Tool RPGM RPG Maker MV v1.62 Linux Mac and Windows

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

gfurst

Nov 6, 2019
Ok, so I just found what I think is my first MZ game, besides the different folder structure, I believe it should work, but how do you arrange them?

May 26, 2019
Hey pk2000 and cold_arctus,

I encountered a problem when using the Linux version of the nw.js tool provided in the first/main post of this thread for the game A Struggle with Sin.

It seems that particular game and potentially many other RPGM-MV games are using/referring to an older version of the Linux fontconfig and this prevents the game from running successfully.

Using these two resources and , I was able to find and implement the solution to this issue.
The two resources also explain the errors I was facing when trying to get A Struggle with Sin to run successfully on Linux.

The solution was to first create a new "fonts" folder that itself, contains the correct "fonts.conf" file.
That file contains the following contents: <fontconfig><dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir><cachedir>fonts</cachedir></fontconfig>

Then, create a "Game.sh" file with the following contents:

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
FONTCONFIG_PATH=fonts ./nw
Once these two things are done, then you make the "Game.sh" file executable and run it.

The first game launch will take a while since the game has to create all the other required fonts files.

But afterwards, it launches pretty quick.

I'm telling you this because I have created a new version of the nw.js zipped tar file for Linux which contains these fixes.

But I don't know where to go to share this new version of the Linux nw.js tool with the fixes.

I'm aware that pk2000 hasn't logged into his account in over a year and probably won't see this post.

So what should I do next?

wharlUm2ocow

Dec 25, 2019

I encountered a problem when using the Linux version of the nw.js tool provided in the first/main post of this thread for the game A Struggle with Sin.

It seems that particular game and potentially many other RPGM-MV games are using/referring to an older version of the Linux fontconfig and this prevents the game from running successfully.

Using these two resources and , I was able to find and implement the solution to this issue.
The two resources also explain the errors I was facing when trying to get A Struggle with Sin to run successfully on Linux.

The solution was to first create a new "fonts" folder that itself, contains the correct "fonts.conf" file.
That file contains the following contents: <fontconfig><dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir><cachedir>fonts</cachedir></fontconfig>

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
Once these two things are done, then you make the "Game.sh" file executable and run it.

The first game launch will take a while since the game has to create all the other required fonts files.

I'm telling you this because I have created a new version of the nw.js zipped tar file for Linux which contains these fixes.

But I don't know where to go to share this new version of the Linux nw.js tool with the fixes.

I'm aware that pk2000 hasn't logged into his account in over a year and probably won't see this post.

on rules page for different forums I see always "report posts to mods". I think report is used as general notify, not exclusive to snitching. I think if you report your post and explain they will add to OP. I think also if you have github it might be good to make. git is high in search rank results

May 26, 2019
New Instructions for Linux Users:

NOTE: Since RGP-Maker MV is running/utilizing an old version of Linux's fontconfig, the below steps will have to be applied if you want RPG-Maker MV games to run correctly on your Linux devices

1) Download and Extract the Linux Version of the NWJS tool

2) Go into the folder called "nwjs-v0.29.0-linux-x64"

3) Within that folder, create a new folder called "fonts" (folder must be spelled exactly as shown in quotes with the exact same capitalization) and then go into that "fonts" folder

4) Within the "fonts" folder, create a file called "fonts.conf" (file must be spelled exactly as shown in quotes with the exact same capitalization)

5) Open the "fonts.conf" file you've created. Then copy and paste the below code into the the "fonts.conf" file:
Code:
<fontconfig>
    <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
    <cachedir>fonts</cachedir>
</fontconfig>

6) Save that file, close it, and then go back into the folder called "nwjs-v0.29.0-linux-x64"

7) Now create a new file called "Game.sh" within the "nwjs-v0.29.0-linux-x64" folder and then open that file

8) Within the now open "Game.sh" file, paste the below code that you should copy:
Bash:
#!/bin/sh

9) Save and close that now edited "Game.sh" file and go back to the folder called "nwjs-v0.29.0-linux-x64"

10) Now make both the "nw" file and the "Game.sh" file executable using the code below:
NOTE: Run each line shown below one at a time within your Linux terminal!
Code:
chmod +x nw
chomd +x Game.sh

11) Copy all the contents of the "nwjs-v0.29.0-linux-x64" folder into the main folder of your desired game
NOTE: That main folder of the game should contain the "www" folder, the "lib" folder, and the "locales" folder
NOTE: During the copying process, when you are asked to either "replace" or "merge" certain folders or files, choose "Replace All" and "Merge All" respectively

12) Finally, run/execute the "Game.sh" file (NOT the "nw" file) in order to start the game
NOTE: The first launching of the game may take a while since the game has to create all the additional font files within the "fonts" folder you created. Subsequent launchings of the game should not take as long

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018

Bash:
#!/bin/sh

Did you try the game with a newer version of nw.js from here (

Reactions: TheGrandMasterCory
May 26, 2019
No, I did not, because I remember pk2000 saying that newer versions of nw.js don't work for RPG-Maker MV.

