Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Transparent Text Box Mod v2.6.4

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes
Apr 9, 2021
My bad, I'm late to the party but THAT doesn't mean I shouldn't praise the creator of this mod, seriously... a feature like this is supposed to be Ren'py itself, many thanks for the contribution Penfold Mole you have indeed made a lot of gamers happier!

But let's move on to the real reason for my comment, I'm experiencing problems with making the background text box disappear completely from the Steam's latest version of Amnesia (0.85a). I have attached a screenshot to the comment before AND after applying and testing both patches, am I doing something wrong?

Or is there a value that needs to be adjusted for the latest version of the game? Let me know, thank you very much in advance!

EDIT: I have just realized that the uploaded images do not really do justice but there is still the background box in the second picture, so that's why I'm creating this thread response, have a nice day!

BEFORE

Amnesia_ByB98NOtbm.jpg

AFTER

Amnesia_keJsrGW11b.jpg

Last edited:

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Which both patches are you talking about? I'm not sure I understand what you did there. Did you tested both, v2.6.3 and the old v2.4.12?

The latest v2.6.3 should work just fine, unless the Steam version is somehow different from the non-Steam versions. I just tested it on the original 7GB version I downloaded from the MEGA link.

screenshot0001.jpg

Are you sure that you have no other patches added that may also modify your dialog box?

Besides, the game itself now has a text box opacity slider, so unless you just want to get better looking outlines to the text and a less noticeable quick menu that can be toggled (Alt+m), you have no need for my patch.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021
Which both patches are you talking about? I'm not sure I understand what you did there. Did you tested both, v2.6.3 and the old v2.4.12?

The latest v2.6.3 should work just fine, unless the Steam version is somehow different from the non-Steam versions. I just tested it on the original 7GB MEGA version that I have.

View attachment 1657025

Are you sure that you have no other patches added that may also modify your dialog box?
Correct, I mean both patches that have been supplied within this thread.

I do have another patch in place but that is not supposed to change the "behavior" of the dialog box and it is called... (down THERE ↓) BUT the link's here → . I don't think the Steam version is different since the update is always 0.85a. So don't be concerned about that part.

However do I need to remove it for yours to work correctly? I'll leave you the 101 code of the other patch I currently have installed here so you can review it and tell if there's anything that doesn't "fit" with what are already implemented in yours, thank you very much ↓

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Thamn's patch doesn't affect my patch nor the game in any negative way, it's just not needed.

Are other Ren'Py games working normally in your computer, no anomalies like this one?

Apr 9, 2021
Thamn's patch doesn't affect my patch nor the game in any negative way, it's just not needed.

Are other Ren'Py games working normally in your computer, no anomalies like this one?
EXPLANATION: Rather, it was necessary because after starting over from a new save and having fast-forwarded with the TAB key all the scenes I had already seen until that moment, the "function" hide the UI with the H key did not work anymore and therefore I was left with not much choice but to install the Thamn's patch...

Absolutely not, I have quite a few Ren'py games that I'm currently playing and none so far has given me any trouble, but it is also true that the only one on which I tried YOURS patch was Amnesia. Is there any other cues or direction I should turn to or is there something relevant we're forgetting?

If it would help I leave the log of my latest Amensia launches here in a spoiler ↓

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
I have never seen my patch causing anything like that and it shouldn't do that, unless there is something different with the version of the game you have. Either the say screen is different from the one in the version I have or there is some style defined differently in a way that is affecting the dialog box.
Without actually searching and reading through the code of the version you have, I have no way to know.
What I do know is that it's working with the non-Steam version.

You could try the newer experimental patch that replaces dialog box itself completely and has a few other added features (click "?" in the quick menu) that may also not work, depending very much on the game and how much there is custom code replacing the Ren'Py default.
It means that it works in even lesser number of games, so be ready to remove it in case it doesn't work or does something nasty to the game GUI. It will highly likely also remove built-in walkthrough or some other helper features or "eye candy" from the in-game menus and dialog box itself.

Games are coded differently, my patch works when they are scripted and configured using default Ren'Py configuration files and styles. The more the code is customized, the less likely my patch will work. Can't do magic tricks.

https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-transparent-text-box-mod-v2-6-3.11925/post-5510143

Apr 9, 2021
I have never seen my patch causing anything like that and it shouldn't do that, unless there is something different with the version of the game you have. Either the say screen is different from the one in the version I have or there is some style defined differently in a way that is affecting the dialog box.
Ok... then what do you say if I upload to the full copy of the game up-to-date that I downloaded directly from Steam and YOU take a look at it in your spare time to see if there are any differences?

EDIT: As soon as it is available I will link it where you see the word Anonfiles

We must try to get to the bottom of it to see where the root of the issue is so that the knowledge that will come from "unraveling it" can be used for other similar cases or scenarios!

Without actually searching and reading through the code of the version you have, I have no way to know. What I do know is that it's working with the non-Steam version.
It seems to be so, but MY comment above I think solved THAT at least... let's not lose HOPE here. I'm confident we can find a workaround to allow my version to work the same way as others ↑↑

You could try the newer experimental patch that replaces dialog box itself completely and has a few other added features (click "?" in the quick menu) that may also not work, depending very much on the game and how much there is custom code replacing the Ren'Py default.

