Dittymyman

Feb 23, 2019
You don't see any evidence because you didn't bother to look.
You're right I definitely didn't because I have not modded the game nor do I look into the code of renpy games I download...
I am modding a game that is 8 years old, what is this star citizen? There is no excuse for an eight year project being the code nightmare it is. If you want to defend him, fine. But AS A PROGRAMMER making his own game, the code in this game is unoptimized, poorly structured, and confusing. Prime example being instead of one menu used for every girl he has a menu for each and every girl; this goes for all chat menus, sex menus, flirt menus, etc. That is a failure of basic design. As for cheat menu; yeah of course it is still compatible it is very unintrusive and makes minimal changes; its like using ImGUI, so that means basically nothing.

ShinGouki

Oct 5, 2018
Finally got around trying the new version after playing the new version of The Null Hypothesis and ran into Betsy. Squirrel Girl fuckery aside, my first reaction to seeing Betsy was thinking how she looks like the end result of Oni throwing Naruto's Orochimaru and Battleborn's Beatrix into a blender and hitting blend. In case you've never seen Beatrix, here's a picture:

1706247080630.png

Testerguy19

Nov 11, 2018
Y'know what I'm glad for a good update but if Oni says to not download even if it's at 1.5d...I'll stick with whatever games I've got playing.

I mean, I still haven't finished the new update of Null Hypothesis, so there's plenty of time kill

Never mind about incomplete Psylocke or whatever Squirrel's Girl odd face is....

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
But AS A PROGRAMMER making his own game...
That's my point. He's NOT a programmer. Game devs aren't necessarily programmers. Masahiro Sakurai doesn't call himself a programmer. He can program, but he's not a programmer. I can build a bird house, that doesn't make me a carpenter. I'm not even trying to defend him. I'm simply stating a fact. For a non-programmer, a code that runs for 8 years is admirable. Think about how many google products have died in the last 8 years. For a solo person who's not a programmer, maintain running code for 8 years on his first project is admireable. Code-wise, I've seen better and I've seen worse. The code in the state that its in is no better or worse than most ren'py games. That's been my statement from the get go.

Prime example being instead of one menu used for every girl he has a menu for each and every girl;
Oh, you mean so he's then able to layer the two on top of each other during times like threesomes or more than one character on screen? Instanced menu for each girl so he can handle them and for each to have their own style and theme? What horrible design. /s Is there a better way? Yes. But it requires a complete rewrite of the core. Which, as I've said before, takes time. Sometimes more time than even Microsoft is willing to put forward. You can say that he should have done this from the beginning. Which, yes, he should have... IF HE WAS A PROGRAMMER WHICH HE IS NOT.

Btw, here's the code for that. It's one of the few things SLDR's cheat enabler modifies:
Code:
    if Partner in TotalGirls:
        frame:
            background None
            pos (-100,30)
#            add "Alt_Screen_Mask"
            add  AlphaMask("images/BarBackdrop_"+Partner.Tag+".png", "Alt_Screen_Mask")
            frame: 
                style_group "stat_bar"
                pos (100,25)
                background None
                has vbox
                hbox:
                    imagebutton idle "images/iconlust.png" hover "images/iconlust.png" action NullAction() hovered tt.Action("Lust: [Partner.Lust]")
                    bar range 100 value FieldValue(Partner, "Lust", 100) xmaximum 100 left_bar "images/barfull.png" right_bar "images/barempty.png" left_gutter 3 right_gutter 5 thumb None thumb_offset 0

imagebutton idle "images/iconlove.png" hover "images/iconlove.png" action NullAction() hovered tt.Action("Love: [Partner.Love]")
                    bar range 100 value FieldValue(Partner, "Love", 1000) xmaximum 100 left_bar "images/barfull.png" right_bar "images/barempty.png" left_gutter 3 right_gutter 5 thumb None thumb_offset 0

imagebutton idle "images/iconobed.png" hover "images/iconobed.png" action NullAction() hovered tt.Action("Obedience: [Partner.Obed]") #action NullAction("none")?
                    bar range 100 value FieldValue(Partner, "Obed", 1000) xmaximum 100 left_bar "images/barfullO.png" right_bar "images/barempty.png" left_gutter 3 right_gutter 5 thumb None thumb_offset 0

