different textboxes to choose from, but none of em is a full transparent and the patch have stopped working.
Is this fixable?

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Ren'Py is always fixable, the damn thing about it is that I'd have to download the game to give you at least a temporary custom fix.

You could however try this 'universal' one in addition to the transparency patch. It replaces say screen of the game with Ren'Py default say screen and my patch should work with it.
A possible problem may be that in case the say screen of the game is some heavily customized one with some added features or formatted in some freaky way, then the replacement may miss something from there that you need to play the game. Another potential problem is that some necessary styles may be missing or changed in a way that will screw up the looks of the default say screen.

If this patch doesn't work or creates problems then you can just delete files default_say.rpy and default_say.rpyc and reload the game to get rid of it.

Extract downloaded zip into the 'game' subfolder, then start the game.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
maybe not work with 2.6.3.1 ?
What? Where did you find that?
My latest version is v2.6.3
If you found v2.6.3.1 somewhere, then this one has been released by someone else and I have no idea what it could possibly contain or why isn't it working.

Ara-sH

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2017
What? Where did you find that?
My latest version is v2.6.3
If you found v2.6.3.1 somewhere, then this one has been released by someone else and I have no idea what it could possibly contain or why isn't it working.
My bad, its my mistake. i mean 2.6.3 no 2.6.3.1

Waste_of_Time

Jan 2, 2021
Penfold Mole Hey as I said in my review I love your mod, works great almost everytime. Only occasionally does it glitch, and I just had it collide with a particular game. Do you have a fix/workaround for the below error? Just pasting the first part of the traceback. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

While running game code:
File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 1181, in script
init 999 python:
init 999 python:
File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 1200, in <module>
config.label_overrides["start"] = "pfstart"
TypeError: 'LabelOverridesSwitch' object does not support item assignment

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Penfold Mole Hey as I said in my review I love your mod, works great almost everytime. Only occasionally does it glitch, and I just had it collide with a particular game. Do you have a fix/workaround for the below error? Just pasting the first part of the traceback. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

While running game code:
init 999 python:
init 999 python:
File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 1200, in <module>
config.label_overrides["start"] = "pfstart"
TypeError: 'LabelOverridesSwitch' object does not support item assignment
Weird. Seems like the built-in label overriding system isn't functioning in that game the way it has been doing since I started using it in my patch.

Maybe it's old? The engine itself. What's the Ren'Py version of this game? In the main folder there should be a text file named log.txt, Ren'Py version should be on the third line.

You could just try the old v2.4.12 patch in the meantime. It has no label overrides defined in it.

Reactions: Waste_of_Time

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
It's not working for Android bro
I dont play nor develop on the Android nor the Mac platform. Ren'Py code is platform agnostic, however.

As far as I know, if the Ren'Py version is relatively new to support patching in Android or the game has been pre-patched before building the apk, it has been working on Android so far. Some guys who have been making Android builds of the games have been adding my patch to their Android builds for some time. Do they still do it, I have no idea.

My best quess about your problem is that it just isn't working for some specific games, the same as in Windows, Linux and Mac, since there are no major differences between Ren'Py versions on different systems. Ren'Py and Python code works the same in all of them.

For old Ren'Py versions on Android that have no support for a game folder system on the internal or external memory card, my patch isn't working since they don't support patching in general. Their apk's have to be pre-patched.

Apr 5, 2021
Im not sure if its just me, but ive had multiple games last few weeks that the text box does not work at all, or works on just some text boxes in game, really strange behavior. Not sure if its strange coding on the games, or if there is something with a new renpy update or something.

Chrisdarock19

Oct 15, 2018
Im not sure if its just me, but ive had multiple games last few weeks that the text box does not work at all, or works on just some text boxes in game, really strange behavior. Not sure if its strange coding on the games, or if there is something with a new renpy update or something.
I've noticed that some games have things like textbox1 or textboxX or textbox_thoughts etc. This is why they still show up in game.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
I've noticed that some games have things like textbox1 or textboxX or textbox_thoughts etc. This is why they still show up in game.
Yes, some devs are using character definitions to assign text box background images to some or all characters. In that case my patch currently is unable to deal with them.

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes