checkdude19xy

Aug 26, 2023
So I don't understand the following behind squirrel girl. Never got a chance to get into her character when I was reading American comics. Can anyone give me a recommendation on where to start if I want to know more about the character and why people love her (besides the fact she defeated Thanos)? Like a specific run or story line she's a part of, etc.?
Squirrel Girl and the West Coast Avengers and the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. Although the second has a art style you need to get used to if you dont read alot of comics. You can basically expect her to solve nearly every problem she has by talking it out or making a plan since she knows she can always go back to just beating the villian if it doesnt work.

Dittymyman

Feb 23, 2019
You know when your boss goes "I don't get it, you're just welding metal. There are machines that can do this. Why does it take you a full day?" or "You're just adding a button to this program, why do you need meetings and designers and a week just to do this?" or "All you do is flip burgers. Why do you need to call in sick? Anyone can do this job." That's pretty much what you just said. Why it takes so long isn't something that can be explained to people that's never done it and for them to believe it. Hell, I'm a programmer and I did art but I've never made a game. And even from what my perspective, it should take a long time.

If you really want to understand, try modding the game. Add a whole new character with their own story and dialogue and all that, like say Mystique, into the game without breaking the game. Someone else already did it so you wouldn't even make all the art assets. It's not like the game is compiled or encoded. You can literally do this with a text editor. See how long it takes you. I'll bet, unless you're cutting corners or not sleeping, it'll take a lot longer than 3 days.
To be fair as a programmer(or line cook for that matter) you are taught to create a system to make creating more systems easier and flexible; a pipeline maybe? Instead there is no evidence that Oni makes any effort to make his life or workflow easier. That is why modding this game is hell, because the modder then starts making tooling for the game... I should not be making basic tools so that I can navigate the base code quicker.

To be clear I am not judging Oni, he makes a product and people buy it. But no one should promote the methods at which he creates said product

SwoleSquid

Mar 29, 2021
Just to clear up any confusion, Squirrel Girl is not a whole new character, she just has a little cameo as part of Psylockes introduction, who is the actual new girl. But she doesn't have sex poses yet, like every new addition to this game.

It's similar to how Gwenpool used to only exist as a cameo Easter egg with Laura, and just like her I have the feeling he's going to push for Squirrel Girl until she gets in. He seems to be really into the meme characters, but as fans of Evolution and X-Men media specifically probably make a huge part of the fan base hopefully we at least get Wanda first.

Josh Spicer

Sep 19, 2018
Man.

There's really a lotta designs you can pick to make any character you include to be as attractive as you want. That's really one of the benefits of comic books in general.

And much like his spaghetti, Yandev inspired code (though honestly the timeframe probably matches up where they both started very closely) he still finds a way to fuck it up.

At least I don't have to restart a save every time (for the most part). That's the bare minimum of shit.

NeoStarr

Jul 2, 2017
Is someone going to answer what's new in this version?
This question was answered a few times already and even before this version came out we knew what was coming. A new character Psylocke, and a cameo with Squirrel girl. However no one has mentioned how to make Psylocke appear.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Helivesoncemore

Tallyhawk

Apr 27, 2019
if memory serves, Boom Boom and Wanda could still be added, since this is based on Evolution. If you deep dive intothe entire franchise however...holy cow that is a LOT of potential characters. As for Squirrel Girl...hmmm...odd choice to use a look from a single animated series, that also flopped hard. Having a 'thicker' character isn't a bad idea, but not sure she fits.

TBH I rather have Gwenpool more fleshed out, get a lot more clothing and customization options, and maybe have a evil/good story path. Maybe some missions? Challenges? And maybe an endgame goal.

Chaospanda83

Mar 21, 2020
I love this game. The art is gorgeous! (I'm sure they'll fix squirrel girl in the official release beyond Easter egg.) Betsy is hot as fuck. Too bad lots of interactions with her and any threesome content with anyone cause errors in this version.

(You trigger psylocke / betsy by going to either the square or class ..after the other girls intro'ed for me .. and Prof x will say go to the front gate and welcome a new student. Squirrel girl shows up and mentions she isn't the new student. Then you go find betsy.)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Dr. Coom

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
Instead there is no evidence that Oni makes any effort to make his life or workflow easier.
There is. You can see it in the code changes. A lot of the flags for the character were one off flags before. He's since moved them to OOP. This current partial update being broken? That's because he's re-writing some of the function to take advantage of inheritance. Even in just up keeping the linux version of SLDR's cheat enabler, I've had to change the code from using regex patterns to search for copy and pasted code to changing it to look for just one line of code because he started to take advantage of templating.

You don't see any evidence because you didn't bother to look.

"Well, then why do modders have a hard time?"
Have you ever tried to make an automated way to modify external code without it caring for what you do while it's in the middle of being refactored? Modding is a precarious thing to begin with. You're *MODIFYING* the game in ways it was never intended. When you're writing mods for a game that's in active development, unless the game is guaranteeing a solid interface for data manipulation in the back end (which, to my knowledge, no game has ever done this. No, not even MMORPG's. I've checked.) and/or front end manipulation, you will ALWAYS be trying to hit a moving target. Hell, even Microsoft's own API's for their cloud platform has changed their commands, syntax, and parameters. Creating new ones and deprecating old ones. Like, I need to find time to rewrite ALL my chrome plugins because google decided it wanted to block adblockers by changing the way the ENTIRE CORE OF CHROME HANDLES NETWORK CALLS (I'm still mad about that and it's been close to a year since it happened. Literally thinking of ditching chrome-based browsers altogether because of it. Fucking manifest v3...). Now imagine modding a game with all that AND it's in the middle of refactored. It's not even like hitting a moving target. It's like hitting a moving target while both are on shifting sands.

This is also why SLDR's cheat enabler is one of the things/mods for this game that's survived for...*checks date* close to 4 years and maintained with minimal effort. HALF the life span of this game. Rather than modding the static assets of the game itself, it's taking advantage of the tools the game itself provides to make changes. This is why it a) takes so little to update it. b) why I bother to help troubleshooting for it. It's good, clean code and a joy to work with.

Let me put this final nail in the coffin. My version of 1.5b of this game? Short of the missing art assets, it doesn't crash. Why? Because the code changes that broke the game made enough sense to me AS A PROGRAMMER that I was able to fix it really quickly and easily. I could read it and go "Oh, I know why he's doing that." and make the proper changes to fixed what he missed. It would have taken me 1.5~2 times as long for a 0.7x update. That's how much the code has improved.

Filos

Sep 2, 2018
Honestly? After all this time I'd rather have some placeholder art for all the basic scenes, something like a default model with only the important features for each girl, than having to wait for months between a new girl's release and the all the content related to her. I don't know how many people work on this project or how much they work on it, but sheesh, thank god for piracy because if I wanted to support a developer, this one would be near the bottom of the list for his pace. The only thing worse than this are those who obviously scam donors and followers.

Art is amazing, the variety of options is top notch, gameplay is ok as far as sandbox renpy game goes, but for the love of god, stop giving me hope with these half-baked releases.

Sorry for the rant, I know it's not exactly my place to complain since I'm just leeching off, but I think we can all agree that these updates are uncomfortably slow to come out, so in a way I think I'm expressing the same sentiment other people who stopped supporting felt.

Reactions: CJlOHNK

Black-Wolf

Jun 9, 2019
Can someone please explain to me how new girls get voted into this game? I'm sick of not having my wide-hipped Doreen in my harem.

Congrats to Betsy.
1703961192717357.jpg

4.40 star(s) 154 Votes