rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

AtotehZ

Aug 24, 2018
Honestly I didn't even notice all this, but I've enjoyed rpdl torrents before, glad they're back.

I'm not surprised some people more than overreacted, there are all kinds of people here.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
That are fantastics news.:love:
Would be interesting of how that have an influence on the traffic on rpdl.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I posted some short stats in the ping today (number of accounts and average daily pageviews) - when I get to my laptop tonight I'll get average traffic stats and whatever else i can scrounge up - will be interesting data!

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: c3p0

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
I posted some short stats in the ping today (number of accounts and average daily pageviews) - when I get to my laptop tonight I'll get average traffic stats and whatever else i can scrounge up - will be interesting data!
The more interesting question is whether the users are willing to contribute to the financial maintenance of the swarm. I mean, this is still a pirate site, and we are all dirty pirates!

• Thinking Face
Reactions: c3p0

Cruxiz

Jun 23, 2017
Just a note since you're stating so clearly to release the developer's best version available:

https://f95zone.to/threads/the-hard-way-v0-16-2-public-muffin-maker.74065/post-8843577

This torrent seems to be the public version only. It is not in the torrent description or the torrent directory naming but it shows in the executable and in the archive. You probably should change it to 0.16.2-FREE like the other downloads to not mislead on the version.

Tom Daniel

Sep 28, 2019
great news. With nopy gone, something like this was desperately needed. Also, might be better to share the original zip instead of rezipping for cross-seeding purposes but not a dealbreaker.

Good luck

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Just a note since you're stating so clearly to release the developer's best version available:

https://f95zone.to/threads/the-hard-way-v0-16-2-public-muffin-maker.74065/post-8843577

This torrent seems to be the public version only. It is not in the torrent description or the torrent directory naming but it shows in the executable and in the archive. You probably should change it to 0.16.2-FREE like the other downloads to not mislead on the version.
Thanks for the heads up!

great news. With nopy gone, something like this was desperately needed. Also, might be better to share the original zip instead of rezipping for cross-seeding purposes but not a dealbreaker.

Good luck
The 5-10% we save via compression really adds up pretty fast. For example, the entire archive is 10.6tb right now, if it was original size it'd be somewhere between 11-12. It doesn't seem like a lot but that's the same data we're transferring out too so we save on both ends.

Is it EMP you seed at? I have an account there but never really thought about posting the torrents (it's likely that i won't tbh, the amount of work for torrent descriptions etc would be a nightmare).

Aug 5, 2017
What causes the 'invalid authentication key' after i've seeded the torrent for a while? It happens to all torrents at once and it's way too much effort to stop them all, get replacement .torrent files and rehash/reseed so it usually ends my seeding.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
What causes the 'invalid authentication key' after i've seeded the torrent for a while? It happens to all torrents at once and it's way too much effort to stop them all, get replacement .torrent files and rehash/reseed so it usually ends my seeding.
It's the passkey expiring, it's so annoying. We have an issue open with the developers to disable it entirely.

The fix for it is straightforward:

Logout from dl.rpdl.net
Log back in again
Download fresh torrent and add it to client
Right click the new torrent, properties (or similar) and copy the new tracker URL
Right click, edit any torrents with the error and insert the new tracker URL.
Re-announce or wait 30mins for them to announce again.

The day it's fixed I'm gonna get blackout drunk to celebrate.

Last edited:
Reactions: HelpfulSunglasses
Aug 5, 2017
Thanks, but I'm seeding 50+ torrents from rpdl at any given time so looking each one up and replacing the torrent is a PITA. I'll check if any were still getting a lot of traffic at least and fix them to contribute some bandwidth.

Appreciate the site and the quick response. There's no "right click" on a seedbox but I'll figure something out. I might write a script to refresh them all if I can get python to login to the site without logging my browser out and changing it again.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Thanks, but I'm seeding 50+ torrents from rpdl at any given time so looking each one up and replacing the torrent is a PITA. I'll check if any were still getting a lot of traffic at least and fix them to contribute some bandwidth.

Appreciate the site and the quick response. There's no "right click" on a seedbox but I'll figure something out. I might write a script to refresh them all if I can get python to login to the site without logging my browser out and changing it again.
Feel free to share more info about your setup if you're comfortable doing so, or hop on our discord and we can discuss it more, there's always a way to automate or script most of it. We've a bunch of tech heads there (me included) who can help!

Reactions: HelpfulSunglasses
Aug 5, 2017
It's just a standard rtorrent-on-linux-server setup. I'm familiar enough with python.requests and xmlrpc to rtorrent to script it since I automate a lot of the seeding stuff anyway, just need to harvest the right cookies from firefox to scrape the pages for each game i'm seeding and update (or stop, if the torrent isn't there anymore)

It's easy enough to script a search of all the torrents for the auth key error and refresh them, just need to take the time to do it.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
It's just a standard rtorrent-on-linux-server setup. I'm familiar enough with python.requests and xmlrpc to rtorrent to script it since I automate a lot of the seeding stuff anyway, just need to harvest the right cookies from firefox to scrape the pages for each game i'm seeding and update (or stop, if the torrent isn't there anymore)

It's easy enough to script a search of all the torrents for the auth key error and refresh them, just need to take the time to do it.
Does your provider allow you to install anything? For example, hooks into rtorrent and gives a nice API to play with. Does require a webserver though so if you want to keep things lean it adds a little overhead.

The torrents themselves are bencoded, I don't know much about python but is usually a good place to start. It's a bit complicated but something like this would work:

1. - add your account info to options.json and it'll crawl the site for new torrents. Via grepping the torrent file, you can pull the passkey from the first line and check when the passkey changes.
2. When it does change, pass the new tracker URL to torrent-tools to edit all torrents with X tag.

There's probably a more seamless way of doing this, this is just off the top of my head. Personally, I use flood - even on the storage servers with 9k torrents it has no problems with mass editing thousands of torrents at once. (if you use rutorrent, it spawns a PHP thread for each torrent so it's super easy to lockup the entire server if you try with a lot of torrents).

This RSS converter might be easier , you can modify the RSS feed to only search for games you're interested in.

But yeah, I pray for the day we get unlimited passkeys - it'll make things that bit easier.

Tom Daniel

Sep 28, 2019
By cross-seeding I meant just having the same file that I downloaded in another way being seedable.
I understand your point regarding saved space and also the reduction in bandwidth used. With the growing library it would be stupid to ignore the significant file size reduction.

I also have to agree that the changing passkeys is an issue and something I do not understand. The other private trackers don't do it, so I want to ask your reason for it. Excuse my naivety.

Reactions: RPDL

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
By cross-seeding I meant just having the same file that I downloaded in another way being seedable.
I understand your point regarding saved space and also the reduction in bandwidth used. With the growing library it would be stupid to ignore the significant file size reduction.

I also have to agree that the changing passkeys is an issue and something I do not understand. The other private trackers don't do it, so I want to ask your reason for it. Excuse my naivety.
Nah, it's no problem at all. The passkey thing isn't a decision of ours, it's part of the software we use for the tracker & indexer. It's very new so it's still evolving and adding new features, tweaking existing features etc so it changes a lot.

We have a request in to have the option of disabling passkey expiry, or at the least giving the user the option to reset the passkey in their user-panel (when it gets introduced).

It's just a case of waiting really, there's a bunch of other stuff in the pipeline too.

On the topic of cross seeding, yeah I understand, it's a bit of a bummer in that aspect. Sorry we don't really have any options for you there!

Reactions: Tom Daniel

nizkus

Jan 23, 2018

I may be missing something, but you can just download a single new torrent and copy paste its tracker url to every torrent you were seeding en masse.

Aug 5, 2017
I may be missing something, but you can just download a single new torrent and copy paste its tracker url to every torrent you were seeding en masse.
oh yeah, I was looking at a few at random but they all happened to be different key expirations so the URL was different. Just snagged a couple new ones and they're all the same.

That makes this trivial, I can fix them all at once.

E: ended up being a bit more complicated because you can't change a tracker URL in rtorrent without stopping and restarting the whole thing - not happening with 900+ torrents. But you can disable the existing trackers for a torrent and add a new one, so that's what I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: RPDL