Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
floating face
Previously reported and fixed.

Finished current version. I'm eager to have another Tricia, kitty and Actual jessica event as well as training female rick to continue the collector morty story line. Although I feel like there really should be more unity scenes to close out her route and actual scenes of visiting morty's gazrorpian daughter, natzi world, and anti morty.
We'll just have to wait for Ferdafs and see what happens. While I do make additional scenes, the general idea is that they can't (or at least need to limit) impacts on future content. So... for all these characters, Ferdafs has to make them first. Someday, we will get the mattress... maybe...

on the 11th while you're in the bathroom with your sister, when you ask if she's wearing birth control, this code breaks the normal translation, having to create a separate translation

Code:
 $ text_string = "I should find out if " + mcs.sum.n.my + mcs.sum.n.big + mcs.sum.n.sister + mcs.sum.n.sum + "'s taking birth control..."
this type of code

+ mcs.sum.n.my + mcs.sum.n.big + mcs.sum.n.sister + mcs.sum.n.sum +

ends up getting in the way of any normal translation
Hmmm, I would really prefer not to double up dialogue lines where I can avoid it. What are the negative effects of the separate translation having to deal with this code?

day 11 when you are abusing the sleeping mother
Fixed.

zerodead

Engaged Member
Jan 18, 2018
Previously reported and fixed.

We'll just have to wait for Ferdafs and see what happens. While I do make additional scenes, the general idea is that they can't (or at least need to limit) impacts on future content. So... for all these characters, Ferdafs has to make them first. Someday, we will get the mattress... maybe...

Hmmm, I would really prefer not to double up dialogue lines where I can avoid it. What are the negative effects of the separate translation having to deal with this code?

Fixed.
when the codes are separated from the text , I have to put the text in a file to force the translation , but if the code is between [ ] inside the text there are no problems when doing the translation

an example of the text with codes that would not give an error, it would be something like this

Code:
$ text_string = "I should find out if [mcs.sum.n.my][mcs.sum.n.big][mcs.sum.n.sister][mcs.sum.n.sum]'s taking birth control..."
in the case of forced translation, I would have to take the text and do like this

1666033859614.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Mirror

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
r3.7 Status Report

It has been a while since I've done a proper game status report (r3.6J threw a wrench in the normal flow of things (and it sounds like there might be more of that to come...)), and I've been thinking about doing one for a couple of days now. Ferdafs seemed to indicate end of October for new content (which means early November for us), but it also sounds like there are some medical issues that might either delay or reduce the content of that update. So how much of what, and when, we are going to get from Ferdafs is a bit unknown unfortunately.

I will still do my best to deliver in a timely manner (no major delay like we had with r3.6J, where I wasn't home and unable to do this kind of work). It will depend on how much content there is, but as always, I'll do regular update reports once I'm actively working with the new content.

For now, all I can do is talk about the stuff I've been working on! Which... isn't going to be very exciting... temper your expectations.

If you've been following along the last half dozens pages, a lot of corrections have been sent my way, and I've been fixing typos and art anomalies across the game. While it's not new content it is improvement.

I've also been hard at work continuing on blinks. I'm slowly (very, very slowly) closing in on having them finished, just a week and a half of game time left to fill.
1666032311078.png
Here is my current work sheet (ignore the numbers). Anything in green is blink completed (all days before and after this snap shot are done). It is a slow tedious process with no real automation (like I had with slicing). Some characters are very fast (like Morty, Summer, Morticia, and Jessica) and other characters are very, very slow, (anyone with eye lashes, such as Beth and Tricia).

Luckily, this isn't a task that HAS to be completed before r3.7 (with r3.6J update only some of the blinks were done), so there is no deadline. But I would like to get it done and out of the way.

There is also a small new interaction between Summer and Morticia WAYYY back in day 3. JLP603 pointed out that there is never actually an intro scene between the two. So I added a brief interaction, nothing groundbreaking just extra dialogue.

I also have a new "major" choice I wanted to roll out with the next update, but... well, the short version is that I'm having trouble getting it to fit (that's what she said). I haven't given up on it, as I think its inclusion would be of benefit to some players. But everywhere I try to stick it feels... unnatural (mostly too early or too late). I'm going to give it one more week of dev time here, but if I can't get it to work, I'll most likely pull it out.

Along the line of things coming out, the new Wild Summer at the Pool scene has stalled. I haven't heard from sassy_mendigo for a while now (I hope you are doing okay!) but I'm going to pull it's placeholder out of the game for r3.7. Again, there is no rush to make this scene, it can always be put back in later if when I hear from sassy_mendigo again, and they want to keep working on it. But, without art I can't move forward on it.

Beyond fixes, there is no other new content (from me) planned. Yes, I know the request list is getting big, but again, it is just the request list, not the coming soon(tm) list. I will give it a once over (again) today, and see if there are any small things I can slip in (that's what she said), but most of it is large edits (often with art I don't have/can't make).

Anyhow... thanks for reading. Thanks for playing! Stay awesome!

zerodead

Engaged Member
Jan 18, 2018
in this file you can see the amount of text that I had to force the translation to appear in the game, as I didn't want to edit the original files and in the translation of the tl folder I wasn't accepting it, this was the only way the texts get translated, and I'm still on the 12th

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
when the codes are separated from the text , I have to put the text in a file to force the translation , but if the code is between [ ] inside the text there are no problems when doing the translation

an example of the text with codes that would not give an error, it would be something like this
Unfortunately, this code won't work:
Code:
$ text_string = "I should find out if [mcs.sum.n.my][mcs.sum.n.big][mcs.sum.n.sister][mcs.sum.n.sum]'s taking birth control..."
String interpolation is only processed once (not recursively), so if a variable has additional interpolation in it, then I try to interpolate that variable again, anything between "[]" will display as plain text, and not the variable value.

As an example:
Python:
$ text_string = "Some words here"
$ text_string1 = "More [text_string]"

name "[text_string1]"
would show: "More [text_string1]"
instead of: "More Some words here"

The only way I know to do it, is duplicate the code:
Python:
    if auto_menu.enabled==1:
        mt "I should find out if [mcs.sum.n.my][mcs.sum.n.big][mcs.sum.n.sister][mcs.sum.n.sum]'s taking birth control..."
        if auto_menu.nbc:
            $ temp_tracker = True
    else:
        menu:
            mt "I should find out if [mcs.sum.n.my][mcs.sum.n.big][mcs.sum.n.sister][mcs.sum.n.sum]'s taking birth control..."
Which I would prefer not to do.

So, I guess my real question here is: what are the player negatives of doing it this way? I see that there is a lot of entries in the additional file, but other than having to put them in another file, is there any additional negatives to the user experience?

zerodead

Engaged Member
Jan 18, 2018
Unfortunately, this code won't work:
Code:
String interpolation is only processed once (not recursively), so if a variable has additional interpolation in it, then I try to interpolate that variable again, anything between "[]" will display as plain text, and not the variable value.

As an example:
Python:
$ text_string = "Some words here"
$ text_string1 = "More [text_string]"

name "[text_string1]"
would show: "More [text_string1]"
instead of: "More Some words here"

The only way I know to do it, is duplicate the code:
Python:
    if auto_menu.enabled==1:
        if auto_menu.nbc:
            $ temp_tracker = True
    else:
        menu:
Which I would prefer not to do.

So, I guess my real question here is: what are the player negatives of doing it this way? I see that there is a lot of entries in the additional file, but other than having to put them in another file, is there any additional negatives to the user experience?
of the user does not change anything, only for those who want to translate the texts

if I take the text to do the translation like this

Code:
# game/scripts/story/day_0011.rpy
    old "I should find out if " + mcs.sum.n.my + mcs.sum.n.big + mcs.sum.n.sister + mcs.sum.n.sum + "'s taking birth control..."
    new "Eu deveria descobrir se " + mcs.sum.n.my + mcs.sum.n.big + mcs.sum.n.sister + mcs.sum.n.sum + " está tomando anticoncepcional ..."
1666036479491.png

but if the code is like this, there will be no error in the game

Code:
    old "I should find out if [mcs.sum.n.my][mcs.sum.n.big][mcs.sum.n.sister][mcs.sum.n.sum]'s taking birth control..."
    new "Eu deveria descobrir se [mcs.sum.n.my][mcs.sum.n.big][mcs.sum.n.sister][mcs.sum.n.sum] está tomando anticoncepcional ..."
for me to solve this problem with the translation, I have to use a forced text code

Code:
init python:

import re
    def replace_text(t):
        if _preferences.language == "PortuguesBR":

t = t.replace("I should find out if " , "Eu deveria descobrir se ")
                t = t.replace("my big sister" , "minha grande irmã")
                t = t.replace("'s taking birth control..." , " esta tomando anticoncepcional...")
        return t
    config.replace_text = replace_text
that is , instead of using only 1 texts , I have to separate and create 3 texts to show the translation in the game

1666036546648.png
1666036561874.png

EDIT: one thing I forgot to mention, I use the SDK program to translate

texts that are in the codes $ text_string = or in $ msgs.add_chat( ,

the program does not get the texts that are in these codes, so it has to be done manually

1666037287875.png
1666037312143.png
1666037402756.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Mirror

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
of the user does not change anything, only for those who want to translate the texts

if I take the text to do the translation like this

Code:
    old "I should find out if " + mcs.sum.n.my + mcs.sum.n.big + mcs.sum.n.sister + mcs.sum.n.sum + "'s taking birth control..."
    new "Eu deveria descobrir se " + mcs.sum.n.my + mcs.sum.n.big + mcs.sum.n.sister + mcs.sum.n.sum + " está tomando anticoncepcional ..."
The reason this doesn't work is that "old" and "new" pattern replacement don't permit string concatenation, only interpolation.

I'll change the ones I can (duplicating dialogue instead of having it once (which, I'd prefer not to do (but a quick search says it's only in 61 places in the game)), but I won't be able to change it everywhere, so an additional file will still be needed for some of them, even with the change over.

zerodead

Engaged Member
Jan 18, 2018
The reason this doesn't work is that "old" and "new" pattern replacement don't permit string concatenation, only interpolation.

I'll change the ones I can (duplicating dialogue instead of having it once (which, I'd prefer not to do (but a quick search says it's only in 61 places in the game)), but I won't be able to change it everywhere, so an additional file will still be needed for some of them, even with the change over.
the only problem with the translation , and when a dialog line has the texts separated , when creating the translation , the old and new codes do not accept the separated texts only together

why , the codes of the names of the characters that have the + in the codes , get in the way when doing the translation

" + mcs.morty.name + "

to have no error, the best code is the [mcs.morty.name]

Oct 12, 2018
Day 36. when choosing which summer should come to the movie night, if choosing old summer her lines still play as if i chose new summer. Even her "name tag" is blue instead of orange. 1666041152010.png
But only for the first 3 lines. After that her lines switch back to old summers.
1666041238640.png
If it means anything, i chose new summer first and scrolled back a little later to choose old summer.
Sorry it this was mentioned already, i searched for "day 36" in this thread but didn't find anyone mentioning it.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Day 36. when choosing which summer should come to the movie night, if choosing old summer her lines still play as if i chose new summer. Even her "name tag" is blue instead of orange.

But only for the first 3 lines. After that her lines switch back to old summers.

If it means anything, i chose new summer first and scrolled back a little later to choose old summer.
Sorry it this was mentioned already, i searched for "day 36" in this thread but didn't find anyone mentioning it.
I'm aware, of the issue, it has been corrected for the next version. But thanks for letting me know.

Reactions: ManOfCulture88

Vadginator

Oct 1, 2019
:LOL:

I ran a search on this thread for "precum" wondering if anyone else was wondering why the protagonist seems to be gushing bucketloads of it in every scene. Found the above treasure.

It's just really weird. That's not how precum works at all. And in the scenes where there's so much that it lubricates his cock, like the thigh-fucking Beth scene... Just... no. wtf :LOL:

zerodead

Engaged Member
Jan 18, 2018
Night Mirror on the 13th when he uses the hypnotic frog, this text and using with the option of incest with the mother on or off, instead of him saying beth when incest is off, he still calls mom

Code:
    # m "Mom, [mcs.morti.name]! Remove each other's tops! And-and [d13_1_morty_name], rub [mcs.beth.n.mom!cl][mcs.beth.n.beth]'s boobs!"
and the code [d13_1_morty_name] is not the code that is used for morticia's nickname while she is hypnotized

the correct code would be [d13_1_morti_name!cl]

\/
Code:
    m "[mcs.beth.n.mom!cl][mcs.beth.n.beth], [d13_1_morti_name!cl]! Remove each other's tops! And-and [d13_1_morti_name!cl!], rub [mcs.beth.n.mom!cl][mcs.beth.n.beth]'s boobs!"
1666186591142.png

Code:
   # m "Mom, [mcs.morti.name], for the next hour, you two will be extremely horny lesbians."
\/
Code:
   # m "[mcs.beth.n.mom!cl][mcs.beth.n.beth], [d13_1_morti_name!cl], for the next hour, you two will be extremely horny lesbians."
1666186965932.png

Code:
    # mt "I'm watching [mcs.beth.n.my][mcs.beth.n.mom][mcs.beth.n.beth] finger [mcs.morti.n.my][mcs.morti.n.twin][mcs.morti.n.sister]... while [mcs.sum.n.my][mcs.sum.n.big][mcs.sum.n.sister][mcs.sum.n.sum] licks my dick!"
\/
Code:
    # mt "I'm watching [mcs.beth.n.my][mcs.beth.n.mom][mcs.beth.n.beth] finger [mcs.morti.n.my][mcs.morti.n.twin][mcs.morti.n.sister][mcs.morti.n.morti]... while [mcs.sum.n.my][mcs.sum.n.big][mcs.sum.n.sister][mcs.sum.n.sum] licks my dick!"
1666188502161.png

Last edited:

kenta16807

Oct 1, 2020
...That's not how precum works at all....
In this Sci-fi game with portals, mindcontrol, aliens and the Devil running around - that's your biggest peeve ? :LOL:

It's a recurring theme in lots of hentai comics, guess that's where it stems from ?

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
The disagrees. Look for the !i flag.
Thanks for the heads up. I've read that section more than a few times and just never spotted the "i" flag before, the documentation can be really great at hiding things in plain sight.

It's just really weird. That's not how precum works at all. And in the scenes where there's so much that it lubricates his cock, like the thigh-fucking Beth scene... Just... no. wtf :LOL:
"Precum" is a bit overused by Ferdafs (and I'm sure I also stuffed some more in at some points to stay on style). It's honestly something that never bothered me very much. But I assume it similar to things like "moist", different people have different levels of reactions to it.

Night Mirror on the 13th when he uses the hypnotic frog, this text and using with the option of incest with the mother on or off, instead of him saying beth when incest is off, he still calls mom
Fixed.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
zerodead
I have removed all mid string concatenation from the game, hopefully this should alleviate this issue in future updates.

So this will be the norm going forward:
Python:
mt "[text_string!i]"
When there are variables, inside variables.

EDIT: one thing I forgot to mention, I use the SDK program to translate

texts that are in the codes $ text_string = or in $ msgs.add_chat( ,

the program does not get the texts that are in these codes, so it has to be done manually
There isn't much I can do about $ msgs.add_chat() function, since that is how the chat system is built (but chat text shouldn't change that often (and isn't used that much in game)). I did reduce a few of the $ text_string replacements where inline substitution will work, but there are only so many I can take out. I don't know what else I can do to improve ease of use with these, but if there is something you think would help you out, let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate.

Thank you again for all your help with this! I know it's a lot of extra work on top of what you are already doing, and hopefully we can reach a point where translation for this game is much less tedious for you.

zerodead

Engaged Member
Jan 18, 2018
zerodead
I have removed all mid string concatenation from the game, hopefully this should alleviate this issue in future updates.

So this will be the norm going forward:
Python:
mt "[text_string!i]"
When there are variables, inside variables.

There isn't much I can do about $ msgs.add_chat() function, since that is how the chat system is built (but chat text shouldn't change that often (and isn't used that much in game)). I did reduce a few of the $ text_string replacements where inline substitution will work, but there are only so many I can take out. I don't know what else I can do to improve ease of use with these, but if there is something you think would help you out, let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate.

Thank you again for all your help with this! I know it's a lot of extra work on top of what you are already doing, and hopefully we can reach a point where translation for this game is much less tedious for you.
texts that are in the codes $ msgs.add_chat() does not need to change , it was more a warning , that the SDK program does not get the texts of this code

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I needed a break from drawing blinks today (I am really not feeling them and my progress is horrible...), so instead I fucked around and made this!

Behold!
1666320743559.png
While not done, and very rough on the UI side (mostly I just wanted to get the fucking thing working) it is functional. But WTF is it?!

This is a character poser. It lets me load the character images from my game and see how they would display in renpy. It also lets me pose characters, selecting clothing and facial poses from dynamic drop downs. Or, in short, it is a WAY more advanced version of this:
expression_sheet.png

The neat part is that I designed to be game agnostic. So, in theory, any game that also poses characters using layerimages should work with this. It isn't finished yet, but so far, I'm liking it a lot. I'm hoping it will help when the next update drops.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Alright, I put a few more hours in on this today cleaning things up and adding the last major features I wanted:
char_poser_1_char_example.png char_poser_1_bg_example.png

Here is what version 1 looks like.

In image #1 I'm using it to pose a character (I just picked parts at random). The top text bar automatically updates the pose code for me. When I have the pose I want, I can just click copy and it will give me the code to go directly into the game. This text bar also accepts code, so I can copy and paste from the game into the application and it will set the pose in the tool (great for editing a pose).

In image #2 I'm using it for backgrounds. This solves two issues for me in one because both image types were a headache for me to deal with.

Character posing can get complex with all the different parts (and my cheat sheet only had brows/mouths (also, it was out of date, missing some expressions)), often leading to me stopping to look up part names. It also means I can see a pose while working on it, instead of having to imagine what it will look like in my head, or reload the game (a very time consuming, tedious task) to check different expressions in scene.

Backgrounds also present an issue, in that often I'm just working with sliced parts. So I'll have a mouth, or a brow, and the rest of the image is transparent. Now I have the full image to work with, making the process much cleaner. Additionally, because these load the same way Renpy does (i.e. in the same layer order), using the same files Renpy is using, I'll be able to spot errors much earlier in the process.

It still isn't perfect and there are some image elements it still can't process right. Additionally when I'm working with multiple characters or backgrounds, I have to run the application several times, to keep each one loaded and visible. But for my needs its does pretty much what I want. It also BADLY needs some code cleanup and refactoring (a problem for future me to deal with). But it's good enough for now.

Anyhow... I know it isn't directly game related. It is more about the tools and stuff I use to make it, but I thought it was interesting enough to share. I might even put it up as a free tool on F95zone at some point, but the code is still a bit hacky in some places so it's not ready for public release (sorry to anyone that wanted to play with it).

And now that I've stalled as long as I can... back to drawing fucking blinks...

4.90 star(s) 99 Votes