• We're currently performing maintenance on the search system, we'll get it back ASAP.

Levirre

May 31, 2020
Progress Report #5 FEB 3 @ 20:25 UTC:
All the main artwork from the 3.9 Unity update is now in the main files for the Renpy game! Yay! I haven't tested to see if it actually works yet (or has problems, I've been at it for 10 hours today and I need a break), but the main implementation is completed!

Still a few big things I need to do, first up is video editing and export (which is a couple hours), then on to the scene alterations I want to make (which is... more time...). All told, I should be able to wrap up everything on my end by the 5th~ish? Maybe? Then the BETA goes out for review by aaronminus and will be pending dialogue revisions.

I still don't have a solid date for when it will all be ready, I'm dealing with other big work projects eating into my time at the moment, and on the 10th I'll be away for a week, in an area with limited internet access (and no work computer), so it is either done before that, or after I get back.

Anyhow, thanks for being awesome!

Thank you Night Mirror and Aaronminus for providing the extra content while Ferdafs was MIA. I'd def be fine if you implemented your route as an alternate ending while Ferdafs continues. I especially enjoyed the Multiverse scene + the Tricia scenes you guys created.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022
Progress Report #5 FEB 3 @ 20:25 UTC:
All the main artwork from the 3.9 Unity update is now in the main files for the Renpy game! Yay! I haven't tested to see if it actually works yet (or has problems, I've been at it for 10 hours today and I need a break), but the main implementation is completed!

Still a few big things I need to do, first up is video editing and export (which is a couple hours), then on to the scene alterations I want to make (which is... more time...). All told, I should be able to wrap up everything on my end by the 5th~ish? Maybe? Then the BETA goes out for review by aaronminus and will be pending dialogue revisions.

I still don't have a solid date for when it will all be ready, I'm dealing with other big work projects eating into my time at the moment, and on the 10th I'll be away for a week, in an area with limited internet access (and no work computer), so it is either done before that, or after I get back.

Anyhow, thanks for being awesome!
Bud is rolling at the speed of sound over here! Nothing short of amazing dude. But you don't have to rush it. If you have to leave for a week its cool

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I haven't watched any episodes of rick and morty, can i still enjoy?
It is a parody, so the more you know about the show, the more you'll get out of it (some inside joke won't land, obviously). That being said (hopefully) you should be able to enjoy the game without having much show knowledge beyond the basic premises of what Rick and Morty is (they travel to other universe and have wacky adventures).

Other people in the past have played it with no prior show knowledge and still enjoyed it (at least the ones that have posted about it here), but only you can decide if it lands for you. It is free, so it's only a bit of your time to give it a try, and maybe find something you enjoy!

Wise007

Aug 21, 2019
Just as a question from a lurker to this thread for a while now. Has there been any thought given to using some of the 'extra' art that ferdafs has made for the game as 'promotional material' with some minor changes? The example I could throw out there would be the two Beths for Christmas.

Reactions: Night Mirror

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Just as a question from a lurker to this thread for a while now. Has there been any thought given to using some of the 'extra' art that ferdafs has made for the game as 'promotional material' with some minor changes? The example I could throw out there would be the two Beths for Christmas.
For the most part, I haven't really considered it. Mostly I try and stick to what is in the game, and a lot of the other art doesn't seem to fit. That being said, I did include the "loading screen" images he made a while back as trading cards that Morticia finds early on.

Wise007

Aug 21, 2019
I was thinking that they could be included somewhere (either to expound upon existing scenes) or for something within the gallery/phone (like Beth's Christmas Snapchat). Just something to add a little more "meat" to each scene so that you wouldn't have to add more art but could incorporate more into the game.

Needless to say, this version of the game is leagues ahead of what we get from ferdafs but I'm resubbing so we could get more. I imagine that this project is the real people have any interest in his Patreon at all.

JinxyJack

Jun 15, 2022
So Ferdafs is back from his hiatus, my question now is what's going too happen with the ending you and others worked so hard to finish? I can speak for others and just say we was looking forward for your own conclusion to this project. Like will you keep going and finish it? Will you make a choice in the game to change the ending? I think the best way to keep both your ending as well as Ferdafs continuation his having Morty dream up this ending after waking up from getting killed by Rick after space Christmas or maybe it can be made as it's own ending if Morty chose to stay in the universe and stop looking for points after talking to the collector.

Last edited:

JLucci

Mar 31, 2018
So Ferdafs is back from his hiatus, my question now is what's going too happen with the ending you and others worked so hard to finish? I can speak for others and just say we was looking forward for your own conclusion to this project. Like will you keep going and finish it? Will you make a choice in the game to change the ending? I think the best way to keep both your ending as well as Ferdafs continuation his having Morty dream up this ending after waking up from getting killed by Rick after space Christmas or maybe it can be made as it's own ending if Morty chose to stay in the universe and stop looking for points after talking to the collector.
This screenshot was on a post just one page back:
1706954080717.png

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Some things I know for sure, others I'm still trying to decide, and still others I just don't know (mostly because they depend on what Ferdafs will do).

Things I know for sure:
Part 5 is being released in the next update (because it is mostly done). Part 6 will go on hold (meaning I have no release plans for it at the moment). The ending is not being removed (or turned into a dream sequence, or anything of that nature), it WILL be an ending in the game. Even if Ferdafs ever does his own ending, I'll find a way to keep both. The ending will most likely have to be shifted to a new day in game and I'm currently thinking about how I want to make that work within the game system (and what story elements need to be adjusted).

Things I'm not sure about:
Right now I don't now if I'm going to keep releasing the ending or not. It will keep getting worked on as I have time, but there isn't a need to rush it (for now), and it won't come out on it's own. As to being released in future updates (like r4.0 (I assume that is the next version Ferdafs will put out, even though it should be 3.10, but whatever...)), right now I can't say. While I'd prefer to not leave people hanging with an incomplete ending, there are several problems with pushing forward (more things that might have to change, and once the story is "completed" it changes what the game is, and how people see it).

Things I don't know:
A lot... Oh, related to the game! Well, obviously I have no clue what Ferdafs will do next. The first major conflict will be when Space Beth shows up again, as her new content HAS to go after day 38. Plus there are only so many past spots scenes can go in, so I'll have to find a way to shift the ending sooner rather than later. There may also be things Ferdafs does that require us to make changes to the ending (although, for the most part I don't think that will be the case? But who knows...)

Or, the short version, I'll do my best to keep things as intact as possible, while accommodating new content, but I'm most likely not going to make more "future" content.

Delfine23

Jun 15, 2023
Hey Night Mirror, first of all thank you for your work. Also thank you for communicating your plans, this is something I really appreciate about you. Reading all the new posts from time to time, I have realised, that I don't know what you are doing. You say you slice images and export stuff and all that sounds good but I don't really know what it means. If you ever feel like it, I would love to see a short video on how you work, what goes into publishing your content, including the work arronminus does. I know this is a lot to ask and I don't expect you to do it.

Anyways have a great week :)

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Hey Night Mirror, first of all thank you for your work. Also thank you for communicating your plans, this is something I really appreciate about you. Reading all the new posts from time to time, I have realised, that I don't know what you are doing. You say you slice images and export stuff and all that sounds good but I don't really know what it means. If you ever feel like it, I would love to see a short video on how you work, what goes into publishing your content, including the work arronminus does. I know this is a lot to ask and I don't expect you to do it.

Anyways have a great week :)
Video no. But sure, I'll give you a quick break down of some of the processes involved in making an update.

First up is text capture. I need all the dialogue form the Unity game. I used to get this by typing it all by hand (fucking yuck), then some OCR, which transcribed a lot of mistakes. Those had a lot of issues, not the least of which is typos. Now, I just modify a bit of game code (using dnSpy to open the fungus DLL, and slip some custom code into the SayDialogue function) to output text as it displays on screen, and completely hide the text box (for clean image captures).

(I also do some search and replace reformorting, such as adding speaker names for text, or replacing character names with variables, stuff like that).

Once I have the script, I have to pull out all the images (and videos (windows+G)). I use two tools for getting images. One is a mod from this site called Texture Replacer, which lets me dump all the images out of a scene (great for getting backgrounds and texture files (used for character puppets and animations). The second is a simplistic bit of python I wrote to click and capture images out of the game. I used to get images via image extraction, but Ferdafs has started using file optimization via Atlasing which makes most image unusable (example below).
after0_43 001_11371dd449d16546adcf5ae11fdb93e2.png

Once I have the images, the next step is sorting the images into folders so they all match, then slicing, or cutting away the parts of the images that don't change. For the new content from 3.9, before image slicing the file size of all the images is roughly around 190MB. After slicing the file size is 36MB (and after compression it will be 5~8mb).

So how does slicing work? It's simple to understand, slightly tedious to do.

I built an automated script that (mostly) gets the job done, but sometimes gives me fun outputs like this one:
summer_slice.png

All slicing is, is a difference between a background and foreground layer. I cut out only what is changing (creating a "slice" of the base image) and this lets me remove the parts of the image that are the same, and only include a file that has what is different. There are several ways I can implement it in game, but they all boil down to a layeredimage that I can simply change which "overlay" displays on top of the background.

So, for example, here is a background, the second image with a new mouth, then a difference layer (in clip studio) between the two, and the final sliced image:
0.png mortypushedonlocker2.png difflayer.png 1.png

The sliced image is transparent, except the part that is changing, making the file size tiny. This lets me put out an uncompressed image set that isn't 10GBs. I'll often have to go in and clean up sliced images by hand, my script is imperfect and sometimes causes extra noise. Or, sometimes more than one thing is changing, so I'll make that it's own overlay element for more image control.

The main goal is to both make it small, and easy for me to work with. This is all just prep work and varries in how much time it takes me. If slicing is smooth, than it's fast. If I have to "fix" every image, then it can take days.

Implemntaiton (putting all the assets into the game) mostly invovles me launching the Unity game on one screen, and my IDE on another, and matching up what images go where (and making adjustments as needed). I built another tool to help me with this, the Layered Image Poser (which I uploaded to this site for others to use). It lets me re-combine images and copy/paste code directly.

(Also video capture and editing (to make them loop), nothing special here, but usually has to be done).

Once all the content is in, I'll sometimes add exrtas or alterations (in addition to anything I changed during implmentation) then playing it over and over and over and over looking for mistskes.

When I'm happy with the scene (or can't stand to look at it anymore), I send a BETA build (unfinished game files, that may have bugs or placeholder elements) off to aaronminus for dailogue editing and review (and aaron can talk about that side of the workflow if desired). Then I get revised file(s) back, implment the reivisions via text difference, and depending on time, possibly send it out for additional passes.

Then more testing... and when I can't find anything else (or again, can't stand to look at it anymore), I make the final builds and upload them, then do one last check on the final files (looking for crashes, not typos), and if everything is good, release it.

I hope that explains it well enough?

LukeCwalker

Feb 4, 2024
Video no. But sure, I'll give you a quick break down of some of the processes involved in making an update.

First up is text capture. I need all the dialogue form the Unity game. I used to get this by typing it all by hand (fucking yuck), then some OCR, which transcribed a lot of mistakes. Those had a lot of issues, not the least of which is typos. Now, I just modify a bit of game code (using dnSpy to open the fungus DLL, and slip some custom code into the SayDialogue function) to output text as it displays on screen, and completely hide the text box (for clean image captures).

(I also do some search and replace reformorting, such as adding speaker names for text, or replacing character names with variables, stuff like that).

