Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
r3.6 Progress Report #8 - Jul 1@ 21:20 UTC (Task List)
AND SCENE 3 of 3 DONEEEEEE! WUTWUT... Yeah, okay, just all the images in the game, not tested, yada-yada, but all the art is in. It was by far the fastest (just 2 hrs to do) since it is ALL bgs (no posing, which is what take a LOT of time for me).

Unfortunately, I have other commitments today, so I can't go right into testing (instead, I have to be thinking about it the rest of the day...). I will get back to it tonight and finish things up on my end. Then its just testing, testing, some more testing, and the rest of the steps I need to do to make the full build.

If everything goes as planned, I should have it out by this time tomorrow!

slowpersun

May 30, 2017
Yeah, disconnected plot elements are an ongoing issue. This set of events are particularly difficult since it seems like Ferdafs wants them to (at some point) be exploratory, which means they don't connect to anything else.

I do intend (and am doing it right now in fact) to add additional dialogue. As always, I'll try my best to have it fit in somehow. But the pool day sort of abruptly comes out of nowhere. Also, it doesn't feel like the right setting for a heart-to-heart with Beth... but if I keep putting it off it will never come (that's what she said).
I had assumed that the pool day was more due to it being a summer (ignore the pun!) thing, but then again, the Ferdafs version hasn't yet done a snow day for winter yet...

But hey, since it's summertime, could always have that heart to heart afterwards during a tanning sesh... with the new swimsuit! But the passage of time in your is also kind of weird, technically the whole game so far only takes place over like a month and a half, since only on day 38-39 now... not day 112. But since game doesn't use an actual calendar, hard to tell if day 36 really comes right after day 35, or if the numbering isn't an actual passage of time but rather just for ease of coding (so you can more easily keep track).

But since it is summertime would be interesting to add tan/tanline versions of the characters now that seasons "exist" (shading, I guess). But what happened to Hunger Games Summer, did she decide to skip the water park?

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I had assumed that the pool day was more due to it being a summer (ignore the pun!) thing, but then again, the Ferdafs version hasn't yet done a snow day for winter yet...
The Unity game does have seasonal events in it (like the Pumpkin Dance for Halloween or the Valentines day event for... I don't know, that would be groundhogs day or something, right?...) but that game also doesn't really do time tracking at all (beyond hours of the day). It makes sense the the pool even is for Summer (since she is the one that wants to go to the pool... and also the season...), but haven't made it a summer time event, the day starts with Morty coming home from school.

But hey, since it's summertime, could always have that heart to heart afterwards during a tanning sesh...
It is most likely not going to make it in this update... I still have a lot of work to do and writing ANOTHER scene isn't my highest priority. Again, I do agree it should take place (realistically, in day 37 someplace... but that has all sorts of issues too...)

If I can't make it fit (that's what she said), I'll put it at the top of my list for r3.7.

But the passage of time in your is also kind of weird, technically the whole game so far only takes place over like a month and a half, since only on day 38-39
Yeah... it seemed silly to put in empty days, or jump around the calendar since usually only 1 or 2 events have any seasonal reference. Oh, its October for 3 scenes awesome! Next is xmas... oh, wait, no xmas event... skip forward to... some other recognizable holiday?

The days are meant to do a few things, give a sense of time progression (even if it doesn't match the season per-say), give a way to group events together (some of these tie nicely into each other, while some are a stretch), have something that is easy for players to navigate to find their favorite part of the game to jump back into (like built in save spots). And I just like that day transition. It always plays Majoras mask day sound in my head when it happens. DUN-DUN.

Does it make perfect sense, haha, no. That could never be the case with seasonal events. But the show doesn't really progress time or have a logical season order, so I figured it was mostly harmless...

But since it is summertime would be interesting to add tan/tanline versions of the characters now that seasons "exist" (shading, I guess).
Tanlines most likely won't be a thing from me (if Ferdafs adds them I will too, obviously, that is the whole point of this project...), but that would just complicate things for little/no gains.

But what happened to Hunger Games Summer, did she decide to skip the water park?
What, I have no idea what you're talking about, she came to my pool event...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

slowpersun

May 30, 2017
Tanlines most likely won't be a thing from me (if Ferdafs adds them I will too, obviously, that is the whole point of this project...), but that would just complicate things for little/no gains.
True, people have been plugging for a Morphizer-XE scene/storyline in the regular game for years to no avail. It's your mod, do as you like!

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
r3.6 Progress Report #9 - Jul 2@ 09:50 UTC (Task List)
Okay! First QC pass on scene 3 is all done! Now you might be thinking, awesome, release the game let us fucking play it already! (and also, oh shit, how did NM know what I was thinking? (and then, that too! they must be psychic!))...

Woah, hold your CHUDs there Bud(s), it still needs some working on...

Just because I made it through the content doesn't mean it's ready. Playable, yes. Ready, not so much. So what the heck is possibly left (I hear you scream through your screen)?!.

First is a big one, compression. I've been compression the images as I go, but SO much has changed that I really want to ensure none of them get left out. So ,I'm recompressing the full game to have a "final" set of images (no more image alteration at this point (or at least very, very limited ones if I have to).

I actually just finished that step (3hrs of background processing during the QC), and then promptly manage to fuck it right up but not deleting the old version first and trying to have windows MOVE 22,500 objects and replace some of them, in existing folders... yeah... fuck that fucking froze and hung forever... So... *sigh*, recompressing again... At least I don't have to redo the videos, holy shit those take so long...

The other thing to do (what I'ma work on during compression attempt #2) is the corrections from my editors/beta testers for some of the new scenes. I have a moderate backlog of corrections, so that will take me some time.

Then I want to do a full playthrough, looking for continuity errors and other possible issues. So, yeah... stuff to do still.

I do want/need to release today* (Jul 2 UTC time) or early (my time) the day after as I am on a time limit here due to other commitments. But, I'd like to give my editors a bit more time to go through the horrible mess I call writing and have a chance to fix my mistakes.

Also, also, a big shoutout to aaronminus and kimlana who have put a ton of time in over the past few weeks helping improve the dialogue of the early game days (and some select scenes further on). It really is (imo) a marked improvement over the original and I hope you'll all like it once you get a chance to play in the cuming days.

Anyhow... back to work...

Shark_inA-chiar

Sep 22, 2020
r3.6 Progress Report #9 - Jul 2@ 09:50 UTC (Task List)
Okay! First QC pass on scene 3 is all done! Now you might be thinking, awesome, release the game let us fucking play it already! (and also, oh shit, how did NM know what I was thinking? (and then, that too! they must be psychic!))...

Woah, hold your CHUDs there Bud(s), it still needs some working on...

Just because I made it through the content doesn't mean it's ready. Playable, yes. Ready, not so much. So what the heck is possibly left (I hear you scream through your screen)?!.

First is a big one, compression. I've been compression the images as I go, but SO much has changed that I really want to ensure none of them get left out. So ,I'm recompressing the full game to have a "final" set of images (no more image alteration at this point (or at least very, very limited ones if I have to).

I actually just finished that step (3hrs of background processing during the QC), and then promptly manage to fuck it right up but not deleting the old version first and trying to have windows MOVE 22,500 objects and replace some of them, in existing folders... yeah... fuck that fucking froze and hung forever... So... *sigh*, recompressing again... At least I don't have to redo the videos, holy shit those take so long...

The other thing to do (what I'ma work on during compression attempt #2) is the corrections from my editors/beta testers for some of the new scenes. I have a moderate backlog of corrections, so that will take me some time.

Then I want to do a full playthrough, looking for continuity errors and other possible issues. So, yeah... stuff to do still.

I do want/need to release today* (Jul 2 UTC time) or early (my time) the day after as I am on a time limit here due to other commitments. But, I'd like to give my editors a bit more time to go through the horrible mess I call writing and have a chance to fix my mistakes.

Also, also, a big shoutout to aaronminus and kimlana who have put a ton of time in over the past few weeks helping improve the dialogue of the early game days (and some select scenes further on). It really is (imo) a marked improvement over the original and I hope you'll all like it once you get a chance to play in the cuming days.

Anyhow... back to work...
I will pray for you when you pass on from over working Night Mirror
R I P.gif

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
r3.6 Progress Report #10 - Jul 2@ 20:50 UTC (Task List)
It's getting close, remember to pullout!... wait... the game's on birth control, I'm sure it will be fine...

*cough*

We are still on track for today* (depending on your time zone). In UTC time, technically tomorrow*, Jul 3rd for sure.

Here is what is happening behind the scenes. My awesome editors kimlana and aaronminus are furiously working away to find/fix as many of my fuckups as they can before I yolo it and upload. But things are looking goooooood~ so far!

I'm starting my full continuity pass right now. Play through the new stuff in one go (instead of jumping around) and make sure it all works/makes sense.

Once my editor have their corrections ready for me, I'll get those in, and re-check the changes.

So what is left?
  • Full QC (in progress)
  • Additional Editor Corrections (Pending)
  • Last Checks for the new changes
  • Spot check all the new systems again to see if any last minute bugs suddenly added themselves to the game just to fuck with me...
  • Build Project (Win/Linux/Mac/Android)
  • Test Project (Win/Android (on Android 12 device))
  • Upload (to Mega first... sorry) Win/Linux, Mac, Android in that order.
  • Enjoy release! (not sorry)
I also need to create the uncompressed image Patch (which I will do when I start the upload of the compressed versions) and test that works. And some other stuff that is just be checklistie items for me.

As a reminder:

There is no update ONLY patch file for r3.6, it will be full game only due to the scope of the changes.

Saves will not work from previous versions. I recommend you start a new game, but you can just as easily jump anywhere you want with Day Selector. (sorry again, I'm hoping this is the last time for a long while, but lots of tools to help you quickly rush to content if you want).

Lastly, if you do want to go directly to new content I STRONGLY recommend you start with the last (new) scene of Day 37 (clicking the "New" banner on the Day Selector menu will take you right to it). This is technically the continue point from the end of r3.5.

Anyhow... stay strong, stay awesome!

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
r3.6 Progress Report #11 - Jul 3@ 05:20 UTC (Task List)
Almost there, just a little harder~

*ahem* sorry... was typing dialogue in the wrong window there for a moment...

We are in the final stretchy here! Full pass QC is Done! Corrections documents are done! Me, kimlana, and aaronminus are all taking one last look at it to make sure everything works!

I'm in the process of the final QC pass right now. Playing the version (for windows (and assuming nothing goes wrong and I don't have to build it again)) that you will all have soon! I'm testing all the stuff (mostly looking for code errors OR missing images at the point).

The question you might be asking is, yeah, but when? It is still hard to give a down to the minute (or even the hour time) and my answer is... soon...

One more update post after this when I actually start the uploads most likely in the new few hours (I hope).

Stay awesome!

icelord3941

Feb 2, 2021
r3.6 Progress Report #11 - Jul 3@ 05:20 UTC (Task List)
Almost there, just a little harder~

*ahem* sorry... was typing dialogue in the wrong window there for a moment...

We are in the final stretchy here! Full pass QC is Done! Corrections documents are done! Me, kimlana, and aaronminus are all taking one last look at it to make sure everything works!

I'm in the process of the final QC pass right now. Playing the version (for windows (and assuming nothing goes wrong and I don't have to build it again)) that you will all have soon! I'm testing all the stuff (mostly looking for code errors OR missing images at the point).

The question you might be asking is, yeah, but when? It is still hard to give a down to the minute (or even the hour time) and my answer is... soon...

One more update post after this when I actually start the uploads most likely in the new few hours (I hope).

Stay awesome!
cant wait thanks for your hard work (y)

Renrut

Mar 6, 2020
r3.6 Progress Report #10 - Jul 2@ 20:50 UTC (Task List)
It's getting close, remember to pullout!... wait... the game's on birth control, I'm sure it will be fine...

*cough*
snip-

So what is left?
  • Full QC (in progress)
  • Additional Editor Corrections (Pending)
  • Last Checks for the new changes
  • Spot check all the new systems again to see if any last minute bugs suddenly added themselves to the game just to fuck with me...
  • Build Project (Win/Linux/Mac/Android)
  • Test Project (Win/Android (on Android 12 device))
  • Upload (to Mega first... sorry) Win/Linux, Mac, Android in that order.
  • Enjoy release! (not sorry)
I also need to create the uncompressed image Patch (which I will do when I start the upload of the compressed versions) and test that works. And some other stuff that is just be checklistie items for me.

snip-
See this right here? This is what all authors need to do. I would be a lot less disenfranchised if they told me what is next even if they were slow or a month(s) behind. Instead we get the '...geewhiz... my socks are too lose and my spoon fell in the garbage disposer ..blah blah blah shinychickens..."

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
OH wow!!!!!
That is one hell of a compression job you have done mate!!

LESS THAN 1GB?!?!?!? For the Full Game?!?!?!?!
Behold! The power of slicing! I actually used a less intense setting for images. Past game versions were set to the lowest quality, r3.6 is set to Medium compression. So smaller file size overall and better quality compressed version.

What's actually more impressive is the Uncompressed Images which went from ~6.5GB down to ~1.7GB

4.90 star(s) 97 Votes