Ren'Py Secret School [v0.01 Pre-Prologue] [TeamTwoSouls]

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
I do not know where we are missing each other, so please forgive me if I state too much.

Above, you suggested, "... just making the text speed 0 will solve all the text based transitions." :)

However, when any Ren'py game is running, if *I* look at the "Preferences" or "Settings" page under the heading, "Text Speed", all I see is a slider. There is only a slider under the title, "Text Speed", and nothing else.

There are no labels or markings on the slider and there is nowhere that I can find out what the slider does. I can not choose to set the text speed to 0 ... because a "0" does not exist for 'Text Speed'! :oops:

For example, if the "Text Speed" slider is pushed to the left: Does that make the text appear on the screen faster or slower than if it is pushed to the right? Or does it make the text disappear faster from the screen if pushed to the right? Or does that slider control how many lines of text appear on the screen at once — making the reader guess the words that are quickly pushed off the text box from the words below? Or worse, how will I know if a game designer changes what that slider does? Or a programmer leaves the slider there but removes its effects in their game? o_O

I strongly suspect that game designers are told by Ren'Py what that slider does, but no one tells the user who is trying to read the story or play the game! :mad:

So, when you stated, "... just making the text speed 0 will solve all the text based transitions.", I know I need to set the text speed to 0 when there are no labels on the slider!

So I asked if you are adding labels to that slider for readers of your game. (y)

Have I given enough information for you to start understanding my question?

e-d :)
What's not to understand about the sliders? All the way to the right is fastest speed, all the way left is slowest speed. Or you can adjust it anywhere between and get the speed you prefer. Simple.

WorkInSolitude

Game Developer
May 22, 2021
I do not know where we are missing each other, so please forgive me if I state too much.

Above, you suggested, "... just making the text speed 0 will solve all the text based transitions." :)

However, when any Ren'py game is running, if *I* look at the "Preferences" or "Settings" page under the heading, "Text Speed", all I see is a slider. There is only a slider under the title, "Text Speed", and nothing else.

There are no labels or markings on the slider and there is nowhere that I can find out what the slider does. I can not choose to set the text speed to 0 ... because a "0" does not exist for 'Text Speed'! :oops:

For example, if the "Text Speed" slider is pushed to the left: Does that make the text appear on the screen faster or slower than if it is pushed to the right? Or does it make the text disappear faster from the screen if pushed to the right? Or does that slider control how many lines of text appear on the screen at once — making the reader guess the words that are quickly pushed off the text box from the words below? Or worse, how will I know if a game designer changes what that slider does? Or a programmer leaves the slider there but removes its effects in their game? o_O

I strongly suspect that game designers are told by Ren'Py what that slider does, but no one tells the user who is trying to read the story or play the game! :mad:

So, when you stated, "... just making the text speed 0 will solve all the text based transitions.", I know I need to set the text speed to 0 when there are no labels on the slider!

So I asked if you are adding labels to that slider for readers of your game. (y)

Have I given enough information for you to start understanding my question?

e-d :)
I really appreciate for this detailed explanation.

First: In renpy, Text Speed controls the value of character per second (cps). So it means while creating the associated sentence that many character of it will be displayed in second. By the help of slider you adjust that amount. Let say you want this to set 60 but you dont see any information about specific text speed value. You are right on that topic. In default renpy only has text speed label and its slider. As you know not much people care about general value of text speed so there is none. I assume it is not a hard deal to put some "Text Speed Value Counter" or what you say "understandable label".

Second:For the function of text speed slider: As you know, sliding the slider to the left decreases the associated value while the opposite of its increases. I think we know about this. So if you decrease the amount of "cps" you will see the sentences slower. but if you increase the amount it will be faster. Here is the deal. If you slide the slider to right end side it should maximize the value of cps right? Even if you set the cps some big numbers you would still see the text character by character. The speed would be very fast but its still not immediately right? So renpy made it that if you maximize the value of cps by slider it will set its value to zero and that will activate some conditions and show the sentences right away.

So by saying "settin value 0" i just wanted to say maximize the text speed.

So some of those informations might known by developers or some users. But it dosent makes that all of the users or players must now this information. I agree with you. I will make sure that there will be some notification about usages of features or more detailed labels.

Again thank you for your feedback. :)

• Love
Reactions: e-disfunction

WorkInSolitude

Game Developer
May 22, 2021
Hi everyone, sorry for the long disappearance i did my military service for 6 months. It was my plan to share something before going so it was a bit rush for a first release game. It has so many unfinished work and not enough time to change and better some designs. After 6 months i worked for some time before taking a pen into my hand again. I needed some savings to work comfortably. I started developing again with the new year. Did some changes in artwork, story and concept.

Changes:
  • Concept and story: The first thing we wanted was to make ourselves be known so we made our decision that parody could help with that. But in the time i was at military i have drawing some sketch and rewriting scenarios of the game. I realized making my own was more enjoyable and without worrying copyrights or illegal things that i can't keep up, so we decided to change that. There is no story or character resemblance in this new game. Everything will be unique. There can be some similarities because of the starting point and characters with same ethnicities but not the same character concepts so don't complain about why is this character is not in the game or that character shouldn't be like this. All resemblance of characters and story is purely coincidence at this point. I'm not telling you to stop commenting what you like to see or not just don't make it like "she/he is not like that in that series" like this is based on someone's work.
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  • Artwork: I have drawn traditional like 5 months in the service and after coming had changed my style a little when drawing on the tablet. I missed drawing like that the difference can be seen in the image i shared at patreon. I've bought live 2d and started working on it.
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
    After some time i decided to discard character customization from the game there will some minor change like hairstyle and outfit etc. but full body customization dropped duo to live 2d restrictions. I can make player static and have customization but it will not merge with other characters style that much. I want some jiggle when talking you know what i mean :3
Lastly work plan:
First update will be in last days of February. I have 25-28 days of work plan and in this time i'll be going to be online with sharing the progress that i made. There will be weekly dev log and teases of some unfinished works. In the update will be 1 scene and introduction of the map and game system. 5 different possible starts. It will not be going to be much but it will be finished and polished.

PS: I'm not native speaker of English so if you find something you don't understand or i say something wrong please let me know.

-Wis

Last edited:
  • Hey there
Reactions: Alxwolf74