Others Sanctuary in Time [v1.4.6] [Novus Operandi Game Design]

3.00 star(s) 4 Votes

Amarinth12

Nov 9, 2022
Also, he's just a random guy that suddenly happens to be 'the chosen one' or something, and transported to another dimension. He doesn't even makes something to deserve that status of 'demigod' and master of all those beautiful women by his own capabilities and effort. The dev should have put some more effort in the MC's story and background, since the player has to play as him and identify with him.
Bro, Fate/Stay Night has almost similar plot yet it became the foundation of Fate franchise and worshipped by many. I don't think the random guy with no quality part is really matter if he has good character development and some added twist somewhere in the middle of the story.

• Sad
Reactions: Suiko

FafnirOD

Nov 9, 2022
Bro, Fate/Stay Night has almost similar plot yet it became the foundation of Fate franchise and worshipped by many. I don't think the random guy with no quality part is really matter if he has good character development and some added twist somewhere in the middle of the story.
Shirou? Random guy? No quality?

What?

May 17, 2020
MC's only initial qualifications is that the whole facility was ruled by his father (not a spoiler, that's the prologue of the story) and through this connection he can faff around it too. As one can expect, he's then tied to the facility and can't really 'go out there and be badass' on his own.

The game could use an option for MC to actively train along his flock (some of it is already present, his warriors and martially-inclined girls will appreciate a sparring session on a date) leading to a more active role during various events (purely cosmetic would be just fine, IMO), but nonetheless, he does/can become fairly competent (or more) on his own by the end of the story (especially in the art of sandwiches).

Reactions: Amedore

Amarinth12

Nov 9, 2022
Shirou? Random guy? No quality?

What?
Shirou was a random guy with no real quality in the beginning of VN. If you want to dig deeper he's literally random guy who was saved by Kiritsugu because he has nothing else to be saved. Apart from 'strong will' he has no real quality. He's so unlike good written character like Kiritsugu and other character from Zero, at least from the get-go.

FafnirOD

Nov 9, 2022
Shirou was a random guy with no real quality in the beginning of VN. If you want to dig deeper he's literally random guy who was saved by Kiritsugu because he has nothing else to be saved. Apart from 'strong will' he has no real quality. He's so unlike good written character like Kiritsugu and other character from Zero, at least from the get-go.
If you want to pretend that you had read the VN, don't make shit up in front of people that did.

As with the other classic Type-Moon protagonists, he has a few screws loose in his head and this was heavily implied even during the common route and the earlier parts of the Fate route.

Apart from 'strong will' he has no real quality. He's so unlike good written character like Kiritsugu and other character from Zero
There are no words to express my disgust.

walletgod211

Nov 17, 2019
I'm pretty sure Shirou Emiya is a pretty fascinating character, the reason he saves people isn't because it's the right thing to do but because saving people is basically the only thing that makes him feel happy, he doesn't save people because he wants to, he saves people because he needs to.

Archer is his future self, he basically lived the rest of his life saving people for a single wish, he wanted to smile the same way Kiritsugu smiled when he was saved by him.

in the end he got executed by the people he saved and he wasn't even able to die in peace, due to his contract with the counterforce he's basically forced to kill the few to save the many, he basically died and went to his own personal hell.

So yes, Shirou Emiya isn't just some random audience insert, he's a completely fleshed out character, the VN would still be good without the sex scenes or even the love interest, I'd go as far as to say that the sex scenes in the vn felt like it was put in at the last second.

Amarinth12

Nov 9, 2022
If you want to pretend that you had read the VN, don't make shit up in front of people that did.

As with the other classic Type-Moon protagonists, he has a few screws loose in his head and this was heavily implied even during the common route and the earlier parts of the Fate route.
Dude, I'm not a huge fan of Typemoon but I've read and watched Fate/SN at least.

Just admit from the start off he's no better than fucking Naruto. He couldn't' even use magic properly nor summon properly and only able to managed to summon Saber because he got Avalon planted in his body.