His specific statement was:
3) Those are for pixi 5 (are compatible with MZ and not MV) ... but if you want to use them you should "upgrade" the engine to MV Game Engine
Unless I've misunderstood his quote above, I don't think the newer versions of nw.js can work for RPG-Maker MV.

EDIT: I realize that pk2000's above quote was in regards to the Pixi.js tool and not nw.js

Last edited:
May 26, 2019
This worked but my only warning to other Linux users is that latest version of NW.js for Linux might not work on your system.

So try the latest version and then keep downgrading using this list , until you find the NW.js version that works.

Lastly, while you are testing, do NOT copy and paste the contents of the "nwjs-v0.*-linux" folder into the main game folder of your chosen RPG-Maker MV game.

This will require to constantly delete and then re-extract/rebuild the game - a time-costly endeavor.

So, rather than constantly re-extracting/rebuilding your chosen RPG-Maker MV game, you should instead:

1) Copy the game's "www" folder and its "package.json" file from main game folder, into the "nwjs-v0.*-linux" folder

2) Make the "nw" file in the "nwjs-v0.*-linux" folder executable:
Bash:
chmod +x nw
3) Run/Execute the "nw" file to test if the current version of NW.js that you have installed will work

If the game crashes and you get a "Failed to get vkGetInstanceProcAddr" error, you'll have to downgrade NW.js!

Hope this helps someone out there.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
This worked but my only warning to other Linux users is that latest version of NW.js for Linux might not work on your system.

So try the latest version and then keep downgrading using this list , until you find the NW.js version that works.

Lastly, while you are testing, do NOT copy and paste the contents of the "nwjs-v0.*-linux" folder into the main game folder of your chosen RPG-Maker MV game.

This will require to constantly delete and then re-extract/rebuild the game - a time-costly endeavor.

So, rather than constantly re-extracting/rebuilding your chosen RPG-Maker MV game, you should instead:

1) Copy the game's "www" folder and its "package.json" file from main game folder, into the "nwjs-v0.*-linux" folder

2) Make the "nw" file in the "nwjs-v0.*-linux" folder executable:
Bash:
chmod +x nw
3) Run/Execute the "nw" file to test if the current version of NW.js that you have installed will work

If the game crashes and you get a "Failed to get vkGetInstanceProcAddr" error, you'll have to downgrade NW.js!

Hope this helps someone out there.
That's exactly how I do it. :D

Not all RPGMV plugins are compatible with the updated engine files, too. Some games might not run or need additional tweaking.

Reactions: TheGrandMasterCory

chump114

May 20, 2020
can anyone help me? i've gotten the latest nwjs that works with rpgm (70.0) and i've done exactly what TheGrandMasterCory instructed to do when it came with fontconfig but i still have these corrupted text these from time to time, they aren't too gamebreaking but its still quite a hindrance.

shit.png

The game is Yes My Lord btw

lashante

Mar 25, 2018
hello guys, i learned native javascript, html,css. i googled and found out that i can try to make, edit games in rpgm vm, can anyone tell me which soft and what i need before i will start course from youtube? i downloaded free version from official site , is that enough ? what do i need to do next?

dikau

Dec 16, 2019
hello guys, i learned native javascript, html,css. i googled and found out that i can try to make, edit games in rpgm vm, can anyone tell me which soft and what i need before i will start course from youtube? i downloaded free version from official site , is that enough ? what do i need to do next?
AFAIK, RPGM MV is a game engine designed to be super user-friendly and one of its cool features is that you don't need any programming experience to create games with it. Well, at least until you hit the limits of what the engine can do on its own, and for that you can customize things using plugins.
Starting from MV, and now MZ, plugins are where you might need some JavaScript skills.

And yes, you'll only need the full version of the software (engine) from the official site. As for creating plugins, you'll only need text editor (I think the engine provide it) and of course a knowledge of Javascript and better understanding of the engine it self.

Edit:
You don't even need to create plugins because there are plenty of plugins that have been created for your need that you can buy (or pirate)

Last edited:

lashante

Mar 25, 2018
AFAIK, RPGM MV is a game engine designed to be super user-friendly and one of its cool features is that you don't need any programming experience to create games with it. Well, at least until you hit the limits of what the engine can do on its own, and for that you can customize things using plugins.
Starting from MV, and now MZ, plugins are where you might need some JavaScript skills.

And yes, you'll only need the full version of the software (engine) from the official site. As for creating plugins, you'll only need text editor (I think the engine provide it) and of course a knowledge of Javascript and better understanding of the engine it self.

Edit:
You don't even need to create plugins because there are plenty of plugins that have been created for your need that you can buy (or pirate)
thanks kind man.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes