VN - Ren'Py - Abandoned - Sex Kingdom [v0.3b] [StrippedGames]

1. 4.00 star(s)

JMINATL

[Update for 0.2b, one run through.]
    Biggest difference I noted was in the renders towards the end of current content.

The 'noise' in the renders and the general darkness were greatly improved making those scenes significantly nicer than 0.2a. There are still some earlier renders that are a bit noisy (BJ in the bar) but they are good enough and I would move on to new content instead of worrying about those :)

Down the road a ways, it might be worth revisiting the very first sex scene on the farm. It could use some more animations to smooth it out. Later scenes are better, but there's only one first impression.

On the improvements - there's a barracks sex scene that was improved, but the cycling frames have different lighting levels. So it has a bit of a 'strobe' effect. Watch the bricks behind the girl and you'll see what I mean.

Still a bit weak for a four, but the author is reading the reviews and working actively to address the the weak points. +1 for that. Moving to a 4.

Good potential, keep an eye on it :cool:

[Review of 0.2a, two runs through.]

Pros
    • Backgrounds
    • Characters and character models
    • Story & Story speed
    • Sexy bits

Neutral/YMMV
    • Story is still very early days. Long way to go.
    • Sandboxing: Not Sandboxed. Linear
    • Choices: Mostly seem to affect whether you have sex with the girl and/or what kind of sex.
    • Bit of intentional 4th wall breaking here and there. It's ok, but not optimal.
    Cons
    • Dialog is very broken English. This doesn't really keep you from understanding the story, however there are some places you have to fill in a bit, or read on, to get what is being said. I suspect the native language version is probably much smoother.
    • Very "noisy" renders at night. Not sure if the intent is to reproduce an SLR in low light at max ISO, but that's the effect. I understand why a camera would do that, but not why you would render scenes that way. I suspect the dev is learning here. It is mostly distracting because it is unusual :)
    • Girls in some conversations leave their mouths wide open. Looks odd.

This is one of those AVNs where you get to have sex with pretty much every female that stumbles into your general vicinity (if you make the right choices.) If you are one that races to reach the sexy bits...let's just say you won't be racing all that much :)

Girl models are quite nice.

Recommendation
    Set up a Discord or other forum and let folks help with the translation.

Summary
    While I'm only giving this a three at this point, I think it has a good bit of potential and could easily improve to a four or more over time. Other than distractions around the cons noted, it was enjoyable as far as it went.

With the downsides noted this is worth checking out and keeping an eye on.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

UselessSphinx

Pros
    Renders are decent
    Models are sexy
    Plot is different

Cons
    Writing needs help
    Some scenes inside need extra light

Overall
    It's not a bad VN. It needs some fine tuning to push it over the hump to be a good VN. The plot is different. The models are sexy.
    Now for the issues that I noticed while playing.
    I understand English isn't everyone's first language. The dev even mentioned this. With saying that, Sentences are pretty fragmented. I had to fill in what the dev was trying to get across with the story. With a bit of help this could be fixed easily.
    Lighting was off in the tavern in some places. Understandable because of the time period. A few touch ups here and there could add a bit more light.
    The outside areas at night are pretty dark, but again, understandable.
    Story is different. I won't go into spoilers, but I found it enjoyable. I do recommend this VN even though I gave it a 3/5 rating. Just my opinion. Give it a try. I'll keep an eye out for the next release and see how things go. Good luck to the dev.