• Lara

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Clarissa

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Great game and a good community around here is the way to go! Wonderful!
There is a bit of a contradiction here about MC: After himself and Seb having such a rich experience with girls and a lot of intimate encounters that would seal the deal of them being safely out of the friend zone, as it is pointed out below, The whole introduction to this game would make no sense:
1-MC should not be a simp who does not know if the girl is friendzoning him or not before propposing marriage. It is a sure failure to ask a girl who is not interested and neither is showing intimacy towards you, to ask her into marriage just like that.
2-MC having a romantic getaway with his girlfriend who is used to intimacy and welcomes it makes total sense, especially if in the past Seb has been shown time and time and againg to be a real hindrance to MC with his stupid jokes and aggressive sexual banter. That is why all the girls know Seb as a whack perv and generally stay away from him even today.
3-Your girlsfriend knows about the whack Seb is known for and supports MC distancing himself when having his own girlfriend.
4-As a rule of thumb: bro time is to be held separate from GF/wife time - it is a running gag in TV and cinema that guys hanging out might turn into them seeking hook ups and being obnoxious to women, which is a huge red flag for a married man or one with a GF.
Regarding Julia, I think it would make more sense if MC and Julia were in fact friends, but with unexplored feelings for each other, with the trip being a way of MC getting closure on past events and considering entering a relationship with her, instead of proposing marriage. That way, Julia’s participation in the story would be more linear while still giving the player the option to pursue her or not. Besides, MC inviting Julia as a friend and leaving Sebastian behind would be kinda weird lol.
that's more-or-less the way I want to reshape things without going too crazy

Reactions: Captain Crystallo

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
1-MC should not be a simp who does not know if the girl is friendzoning him or not before propposing marriage. It is a sure failure to ask a girl who is not interested and neither is showing intimacy towards you, to ask her into marriage just like that.
I think it's more if the MC thinks she is the right girl for him not if she will say yes or not. As it seems to me the MC is indecisive if he wants to even ask her and is using the trip to come to a decision on his feelings. As im sure the MC knows if she will say yes or no.

Captain Crystallo

Game Developer
Feb 1, 2023
I think it's more if the MC thinks she is the right girl for him not if she will say yes or not. As it seems to me the MC is indecisive if he wants to even ask her and is using the trip to come to a decision on his feelings. As im sure the MC knows if she will say yes or no.
You're correct. In the current version of the story - he knows Julia will say yes. The MC just doesn't know if he should commit since he still has lingering feelings for *insert your LI of choice*. Maybe the way I've written it doesn't make it clear.

byaaahh

Feb 3, 2018
You're correct. In the current version of the story - he knows Julia will say yes. The MC just doesn't know if he should commit since he still has lingering feelings for *insert your LI of choice*. Maybe the way I've written it doesn't make it clear.
I always read it as Julia was basically just waiting to say yes, wasn't unclear at all.

MiltonPowers

Twins Basil! Twins!
Donor
Jul 26, 2023
It was clear enough for me, I understood it that way. (But in my mind not asking her is still a dick move from MC, as she is expecting it).

MiltonPowers

Twins Basil! Twins!
Donor
Jul 26, 2023
Yeah, her patiently waiting for a proposal, only for her man to take her on a trip where he proceeds to cheat. Oof
Some girls I don't give a shit about cheating on to find an Li I like. But I actually feel bad for Julia, she's pretty, she seems like a really nice person, they have a good sex life and most importantly she was there for him and helped pull him back into a more normal life, putting her own life on hold to do it.

Unfortunately, I (the player) just don't know her and haven't made a connection with her. So I feel pretty awful about it. :(

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
but in all seriousness yeah I feel shitty about cheating on Julia and im a non immersive player. You have to be a monster to feel something about it

AnonW123

Dec 26, 2019
This post was initially only meant for my Patreon, but I might as well share it here too.
View attachment 4088842
Welcome to my open development discussion!

As we’re approaching the end of Part 1, it’s time for me to decide how I’m going to tackle a lot of the issues that have been bugging me for the last couple of months. If I want to make any notable changes to the first half of the game, it has to be now since I don’t want to return to Part 1 once it’s out (outside of the necessary bug fixes, obviously).

Throughout Seeking Closure’s existence, the main three critiques I received were:

1. I hate that Julia is the default girlfriend in the present timeline.
  2. Being in the present feels confusing since I, as the player, have no idea what happened in the past so I don’t know which decisions to make.
  3. I want to spend more time in the present to get the story going and have a reason to care about the characters introduced there.
The second and third points contradict each other, so with that alone – I can’t please everyone, but there are still changes I can introduce to ensure the game is more enjoyable for players who will discover it in the future here or on Steam.

It’s fair to assume that if you’re reading this, you’re already invested enough to stick with the game even if I keep everything as it is, but I need to consider future players as well.

When I devised my visual novel initially, making Julia the mandatory girlfriend felt like the only “right” choice for the story I wanted to tell. However, after 18 months of development, I regret this decision, particularly since I want to place as big of an emphasis on “player choice” as I can.

In my original storyboard, I wanted to add one chapter in the Present for every two spent in the Past until it catches up to the “current day”. This would allow me to give all the necessary backstory while also developing the characters introduced in the Present. Since I didn’t have any experience creating a story like this, the concept looked fine on paper.

However, I quickly realized that I’d written myself into a corner since it’s not possible to spend a lot of time in the Present timeline without other characters (or the MC) referencing past events. Nevertheless, I couldn’t freely reference the Past since you as the player haven’t experienced it yet and didn’t make the choices that will shape it. This wouldn’t have been an issue in a kinetic novel, but that’s not what I’m doing here.

Chapter 4 was already a bit messy. Even though it didn’t force you to commit to anything, you can have Fleur/Susan/Micaela show renewed interest in you (based on your choices in previous chapters), but since it’s possible to be completely done with them by the end of Part 1, their behavior can make 0 sense in retrospect depending on your decisions.

As such, I decided to stick to the Past timeline until it’s finished to avoid making that issue even bigger. This resulted in all the girls that are only included in the Present feeling forgotten and it will be an uphill battle to make the players care about them later, which is an issue since they have an important role to play in the story.

Another point of critique is the hairstyles of the girls from the past being very different in the present. Similar to most people, I prefer their past looks too, but at the same time, it would be weird if most of them kept the same hair for 5 years. On the other hand, is realism important in this case if the new hairstyle makes people like them less? I honestly don’t know and I might resolve this problem in a poll on a girl-by-girl basis.

With all of that being said, I’m currently considering several options while I gradually speed up development for Chapter 8.
  1. Keep everything as is. The laziest option, but one that a lot of existing fans and supporters will likely prefer since they’ve already played through all the problematic parts. However, I obviously would like to receive more supporters over time, so it’s not the optimal solution for me.
  2. Only make minor tweaks throughout Part 1, changing and expanding some of the dialogue to be less confusing and/or committal, while also adding more options to abandon paths that you’re no longer interested in.
  3. In addition to the above, rework the Julia-related content in Part 1 to make her an optional girlfriend and have a separate choice at the start of Part 2 (or in the end of Part 1) for players who will continue their old saves.
  4. Remove all the “Present day” scenes outside of arriving at the hotel and having the “flashback”, while keeping (and adding more) scenes of meeting Julia to build up her character without making her MC’s girlfriend by default. As such, at the start of Part 2, it’ll be up to you if Julia comes with you as your friend or love interest. Another benefit of this approach is that when you start talking to the present-day versions of all the girls, you’ll have full information on how your relationship developed and if you’re still interested in them. The downside is – it makes the story more linear, removing most of the “What happened? How did it come to this?” intrigue from the present timeline. However, since it isn’t delivered in a compelling manner already, maybe it’s not that big of a loss. If you’re a returning player, another drawback is that you’ll have to replay most of the scenes from Chapters 1 and 4 in Part 2, which will feel wonky and immersion-breaking if you continue your old save(s).
  5. Reframe the entire story and finish everything in the past, pretending the present timeline never existed, as the MC gets to ride into the sunset at the end of his vacation. This option completely abandons the premise of the story I wanted to tell, but I’m thinking about it for two reasons. Firstly, since there are no signs of the war ending anytime soon, I have no idea how long I’ll manage to avoid getting enlisted into the military against my will. As such, I can disappear any day without warning and you won’t get any closure for the game at all. Secondly, the current projections are that I’ll have electrical power for only about 6-8 hours out of 24 a day, starting from November, and if that happens, this will bring the development process to a near complete halt. I don’t want to choose this option, but if the consensus is “better an unplanned ending than no ending at all”, then maybe it’s the “right” thing to do.
My mind has been split between all these different options for months now and I still can’t commit to a single direction since all of them have significant drawbacks.

