VN Ren'Py Scarlet Ashbringer [v0.2.5a] [Scarlet Ashbringer Studio]

5.00 star(s) 7 Votes

Scarlet Ashbringer

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2020
So it seems that 0.2.3b didn´t fix anything for me. The "look around" option just again leads to mc commenting on trees and fresh air. Even after Chromie did her magic with my save.

And just like all the others I have finished every quest from before.
Dude something else in the code must be cocked up.
Yes, I don't understand what. So for now, I just added the option to forcefully start Jaina update at Chromie's

0.2.3c
PC :
Mac :

Changelog
  • Added an option to forcefully start the Jaina update at Chromie. Only accessible if you finished Hearthglen's storyline

CarpeDiem69

Mar 5, 2018
Spending time with Jaina won't advance the plot despite Chromie saying it should and picking "look around" option reset Jaina's whole arc. Am I missing something?

Scarlet Ashbringer

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2020
Spending time with Jaina won't advance the plot despite Chromie saying it should and picking "look around" option reset Jaina's whole arc. Am I missing something?
That's weird. The problem is the "reading_session_event_1" not being set as waiting but as unavailable, but it is supposed to be set as waiting the second you walk in Jaina Update. And I don't know how you managed to start Jaina without flagging it
Did you use a beta save perhaps ? I really have no idea how it happened
Anyway, here's your save fixed

Reactions: CarpeDiem69

JeyZut

Feb 15, 2018
So more bad news for you Dev, Jaina quest still bugged for me. I try to restart a game to check various things and I discover new bugs.
First one with Chromie at the very start of the game when you speak to her in the tower :

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/tyrs_hand.rpy", line 745, in <module>
NameError: name 'taelan_event_availability_6' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "tyrs_hand.rpyc", line 740, in script
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1628, in execute
    choice = renpy.exports.menu(choices, self.set, args, kwargs, item_arguments)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 956, in menu
    condition = renpy.python.py_eval(condition)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2039, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2032, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Scarlet Ashbringer 0.2.3c
Tue Jan 03 13:54:32 2023
I decided to keep the story nevertheless but Auronia quest was bugged : I had to do her quest with the cabaret twice and the quest was still posted as "I need to find a musician if I want Auronia to perform dances" + she was both in Corin and Lithien Lodge despite the attack. Also the invasion on Corin never came but I can't recall if it had a link with Chromie.
Last bug I discover was with the gallery in our private quarters, it works for everyone one except for Whitemane and Abbendis :
Code:

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 531, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "game/myscreens.rpy", line 1688, in execute
  File "game/myscreens.rpy", line 1698, in execute
  File "game/myscreens.rpy", line 1714, in execute
NameError: name 'abbendis_massage_unlocked' is not defined

Full traceback:
  File "corin.rpyc", line 2557, in script
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1949, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1937, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\statements.py", line 277, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 2905, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2702, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 541, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback, seen)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 541, in visit_all
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 430, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in <lambda>
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 440, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 625, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "<screen language>", line 1714, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Tue Jan 03 14:02:35 2023
Her massage is unlocked, don't know why it shows the kind of error. And for Whitemane :
Code:

While running game code:
  File "game/myscreens.rpy", line 1752, in execute
  File "game/myscreens.rpy", line 1786, in execute
NameError: name 'whitemane_shower_unlocked' is not defined

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1949, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1937, in call
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\statements.py", line 277, in call
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 2905, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2702, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in interact_core
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 430, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in <lambda>
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 440, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 625, in update
  File "<screen language>", line 1786, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Tue Jan 03 14:03:19 2023
And for this case indeed I did not unlocked the shower for this save but still, if I have no problem with Lilian on this save then neither should Whitemane
Good luck with that and keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Scarlet Ashbringer

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2020
So more bad news for you Dev, Jaina quest still bugged for me. I try to restart a game to check various things and I discover new bugs.
First one with Chromie at the very start of the game when you speak to her in the tower :

Code:

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1628, in execute
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 956, in menu
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2039, in py_eval
  File "C:\Users\sypho\3D Objects\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2032, in py_eval_bytecode

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Tue Jan 03 13:54:32 2023
I decided to keep the story nevertheless but Auronia quest was bugged : I had to do her quest with the cabaret twice and the quest was still posted as "I need to find a musician if I want Auronia to perform dances" + she was both in Corin and Lithien Lodge despite the attack. Also the invasion on Corin never came but I can't recall if it had a link with Chromie.
Last bug I discover was with the gallery in our private quarters, it works for everyone one except for Whitemane and Abbendis :
Code:

While running game code:

Full traceback:
    self.call("execute")
    callback(self)
    self.update()

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Tue Jan 03 14:02:35 2023
Her massage is unlocked, don't know why it shows the kind of error. And for Whitemane :
Code:

While running game code:

Full traceback:
    self.call("execute")
    callback(self)
    self.update()
  File "<screen language>", line 1786, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Tue Jan 03 14:03:19 2023
And for this case indeed I did not unlocked the shower for this save but still, if I have no problem with Lilian on this save then Whiteman neither.
Good luck with that and keep up the good work.
Good new is, it's easy to fix, I just have to set up all the missing variables
I'm more annoyed than it somehow escaped weeks of beta testing and the patreon release... So sorry it happened

xumbrega2

Jun 23, 2022
Hey, i thought i had finished all routes and quests but when i look at the Abbendis scenes in my private quartes the middle one is yet to be unlocked. Any ideas in what i missed?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Scarlet Ashbringer

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2020
Hey, i thought i had finished all routes and quests but when i look at the Abbendis scenes in my private quartes the middle one is yet to be unlocked. Any ideas in what i missed?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Well that would be the massage and I doubt you missed it. Most likely it's a gallery malfuction

Kainit103

Jun 5, 2020
Problem with the quest to find explosives. In the past (before Jaina's update), I miraculously completed this quest, but Jaina's update reset its progress. I went around all the locations and worked at the bar 10 times but did not find / get anything. In general, this quest is still a pain. I ask you, even at the cost of loading the quest list, to make separate quests to find ingredients for the bombs, just to make it easier to track this torture in the next updates.
After Jaina's quest, I received a message stating that there was some content left with young Jaina, but attempts to interact with her did not lead to anything.
Otherwise, there are no complaints about the game. Is that a little personally saddens me that there is not much content with Sally (well, what can I say, girls with silver or white hair and red eyes are my weakness :)).

Scarlet Ashbringer

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2020
Problem with the quest to find explosives. In the past (before Jaina's update), I miraculously completed this quest, but Jaina's update reset its progress. I went around all the locations and worked at the bar 10 times but did not find / get anything. In general, this quest is still a pain. I ask you, even at the cost of loading the quest list, to make separate quests to find ingredients for the bombs, just to make it easier to track this torture in the next updates.
After Jaina's quest, I received a message stating that there was some content left with young Jaina, but attempts to interact with her did not lead to anything.
Otherwise, there are no complaints about the game. Is that a little personally saddens me that there is not much content with Sally (well, what can I say, girls with silver or white hair and red eyes are my weakness :)).
I will look into it, tho the explosives aren't in the bar but in the sawmill. The triggers are in the tavern. I will look into this to make subquest, I didn't want to fload the quest log but now that I separate routes and quests I realize it's mostly routes so it must be doable
Sorry you encountered this bug, if that help it cannot be completed because I have yet to implement the reward ^^'

Saigasei

Jan 2, 2018
Can't progress, got the Auronia quest for musician twice.
I talk to chromie, I get an error
I try to use the book in private quarters, I get errors
Version 0.2.3c

Code:
```

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "tyrs_hand.rpyc", line 3535, in script
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1949, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1937, in call
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\statements.py", line 277, in call
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 2905, in call_screen
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2702, in interact
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in interact_core
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 541, in visit_all
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 541, in visit_all
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 430, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in <lambda>
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 440, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 625, in update

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Mon Jan 09 19:06:59 2023
```
Code:
[code]

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1628, in execute
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 956, in menu
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2039, in py_eval
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2032, in py_eval_bytecode

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Mon Jan 09 19:08:00 2023
[/CODE]

Scarlet Ashbringer

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2020
Can't progress, got the Auronia quest for musician twice.
I talk to chromie, I get an error
I try to use the book in private quarters, I get errors
Version 0.2.3c

Code:
```

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "tyrs_hand.rpyc", line 3535, in script
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1949, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1937, in call
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\statements.py", line 277, in call
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 2905, in call_screen
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2702, in interact
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in interact_core
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 430, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in <lambda>
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 440, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 625, in update

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Mon Jan 09 19:06:59 2023
```
Code:
[code]

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1628, in execute
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 956, in menu
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2039, in py_eval
  File "D:\Programs\stuff\1Stuff2\ScarletAshbringer-0.2.3c-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2032, in py_eval_bytecode

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Mon Jan 09 19:08:00 2023
[/CODE]

Yeah the 0.2.3c turned out to be pretty unstable. I just learnt about default value and other trick to make the game more stable, I should release the D version tomorrow
For now I'll fix your save, hold on

EDIT : Woah, there are bugs I've never encountered before, and like a lot of them. Is it because of the undeath path ? I'm not sure I can salvage your save. I will keep looking but it will take time
Sorry that happened

EDIT 2 : I think I got it. It was due to a change of technology for Quel'Lithien Lodge, I misflagged an event. It will be fixed for the 0.2.3d, so thank you for bringing this bug to my attention
Here's your save. If you did an event several time, it may have other problems but I don't think it will be anything game breaking. let me know if you encounter more bug

Note : It also reveals a bug where, if you don't have any quest, you can see the variable name is hte questl go. It's just easthetic but I'll try to fix it ^^

Last edited:
Reactions: Eprofesy

Saigasei

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah the 0.2.3c turned out to be pretty unstable. I just learnt about default value and other trick to make the game more stable, I should release the D version tomorrow
For now I'll fix your save, hold on

EDIT : Woah, there are bugs I've never encountered before, and like a lot of them. Is it because of the undeath path ? I'm not sure I can salvage your save. I will keep looking but it will take time
Sorry that happened

EDIT 2 : I think I got it. It was due to a change of technology for Quel'Lithien Lodge, I misflagged an event. It will be fixed for the 0.2.3d, so thank you for bringing this bug to my attention
Here's your save. If you did an event several time, it may have other problems but I don't think it will be anything game breaking. let me know if you encounter more bug

Note : It also reveals a bug where, if you don't have any quest, you can see the variable name is hte questl go. It's just easthetic but I'll try to fix it ^^
Well loading that save seems to have broken the game a bit. Can't access the quest log anymore and still can't really figure out what to do to progress the story ss (2023-01-10 at 04.54.33).jpg
update: I tried reloading it and now the save won't even load
Code:
```

While running game code:
  File "game/myscreens.rpy", line 29, in execute
  File "game/myscreens.rpy", line 171, in execute
NameError: name 'abbendis_shower_event_availability_1' is not defined

Full traceback:
  File "stratholme_event.rpyc", line 141, in script
    self.call("execute")
    callback(self)
    self.update()
  File "<screen language>", line 171, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Tue Jan 10 16:57:55 2023
```

Scarlet Ashbringer

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2020
Well loading that save seems to have broken the game a bit. Can't access the quest log anymore and still can't really figure out what to do to progress the story View attachment 2300511
update: I tried reloading it and now the save won't even load
Code:
```

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "stratholme_event.rpyc", line 141, in script
    self.call("execute")
    callback(self)
    self.update()
  File "<screen language>", line 171, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.4.596
Tue Jan 10 16:57:55 2023
```
Damn it, because I used last version who cover undefined variable differently. Sorry about that. Try that

5.00 star(s) 7 Votes