The first glimpse you get from him is literally like any other characters in VN. Only as the story develops he got the character development and lore. He didn't started out as badass and that's why I called him doesn't get special quality. Compared it to Kiritsugu, he started off in the story as an assassin. He's just ordinary student with a twist. What's wrong with you?

Amarinth12

Nov 9, 2022
I'm pretty sure Shirou Emiya is a pretty fascinating character, the reason he saves people isn't because it's the right thing to do but because saving people is basically the only thing that makes him feel happy, he doesn't save people because he wants to, he saves people because he needs to.

Archer is his future self, he basically lived the rest of his life saving people for a single wish, he wanted to smile the same way Kiritsugu smiled when he was saved by him.

in the end he got executed by the people he saved and he wasn't even able to die in peace, due to his contract with the counterforce he's basically forced to kill the few to save the many, he basically died and went to his own personal hell.

So yes, Shirou Emiya isn't just some random audience insert, he's a completely fleshed out character, the VN would still be good without the sex scenes or even the love interest, I'd go as far as to say that the sex scenes in the vn felt like it was put in at the last second.
That first part you wrote is what makes me think he's started out as any ordinary VN characters. Almost 99% VN MC out there saving people because they have unholy amounts of altruistic sense inside them. It becomes cliché that Shirou's personality at the start is comparable with Yuzusoft VN's MC which ironically coming from completely different genre and targeted audience.

I don't deny he's good character. But not because he started out as one, he got moulded into a better person in the later story and with some twist. That's why I don't think you or the people who ranted about how biggest Typemoon nerd he is above you, know what I really mean by saying he's just ordinary random guy but become completely badass.

The main point is, I don't think any character needs to be exactly 'worth' to be a main character at the start. The character development in the story exists for a reason. It depicted to the audience how's hero journey (from absolute zero in this case). And that's why I think the character in this game is alright as long as he got more depth later in the story.

FafnirOD

Nov 9, 2022
Dude, I'm not a huge fan of Typemoon but I've read and watched Fate/SN at least.

Just admit from the start off he's no better than fucking Naruto. He couldn't' even use magic properly nor summon properly and only able to managed to summon Saber because he got Avalon planted in his body.

The first glimpse you get from him is literally like any other characters in VN. Only as the story develops he got the character development and lore. He didn't started out as badass and that's why I called him doesn't get special quality. Compared it to Kiritsugu, he started off in the story as an assassin. He's just ordinary student with a twist. What's wrong with you?
The VN dropped multiple, hardly vague hints about his mind state early on in the story.
Tohsaka and Saber would reprimand Shirou for his unusual lack of self-preservation (under certain circumstances) but the latter would always weakly deny their suspicions.
Both Tohsaka and Shirou had an excellent bit of storytelling where their actions don't align with their words and this contradiction is evident even during the common route.
Shirou's discussions with Tohsaka about his Magecraft, his unusual ease of imaging the structure of objects and several Bad Ends early on in the Fate route had alluded to his Reality Marble.

The narrative's outright telling the reader that their current impressions of the character was a red herring. You didn't read jack.

Last edited:

anonwk3

Oct 25, 2021
Why are all arguing about a behemoth franchise in a thread dedicated to a nice game about collecting waifus and making them buff isn't there some fate/stay night parody game you can argue in? If I wanna see that I'll go to MAL or something

RoseWulfLea

Jul 1, 2020
Why are all arguing about a behemoth franchise in a thread dedicated to a nice game about collecting waifus and making them buff isn't there some fate/stay night parody game you can argue in? If I wanna see that I'll go to MAL or something
Some people just get off topic and stay there, its and issue I keep seeing in other threads as well. Though I feel like people really need to work to stay on topic. This isn't a discord server where an off topic convo can happen and be moved past in an hour, from what I've seen threads going off topic can go for weeks.

3.00 star(s) 4 Votes