Mod Abandoned Rogue-Like Chonky Mod [v0.3] [Ron Chon]

3.30 star(s) 3 Votes

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017

Overview:
This is a very early form of this mod. We are ripping apart the code and reassembling it piece-by-piece into a form I find more logical and that will hopefully be more conducive for future modding efforts. Expect quirky behavior.

For now, it is most useful to report outright crashes, gameplay locks, and game behavior that does not make logical sense, eg. a girl agreeing to give you a handjob, then immediately storming off.

v0.3 is about rewriting the navigation system, party mechanics, and girl-girl interactions.Ron Chon is still working away at animations. Void is tackling the Girl action system.

To make bug finding easier, we have made it so all girls unlock in the first two days, and the player starts with $100,000. The cheat menu has some useful functions for people looking to skip even further. We have been fixing things as they come up in the game, which means that late game events (eg. threesomes, controlling Xavier, etc.) are more likely (almost certainly) to be buggy. Please continue to report these bugs all the same.

Updated: 2022/07/25 (unclear on updated date)
Game/Creator: Rogue-Like by
Modder:
Mod Version: v0.3
Game Version: 0.998
Language: English
Official Game: The Null Hypothesis

Features:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Change-Log:

Dev Note:
DOWNLOAD
Win: -
Mac: -
Android:
-

1659327907694.png 1659327949514.png 1659327966616.png 1659327989821.png 1659328083420.png Rogue-Like_Chonky_Mod_7WCFWPqWrv.png Rogue-Like_Chonky_Mod_QeiLvwTefS.png Rogue-Like_Chonky_Mod_f7cjXCZXRa.png Rogue-Like_Chonky_Mod_atGF0lIj7Z.png

Last edited:

leathermax

Feb 10, 2019
Damn, I didn't know some of the background stuff was already applied to. I don't know if all the constant crashing is solved, but Imma check this out.

Reactions: Brololol

Crimx42

Jul 7, 2017
I guess I'll throw up a report
Jean accepts giving you a public handjob basically right after you meet her (which is probably fine, since she would in the main game too), but doing so causes her to immediately stop after 1 continue and then the game crashes

Also, she's willing to make out, which works fine enough... but if any other girl shows up during it...
- New bars are introduced for the new girl which appear the center of the screen
- The new girl immediately leaves (which is fine), but if you continue the dialogue reacts as if the girl joined in
- Game crashes a continue or two in

salscou

Apr 14, 2020
I keep getting crashes with most girls or "sprite missing" errors and im reading that people are playing the game fully, so did i fuck something up or what is going on?

Crimx42

Jul 7, 2017
I keep getting crashes with most girls or "sprite missing" errors and im reading that people are playing the game fully, so did i fuck something up or what is going on?
I can only speak for myself, but common crashes in the 0.3 version.
This definitely needs more time, but the potential is more than here

I will also mention I'm pretty sure they reduced the font size, I know its minor but I would love if either the font size is either restored or there is some type of option to make it bigger again.

depechedNode

Oct 10, 2017
Current version is just a proof of work, not a fully playable demo. So wait for at least a beta version to be able to enjoy it, currently many features are missing and/or not working correctly.

Possibly there will be another alpha version soon with changed UIs, backgrounds, etc and maybe a partly available single character with new art. These are just my guesses, so take them with a grain of salt.

Ron Chon's Patreon -

You can see why there's a patreon account in Ron Chon's post at the bottom quote explaining in detail.