As such, if you have any thoughts on the matter, or if you would like to suggest a completely different option, I’m open to hearing you out (even if it’s related to something relatively small like the hairstyle dilemma). That doesn’t mean I’m going to do what someone else tells me to, but it might help me make a decision, while I continue to work on Chapter 8 since most of it is set in stone regardless of anything discussed above.

A part of me didn’t want to write this post since I don’t want to disappoint and upset people who will provide solid arguments that I won’t listen to (since it’s impossible to satisfy everyone), but I still decided to publish it in hopes of gaining some unique insight that I’m lacking at the moment.
View attachment 4088843
I think you've probably made up your mind by now but I'll add my two cents.

With respect to Points 4 and 5 :

It doesn't make sense to abandon your entire premise to address criticisms. There will always be criticisms and you can't satisfy everyone and that includes you yourself as the dev. There will be things that you wish you hadn't done or just can't seem to get right no matter what you do.

The game attracted me based on the premise of exploring a story back and forth across two different timelines. That makes it seem more unique than a lot of other avns for me. I prefer the original approach of spend some time in the present then go to the past and vice versa as opposed to the current approach of trying to wrap up everything in the past.

My suggestion is focus in the present on the new mystery which you hinted at (why everyone is brought back) and on the Mc interacting with the new characters. You can minimize the interaction with the past characters until a choice is made in the past that would inform a scene in the present.

With respect to Points 2 and 3 :
I agree with this. I like Julia as a potential Li but being forced into the relationship with her from the start isn't great. It forces the Mc to cheat if he likes any of the other Lis. Since this isn't a harem game (or full harem) choices have to be made.

I want to say that you have my prayers,wishes,hopes with respect to the war situation. I hope you stay safe and free. The fact that you are able to keep going under such conditions speaks to your inner strength.

Good luck with the game.

Captain Crystallo

Game Developer
Feb 1, 2023
I think you've probably made up your mind by now but I'll add my two cents.

With respect to Points 4 and 5 :

It doesn't make sense to abandon your entire premise to address criticisms. There will always be criticisms and you can't satisfy everyone and that includes you yourself as the dev. There will be things that you wish you hadn't done or just can't seem to get right no matter what you do.

The game attracted me based on the premise of exploring a story back and forth across two different timelines. That makes it seem more unique than a lot of other avns for me. I prefer the original approach of spend some time in the present then go to the past and vice versa as opposed to the current approach of trying to wrap up everything in the past.

My suggestion is focus in the present on the new mystery which you hinted at (why everyone is brought back) and on the Mc interacting with the new characters. You can minimize the interaction with the past characters until a choice is made in the past that would inform a scene in the present.

With respect to Points 2 and 3 :
I agree with this. I like Julia as a potential Li but being forced into the relationship with her from the start isn't great. It forces the Mc to cheat if he likes any of the other Lis. Since this isn't a harem game (or full harem) choices have to be made.

I want to say that you have my prayers,wishes,hopes with respect to the war situation. I hope you stay safe and free. The fact that you are able to keep going under such conditions speaks to your inner strength.

Good luck with the game.
Greatly appreciate both the detailed feedback and the kind words.

I have a clearer idea of what I'm planning to do, but it never hurts to get another perspective especially since I haven't implemented any changes yet, as I'm focusing on making Chapter 8 for now.

Newhell

Feb 8, 2021
Russian translation (PC + Android) -

Перевод на русский язык (ПК + Андроид) -

screenshot0010.png

Zorro#34

Apr 23, 2022
Right now Julia is the best implementation of a "Current GF" I ever saw, with most other options being in the past, allowing the player to "explore options" without cheating. However, with how much screentime she has, her being the current GF is her only advantage, and the choice between her and the favourite Past girl is really tough, which is what makes it interesting.

