Seeking Running out of Renpy games

xJumpManx

Jul 27, 2018
So I guess its time to try some RPGM games. What are the best one you guys have tried.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
You should also keep in mind that some visual novels are made in Unity3D or other game engines as well!

That being said, I would suggest you Claire's quest, The Last Sovereign and The Fate of Irnia (Not RPG Maker)

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
I don't play Unity games. Not because they're poor or because Unity is bad, it's because it seems to be a crapshoot how much it clutters (or not) the pc (registry mainly). Some even save to reg.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I don't play Unity games. Not because they're poor or because Unity is bad, it's because it seems to be a crapshoot how much it clutters (or not) the pc (registry mainly). Some even save to reg.
All applications write in the registry, especially games, that's what the registry is for.

There is some truth in what you say though and that is that unity seems to promote writing data in the registry which should be otherwise be written in normal files and new developers of course go ahead and follow the simplest way to save data.

Taking that aside, Unity is a serious engine used by AAA companies as well and it has the capabilities to write saves into files just as Unreal has the capabilities to write in the registry should the developer choose to do so.

In my game, for instance, all the save files are written in My Documents/My Games/Workers of Kartedhir, together with screenshots and settings... Although the standard seems to have changed to appdata for a while, only older games seem to write in that location but that's beside the point :p
The only data written in the registry by my game is done automatically and it is pretty standard stuff that should be written in the registry anyways and that includes resolution and monitor used.

The reason I hate how Unity promotes the writing of save data in Registry is that a player cannot back it up as easily or even share it with other players, the only stuff that should be written in the registry is stuff that should not be shared because it would not be true in each computer that reads it (resolution and monitor used, for instance).

As a comparison I took a look at other applications, such as RPG Maker, and they do have some extra useless stuff that should be written as a file instead, I even found a "Facebook" entry with a lot of crap in it and I have not used facebook in 5 years :eek:

Reactions: freedom.call

CLDꝜ

̷ ̷ ̶ ̴ ̴ ̴ ̷ ̸ ̸ ̷ ̵ ̸ ̸ ̴ ̵ ̷ ̵ ̴ ̶ ̴ ̶ ̵ ̶ ̴ ̵
Staff member
Community Liaison
Jul 7, 2017
I'm not a big fan of RPGM games myself, but there is a few I've had fun playing.
Crimson Veil and Lust Epidemic are both pretty enjoyable. Lust Epidemic is a bit grindy, as you have to search for stuff all the time, but the walkthrough helps.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
All applications write in the registry, especially games, that's what the registry is for.

There is some truth in what you say though and that is that unity seems to promote writing data in the registry which should be otherwise be written in normal files and new developers of course go ahead and follow the simplest way to save data.

As a comparison I took a look at other applications, such as RPG Maker, and they do have some extra useless stuff that should be written as a file instead, I even found a "Facebook" entry with a lot of crap in it and I have not used facebook in 5 years :eek:
Good post. (y) Like I indicated my issue isn't Unity as such but how the game dev sets it up I guess. I'm aware pretty much everything puts stuff in registry in order to work. I play on a bog standard machine so everything slows it down. :D
Renpy seems to play better fwiw, I assume it's a less complex engine.

I don't play RPGM games for a different reason, I suck at that, my eyes glaze over as I stare at the monitor. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Good post. (y) Like I indicated my issue isn't Unity as such but how the game dev sets it up I guess. I'm aware pretty much everything puts stuff in registry in order to work. I play on a bog standard machine so everything slows it down. :D
Renpy seems to play better fwiw, I assume it's a less complex engine.

I don't play RPGM games for a different reason, I suck at that, my eyes glaze over as I stare at the monitor. :ROFLMAO:
You would hate my game then, it is made in Unity with a style similar to RPGM :p

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
You would hate my game then, it is made in Unity with a style similar to RPGM :p
I better not try it then, I will never hate something I haven't tried. :) I'm not a gamer type tbh, I don't play non-adult 'normal' games.

Thanks for listening and replying.

Reactions: Winterfire

HunterSeeker

Engaged Member
May 13, 2017
  • Beat Blades Haruka
  • Book of Hypnosis and Climax
  • Brave Alchemist Colette
  • Civilian Justice League
  • Demons Roots