And some other info missing from the first post:

Ron ChonToday
alright, finally have some decent internet at the airport. little sneak peek at what Syliar and I have been up to re: UIs. there's still a lot of clicking, but we're going to be chipping away at it things demoed here: 1. some working assets for Syliar's UI overhaul 2. xcommunicator texting system 3. talk to girls by clicking directly on them rather than interacting with menu 4. another example of auto-generating wardrobe menus. a dedicated UI that actually organizes and previews clothing items is incoming
View attachment 1920389

this is all alpha-level preliminary, but we're excited about shifting game systems/screens to be more user friendly and immersive

Ron ChonToday
hey all, as promised, I have big news re: the future of Chonky Mod I've become 1) increasingly tired of being limited by Oni's art, animations, and ideas and 2) more and more eager to accelerate progress towards making this a playable game/mod that meets my lofty expectations. so, I've decided to bite the bullet and a) hire some people to help me out and b) fully break free from Oni's shadow in favor of a new vision for what the game should look like this means a couple things. first, instead of a mod for Rogue-Like, I will be shifting the systems and mechanics I've developed towards the making of an entirely new Ren'Py game with some commonalities and many features distinguishing it from the original game to make this a clean break, it makes the most sense to no longer use Oni's base art. I expect that this will be disappointing to any artists who have been working on outfits for the base art with the hopes of it being included in Chonky Mod, but I truly believe that having our own art source from now on will give us miles more creative freedom in the long term so far, I've arranged standing commissions with two new artists who have started to chip away at setting up the main characters and outfit sets. I've found another writer to help with the story and scenes, since we're going to have to start fresh there as well. finally, I have at least one new programmer who will be helping me with core game functionality, with another one who I'm assessing to see if they can help with animations this document goes into some further details about the project:

Google Docs

Introducing: Project [Redacted] This is an adventure/dating sim game set in the X-Men universe and written in Ren’Py. The premise is the following: You are a mutant who has recently discovered he has the power to nullify other mutants’ powers. You have been taken in by Charles Xavier, who runs a ...

accompanying this news, I'm announcing the start of a Patreon page where anyone else is welcome to help contribute to the development of this project. being a patron is not, and will not ever be, required to play the game. current builds will be made publicly available, just as they were for Chonky Mod, forever. this is not a commercial project Patreon is simply a mechanism for us to collect donations that we can inject back into the development process to speed things along. donations to the Patreon will be infused right back into the game via commissioning more art, writing, and code. the income will be kept public, and I will not personally pocket a cent - if for some reason, the Patreon does well, that just means we will be commissioning a lot of art and writing. to make it crystal clear that this is not a paywall, the game will not be hosted on the Patreon if this arrangement ever changes, then it will be announced very publicly and well in-advance just to reiterate, if you do not wish to donate, there is absolutely no requirement to do so. if you do wish to donate, your contribution will directly accelerate the rate of art and writing production. here is the link:

SyliarToday
I'd like to clarify that I won't be abandoning getting Psylocke set up for Oni style, though I will likely wind up making another version of her as well and I will continue making UI and other assets

Just means she might not get as many outfits from me but she will be workable for others to make stuff for

Ron ChonToday
@ ...... and @ ...... I hear your mixed feelings here, and I think I can partially allay them! since the game mechanics that will serve as the basis for the new game are the same that have gone into the Chonky Mod, it's actually... not that hard to mix and match characters designed by different people. therefore, you can expect us to release an optional "DLC" package containing Oni's art. the idea being that you can download a zip file containing Oni's art and the code required to support it, drop it into the new game's directory, and in-game toggle that you would like to use, say, Oni's Jubilee instead of our new Jubilee
Hey everyone:

I'm *very* aware of lingering concerns about the art style we're pursuing in the new game, so I've whipped up a little demo to show just how easy it will be to use your preferred art in the game.

I hope this also provides evidence of one of the central tenets of this project: we are baking explicit support for mods into the foundation of the game. You don't like a scene, a piece of art, an item in the UI, whatever? Changing it to your liking will be as easy as dropping a folder into the game.

Google Drive

Go ahead and download the appropriate version of the game from /Current Build/, then download the mod folder in /Mods/. Unzip the mod and copy the /games/ folder into the /games/ folder of the base game.

Load up the game, and you will find familiar versions of Laura and Rogue wandering around (might take some exploration and/or waiting - they're just on a random schedule for now. if you're having trouble finding them, go to one of their rooms and just keep pressing Wait).

I hope this is a source of reassurance :).

