Semantics

Apr 28, 2017
While I absolutely love the story, can someone really copy the art? The amazing Hieronymus Bosch-gothic aesthetic (and who knows how many Japanese influences I might be missing) of Berserk is distinctly Miura's.
Probably wouldn't be the same but I'm hoping he wrote down his ideas for how he wanted to conclude the story at least, I'm not sure if the Berserk publisher would just let it die without a conclusion considering how well it sells.
Reportedly he had detailed notes for what would happen in the story, including the ending, though I haven't seen confirmation there.

What is more certain, though: Manga artists generally have assistants and Miura isn't any different there. He founded Studio Gaga so his assistants (Who have helped him on Berserk, and illustrate another manga concept he came up with, Duranki) could get credited and eventually be relied on to illustrate more, including illustrating more Berserk.

So the pieces are potentially there for it to be concluded, just a matter of what Miura's wishes on the subject were and if everything comes together. Edit: I should note I still find it somewhat unlikely; continuations after author deaths are rare. Just, the framework seems to exist for it to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pozar55

dhuemnptai

Jul 23, 2019
Reportedly he had detailed notes for what would happen in the story, including the ending, though I haven't seen confirmation there.

What is more certain, though: Manga artists generally have assistants and Miura isn't any different there. He founded Studio Gaga so his assistants (Who have helped him on Berserk, and illustrate another manga concept he came up with, Duranki) could get credited and eventually be relied on to illustrate more, including illustrating more Berserk.

So the pieces are potentially there for it to be concluded, just a matter of what Miura's wishes on the subject were and if everything comes together. Edit: I should note I still find it somewhat unlikely; continuations after author deaths are rare. Just, the framework seems to exist for it to happen.
While I really want to see what his notes are, I think it's for the best that the manga stay that way. Even if his assistants could make the art good enough to keep the manga going, the "soul" of the story wouldn't be there. The only one who truly knew Guts, Casca and Griffith was Miura, and any other person who would try to write these character wouldn't get them right.

Also, I think his assistants won't be confortable with the situation. Mangas are really personal for a lot of authors, like Togashi, who, while not able to poop because his back pains, still want to finish his work by himself.

The only way the manga could go on is if Miura himself was prepared for this and prepared his assistants to take Berserk. But it's highly unlikely because he still loved drawing Berserk, he was only 54 and his death came out of nowhere.

Reactions: Pozar55

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
I would prefer that we not have any kind of discussion about continuation of Beserk. Not because Beserk is an inappropriate topic for SoC. The entire staff, including Me, Sommy, and Arioch consider Miura-Sensei a huge influence on our work on the game.

Instead, I feel it's inappropriate to even begin to discuss what will happen with Beserk so soon after the man died. It's not an appropriate topic for the immediate future.

I would instead encourage that any discussion of Beserk in this particular thread be about things like how Beserk's unique and incredible artistic direction inspired elements purposefully or unconcioussly in SoC. That's a more appropriate discussion for the venue.

TheSexinati

Sep 1, 2017
I have to say, the thing I love most about SOC is the same thing I love about Berserk. You don't fuck around and you show the real shit! (Or... well... as real as you can get in fiction)

Y'know. Like the 'ol Rastedel sacking and burning, you sure didn't shy away from that shit! I still get shivers going through that section... and I've been through it like 5 times now.

Or Kate... It's already been ~two years since I last saw that event (Can't remember how to get it)... still remember everything about that scene like it was yesterday. None of that typical hentai bullshittery about them bitches loving that rape and suddenly going "I LOVE RAPE!" In big capital fucking letters. Nah, this is the Real shit.

And I gotta admit... going through Rastedel's slums is a guilty pleasure of mine. Practically everything there is brilliant, the descriptions... I can smell the streets, see the people walking through, the clothes their wearing... the poverty. I can practically imagine it in my head whenever I read.

Fuck. It's still hitting me even now, just how much I love berserk. I find it stunning how my life has been changed, simply reading/watching berserk... and the fact that I likely won't get the closure I wanted, nor to know how it will end, is just so... sad

It used to be that I had two things that I really looked forward to (Regarding fiction), and which I have gravitated towards. Seeds of Chaos and Berserk. But now, there's only Seeds of Chaos left.

And, I know Seeds of Chaos is at it's heart, a game where people are supposed to be doing the 'ol Sexy-sexy times. But, over time, slowly with each update, Seeds of Chaos is becoming everything that I have always wanted. It has story, it has feels, it has heart... it has trauma. To me, the sex is just the icing on the cake.

I have to say, in all honesty... this is distressing for me. If my recent onset of depression hasn't sucked enough for me lately, Miura's death was an un-expected dick-punch and curbstomp all in one go.

I wouldn't be so dis-inclined to talk on other subjects. I just find myself so... flabbergasted... that I can't think about anything else, at the moment. All I've been focusing on is this feeling of the void... forever not knowing how the story would end, that feeling that I'll never get closure on the world that has changed me, has kept me awake overnight.

I suppose I can only end this with one word.

Fuck

Could I have worded this differently? Probably. But this, this is how I feel at the moment. Can't even begin to imagine how all the Dev's are feeling about this right now. Y'all loved Berserk just like me. I know I haven't been on Discord in a long while (I don't want to deal with people at the moment), but If you are reading this... Please, keep going. Not that you won't be going full steam ahead anyway, you always have. It is just that, Seeds of Chaos is perhaps the last branch left on the tree... fantasy wise, for me. And it would be a tremendous shame if Seeds of Chaos was left unfinished as well.

Edit: Forgot to say that I am eagerly awaiting the May update.

Last edited:

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
I would prefer that we not have any kind of discussion about continuation of Beserk. Not because Beserk is an inappropriate topic for SoC. The entire staff, including Me, Sommy, and Arioch consider Miura-Sensei a huge influence on our work on the game.

Instead, I feel it's inappropriate to even begin to discuss what will happen with Beserk so soon after the man died. It's not an appropriate topic for the immediate future.

I would instead encourage that any discussion of Beserk in this particular thread be about things like how Beserk's unique and incredible artistic direction inspired elements purposefully or unconcioussly in SoC. That's a more appropriate discussion for the venue.
Yeah that was quite bad taste. Like going to a funeral and deciding to discuss who will get the dead person's belongings.

Nym85

Dec 15, 2018

Berserk probably influenced most modern dark fantasy, it's that damn simple. How people design monsters in dark fantasy across most modern mediums is probably far more tied to how Miura reinterpreted Bosch and Gothics with bold designs and a central element of body horror than with far better known artistic influences like Escher (who is also amazing, don't get me
wrong).

But what I loved the most about Berserk was the story and the message. Unlike Casca who still has not had a journey through her trauma (and that journey will be lessened because she needed magic to even begin it), Guts processed his accumulated trauma, stumbled and did monstrous things along the way but has come out stronger and a much better person. I honestly kept seeing people talk about how none of the big bads had fallen as if the story ever was going to be about Guts vs the Godhand; no, the story is about a man vs fate and Guts has already won that fight so many times.

I also love the word Berserk because everyone tends to spell it wrong and it's etymology is so fun.

Ubtsha

Jun 15, 2017
Not gonna lie, I legit cried and my heart hurts like there's an anvil on that bitch. Way to kick me in the dick, 2021...

Guess we won't know how Guts and Casca would go, or well, learn more about Moon-kiddo. And so many other things!

I have the feeling SOC probably wouldn't be here if Berserk weren't around, and I have the feeling I probably wouldn't be around here if Berserk weren't around either. Berserk brought me into the Anime world. It also gave me a big-kick out into the History realm.
There are probably one or two chapters already done. The publisher will probably give Kentaro's assistants (that were employed and trained by him, not part-timers) some chapters to wrap it up.Don't expect a complete closure though.

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
No version of Rowan is dumb enough to think that burning down the entirety of Rastedel, a potential major industrial and population center, has any kind of positive tactical value.

Reactions: monk_56

errte13

Oct 6, 2020
No version of Rowan is dumb enough to think that burning down the entirety of Rastedel, a potential major industrial and population center, has any kind of positive tactical value.
If my memory does not fail, he was dumb enough to go alone and without plan (for someone praised for being resourceful) into the twin's lair. What was he expecting, kicking demonic asses after he got one shot by Andras?

Nym85

Dec 15, 2018
If my memory does not fail, he was dumb enough to go alone and without plan (for someone praised for being resourceful) into the twin's lair. What was he expecting, kicking demonic asses after he got one shot by Andras?
I guess he was desperate to save his wife? And generally disillusioned with the idea that the capital would help any of the villages.

Reactions: Mount Parnassus

errte13

Oct 6, 2020
I guess he was desperate to save his wife? And generally disillusioned with the idea that the capital would help any of the villages.
I dunno, he made a name for himself during the last war, he has at least some influence, he could write letters or something to at least warn other people of possible return of demons.

He had some hardship during the last war, and probably made hard decisions in order to get the job done (protecting a fort IRC). With that kind of man, I have a hard time connecting that war hero to the Rowan in prologue, who act like he didn't experience the previous war. He should thought a plan, seek help, anything, instead of going in like some shounen protagonist. He should already know life isn't some fairy tale where the good guys defeat the bad guys. Again, the war made him aware of his limits, of what he can do, he should know going there alone was just suicidal.

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
We want to actually touch up the intro and make this clearer.

But, the answer above is basically correct. Rowan is too marginalized politically during peace time to actually get much help. Had he come to Rastedel for help, Werden would have burried the request.

4.00 star(s) 162 Votes