If she's just a friend, there is really 0 reason for the player to choose her. To remain competitive in that case, she needs much more screentime than she has now, creating unnecessary work. Also, the premise of "the past and the present" loses a lot if all of the real options are in the past.

Last edited:

byaaahh

Feb 3, 2018
If she's just a friend, there is really 0 reason for the player to choose her.
I don't entirely agree. If she's strictly locked as a friend, then sure.

However, if the kiss on the coffee date determine if she is your girlfriend, then you can uncover the past while remaining relatively close to the story as it is now. If you choose the hug, you have a friend to support MC and avoid forced infidelity if you don't want to pursue her path.

• Thinking Face

flaviopaganini

Feb 25, 2024
Right now Julia is the best implementation of a "Current GF" I ever saw, with most other options being in the past, allowing the player to "explore options" without cheating. However, with how much screentime she has, her being the current GF is her only advantage, and the choice between her and the favourite Past girl is really tough, which is what makes it interesting.

If she's just a friend, there is really 0 reason for the player to choose her. To remain competitive in that case, she needs much more screentime that she has now, creating unnecessary work. Also, the premise of "the past and the present" loses a lot if all of the real options are in the past.
If the developer creates in the next episodes a solid flashback showing how she helped us recover mentally, it will add a lot. It would be great because it would make us develop a bond with an LI from the past while also forming a connection with the person who helped us survive mentally, emulating exactly the feeling the MC would have had at that time.

Zorro#34

Apr 23, 2022
However, if the kiss on the coffee date determine if she is your girlfriend
Yeah, that'd appease everyone, but does Cap have the time to create so much variability?

If the developer creates in the next episodes a solid flashback showing how she helped us recover mentally, it will add a lot. It would be great because it would make us develop a bond with an LI from the past while also forming a connection with the person who helped us survive mentally, emulating exactly the feeling the MC would have had at that time.
That'd add to friendship, not to romance. She helped him, nice, but without GF status or any prior romance, be it pre-determined or optional, that ain't beating the special connection he has to Elena, Katy, or even Fleur. Also, having second thoughts before proposing is reasonable and isn't (very) derogatory towards Julia; but remembering someone else before entering any sort of relationship with her? It means the MC doesn't love the new girl at all...

Also, I fully agree with this:

Besides, MC inviting Julia as a friend and leaving Sebastian behind would be kinda weird lol.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face

Captain Crystallo

Game Developer
Feb 1, 2023
Yeah, that'd appease everyone, but does Cap have the time to create so much variability?

That'd add to friendship, not to romance. She helped him, nice, but without GF status or any prior romance, be it pre-determined or optional, that ain't beating the special connection he has to Elena, Katy, or even Fleur. Also, having second thoughts before proposing is reasonable and isn't (very) derogatory towards Julia; but remembering someone else before entering any sort of relationship with her? It means the MC doesn't love the new girl at all...

Also, I fully agree with this:
You're mostly on point in both of your posts. If Julia becomes a friend, she'll stand an even lesser chance against the girls from the past and her inclusion in the plot will feel more contrived.

And trying to appease both camps is a LOT of work and I'm not sure I'd even do both paths justice anyway.

Hence why I'm dedicating most of my effort to Chapter 8 for now, while exploring different rework options through drafts and notes.

Thanks for reminding me why I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place ;)

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017

If she's just a friend, there is really 0 reason for the player to choose her. To remain competitive in that case, she needs much more screentime than she has now, creating unnecessary work. Also, the premise of "the past and the present" loses a lot if all of the real options are in the past.
I disagree personally for me it doesn't matter if she is a girlfriend or friend I still feel like I have 0 reason to pick her. For me she needs more screentime either way for me to not want to cheat on her. For me she would work better as a friend because I have 0 reason to pick her right now so im going to be a piece of shit and cheat on her still.

With that said I do see where you are coming from cause there will be players they won't cheat on her even if she needs more screentime. So her being a girlfriend is an advantage towards those players.

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
I know most people dislike when the MC starts a game with a girlfriend they didn't pick.
I actually almost dropped a game once cause the forced girlfriend broke up with the MC in the prologue. Since they felt like a perfect couple then the break up was super sad and bummed me out lol. I had to ctrl skip through the game to make sure she returns to decide if I was gonna drop the game or not.

4.30 star(s) 30 Votes