imagebutton idle "images/iconinbt.png" hover "images/iconinbt.png" action NullAction() hovered tt.Action("Inhibitions: [Partner.Inbt]")
                    bar range 100 value FieldValue(Partner, "Inbt", 1000) xmaximum 100 left_bar "images/barfulli.png" right_bar "images/barempty.png" left_gutter 3 right_gutter 5 thumb None thumb_offset 0
Again. This use to be copy and paste code for each character. You said the problem is that he's hasn't show improvement. Well, he has. Now you're saying he should have his shit together because he's a programmer. HE'S NOT A PROGRAMMER.
this goes for all chat menus, sex menus, flirt menus, etc. That is a failure of basic design.
That's not even true 100%.
There's "script Sex.rpy" which is augmented by <character name>_Sex.rpy. And yeah, there's a better way to do it. But he didn't do it because HE'S NOT A PROGRAMMER. The ONLY time I've seen something akin to virtualized classed and/or interfaces in a ren'py game was in this game:
https://f95zone.to/threads/vae-victis-khan-conquer-ravish-breed-v0-10-9-doorknob22.74639/
And do you know why this game has it? BECAUSE HE HIRED A PROGRAMMER. How do I know? HE LITERALLY TOLD ME.
https://f95zone.to/threads/vae-vict...-breed-v0-10-9-doorknob22.74639/post-11681457
In 0.10 all females will have the option to be represented as a new class, class Female, which allows me to easily track pregnancies. Courtesy of gojira667, like all the actually good code in the game.
I am modding a game that is 8 years old, what is this star citizen?
Oh, you mean the game that has a team of people behind it, including programmers, and a publisher behind it instead of just one person with a patreon? Gee? I wonder why that code base is better? /s

Dude, if you want to pull rank, I'm the guy that figured out that in the original Star Wars battlefront, the push value for explosive can forces be set to a negative and made vacuum weapons. Seriously. Look it up. I was still using the same username. Guess what game I was modding? Oh, you want more? I run a private MMORPG server in my home and have contributed code and fixes to said project. Do you want even more? I was the one that fixed a long standing bug in the cheat engine for FCEUX which they merged into their source. So if you've ever used the NES emulator FCEUX and the cheat GUI and it's NOT broken, you're fucking welcome. Is that good enough for you or do I need to go on?

So, let's recap:

I started off with "For a first project (meaning he's not a pro in any sense, let alone a programmer), a game that lasted 8 years without being abandoned due to bad code like Big Brother or Witch Trainer Silver, is admirable."

You then said "The problem is that he hasn't improved." Which I pulled receipts to show that he has.

You're now saying that he should have done better because he's a programmer, which I EXPLICITLY said he's not here:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rogue-like-evolution-v1-5b-oni.14/post-12782677

And then you throw the comparison of a TEAM BACKED AND PUBLISHER BACKED GAME with 2 MILLION DOLLARS IN INITIAL BACKING

campaign which drew in over US$2 million. Pre-production of the game began in 2010, with production starting in 2011.
to a game with only 1 person and 7k a month (reminder, it would take 23 YEARS for Oni to make 2 million dollars even if you exclude the cut patreon takes just to make the same as the INITIAL BACKING of Star Citizen), and somehow don't realize how that's exactly like what I was saying of:
You know when your boss goes "I don't get it, you're just welding metal. There are machines that can do this. Why does it take you a full day?"
Star Citizen has a machine behind it. Oni is just one person. Do you get it now?

At this point, you're moving the goal post so much that it's not even in the same stadium. I don't even know why you're pushing so hard to prove that Oni is shit. Like, this is becoming less an opinion and more of a vendetta. If you have to move the goal post, you're no longer talking to your original point or reasoning. You're simply looking to justify your hate. Why? Seriously, why? Like, the last time I saw a vendetta like this, Amazon was trying to, some would say illegally, run their smaller competitor out of business so they can have a monopoly on the market. Like, are you doing that? Do you have ties with a competing or something?

On a personal note. If this is your attitude about how people get shit done, I hope you never start a business or become the boss/manager of anything. Because it's people like this that caused the enshitification of technology. Elon Musk dabbles in code, doesn't really know what it takes to make things work, that's why almost all of the things he's known for are shit or have become shit (Paypal, Tesla, Boring company, Twitter. And yes, even SpaceX. I've heard things, horrible things about Space X from former workers/programmers there). Facebook use to pass auth tokens through unencrypted channels when HTTPS was already standard. Zuckerberg also dabbled in code and doesn't know how things actually work.

The next time you complain about youtube being shit or windows forcing you to watch ads or complain that everything's a subscription service or your TV directly showing you ads you can't turn off or your android/iphone not letting you do the most basic things a pocket computer should let you do, I hope you remember that you're the exact kind of person that would have made it as such.

KittyClub

Mar 4, 2019
Of course, the update makes me a little sad. I'm glad that one of my favorite games is being updated and that Oni is continuing development. But to see a little easter egg and a girl without any interaction, 6 months later and talk of a big update and not wanting to release unfinished girls. It's sad

• Sad
Reactions: Hatler
4.40 star(s) 149 Votes