It means that it works in even lesser number of games, so be ready to remove it in case it doesn't work or does something nasty to the game GUI. It will highly likely also remove built-in walkthrough or some other helper features or "eye candy" from the in-game menus and dialog box itself.
I guess, for me, that's the last resort. In the event that all else fails, I will try your experimental beta, and obviously thank your patch efforts, consultation AND troubleshooting here on the forum, much much appreciated!

Games are coded differently, my patch works when they are scripted and configured using default Ren'Py configuration files and styles. The more the code is customized, the less likely my patch will work. Can't do magic tricks.

https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-transparent-text-box-mod-v2-6-3.11925/post-5510143
Understood very well, and in fact I don't expect it to. You rightly pointed it out but there is no need since I know how "things" work! Have a nice night, Penfold Mole... and keep UP the good work!

Last edited:
Reactions: Namco15
Apr 9, 2021
Not to worry, I'm not here to complain about the unanswered THING above ↑... but because I have a perhaps still slightly more elaborate question to eviscerate. So let's not waste time!

I was wondering if it was possible to make a change or SWAP of fonts through this mod and if then this goal was achievable "on the side" since it is not the main purpose of the mod in question.

| The game is Chasing Sunsets (Version 0.5-Steam) |

| The fonts are → 1) Arial Rounded MT Bold (used for the normal text of the dialogues) & 2) Gotham Rounded Bold (used for only the name characters text) |

| Your outline.rpy file would allow the swapping? |

atom_DiD4Rlq8W5.png

Penfold Mole ... of course, thank you for taking the time to read this thread and have a great evening, sir!

P.S: I apologize in case what I'm asking is unconnected to the mod

Last edited:

nyatd

Creator Of Falling Stars
Game Developer
Jan 22, 2021
Penfold Mole, I've been trying for a few days to get a slider like this in my game but just couldn't get it working properly. I tried your mod and it works perfectly! Could I use this if I give you credit?

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Penfold Mole So glad I found this thread. I've been using this mod for a while now with great pleasure... But either I got it from a different source or forgot to bookmark this thread as I couldn't for the life of me find back where I got it from.

Now the issue I'm having is this

Code:
'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 1181, in script
    init 999 python:
  File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 1181, in script
    init 999 python:
  File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 1200, in <module>
    config.label_overrides["start"] = "pfstart"
TypeError: 'LabelOverridesSwitch' object does not support item assignment
The game in question is Sunshine Love CH2 0.01 (Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266). mod works fine in Chapter 1 but not in the new release.

Also, the hotkey conflicts with the Universal Ren'Py Mod (see sig) in that I can't hide the quick menu (easily fixed by changing the hotkey, so not a big issue, just so you are aware of it.)

EDIT: Ok, seems the syntax got changed slightly... fixed it by changing
Code:
    config.label_overrides["start"] = "pfstart"
    config.label_overrides["after_load"] = "pf_after_load"
to
Code:
    config.label_overrides = {"start":"pfstart", "after_load":"pf_after_load"}
but the added option Incest (Enabled)/Incest (Disabled) (whichever you're using) stays in it's old location so it apperantly is added differently

Last edited:

MausMaus

Aug 2, 2018
Some games like HRC use an extra overlay "png" image for that black text box, so you need to go to "Gui" folder and crop or resize those "png" files. For example for Angela you need to crop "angelachrface.png" file and repeat it for all other characters.
Ooof, fair enough. I guess I'll just live with the text box.

Mo81us

Nov 28, 2020
First of all id like thank OP for making this mod it is really helpfull for allot of games.

I have to start by saying that im no coder or anything and i dont understand most of the code that is used to make these kind of mods but id just want to drop this file here for anyone if there having trouble, its something i made by using the OG file made by Penfold Mole and combining it with a mod that changed the preference's menu to be able to change text size and transparency i really like the quick menu style that Penfold Mole made and wanted to have that in most of the games i played so i copied and pasted some code together untill i got it to work to have the flexibility to change the text background and size with the quick menu only downside is that it overwrites the menu the game maker included and i cant really help or anything if it doesnt work for you.

i hope this is ok to post here if its not let me know and ill remove it

DeUglyOne

Bite Me!
Donor
Sep 1, 2017
Would it be possible (for games that define character names without an outline or a bad outline) to simply loop through all characters and add/update the outline attribute?
It's how I would do it in my main programming language, but I don't know much about Python.

Redefining characters manually for every "problem game" is cumbersome and a fight against windmills.
If you're wanting to do it manually, outlining all text only takes a single added line.
I'm too lazy to re-type it all, so you can look here.

DeUglyOne

Bite Me!
Donor
Sep 1, 2017
IIRC, that one was mentioned above for doing some wonky things with settings/graphics, like attaching the text box graphic to the avatars. There may be a setting that's been changed somewhere else that overrides the main default.
When used as the default like that, it should outline every bit of text including the quick menu at the bottom of the screen.

Daastaan007

Jan 10, 2019
Kindly make the size of text like "Menu" "Save" "Skip" "Load" a little more big.

The size is very small for Android, as we have to touch it not like pc(click it).

It’s hard to play on Android with it.

Every time I used this, the menu on Android is become hardly to find.

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes