taglag

Aug 6, 2019
Your original post was kind of vague, it could be read as "wow, you're going so quick, the other update just came out!" or "Uh, you do know the update is out already, right?" (meaning lack of knowledge of the two versions).
Are maybe they thought there was some kind of conspiracy to hide update's, and no one was informed :) >> (I mean I saw things like this in the twilight zone once... )

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Editing still in progress. As I said before, we are spending a bit more time with it than on previous releases. This is both to make the game the best possible version we can, and not to grind our faces into the ground.

I have a fair bit of time while I'm pending corrections and don't have much more I can really do while I wait. So, I figured I'd share my random thoughts about something else entirely.

This post jumps off the deep end to talk about the animations. What they are, what my goals with them (eventually) are, and some of the stuff I've been trying to get them there. This is going to be a long post, if you don't really care how the sausage gets made, this is your point to bail out, because it's all down the rabbit hole from here on out!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Soup_Man

Oct 23, 2018
May have regretted saying taking your time, but I live by my word, so keep up the good work. Rome wasn't built in a day, and it's not like this will take as long as Ferdafs makes an update.

P.S. Don't forget about Mother's Day...(I'll be honest I didn't know what to put in the "P.S. section" in my comment and it kinda sounds creepy, sorry couldn't think of anything better.)

~Love Soup, "r3.8 is average, don't beat yourself up about it, its long enough"

MangoCoco

Sep 28, 2020
Editing still in progress. As I said before, we are spending a bit more time with it than on previous releases. This is both to make the game the best possible version we can, and not to grind our faces into the ground.

I have a fair bit of time while I'm pending corrections and don't have much more I can really do while I wait. So, I figured I'd share my random thoughts about something else entirely.

This post jumps off the deep end to talk about the animations. What they are, what my goals with them (eventually) are, and some of the stuff I've been trying to get them there. This is going to be a long post, if you don't really care how the sausage gets made, this is your point to bail out, because it's all down the rabbit hole from here on out!

Today I learn NM have a intense desire to have everything neatly and organize. btw, totally unrelated, how does this picture makes you feel.

1683498377691.png

Smudgey

Nov 7, 2017

As someone who always downloads the uncompressed image pack, I'd rather not see the animation quality suffer in exchange for file space. Hopefully an optimal solution can be found.

bombulum

Jul 5, 2017
Morticia mentions having to send a picture of her o-face near the end of day three's scene "bathroom line" but she only promises that in day three's last event "Truth or Dare"

Reactions: Night Mirror

aaronminus

Oct 13, 2021
Morticia mentions having to send a picture of her o-face near the end of day three's scene "bathroom line" but she only promises that in day three's last event "Truth or Dare"
It’s been fixed!

Thanks for your patience everyone, the to-do list was a bit bigger than usual this time around. Also, this’ll be the first update where sleep and meals haven’t been skipped to meet crunch. Excited to get it in your hands when its ready!

Hupia

Nov 25, 2020

So at the risk of coming off as a total dickhead, the only answer to the animation dilemma (other than making your own) would be to do some god-level video editing (most likely with photoshop) but I feel like that is already something you tried and it just ended up just not working or just too time consuming, or both.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
As someone who always downloads the uncompressed image pack, I'd rather not see the animation quality suffer in exchange for file space. Hopefully an optimal solution can be found.
A primary condition of doing anything to the animations is that they can't be lower quality. Slicing while not having zero impact on the image quality (a few have slipped through with odd gaps, but when I find them (or people report them) I fix them) it does let me put them out as a non-compressed version (vs the 5.8GBs they were before slicing).

I'd love a similar thing for animations, an uncompressed version for people (currently ~7GB uncompressed for the videos), but alas, I fear it is most likely never going to be the case.

So at the risk of coming off as a total dickhead, the only answer to the animation dilemma (other than making your own) would be to do some god-level video editing (most likely with photoshop) but I feel like that is already something you tried and it just ended up just not working or just too time consuming, or both.
I'm not sure how photoshop editing would really help here. I already have several video editing (and image editing) tools at my disposal. And I can't make the animations smaller as video (while keeping them the same duration, if I make them all 1 second long, then sure, I can cut the size down to around 100MBs but then they would be crap).

The problem isn't getting the animations, or even their parts, it's how the animations are played back by the game.

Right now they are video files, which, for all the reasons above, uses a lot of disk space, that I can't really make any smaller. Even with video compression (and additional compression on top of that), they are pretty big. But, if we look at just the parts that make up the animations (the files the Unity game uses) they're only around ~170MB. The Live2D plugin and Unity Engine put all the parts together in engine, and render the animation in real time.

This means Unity Engine only needs the animation model parts, and a data file describing those parts, to play them back, files that are tiny in size. I don't have those data files (not the whole files anyhow), and even if I did, what I have access to isn't compatible with Renpy.

aaronminus

Oct 13, 2021
A primary condition of doing anything to the animations is that they can't be lower quality. Slicing while not having zero impact on the image quality (a few have slipped through with odd gaps, but when I find them (or people report them) I fix them) it does let me put them out as a non-compressed version (vs the 5.8GBs they were before slicing).

I'd love a similar thing for animations, an uncompressed version for people (currently ~7GB uncompressed for the videos), but alas, I fear it is most likely never going to be the case.

I'm not sure how photoshop editing would really help here. I already have several video editing (and image editing) tools at my disposal. And I can't make the animations smaller as video (while keeping them the same duration, if I make them all 1 second long, then sure, I can cut the size down to around 100MBs but then they would be crap).

The problem isn't getting the animations, or even their parts, it's how the animations are played back by the game.

Right now they are video files, which, for all the reasons above, uses a lot of disk space, that I can't really make any smaller. Even with video compression (and additional compression on top of that), they are pretty big. But, if we look at just the parts that make up the animations (the files the Unity game uses) they're only around ~170MB. The Live2D plugin and Unity Engine put all the parts together in engine, and render the animation in real time.

This means Unity Engine only needs the animation model parts, and a data file describing those parts, to play them back, files that are tiny in size. I don't have those data files (not the whole files anyhow), and even if I did, what I have access to isn't compatible with Renpy.
So, brain small, but Renpy claims to have Live2D support in their documentation. Is it not featured enough to do what Ferdafs does with Unity?

As for getting the Live2D files, would something like this be useful?

Reactions: Night Mirror

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
So, brain small, but Renpy claims to have Live2D support in their documentation. Is it not featured enough to do what Ferdafs does with Unity?
Sadly Live2D is only sort of supported by Renpy (my testing with it has been a mixed bag at best). Mac needs some extra stuff to get it to work (maybe) and it won't work with android at all.

I will check out the Live2D extractor and see if it gives me anything useful.

4.90 star(s) 99 Votes