Seeking other people's opinions on game content.

Seikou

Jul 20, 2018
I did some searches but could not really find something that relates to all my wonderings.

I am very curious to know what people prefer to see in games.

I would appreciate if you might share your thoughts to these questions.

1. Do you like creating a custom main character, or, do you like having one that was created by the developer for you to assume as yours, assuming a customizable name?

2. Do you like text based games with some images, or image based games with some text?

3. Would you rather play a 2D VN with dialog choices, or a 3D RPG with being able to walk around a world to trigger story events and story advancement?

4. Do you want to get right into the sexual action, or have a slow buildup? Romantic relationship building from story, or quick fucks? Maybe a mixture?

5. Do you prefer grinding and building stats with characters, or making choices to advance the story?

6. How important is non-sexual story and content in your sexual games? As in, what does your character do when not having sex.

7. Lots of choices and branching dialog, or more directed story with few choices?

8. Do you like to have control of what happens in sex scenes, and to what level of control?

9. What is more important to you, specific kinks and themes, or a good story with vanilla sex?

10. Would you play a game with a theme or kink you do not like, if you were attracted to the art, story, or gameplay?

11. Do you like a minimal interface or lots of information?

12. Do you like anime or rendered style artwork?

13. Do you want some music or not?

14. How often do you like to see games updated?

15. Do you like quicker updates with less content, or slower updates with more content?

16. What type of gameplay do you like to see in these kinds of games?

17. What length of game and story do you most prefer?

18. Anything you might want to add to this, based upon these questions?

If you have read all of that, and will post some replies and thoughts, thank you.

I have been creating games on and off over the past years, but never released anything into the public. I have many different experiments and prototypes. Lots of half finished stories, and some fully storyboarded and drafted, but not polished and missing artwork.

I am thinking of starting something new, using all my learned skills and knowledge and experience, and releasing it now, but I want to know what people desire so my game might be well received.

Last edited:

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
I did some searches but could not really find something that relates to all my wonderings.

1. Do you like creating a custom main character, or, do you like having one that was created by the developer for you to assume as yours, assuming a customizable name?

2. Do you like text based games with some images, or image based games with some text?

3. Would you rather play a 2D VN with dialog choices, or a 3D RPG with being able to walk around a world to trigger story events and story advancement?

4. Do you want to get right into the sexual action, or have a slow buildup? Romantic relationship building from story, or quick fucks? Maybe a mixture?

5. Do you prefer grinding and building stats with characters, or making choices to advance the story?

6. How important is non-sexual story and content in your sexual games? As in, what does your character do when not having sex.

7. Lots of choices and branching dialog, or more directed story with few choices?

8. Do you like to have control of what happens in sex scenes, and to what level of control?

9. What is more important to you, specific kinks and themes, or a good story with vanilla sex?

10. Would you play a game with a theme or kink you do not like, if you were attracted to the art, story, or gameplay?

15. Do you like quicker updates with less content, or slower updates with more content?

17. Anything you might want to add to this, based upon these questions?

If you have read all of that, and will post some replies and thoughts, thank you.

I have been creating games on and off over the past years, but never released anything into the public. I have many different experiments and prototypes. Lots of half finished stories, and some fully storyboarded and drafted, but not polished and missing artwork.

I am thinking of starting something new, using all my learned skills and knowledge and experience, and releasing it now, but I want to know what people desire so my game might be well received.
After reading that whole post, I would like to emphasize on "number 14." I would love to see the commonality of games getting updated on here, and furthermore, good luck to you on your future projects.

Reactions: allanl9020142

Seikou

Jul 20, 2018
After reading that whole post, I would like to emphasize on "number 14." I would love to see the commonality of games getting updated on here, and furthermore, good luck to you on your future projects.
Thank you.

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
I have been around these forums for a long time, just more of a lurker.
An onlooker. How eventful, to be honest dude, I wish I had the wit and skills to make a game but sadly I lack the expertise. That is why I just play the games. Good luck to you.

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
Now let's start with this.
17. Anything you might want to add to this, based upon these questions?
Most questions can't be answered in a broad statement, because most adult games are one of three types of games (stories with sex scenes (typical VNs), actual games with sex scenes (manager sims, RPGs) and sex simulators (pure sex gameplay barely any story)), all of which will have different answers.

For example question 1
In a typical VN I want to follow the story the dev provides, so I don't want a customized main character, I often can't even be bothered to change the default name. After all I play as the main character (I don't self-insert).
But in a RPG I may want to customize my character and in case of some sex simulators even the girls.

Personally, I like all three types of games and play them as I feel like it. So I'll skip all the questions that relate to just one type of game.

Also, several questions are very dependent on the quality of the story and writing (let's be honest here, most games aren't good in that regard). If it is good, I may want more, but if it is bad, it is rather detrimental if it's to much.

Grinding without risk is pretty pointless if it's not the main game loop (aka the fun part of the game).
If I play a VN with stats and I need xy intelligence and I have to study for it, but I can study as much as I want without missing anything out, what is the point? It just stretches the game length in an artificial and annoying way.

I am not hard core stone set on my kinks. It reather comes down to whether it has something I can't stand. If the art, story, gameplay and/or writing is good, I don't mind if it doesn't include my kinks.

Both. I want information if I need it, but I don't want it to clutter the interface.
For example in a RPG most of the time I only need to know how high the Attack Stat is, not how it's calculated, but I want the option to easily see the calculation for that (for example as a hover over tool tip).

As long as it doesn't enter the uncanny valley I don't mind either.

Quality not quantity. I don't want only a single new scene every couple of days, I want a chunk that's worth playing and I don't mind waiting for it. There are some games I like and I haven't touched them for many month or even years.

No fake gameplay (see question 5.) or gameplay just to stretch the game length.
Games that pretend to be more than what they are, often fall very flat.

Good luck? (Sorry, but here are many users who announce that they make a game and they never actually deliver)

But you will be more successful and enduring if you do something you like yourself and don't cater to every little wish of others.
It's YOUR game, do what YOU want.;)

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022

Most questions can't be answered in a broad statement, because most adult games are one of three types of games (stories with sex scenes (typical VNs), actual games with sex scenes (manager sims, RPGs) and sex simulators (pure sex gameplay barely any story)), all of which will have different answers.

For example question 1

In a typical VN I want to follow the story the dev provides, so I don't want a customized main character, I often can't even be bothered to change the default name. After all I play as the main character (I don't self-insert).
But in a RPG I may want to customize my character and in case of some sex simulators even the girls.

Personally, I like all three types of games and play them as I feel like it. So I'll skip all the questions that relate to just one type of game.

Also, several questions are very dependent on the quality of the story and writing (let's be honest here, most games aren't good in that regard). If it is good, I may want more, but if it is bad, it is rather detrimental if it's to much.

Grinding without risk is pretty pointless if it's not the main game loop (aka the fun part of the game).
If I play a VN with stats and I need xy intelligence and I have to study for it, but I can study as much as I want without missing anything out, what is the point? It just stretches the game length in an artificial and annoying way.

I am not hard core stone set on my kinks. It reather comes down to whether it has something I can't stand. If the art, story, gameplay and/or writing is good, I don't mind if it doesn't include my kinks.

Both. I want information if I need it, but I don't want it to clutter the interface.
For example in a RPG most of the time I only need to know how high the Attack Stat is, not how it's calculated, but I want the option to easily see the calculation for that (for example as a hover over tool tip).

Quality not quantity. I don't want only a single new scene every couple of days, I want a chunk that's worth playing and I don't mind waiting for it. There are some games I like and I haven't touched them for many month or even years.

Good luck? (Sorry, but here are many users who announce that they make a game and they never actually deliver)

But you will be more successful and enduring if you do something you like yourself and don't cater to every little wish of others.
Thank you for contributing to this thread. :D

Reactions: Seikou

Seikou

Jul 20, 2018

For example question 1

Thank you for your reply, it was interesting to read your thoughts.

Aug 8, 2023

1. The one that was created by the developer
2. Image based games with some text
3. A 2D VN with dialog choices
4. A slow build-up, and romantic relationship building from story
5. Making choices to advance the story
6. Non-sexual story is very important, and helps ppl to get into games easily
7. Lots of choices and branching dialog
8. Yes, I'd like to have control in sex scenes, for example changing sex positions or camera angles
9. A good story with vanilla sex
10. No. If the theme is not my type, then I skip that game
11. A minimal interface
12. Rendered style artwork
13. Yes. Music is a must for sex scenes
14. In every 2 or 3 months
15. Slower updates with more content
16. Gameplay in a 2D VN???
17. 2 hours per episode is enough
18. No man can say no to a game like Freshwomen :WeSmart:

May 5, 2020

1. If and editor is well made, yeah, creating a custom character should be good. The problem is that adding different skin types to scenes is a pain in the ass.

2. Image based.

3. RPG, of course.

4. A mixture, straightforward could be boring in my opinion. I like a bit "grinding".

5. Both.

6. Very important, I experienced games with funny scenes, horror scenes and such. Try "Desert Stalker", non sex content is really good.

7. More directed story, having a branching story is hard, better creating something more linear but with more scenes.

8. At least chaning camera, position and speed.

9. Depends.

10. If it's something like domination maybe, but I'm not into futa, traps, scat... But it depends by how the game is centered towards those kinks.

11. Lots of information, if well organized.

12. Both, i tend to prefer anime like cause is more easy to developers to not create monster.

13. Of course yes.

14. Less update, but more heavy.

15. Less update, but more heavy.

16. It deepends, Zombie's Retreat was simple but overall good, there aren't a lot of games with a real gameplay.

17. Long story, I want content!

18. Age question, like, mc age, having milf, gilf, loli-like...

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It totally depend.

https://f95zone.to/threads/text-based-games-and-their-appeal.127591/
https://f95zone.to/threads/are-text-based-games-okay.94378/
https://f95zone.to/threads/text-based-cyoa-preferences.69358/
https://f95zone.to/threads/text-based-games-worth-it.49491/

I absolutely don't care. Well, as long as the second isn't a walk simulator of course.

It totally depend on the story, and I guess also on the player mood.

It totally depend on the story, the reason why there's those stats and how they are used.

If it wasn't important, I wouldn't be playing.
As for what the character to when he don't have sex, well he live... I mean, there's millions things to do beside sex.

It totally depend on the story.

It depend on the scene, how well it's handled, and, once again, also the mood of the player I guess.

A good story with interesting kinks and themes.

Only if the story is exceptionally interesting and well wrote. But generally I don't starts a game when I know that it have content I'll not like.

The right information, presented correctly with a clean enough user interface.

Whatever match the rest of the game.

I generally listen to my own music, but if it really match and add to the game I can possibly listen to the one you use.

I don't care as long as the update worth the wait and the download/installing time.

I really hate updates that take five minutes to be downloaded (click on the thread included) and installed, then give you ten minutes of content, yet only if you're a slow reader. And there's way too many of them recently

Whatever match the story and isn't here just for the show or to hide the cheapness of the story/game.

Long enough to worth it accordingly to the story, game mechanism and content density.

Yes:
Look at my answers, globally they can be summarized by "it depend on the game you're making". Because it's precisely the case. The complexity of the User Interface depend on the complexity of the game mechanism. The importance of the disliked kinks depend on the way they appear on the story (optional, mandatory, omnipresent). The grinding/stats building depend on the story. And so on.

So, either you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, or you're fishing for knowledge expecting to make a game that will attract everyone and make you earn big bucks... What in fact also mean that you have no idea what you're talking about, because you'll get as many answer as there's members who will answer, and no guaranty that those person will be interested by your game, even if you make it exactly like they want it.

Aug 11, 2023

I'm good with just a customizable name. This isn't really a deal-breaker.

I usually avoid text-based games. Not that I don't like reading, but I prefer strong visuals rather than my own imagination.

2D VN. Indie 3D open-world porn games are usually poorly executed, and walking around triggering events is just a waste of time.

While I believe both have their place & I enjoy both, I prefer digging into a story with a slow buildup. Getting to know characters on a personal level & caring about them makes the sex hotter when it happens.

I will play both, but its more likely that I'll quit if the grinding is not rewarding enough, goes by too slow or too quickly.

It's pretty important to me from a story perspective. Constant sex is cool but IMO the audience needs time to relax and breathe a little in between.

If the dev has the chops to make a game with lots of choices & branching paths, then they should, but I find a lot of devs end up with an overly ambitious project and just abandon it. I'd prefer a completed game with few choices over an abandoned game with lots of paths but ends up being too shallow.

Having control is really nice, mainly with positions & viewing angles. But from a development point of view it takes more work to add all that, so I understand when it isn't done. I treat it more like a pleasant surprise rather than an expectation.

A good story with vanilla sex, but just barely.

If it's the main kink/theme, no. For example, I like the game Fresh Women; the renders are beautiful and the story & characters are great. But, I wouldn't play it if was obvious the main kink was, say, femdom or lesbian.

Minimal interface. A cluttered UI is just plain unattractive to look at. Collapsible tabs are good, though.

Rendered. I will play a 2D hand-drawn anime game if the story is really compelling, but they are shallow more often than not.

I prefer music over silence, but it should be soft & in the background.

Once a month is a good start. I am very suspicious of games that have very frequent updates.

Slower updates with more content are always preferable. I usually delete a game & redownload it when a new update comes out, so its a huge pain to redownload a game only for the update to be 5-10 minutes long every week.

Dialogue & choices/paths is fine with me. I don't like puzzles or minigames or combat. They disrupt the flow too much.

I like completed/finished games, so whatever length gives us the best chance of getting to the end is great with me. However, a longer game with a slow buildup and world-building is more preferable, if the payoff is good & the game actually finishes.

eosar

Aug 11, 2016
Short answer, yes. The more, the better.

Long answer, there isn't one because i'm too lazy to write one.

• Thinking Face

Seikou

Jul 20, 2018
1. The one that was created by the developer
2. Image based games with some text
3. A 2D VN with dialog choices
4. A slow build-up, and romantic relationship building from story
5. Making choices to advance the story
6. Non-sexual story is very important, and helps ppl to get into games easily
7. Lots of choices and branching dialog
8. Yes, I'd like to have control in sex scenes, for example changing sex positions or camera angles
9. A good story with vanilla sex
10. No. If the theme is not my type, then I skip that game
11. A minimal interface
12. Rendered style artwork
13. Yes. Music is a must for sex scenes
14. In every 2 or 3 months
15. Slower updates with more content
16. Gameplay in a 2D VN???
17. 2 hours per episode is enough
18. No man can say no to a game like Freshwomen :WeSmart:
Thanks for the reply.

Seikou

Jul 20, 2018
1. If and editor is well made, yeah, creating a custom character should be good. The problem is that adding different skin types to scenes is a pain in the ass.

2. Image based.

3. RPG, of course.

4. A mixture, straightforward could be boring in my opinion. I like a bit "grinding".

5. Both.

6. Very important, I experienced games with funny scenes, horror scenes and such. Try "Desert Stalker", non sex content is really good.

7. More directed story, having a branching story is hard, better creating something more linear but with more scenes.

8. At least chaning camera, position and speed.

9. Depends.

10. If it's something like domination maybe, but I'm not into futa, traps, scat... But it depends by how the game is centered towards those kinks.

11. Lots of information, if well organized.

12. Both, i tend to prefer anime like cause is more easy to developers to not create monster.

13. Of course yes.

14. Less update, but more heavy.

15. Less update, but more heavy.

16. It deepends, Zombie's Retreat was simple but overall good, there aren't a lot of games with a real gameplay.

17. Long story, I want content!

18. Age question, like, mc age, having milf, gilf, loli-like...

Thanks for your reply.

Seikou

Jul 20, 2018
It totally depend.

https://f95zone.to/threads/text-based-games-and-their-appeal.127591/
https://f95zone.to/threads/are-text-based-games-okay.94378/
https://f95zone.to/threads/text-based-cyoa-preferences.69358/
https://f95zone.to/threads/text-based-games-worth-it.49491/

I absolutely don't care. Well, as long as the second isn't a walk simulator of course.

It totally depend on the story, and I guess also on the player mood.

It totally depend on the story, the reason why there's those stats and how they are used.

If it wasn't important, I wouldn't be playing.
As for what the character to when he don't have sex, well he live... I mean, there's millions things to do beside sex.

It totally depend on the story.

It depend on the scene, how well it's handled, and, once again, also the mood of the player I guess.

A good story with interesting kinks and themes.

Only if the story is exceptionally interesting and well wrote. But generally I don't starts a game when I know that it have content I'll not like.

The right information, presented correctly with a clean enough user interface.

Whatever match the rest of the game.

I generally listen to my own music, but if it really match and add to the game I can possibly listen to the one you use.

I don't care as long as the update worth the wait and the download/installing time.

I really hate updates that take five minutes to be downloaded (click on the thread included) and installed, then give you ten minutes of content, yet only if you're a slow reader. And there's way too many of them recently

Whatever match the story and isn't here just for the show or to hide the cheapness of the story/game.

Long enough to worth it accordingly to the story, game mechanism and content density.

Yes:
Look at my answers, globally they can be summarized by "it depend on the game you're making". Because it's precisely the case. The complexity of the User Interface depend on the complexity of the game mechanism. The importance of the disliked kinks depend on the way they appear on the story (optional, mandatory, omnipresent). The grinding/stats building depend on the story. And so on.

So, either you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, or you're fishing for knowledge expecting to make a game that will attract everyone and make you earn big bucks... What in fact also mean that you have no idea what you're talking about, because you'll get as many answer as there's members who will answer, and no guaranty that those person will be interested by your game, even if you make it exactly like they want it.
Thanks for the reply and your thoughts.

Seikou

Jul 20, 2018

I'm good with just a customizable name. This isn't really a deal-breaker.

I usually avoid text-based games. Not that I don't like reading, but I prefer strong visuals rather than my own imagination.

2D VN. Indie 3D open-world porn games are usually poorly executed, and walking around triggering events is just a waste of time.

While I believe both have their place & I enjoy both, I prefer digging into a story with a slow buildup. Getting to know characters on a personal level & caring about them makes the sex hotter when it happens.

I will play both, but its more likely that I'll quit if the grinding is not rewarding enough, goes by too slow or too quickly.

It's pretty important to me from a story perspective. Constant sex is cool but IMO the audience needs time to relax and breathe a little in between.

If the dev has the chops to make a game with lots of choices & branching paths, then they should, but I find a lot of devs end up with an overly ambitious project and just abandon it. I'd prefer a completed game with few choices over an abandoned game with lots of paths but ends up being too shallow.

Having control is really nice, mainly with positions & viewing angles. But from a development point of view it takes more work to add all that, so I understand when it isn't done. I treat it more like a pleasant surprise rather than an expectation.

A good story with vanilla sex, but just barely.

If it's the main kink/theme, no. For example, I like the game Fresh Women; the renders are beautiful and the story & characters are great. But, I wouldn't play it if was obvious the main kink was, say, femdom or lesbian.

Minimal interface. A cluttered UI is just plain unattractive to look at. Collapsible tabs are good, though.

Rendered. I will play a 2D hand-drawn anime game if the story is really compelling, but they are shallow more often than not.

I prefer music over silence, but it should be soft & in the background.

Once a month is a good start. I am very suspicious of games that have very frequent updates.

Slower updates with more content are always preferable. I usually delete a game & redownload it when a new update comes out, so its a huge pain to redownload a game only for the update to be 5-10 minutes long every week.

Dialogue & choices/paths is fine with me. I don't like puzzles or minigames or combat. They disrupt the flow too much.

I like completed/finished games, so whatever length gives us the best chance of getting to the end is great with me. However, a longer game with a slow buildup and world-building is more preferable, if the payoff is good & the game actually finishes.
Thank you for your reply.