Seeking Sandbox survival in post apocalyptic setting

Azt1234

Sep 28, 2019
Hello, as I'm a big fan, I've decided to make comprehensive post gathering sandbox survival games in post-apocalyptic (or similar) setting.

By that I mean: open (or semi-open) world, survival aspect (you need to gather resources or you/your people will die), you have a central hub to which you return and where you keep people you've rescued. Setting doesn't have to be post-apocalypse, but there should be danger all around and only in your safehouse you (and other people) are safe - also other people must rely on the player to gather supplies. Game placed in the middle of amazon rainforest would fit there aswell.

Oh yeah, important thing, you should be able to rescue NPCs and develop relationships with them at your safehouse. Incest is optional but welcomed.

- A Zombie's Life by Nergal - RPGM, 2DCG, "Completed", Incest (mother, sister, aunt), zombie setting, large open area to explore and scavenge. You need to gather food, water, rescue more characters and romance each one of them. Very good game and it's completed, but there's still a lot of unfinished features and bugs. Unavailable on f95 due to Rule 7 (which i think isn't fair, the game doesn't violate this rule IMO but f95 had to put the line somewhere and they decided this game crosses it, it isn't up for us to debate) In my spare time I'm fixing bugs and trying to "finish" this game so if you want you can ask me for a build.

-
Zombie's Retreat, Zombie's Retreat 2: Gridlocked - RPGM, 2DCG, Completed/WIP, "Incest" (sister, mother and aunt, but you need to name them yourself and it's less organic). Basically A Zombie's Life made from scratch and finished. I like it less but it is personal preference.

-
Overgrown: Genesis - RPGM, 2DCG, Completed, female protagonist. Made by Dystopian Project so you know the quality is good, sadly there's not much of sandbox survival in here (you progress through linear world) and you're never leader of the camp. "Survival" here is more "The Last of Us" than "Don't Starve".

- Osanagocoronokimini games (The Zombie Hazard, The Zombie Island) - RPGM, Completed, Machine translated, 2DCG but bad, there are at most several scees recycled over and over again. Most games from this creator are unavailable here because of Rule 7 (and this one is ABSOLUTELY deserved). You can rescue characters but interactions in camp are limited.

- Mist - Ren'Py, 3DCG, Completed - Can't say much cause i didn't enjoy this game. You're stuck at mountain hut, surrounded by thick fog with monsters lurking within. You can romance girls staying at your hut and dwelve into the dangerous fog to progress the story. I don't recall any survival aspects but might have had forgotten.

- Shelter - Ren'Py, 2DCG, Completed, Incest (mother, sister) - You're "the man of the house", or rather of the bunker. Need to scavenge for food (although "scavenge" means you pick option scavenge and it happens, no gameplay there), you can romance every girl in good or corrupt way. Good idea, worse execution. Feels very rushed. Not unfinished, just half-assed.

- Lust and Power - Ren'Py, 2DCG, In-development, Incest (mother, sister) - I like it, the town is cut-off from the rest of the world and you live with your mother and sister, quickly you take role of "the man of the house", gathering food and other supplies (necessary for survival) in sandbox gameplay loop. Also you can go for "good" or "evil" path when dealing with other characters, so it's a major advantage. There's a lot of drama about the development process which i won't describe here, but this game may very well never be finished.

- Apocalypse - Ren'Py, Completed, 3DCG, Incest (mother) - Over-the-top masuclinity, comically gigantic muscles and genitals, ugh, read about it in game's thread, I hate it.

- It's a New World Out There - Ren'Py, Abandoned, 3DCG. I remember it being good, sadly it isn't finished at all. Sandbox-like gameplay in post-apocalyptic setting, but I'm not sure if there's actually any threat.

- My fallen angels - Ren'Py, Completed, 3DCG - Didn't play it yet but seems interesting.

I will add games there as I'll recall more. Please, write your own suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bocahgembrot

Bocahgembrot

Dec 8, 2023
Hello, as I'm a big fan, I've decided to make comprehensive post gathering sandbox survival games in post-apocalyptic (or similar) setting.

By that I mean: open (or semi-open) world, survival aspect (you need to gather resources or you/your people will die), you have a central hub to which you return and where you keep people you've rescued. Setting doesn't have to be post-apocalypse, but there should be danger all around and only in your safehouse you (and other people) are safe - also other people must rely on the player to gather supplies. Game placed in the middle of amazon rainforest would fit there aswell.

Oh yeah, important thing, you should be able to rescue NPCs and develop relationships with them at your safehouse. Incest is optional but welcomed.

- A Zombie's Life by Nergal - RPGM, 2DCG, "Completed", Incest (mother, sister, aunt), zombie setting, large open area to explore and scavenge. You need to gather food, water, rescue more characters and romance each one of them. Very good game and it's completed, but there's still a lot of unfinished features and bugs. Unavailable on f95 due to Rule 7 (which i think isn't fair, the game doesn't violate this rule IMO but f95 had to put the line somewhere and they decided this game crosses it, it isn't up for us to debate) In my spare time I'm fixing bugs and trying to "finish" this game so if you want you can ask me for a build.

-
Zombie's Retreat, Zombie's Retreat 2: Gridlocked - RPGM, 2DCG, Completed/WIP, "Incest" (sister, mother and aunt, but you need to name them yourself and it's less organic). Basically A Zombie's Life made from scratch and finished. I like it less but it is personal preference.

-
Overgrown: Genesis - RPGM, 2DCG, Completed, female protagonist. Made by Dystopian Project so you know the quality is good, sadly there's not much of sandbox survival in here (you progress through linear world) and you're never leader of the camp. "Survival" here is more "The Last of Us" than "Don't Starve".

- Osanagocoronokimini games (The Zombie Hazard, The Zombie Island) - RPGM, Completed, Machine translated, 2DCG but bad, there are at most several scees recycled over and over again. Most games from this creator are unavailable here because of Rule 7 (and this one is ABSOLUTELY deserved). You can rescue characters but interactions in camp are limited.

- Mist - Ren'Py, 3DCG, Completed - Can't say much cause i didn't enjoy this game. You're stuck at mountain hut, surrounded by thick fog with monsters lurking within. You can romance girls staying at your hut and dwelve into the dangerous fog to progress the story. I don't recall any survival aspects but might have had forgotten.

- Shelter - Ren'Py, 2DCG, Completed, Incest (mother, sister) - You're "the man of the house", or rather of the bunker. Need to scavenge for food (although "scavenge" means you pick option scavenge and it happens, no gameplay there), you can romance every girl in good or corrupt way. Good idea, worse execution. Feels very rushed. Not unfinished, just half-assed.

- Lust and Power - Ren'Py, 2DCG, In-development, Incest (mother, sister) - I like it, the town is cut-off from the rest of the world and you live with your mother and sister, quickly you take role of "the man of the house", gathering food and other supplies (necessary for survival) in sandbox gameplay loop. Also you can go for "good" or "evil" path when dealing with other characters, so it's a major advantage. There's a lot of drama about the development process which i won't describe here, but this game may very well never be finished.

- Apocalypse - Ren'Py, Completed, 3DCG, Incest (mother) - Ughh, read about it in game's thread, I hate it.

- It's a New World Out There - Ren'Py, Abandoned, 3DCG. I remember it being good, sadly it isn't finished at all. Sandbox-like gameplay in post-apocalyptic setting, but I'm not sure if there's actually any threat.

- My fallen angels - Ren'Py, Completed, 3DCG - Didn't play it yet but seems interesting.

I will add games there as I'll recall more. Please, write your own suggestions.
Thank you, mate. Love this suggestion. May i have your finished "a zombie's life" build?