Mod Abandoned Rogue-Like Chonky Mod [v0.3] [Ron Chon]

3.30 star(s) 3 Votes
Oct 1, 2020
Oh damn, I didn't know there was a thread for Chonky Mod. Or maybe I blocked it out?

I'm still here, trucking along on . Rogue-Like wasn't particularly fun to work on anymore, both in terms of slogging through the original game's code and the community. I feel like anyone can read through these comments and understand why, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. I'm just a regular person making smut in my spare time. Sometimes that means I don't have much time or energy to code. Someone else is more than welcome to take over rewriting Rogue-Like, all the code is out there.

At any rate, I'm happy to share progress on my project so far. The art for the prologue is finished, Rogue and Laura's standing sprites are done, and the character artist is working on the sex scenes that will be unlockable through gameplay. The background artist is almost done with the essentials: once that's done, I want to start getting creative with some more interesting settings/backdrops for scenes.

Speaking of getting creative, I decided at some point that I was going to find a way to bring more characters into this world than just the X-Men. I'm not sure yet how I want that to be justified in-game, or if it means there will be a spin-off game housing non-mutant characters. But yeah, you can expect more characters like Daenerys to start popping up in previews.

I've been making moves to make the code more modular for a while. Characters and events are now just folders/files that you drop in to the game directory, for example. I'm really hoping that that will lower the activation energy for me to make more progress writing events. If anyone thinks they could make faster progress writing scenes, they're more than welcome to help out.

That's it for now. Try to remember that I'm just a dude making a free-to-play game for fun. This grab-your-pitchforks attitude is kind of silly.
Glad you're still working on it, and don't let the toxicity get to you because despite the sillyness from some residents of this forum most of us are capable of appreciating some quality smut.

Slash0451

Oct 7, 2019
damn, this looks really promising
really looking forward to see what's next, and please try not to exhaust yourself or pay attention to any sort of pointless negativity
cheers

Swifthand

Aug 4, 2019
Nice Update Ron!

As for how to logically implement characters from other IPs, how about using ?

While not a mutant, she is a Marvel character with the powers to open portals to other dimensions. And with her being among the younger characters, you could easily make it that she visits the campus to check it out since she doesn't have full control over her powers yet, and gets into an incident that leads her to open a portal that she is unable to close for a while, which leads to various other characters getting into the game.

That would be my idea as to how to justify it.

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
Nice Update Ron!

As for how to logically implement characters from other IPs, how about using ?

While not a mutant, she is a Marvel character with the powers to open portals to other dimensions. And with her being among the younger characters, you could easily make it that she visits the campus to check it out since she doesn't have full control over her powers yet, and gets into an incident that leads her to open a portal that she is unable to close for a while, which leads to various other characters getting into the game.

That would be my idea as to how to justify it.
That's a great idea! I was thinking of just giving the player multiversal powers, but this would be a little more natural wouldn't it? Thanks for the suggestion dude. I'll probably make it an option to disable non-mutant characters for any purists out there too.

Woah, cool to see some pulse from this, man, I hope you manage to complete it without much trouble.
ronchonbon do your plans remain the same as when you started, of have you shifted towards a different idea with the project?
I think it's pretty much the same as what I've pitched before. Sandbox gameplay a la Rogue-Like interspersed with short visual novel type segments to provide story, introduce characters, etc. The only major gameplay change I've been toying with is having your stats be invisible to the player (except for the iconic updating animation to give you real-time feedback). I've been enjoying having a decluttered UI, and there are other ways to indicate that you're doing well with a character.

Syliar

Jul 21, 2017
Oh damn, I didn't know there was a thread for Chonky Mod. Or maybe I blocked it out?

I'm still here, trucking along on . Rogue-Like wasn't particularly fun to work on anymore, both in terms of slogging through the original game's code and the community. I feel like anyone can read through these comments and understand why, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. I'm just a regular person making smut in my spare time. Sometimes that means I don't have much time or energy to code. Someone else is more than welcome to take over rewriting Rogue-Like, all the code is out there.

At any rate, I'm happy to share progress on my project so far. The art for the prologue is finished, Rogue and Laura's standing sprites are done, and the character artist is working on the sex scenes that will be unlockable through gameplay. The background artist is almost done with the essentials: once that's done, I want to start getting creative with some more interesting settings/backdrops for scenes.

Speaking of getting creative, I decided at some point that I was going to find a way to bring more characters into this world than just the X-Men. I'm not sure yet how I want that to be justified in-game, or if it means there will be a spin-off game housing non-mutant characters. But yeah, you can expect more characters like Daenerys to start popping up in previews.

I've been making moves to make the code more modular for a while. Characters and events are now just folders/files that you drop in to the game directory, for example. I'm really hoping that that will lower the activation energy for me to make more progress writing events. If anyone thinks they could make faster progress writing scenes, they're more than welcome to help out.

That's it for now. Try to remember that I'm just a dude making a free-to-play game for fun. This grab-your-pitchforks attitude is kind of silly.
So you actually made the changes to Rogue that we all tried to feed back to you and you ragequit the team/server over. Nice to see you're also still using some elements of the UI you supposedly pulled, admittedly not many but the styling makes it obvious they are the ones I made.

MankoEater

Apr 25, 2017
I was going to find a way to bring more characters into this world than just the X-Men.
That'd be the least of your problems since 1/3 of characters present in X-Men comics/TAS series aren't even mutants. Most of 'em are human-cyborg hybrids, aliens, phantoms or inter-dimensional hot babes.

Godspeed to you and your project! The comic book-like artwork rubs me right. :PogChamp:

Reactions: Slash0451

DarkLurker12

Aug 26, 2021

Art's looking great. I look forward to this. One question thou, do we also get to play with a chocolate slong like in Rogue-like? Being able to fuck with a dick matching my own is one of the best aspects of the original.

Testerguy19

Nov 11, 2018
Should the abandoned tag be removed since work on this project has resumed? (Oh wait never mind, I forgot to read the dev's comment--let it stay dead then.)

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
Art's looking great. I look forward to this. One question thou, do we also get to play with a chocolate slong like in Rogue-like? Being able to fuck with a dick matching my own is one of the best aspects of the original.
For sure! You can check it out in v0.3c, just uploaded. Skip to the end, you can't miss it.

3.30 star(s) 3 Votes