bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Awesome, Thanks didnt know that.
So while my initial quick test did show the game to work with WINE, upon actually trying to sit down and play the thing I quickly noticed one major problem. It would appear that sound just doesn't work in any RPGM MV games under WINE, no idea why and I've tried a lot of things to fix it (if anyone knows how please share). Works fine in RPGM VX, go figure...

However there's good news (and bad news)! It turns out you can turn any RPGM MV game released 'for Windows' into a (native) Linux compatible release in almost just one step.

All you have to do is go to and grab the latest NORMAL release for Linux (should be on the homepage), then extract its contents into the root directory of the game (the one with Game.exe). The easiest way to do this is to put the .tar.gz archive into the directory and then run 'tar xvf nwjs-v0.33.0-linux-x64.tar.gz --strip-components=1' (adapt for the current version, --strip-components is because the contents are in a directory themselves). You'll know if you've done it correctly because alongside Game.exe you should have a file simply called 'nw'. Now you can run the game by simply executing the 'nw' file. Bam, the game runs... if not for one small issue.

As you may or may not be aware, Linux, unlike Windows, has case-sensitive file handling. And as it turns out, the developers for this game weren't exactly super conscious of that when writing their event scripts. So you'll probably notice that immediately after running 'nw', you'll be greeted by a message that says "Failed to load: img/system/Window.png". This is because, as you'll find, there is no file in the www/img/system directory named Window.png... But there is one named window.png. If you rename it to Window.png and try to run 'nw' again you'll make it to the menu.

Now I don't know how many cases like this there are, but I expect that they'll break the game whenever encountered. I have no idea how I could even go about fixing them except by hand every time an error was encountered. Perhaps someone smarter than me (like @redknight00), can figure out a way to scan the script files and check for filename inconsistencies, but without doing that let's just say the game would be 'unstable'.

I'm almost certain that a slightly modified version of this could be used to make RPGM MV games run on MacOS too, but I can't experiment as I don't own any Mac devices.

I've tested this short method with Roundscape and My New Life so far and both will technically run (MNL makes it to the menu immediately though, so that's nice), so this might open up a slightly new world for non Windows users denied their official builds.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
So while my initial quick test did show the game to work with WINE, upon actually trying to sit down and play the thing I quickly noticed one major problem. It would appear that sound just doesn't work in any RPGM MV games under WINE, no idea why and I've tried a lot of things to fix it (if anyone knows how please share). Works fine in RPGM VX, go figure...

However there's good news (and bad news)! It turns out you can turn any RPGM MV game released 'for Windows' into a (native) Linux compatible release in almost just one step.

All you have to do is go to and grab the latest NORMAL release for Linux (should be on the homepage), then extract its contents into the root directory of the game (the one with Game.exe). The easiest way to do this is to put the .tar.gz archive into the directory and then run 'tar xvf nwjs-v0.33.0-linux-x64.tar.gz --strip-components=1' (adapt for the current version, --strip-components is because the contents are in a directory themselves). You'll know if you've done it correctly because alongside Game.exe you should have a file simply called 'nw'. Now you can run the game by simply executing the 'nw' file. Bam, the game runs... if not for one small issue.

As you may or may not be aware, Linux, unlike Windows, has case-sensitive file handling. And as it turns out, the developers for this game weren't exactly super conscious of that when writing their event scripts. So you'll probably notice that immediately after running 'nw', you'll be greeted by a message that says "Failed to load: img/system/Window.png". This is because, as you'll find, there is no file in the www/img/system directory named Window.png... But there is one named window.png. If you rename it to Window.png and try to run 'nw' again you'll make it to the menu.

Now I don't know how many cases like this there are, but I expect that they'll break the game whenever encountered. I have no idea how I could even go about fixing them except by hand every time an error was encountered. Perhaps someone smarter than me (like @redknight00), can figure out a way to scan the script files and check for filename inconsistencies, but without doing that let's just say the game would be 'unstable'.

I'm almost certain that a slightly modified version of this could be used to make RPGM MV games run on MacOS too, but I can't experiment as I don't own any Mac devices.

I've tested this short method with Roundscape and My New Life so far and both will technically run (MNL makes it to the menu immediately though, so that's nice), so this might open up a slightly new world for non Windows users denied their official builds.
That's weird, the MV is naturally case sensitive afaik and by all accounts that window should be upper case.

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
That's weird, the MV is naturally case sensitive afaik and by all accounts that window should be upper case.
Maybe the fact that the underlying system is not (case sensitive) is compensating for it? The filename is 'wrong' on your end too right?
I could only find two references to the file in the scripts and neither make sense to me given the context, but I don't understand how the software works.

Senalata

Aug 21, 2017
So, strange but potentially not too game breaking issue here. I just got Zent but he decided not to catch up with the rest of the party in terms of experience. My party is around lvl 14-15 while he's a meager level 5. Has anyone bumped into an issue like this? Can it be fixed somehow?

yeetie

Aug 1, 2018
I've found two solutions:
1. you can unzip Roundscape Adorevia in a FAT-32 partition, for instance a USB flash drive
2. if you use a NFTS partition instead, you can mount it using the lowntfs-3g driver:
Code:
$ sudo lowntfs-3g -o windows_names -o ignore_case VOLUME MOUNT_POINT
As for nwjs, the SDK edition comes with a handy JS console. You can launch it through the F12 key: it allows you to inspect and edit any in-game variable.

Reactions: totesSatan

Zæro

Jun 23, 2018
Hey guys. I'm on act 3. I can see the lake crystal on castle map but cant go there. It's still that red shade making it unselectable. Also clawyn pregnancy quest doesn't trigger. Any help?

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
I've found two solutions:
1. you can unzip Roundscape Adorevia in a FAT-32 partition, for instance a USB flash drive
Yep, I did think about that but couldn't test it.

2. if you use a NFTS partition instead, you can mount it using the lowntfs-3g driver:
Oh that's interesting, I tried using ntfs, but only with the ntfs-3g driver. I had no idea lowntfs-3g (and ignore_case) existed. This is probably the best option for me as I dual boot and, conveniently, all my lewd games are stored on NTFS drives since they're often "Windows only".

I have discovered a third solution, which I've been using successfully so far, which is to use ciopfs. The advantage with this method is that you don't actually need any FAT or NTFS disks, in fact, you don't need any additional disks at all.

As for nwjs, the SDK edition comes with a handy JS console. You can launch it through the F12 key: it allows you to inspect and edit any in-game variable.
Oh that's nice, I might switch over in that case, doesn't sound like there's any downside other than the increased storage hit. I assumed the SDK was development only.

gen.kathrine

Dec 30, 2017
So, I think I found a bug, in the pc castle the game doen't do anything in the hallway leading to the pc room.
Well, I think I slipped past that bug. Leave the castle for a bit, perhaps through the crystal teleportation system, and then return? (Reloading an old save, for instance, will only replicate said bug.) I think that's what got me through it.

The_fallen_dragon

Jun 15, 2017
Well, I think I slipped past that bug. Leave the castle for a bit, perhaps through the crystal teleportation system, and then return? (Reloading an old save, for instance, will only replicate said bug.) I think that's what got me through it.
I would do that, if I could do anything. Nothing happens at all, cant open the menu or anything. I'm just watching the pixel animation. Also playing a old save I just ran into another big. While inr ly'ras I got into a fight with some enemies and everything was fine until my second turn where the menu didn't appear.

3.60 star(s) 134 Votes