Once I have the script, I have to pull out all the images (and videos (windows+G)). I use two tools for getting images. One is a mod from this site called Texture Replacer, which lets me dump all the images out of a scene (great for getting backgrounds and texture files (used for character puppets and animations). The second is a simplistic bit of python I wrote to click and capture images out of the game. I used to get images via image extraction, but Ferdafs has started using file optimization via Atlasing which makes most image unusable (example below).
View attachment 3328008

Once I have the images, the next step is sorting the images into folders so they all match, then slicing, or cutting away the parts of the images that don't change. For the new content from 3.9, before image slicing the file size of all the images is roughly around 190MB. After slicing the file size is 36MB (and after compression it will be 5~8mb).

So how does slicing work? It's simple to understand, slightly tedious to do.

I built an automated script that (mostly) gets the job done, but sometimes gives me fun outputs like this one:
View attachment 3328022

All slicing is, is a difference between a background and foreground layer. I cut out only what is changing (creating a "slice" of the base image) and this lets me remove the parts of the image that are the same, and only include a file that has what is different. There are several ways I can implement it in game, but they all boil down to a layeredimage that I can simply change which "overlay" displays on top of the background.

So, for example, here is a background, the second image with a new mouth, then a difference layer (in clip studio) between the two, and the final sliced image:
View attachment 3328028 View attachment 3328107 View attachment 3328045 View attachment 3328031

The sliced image is transparent, except the part that is changing, making the file size tiny. This lets me put out an uncompressed image set that isn't 10GBs. I'll often have to go in and clean up sliced images by hand, my script is imperfect and sometimes causes extra noise. Or, sometimes more than one thing is changing, so I'll make that it's own overlay element for more image control.

The main goal is to both make it small, and easy for me to work with. This is all just prep work and varries in how much time it takes me. If slicing is smooth, than it's fast. If I have to "fix" every image, then it can take days.

Implemntaiton (putting all the assets into the game) mostly invovles me launching the Unity game on one screen, and my IDE on another, and matching up what images go where (and making adjustments as needed). I built another tool to help me with this, the Layered Image Poser (which I uploaded to this site for others to use). It lets me re-combine images and copy/paste code directly.

(Also video capture and editing (to make them loop), nothing special here, but usually has to be done).

Once all the content is in, I'll sometimes add exrtas or alterations (in addition to anything I changed during implmentation) then playing it over and over and over and over looking for mistskes.

When I'm happy with the scene (or can't stand to look at it anymore), I send a BETA build (unfinished game files, that may have bugs or placeholder elements) off to aaronminus for dailogue editing and review (and aaron can talk about that side of the workflow if desired). Then I get revised file(s) back, implment the reivisions via text difference, and depending on time, possibly send it out for additional passes.

Then more testing... and when I can't find anything else (or again, can't stand to look at it anymore), I make the final builds and upload them, then do one last check on the final files (looking for crashes, not typos), and if everything is good, release it.

I hope that explains it well enough?
What you do is incredible, I have absolutely no gauge on how long this would possibly take but it seems like you're working at light speed compared to other creators. Great job, keep it up :)

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
What you do is incredible, I have absolutely no gauge on how long this would possibly take but it seems like you're working at light speed compared to other creators. Great job, keep it up :)
I don't have to draw the art, make the animations, or write the script (when bringing over content), I just have to adapt it, which is much faster. When I was working on the ending, things were a LOT slower for me.

aaronminus

Oct 13, 2021
Very similar to my process as well minus NightMirror considering i work solo majority of the time. How long do you take doing the scripts and dialogues when planning?
I don’t keep a time use breakdown, but if I had to guess I’d say planning is about 2 hours or so. Like I said pass 1 itself is the vast majority of time spent.
The implication you're so invested in the project you forgo sleep - probably why this mod had been consistently been so polished. I salute~ o7
Want to be clear, NM hates crunch culture and has basically done all he can to not have that be forced on me. So, not inherent to the process, totally my doing, I just happen to prefer self-imposed pressure/intensity. 5 hours into the overnight black coffee, nicotine gum and nightcore binge and the words come out better :LOL:

4.90 star(s) 99 Votes