Jynx_lucky_j

May 1, 2021
You mean the game will be finished this year? In so many years, the game version is still 0.4. Of course I know many games that went from version 03-07 to 1.0, but it never looks like a complete game. For me it's just a copy of Summertime Saga with an endless development cycle and cash farming. :mad:
Software versions don't use decimals in the traditional sense. A game that is at version 0.4.xx isn't 40% complete. Instead they are counting types of changes and updates. Lets imaging a game sitting at 0.3.12 as an example. The first number (0) is the completed build. It will become 1 when the game is finished, some software may go through multiple complete builds and this number can go higher than 1. The second number (3) is the number of major updates the software has received since the last complete build. This is how many times the code has had a major change in how it functions. The third number (12) are how many minor updates the software has received since the last major update. This is stuff that doesn't change how the code functions. For this game it consists mostly of additional scenes and artwork.

Lets pretend our number has received a ton of minor updates and is sitting at 0.3.99. Then we give it another minor update. It doesn't become 0.4.0, because we still haven't put out a major update. Instead it becomes 0.3.100 because we have given it 100 minor updates since the last time we gave it a major update. The number counter only resets when a decimal above it goes up.

So this game has had 4 major updates to the mechanics of the game. But it has received a great many minor updates.

There might be 1 more major update before completion bringing it up to 0.5.xx before it jumps to 1.0.0.

Reactions: preewds

Simbad-sea

May 11, 2020
Software versions don't use decimals in the traditional sense. A game that is at version 0.4.xx isn't 40% complete. Instead they are counting types of changes and updates. Lets imaging a game sitting at 0.3.12 as an example. The first number (0) is the completed build. It will become 1 when the game is finished, some software may go through multiple complete builds and this number can go higher than 1. The second number (3) is the number of major updates the software has received since the last complete build. This is how many times the code has had a major change in how it functions. The third number (12) are how many minor updates the software has received since the last major update. This is stuff that doesn't change how the code functions. For this game it consists mostly of additional scenes and artwork.

Lets pretend our number has received a ton of minor updates and is sitting at 0.3.99. Then we give it another minor update. It doesn't become 0.4.0, because we still haven't put out a major update. Instead it becomes 0.3.100 because we have given it 100 minor updates since the last time we gave it a major update. The number counter only resets when a decimal above it goes up.

So this game has had 4 major updates to the mechanics of the game. But it has received a great many minor updates.

There might be 1 more major update before completion bringing it up to 0.5.xx before it jumps to 1.0.0.
I know dozens and hundreds of games where the version was in order. I know games in which from version 0.2 became 1.0 and it was always noticeable. So no, I strongly disagree.

Blurpee69

Jan 7, 2023
I know dozens and hundreds of games where the version was in order. I know games in which from version 0.2 became 1.0 and it was always noticeable. So no, I strongly disagree.
You're free to disagree, but in terms of how actual software is developed Jynx is 100% right. Most game developers on this site aren't also software developers, so they might not use the decimals in the same way actual developers might, but that doesn't change the fact that what Jynx describes isn't true.

Nym85

Dec 15, 2018
So this was like chapter 1 or something.
Focusing on this current realm?
Next 2 and 3 chapters are probably other realms and defeating demons?

If thats the case i think its fair i guess.
But i still doubt it very much.
Like it took them 7 years apparently to finish 1 realm. What about other ones lol...

Yeah this is getting rushed af.
And dont tell me their next game is Jessika curse or something, it looks horrible compared to this.
There are six realms I think. You first conquer the hero's home realm. I assume you will be facing Prothea on the final act. I'd expect the next act to have you take down three of the realms with options to at least subvert one nonviolently.

Filipis

Nov 15, 2022
You're free to disagree, but in terms of how actual software is developed Jynx is 100% right. Most game developers on this site aren't also software developers, so they might not use the decimals in the same way actual developers might, but that doesn't change the fact that what Jynx describes isn't true.
Jynx is technically correct, but if your game warrants 100 minor updates, then your game shouldn't have incremented the 2nd decimal point in the first place.

Going from 0.3.1 to 0.3.100 is just evidence of horrible mismanagement. Which is why you almost always want to fold some of those minor updates into the next major update.

So, technically correct, but realistically? Don't ever do that.

And 1.0 is absolutely the mark of a "finished" game. You can't in good health release a game on any given platform and call it 2.0 before the public has had the chance to play the 1.0 version, since the 2.0 marking indicates a sequel or a massive rework of core gameplay mechanics.

Jynx_lucky_j

May 1, 2021
You can disagree all you want, but it doesn't change how the numbers function. That just mean that the game was already in a near final state after two major updates. Its fine if you think the game is bad, but that is still the correct way the numbers function.

I guess that I would ask you what more you think this game needs that would justify 5 more major updates just to get it up to 0.9.x just so you can feel right about it going to 1.0.0.

Edit: it also worth mentioning nc ase it wasn't clear that the the counter works the same way for major updates. If you have 9 major updates for an incomplete game you would be at 0.9.x. If you then have a 10th major update but the game is still not complete you would go to 0.10.x.

Jynx is technically correct, but if your game warrants 100 minor updates, then your game shouldn't have incremented the 2nd decimal point in the first place.

Going from 0.3.1 to 0.3.100 is just evidence of horrible mismanagement. Which is why you almost always want to fold some of those minor updates into the next major update.

So, technically correct, but realistically? Don't ever do that.

And 1.0 is absolutely the mark of a "finished" game. You can't in good health release a game on any given platform and call it 2.0 before the public has had the chance to play the 1.0 version, since the 2.0 marking indicates a sequel or a massive rework of core gameplay mechanics.
It depend on what those minor updates consist of. I've seen x.x.100+ in several times for software that was pretty much complete and it was just adding content and patching at that point. It is especially common in game were the game is complete but the content is ever ongoing. Then you can get numbers like 1.32.281. Though it certainly isn't something that is common among indy developers.

As I said in this game's minor updates are primarily content releases. Even if they updated the main story it wouldn't be a major update since it wouldn't effect the mechanics of the game at all. So once the mechanics are finished and set in stone, there will only be minor updates from that point on no matter how many there are.

But regardless I haven't seen this game get get more than a few dozen minor updates before a major one. the x.x.100 what specifically to show a theoretical example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiliam 1234567

Filipis

Nov 15, 2022
It depend on what those minor updates consist of. I've seen x.x.100+ in several times for software that was pretty much complete and it was just adding content and patching at that point. It is especially common in game were the game is complete but the content is ever ongoing. Then you can get numbers like 1.32.281. Though it certainly isn't something that is common among indy developers.

As I said in this game's minor updates are primarily content releases. Even if they updated the main story it wouldn't be a major update since it wouldn't effect the mechanics of the game at all. So once the mechanics are finished and set in stone, there will only be minor updates from that point on no matter how many there are.

But regardless I haven't seen this game get get more than a few dozen minor updates before a major one. the x.x.100 what specifically to show a theoretical example.
For any videogame, content updates are not minor updates, especially so for VNs.

For x.y.z, the:
Z number is minor updates, commonly reserved for bugfixes;
Y is reserved for UX improvements and minor content updates;
X is for major UX changes and content additions.

I've never met a game that didn't follow these unwritten rules, until I visited F95 and got familiar with VNs...

Reactions: Simbad-sea

Simbad-sea

May 11, 2020
Yeah. I talked to the two guys who write the code. It happens for their work.
But I look at it from the game side. There's always something that gets cut, something that gets deleted, something that gets changed. But with games, because of that difference in numbers, it always leads to either finishing the game earlier, or missing a piece of the game / lame optimization / removing the elaboration of certain locations or characters.
If it turns out that a good portion of the game will be added upon release, I'm all for it. From what I understand from the comments, some characters are half-assed, while others are well-expanded. I haven't seen all of them, but I see an extremely small amount of artwork. Realistically few for a game like this. :HideThePain:

Simbad-sea

May 11, 2020
You can disagree all you want, but it doesn't change how the numbers function. That just mean that the game was already in a near final state after two major updates. Its fine if you think the game is bad, but that is still the correct way the numbers function.

I guess that I would ask you what more you think this game needs that would justify 5 more major updates just to get it up to 0.9.x just so you can feel right about it going to 1.0.0.

Edit: it also worth mentioning nc ase it wasn't clear that the the counter works the same way for major updates. If you have 9 major updates for an incomplete game you would be at 0.9.x. If you then have a 10th major update but the game is still not complete you would go to 0.10.x.

From what I understand from the comments, some characters are half-assed, while others are well-expanded. I haven't seen all of them, but I see an extremely small amount of artwork. Realistically few for a game like this.
So I'm going to trust the part that says some characters need to be expanded. But in my case, there's an extremely small number of drawings. For me, it's more a story than a game because there aren't a lot of drawings in the game.

Blurpee69

Jan 7, 2023
From what I understand from the comments, some characters are half-assed, while others are well-expanded. I haven't seen all of them, but I see an extremely small amount of artwork. Realistically few for a game like this.
So I'm going to trust the part that says some characters need to be expanded. But in my case, there's an extremely small number of drawings. For me, it's more a story than a game because there aren't a lot of drawings in the game.
From my understanding of the development process, the main story line was rushed to completion, and now they've turned around and are back filling a lot of the sidequests and character moments. It sounds like they're wrapping that up though and will hopefully be starting the next chapter soon-ish. I haven't downloaded the last two updates, but I think the only major side quest left is getting the goblin army to join the Twins army so that the whole city can be conquered instead of half. Though I'm sure someone that more closely follows this game than I can jump in and correct me where I'm wrong.

Simbad-sea

May 11, 2020
From my understanding of the development process, the main story line was rushed to completion, and now they've turned around and are back filling a lot of the sidequests and character moments. It sounds like they're wrapping that up though and will hopefully be starting the next chapter soon-ish. I haven't downloaded the last two updates, but I think the only major side quest left is getting the goblin army to join the Twins army so that the whole city can be conquered instead of half. Though I'm sure someone that more closely follows this game than I can jump in and correct me where I'm wrong.
Got it. I myself only remembered a few days ago that I played this game and read a few pages of comments and realized that there is no point in updating yet.
And what is the argument of the developers that the game has been stretched for 7+ years? :unsure: (Other than the money argument ala SummSaga.)

Jynx_lucky_j

May 1, 2021
Got it. I myself only remembered a few days ago that I played this game and read a few pages of comments and realized that there is no point in updating yet.
And what is the argument of the developers that the game has been stretched for 7+ years? :unsure: (Other than the money argument ala SummSaga.)
I would propose probably mostly has to do with the sheer amount of text.

Last I saw an official count, the game was a about 1.2 million word about 2.5 years ago.
And supposedly each update adds about 50-60 thousand words on average
So, even with some of that being reworked content, it has got to be pushing close to 2 million at this point.
An average novel is around 70-100 thousand words.
If a 20 book series was released across 8 years would you say that was a slow pace?

The thing is that a lot of people don't realize how much text is really here because they only see a fraction of it in a given play through. There is a lot of content that people never see because they choose to go down a different path, or the RGN doesn't prop it for them, or they don't like the character that content is based around, or it involves a kink they aren't into, or it doesn't match with their sexual preference.

I would guess that the average player probably actually sees maybe a 1/4 of the content of the game, maybe even less. Just look at the responses when a new update is released. The update will list like a dozen newly added scenes but there are always tons of people saying something along the lines of "No CharacterA/CharacterB content, not interested."

Simbad-sea

May 11, 2020
I would propose probably mostly has to do with the sheer amount of text.

Last I saw an official count, the game was a about 1.2 million word about 2.5 years ago.
And supposedly each update adds about 50-60 thousand words on average
So, even with some of that being reworked content, it has got to be pushing close to 2 million at this point.
An average novel is around 70-100 thousand words.
If a 20 book series was released across 8 years would you say that was a slow pace?

The thing is that a lot of people don't realize how much text is really here because they only see a fraction of it in a given play through. There is a lot of content that people never see because they choose to go down a different path, or the RGN doesn't prop it for them, or they don't like the character that content is based around, or it involves a kink they aren't into, or it doesn't match with their sexual preference.

I would guess that the average player probably actually sees maybe a 1/4 of the content of the game, maybe even less. Just look at the responses when a new update is released. The update will list like a dozen newly added scenes but there are always tons of people saying something along the lines of "No CharacterA/CharacterB content, not interested."

Decent. But.
The original Baldur's Gate 1 contains about 1 million words. This includes dialog, location descriptions, items, etc. The team faced a number of challenges, including the need to develop a new game engine, the Infinity Engine, which would allow for games with 3D graphics.
Development of Baldur's Gate began in 1995 and took approximately three years.

Development of Planescape: Torment began in 1997 and took about two years. The game was officially released on June 12th, 1999. The game contains about 1.5 million words, making it one of the most talked about RPGs of all time. The game's dialogue is complex and multi-layered, often presenting the player with difficult moral dilemmas.

Development of Disco Elysium began in 2015 and took about four years. The game was officially released on October 15th, 2019. The game contains about 2 million words.

Ultima VII: The Black Gate (1992): 1 million words
Ultima VII: Part Two: Serpent Isle (1993): 1 million words
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1992): 1 million words
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds (1993): 1 million words 1 million words
=============================================
Here we have a visual novel. Visual Novel. What a lot of problems there were back then in the early days of making games. The use of 3d. Economy. Mathematics.

And now that there are both engines and instructions, there are still questions for me about how long it took.

• Red Heart
Reactions: loporopo10

Blurpee69

Jan 7, 2023
Decent. But.
The original Baldur's Gate 1 contains about 1 million words. This includes dialog, location descriptions, items, etc. The team faced a number of challenges, including the need to develop a new game engine, the Infinity Engine, which would allow for games with 3D graphics.
Development of Baldur's Gate began in 1995 and took approximately three years.

Development of Planescape: Torment began in 1997 and took about two years. The game was officially released on June 12th, 1999. The game contains about 1.5 million words, making it one of the most talked about RPGs of all time. The game's dialogue is complex and multi-layered, often presenting the player with difficult moral dilemmas.

Development of Disco Elysium began in 2015 and took about four years. The game was officially released on October 15th, 2019. The game contains about 2 million words.

Ultima VII: The Black Gate (1992): 1 million words
Ultima VII: Part Two: Serpent Isle (1993): 1 million words
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1992): 1 million words
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds (1993): 1 million words 1 million words
=============================================
Here we have a visual novel. Visual Novel. What a lot of problems there were back then in the early days of making games. The use of 3d. Economy. Mathematics.

And now that there are both engines and instructions, there are still questions for me about how long it took.
I don't disagree with you entirely here, but just to play devil's advocate. The difference in those games compared to this game is that they had full development teams working on those games as full time jobs. As far as I know, and again someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me. Seeds of Chaos is like 7-10 people working on the game in their spare time, two of whom are strictly artists.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Hello,

This error appears for me at week ten at Cla-Min's store when trying to access the "Ploys" tab.
Any idea how to fix or prevent this error from happening?

Thanks and regards,

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 670, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 1, in execute
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 236, in execute
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 237, in execute
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 243, in execute
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 245, in execute
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 262, in execute
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 262, in <module>
NameError: name 'week_no' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/main_loop.rpyc", line 73, in script call
  File "game/locations/rowans_chambers.rpyc", line 103, in script call
  File "game/locations/caravan.rpyc", line 43, in script
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\ast.py", line 2259, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\ast.py", line 2241, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\statements.py", line 342, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 670, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\exports.py", line 3347, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\ui.py", line 299, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\display\core.py", line 3587, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, pause_modal=pause_modal, **kwargs) # type: ignore
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\display\core.py", line 4060, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda d : d.per_interact())
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\display\core.py", line 684, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback, seen)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\display\core.py", line 684, in visit_all
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\display\screen.py", line 476, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\display\core.py", line 4060, in <lambda>
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda d : d.per_interact())
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\display\screen.py", line 487, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Seeds of Chaos\renpy\display\screen.py", line 680, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 236, in execute
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 237, in execute
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 243, in execute
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 245, in execute
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 262, in execute
  File "game/screens/shop_screen.rpy", line 262, in <module>
NameError: name 'week_no' is not defined

Windows-10-10.0.22621 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.1.2.23090503
Seeds of Chaos 0.4.02
Sun Jan  7 19:16:37 2024
I had the same thing and found that I could work around it by picking the 'Tools' tab before the 'Ploys' tab for some reason.

Simbad-sea

May 11, 2020
I don't disagree with you entirely here, but just to play devil's advocate. The difference in those games compared to this game is that they had full development teams working on those games as full time jobs. As far as I know, and again someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me. Seeds of Chaos is like 7-10 people working on the game in their spare time, two of whom are strictly artists.

Baldur's Gate - During this time, BioWare's team of just 25 people worked to create a game based on the rules of the tabletop RPG Dungeons & Dragons. The team faced a number of challenges, including the need to develop a new game engine, the Infinity Engine, which would allow for the creation of games with three-dimensional graphics.

Planescape: Torment - According to various sources, approximately 35-40 people worked on the game. This includes programmers, designers, artists, cleaners, composers, and writers.

Disco Elysium - According to various sources, about 20 people worked on Disco Elysium. This includes programmers, designers, artists, cleaners, composers, and writers.
Robert Kurwitz - lead writer and designer
Alexander Schulz - Technical Director
Mihkel Pärt - Composer

Ultima VII: The Black Gate - the exact number is unknown.
Ultima VII: Part Two: Serpent Isle - exact number unknown.
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss employed about 20 people. This includes programmers, designers, artists, cleaners, composers, and writers.
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds employed about 20 people. This includes programmers, designers, artists, cleaners, composers, and writers.

And we're talking about composers, animators, concept-artists, and programmers. I think we agree here that in terms of complexity of development, code, animation and 3D programming, SoC is easier?

• Red Heart
Reactions: loporopo10

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
There's an error in the cla_act1_finale event in v. 4.01, dunno if it's been fixed:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Edit: Just downloaded 4.02 and (once I found a save that would load) it has indeed been fixedalthough the claminChildren variable only gets set (to False) if Rowan says no; saying yes leaves it undefined. And conversely, saying no leaves the claminGobboBride variable undefined rather than setting it to False.

Last edited:

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Even if Rowan (and Alexia) has rejected X'zaratl at every turn, she still refers to having made him happy "the last time" during the xzaratl_guilt_solution event.

Helayna's second dream (hel_nightmare_2) depends on itself to trigger.

A minor issue, but the torlTea variable for accepting Torlene's tea during the save_liurial is set the wrong way round:

I see that there's an event on file for cucking Helayna with Liurial (helCuckqueanLiur) but there's no option to do so in the menu in helayna_a_cuckquean

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 162 Votes