If I could ask y'all for a favor - I don't intend to spend much time policing rumors here or elsewhere. If you see someone complaining about new art being forced on them (in a free game that in no way blocks access to the original... lol), it would be super helpful to me for you to politely point them to this post.
This is another concern that I completely understand, but I think can be set aside.

1. We are not trying to make money on this project. The game will be released for free, forever. I (Ron Chon) have hired artists, programmers, and writers to help me - this is out of my own pocket. I chose to do this because I really, really, really believe in the project, and I've come to the conclusion that monetary incentives are the best way to get results.

I have set up the Patreon for one reason: I do not have unlimited money, and so I can only commission art/writing/code at a finite rate. It may be enough for updates every month or so - but not eg. every week, which is my goal. Therefore, anyone who wishes to donate is welcome to do so, and those donations will go directly into - you guessed it - more art/writing/code.

With this setup, the only people profiting are the artists, who damn well deserve it; the writers, who deserve it just as much for breathing life into this horny world we're creating; and *the other* programmers (NOT ME), without whom we'd be stuck looking at static pictures like cavemen.

2. We are not using Oni's art. Full stop. Every image from the base game has been purged from our game.

What I said (or was trying to say) in the quotation above was that it will be easy to "drop in" custom art into the game. Indeed, I have no control over the custom art you choose to use. It may be your own stick figures, it may be art from a popular Ren'Py trainer game. The goal is for the game to be designed agnostic of the art and even its particular implementation on the code side - at the end of the day, the game will say "show Rogue_sprite blowjob", and whatever that image is, it will display.

*Since* this project started as a mod for a popular Ren'Py trainer game, and *since* many of the project's mechanics were designed with the art for that original game in mind, I think you will find that it is quite easy to find both the code and the art to facilitate this end-user modification to our game.

Does that clear things up?
More posts from Ron Chon can be found in Rogue Like thread and Expanded Mod thread.

oMegaPasha

Jun 18, 2018
during sex scenes except rogue and kitty i get black girl image and ''character_sprite_doggy'' is there any solutions or there's no scenes for emma and other characters?

Crimx42

Jul 7, 2017
during sex scenes except rogue and kitty i get black girl image and ''character_sprite_doggy'' is there any solutions or there's no scenes for emma and other characters?
Unless you want to join their team and 'fix it' (they are re-animating every scene)
Time is the only answer. Probably at LEAST a month or two before this version is really playable...
but honestly a single month of the monolithic amount of work they have dedicated themselves to do is a really short amount of time

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
Current version is just a proof of work, not a fully playable demo. So wait for at least a beta version to be able to enjoy it, currently many features are missing and/or not working correctly.

Possibly there will be another alpha version soon with changed UIs, backgrounds, etc and maybe a partly available single character with new art. These are just my guesses, so take them with a grain of salt.

Ron Chon's Patreon -

You can see why there's a patreon account in Ron Chon's post at the bottom quote explaining in detail.

And some other info missing from the first post:

More posts from Ron Chon can be found in Rogue Like thread and Expanded Mod thread.
The dude has 0 posts, 8 patrons and makes 225$ per months.

Did I miss a page on business 101?
Screenshot_20220801-101749_DuckDuckGo.jpg

depechedNode

Oct 10, 2017
Chapter X Page 23: Be better than Oni! Never ever be lazy, be completely transparent, keep promises, listen to your fans, never become a greedy penny pincher, never ruin Jean ever again, nev... Then one day this may become the best X-Men Perv Game ever...

Reactions: bubsaticom

JaSteel

Oct 14, 2020
Wait, is this thread for the *mod* or for the Ron Chon game? I thought the mod was abandoned in favor of the new game.

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
Wait, is this thread for the *mod* or for the Ron Chon game? I thought the mod was abandoned in favor of the new game.
from my understanding v0.1 to v0.3 was all code rework, there's also new background art.

I may have missed the source on about ron chon game and abandonment of the mod but I thought this was a proof of concept and the art rework will be added in new updates

3.30 star(s) 3 Votes